Author Topic: Anonymous PL Player on money and reaction to Hancock (Player Wage Cut)  (Read 4164 times)

Online Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Mark Noble? Blowing bubbles clue?

I thought he gave the impression that he used to be on more (when he built up his money) and was on less than before. Gary Cahill was who sprung to mind for me. Probably on more at Chelsea and on less now at Palace.

Love the sentiment though, whoever it is.

Offline RAWK Meltdown #1

• "Assume they got our phones, assume they got our houses, assume they got us, right here, right now as we sit, everything. Assume it all..."
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • " When You Have To Shoot..Shoot...don't TIKI-TAKA"
Ohhh yes....

There are going to be lots of societal and journalistic "glance-backs" and reconciliations when it comes to the obscenity that is footballer's wages. Especially when it is finally admitted that their key function in society, is that of "distraction" for the masses, just as Hollywood and the broader entertainment industry is.... as a whole.

The thing is, they've always existed and evolved as distractions in perpetuity, and have never before faced a time where millions of people have been forced to pause and re-evaluate their true worth, or their true societal contribution juxtaposed with the amount of money and attention they receive.

These are industries that have elbowed their way to the top of the tree and hoodwinked the public that their worth and contribution is far in excess of what it really is, and they've done this due to the sheer "volume" of people who have come to rely on them as a distraction, and that volume, that public "gaze" has translated itself into obscene amounts of cash as sponsors and merchandisers have grabbed hold of these industry "coat-tails" and pumped even more money into their vacuous existence.

And meanwhile....all along....the professions, people and industries that REALLY do have high value to society, have been starved of money, recognition and appreciation whilst everybody has been worshipping the "golden calf" that is the sports and entertainment industry.

Bastards....every one of them!!

(ahem...cough....end of rant)

;D :o
« Last Edit: April 5, 2020, 04:19:22 pm by ...anything will do. »
YNWA

Offline Mark Walters

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Narrowed it down to either Baines, Foster or Jagielka.  It's definitely not Deeney!
"Maybe in life it's impossible to give 100 per cent to your job. Okay, I'll accept 98 per cent" Rafa Benitez

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
Is it Parched

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Snip
The decision to starve those workers of money and recognition was made by a Tory government. Placing the blame on footballers is a distraction from that, tax dodging by large corporations and the vast amounts that go to millionaires in the financial sector, not least the private equity part.

If your solution is to increase taxes on the highest earners and cut out tax loopholes I agree. Anything else is simply unworkable. Footballers get the biggest share of the money their work generates, as they should, as all workers should. That money going to team owners would be the real obscenity. A pay ceiling would probably be illegal under FIFA/UEFA rules but would in any case simply mean the best players go to other leagues. Hell, the reality of a high tax rate would mean that anyway.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Whether it's true or not, the interview raised lots of good points.
I've been amazed for years to hear ordinary punters say stuff like "he's only on £60k per week" when discussing footballers pay, and as the player says, almost fighting on their behalf like they are deserving of public sympathy.

Most people simply have no idea what salaries at that level look like, what they mean after tax and what you can actually buy with that amount of money, which arrives every month, without fail for the duration of the contract.

I've pretty much tuned out of football for the last 3 weeks and to be honest, every day that passes, the less it means to me, and the more grotesque it all looks. It is an artificial bubble created by inflated TV deals that are paid for by subscribers in one way or another, and while you can argue that the handful of elite players are paid according to the rarity of their talent, there's a fuckload of average players, even more average agents and other hangers on such as "pundits" collecting huge amounts for doing fuck all.

Stop paying for football on the telly and burst the bubble. The game will survive, it's just the people within it that need to recalibrate their expectations. Ask yourself this: If the most a player could earn playing for Liverpool and the rest of the top teams was reduced by 95%, do you think it would stop all the kids around the world wearing Liverpool kits from wanting to play for Liverpool? Would the kids be saying naaa, I can only earn £500,000 a year, that's not enough for me.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If the most you can earn in England is £500k it basically turns into the dutch league on steroids

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
If the most you can earn in England is £500k it basically turns into the dutch league on steroids

yet the league isn't significantly improved by having these players earn what they do earn.

Not saying it should be cut back so much mind!

But the earnings of these players in the Prem doesn't equal quality. Take away the top echelon of stars here, and you have a shit ton of mediocrity earning obscene wages. It's pretty disgusting.

It's a massive turn off, and it has been for years, one of the reasons for my dwindingly interest in this league over the past decade.

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
yet the league isn't significantly improved by having these players earn what they do earn.

Not saying it should be cut back so much mind!

But the earnings of these players in the Prem doesn't equal quality. Take away the top echelon of stars here, and you have a shit ton of mediocrity earning obscene wages. It's pretty disgusting.

It's a massive turn off, and it has been for years, one of the reasons for my dwindingly interest in this league over the past decade.
pretty much applies to all sports regarding value for money, will always have a number overpaid, some right and some underpaid and it’s all relative to the income, and as I’ve said before I’d rather the players got the money than the owners, as if the players took a pay cut then ticket prices aren’t falling, merch sales aren’t falling, sky isn’t costing less etc etc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
I'm not sure I care that much to be honest, but I'm talking about a deflating of the bubble across the board.
Short term players will follow the money, but it will level down as leagues across the world no longer have huge TV deals to inflate wages.

My broader point is that if the wage bubble is deflated, the game will go on. Players and those within it will have to survive on far less than they get at the moment.
I don't know whether 500k per year is the "right" amount, I just picked on that number to make the point that kids are still going to want to be footballers even if that's the most they can earn.

All I know is that the current situation is basically a transfer of wealth from the many to very few, and if it stops, all it means is that people who are currently fabulously wealthy have to recalibrate their future earnings aspirations.

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
pretty much applies to all sports regarding value for money, will always have a number overpaid, some right and some underpaid and it’s all relative to the income, and as I’ve said before I’d rather the players got the money than the owners, as if the players took a pay cut then ticket prices aren’t falling, merch sales aren’t falling, sky isn’t costing less etc etc

it does, but the premier league seems to be on a different level, it's absolutely saturated in money, but also in players who are just getting paid a truly obsene amount for their talent, the sort of money they wouldn't get near anywhere else. Not the players fault of course, cos why wouldn't you take advantage of it. But it's just a massive turn-off for this league, for me anyway. A league full of pretty average footballers in the grand scheme of things, wearing shit clothes that cost thousands, driving tacky cars, acting like knobheads all too frequently, and more interested in their social media presence than anything, and the majority of them uterrly detached from reality. Yep, other leagues have it too, just the prem seems on a whole different level.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
it does, but the premier league seems to be on a different level, it's absolutely saturated in money, but also in players who are just getting paid a truly obsene amount for their talent, the sort of money they wouldn't get near anywhere else. Not the players fault of course, cos why wouldn't you take advantage of it. But it's just a massive turn-off for this league, for me anyway. A league full of pretty average footballers in the grand scheme of things, wearing shit clothes that cost thousands, driving tacky cars, acting like knobheads all too frequently, and more interested in their social media presence than anything, and the majority of them uterrly detached from reality. Yep, other leagues have it too, just the prem seems on a whole different level.
+1
Pretty much agree with all of this. Can just about, even though it's still obscene, agree with the rarest talents earning well, but it's the extent to which averageness is rewarded that gets me.
30 years ago, average cloggers owned pubs, sportshops, became postmen etc after finishing playing. Now the same average cloggers never need to work again and it absolutely astounds me that people from "normal" life almost queue up to defend the money average players and those within the game earn.
When the average wage is £3m per year across the premier league, something has gone seriously wrong with how we value contribution to society.
« Last Edit: April 6, 2020, 03:30:31 pm by Charlie Adams fried egg right »

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

would say in terms of mediocrity getting paid the nba wins hands down