Author Topic: Which Airline?  (Read 115300 times)

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Which Airline?
« Reply #1080 on: October 1, 2019, 06:53:17 pm »
Anyone have any recommendation for loyalty programs and points earning?

So much depends on where you live, which routes you fly, and how much you can supplement with credit card bonuses/spend.

If you're in the UK I'd recommend reading headforpoints.com.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1081 on: October 1, 2019, 07:30:52 pm »
So much depends on where you live, which routes you fly, and how much you can supplement with credit card bonuses/spend.

If you're in the UK I'd recommend reading headforpoints.com.

godsavethepoints.com is another good one as well.

Offline ScottScott

• Thugby...It's just not rugger old chap!!!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: October 2, 2019, 03:11:09 pm »
Flying KLM to Hong Hong, Hong Kong Express from Hong Kong to Tokyo and then KLM from Tokyo back to London next year

Anyone used either airline?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1083 on: October 2, 2019, 11:14:15 pm »
Aer Lingus
Heathrow - Dublin - Heathrow day trip for work.

Friendly staff, comfortable seats and nice. I am aware that Ryan air is 30% of the price  and it’s a short flight, but consider the following.

1. There are departures and returns pretty much every hour of the day.
2. Heathrow is easy to get to and not 500 miles up the M11 like Stansted.
3. No silly extra charges.
4. Above all else I claim it back on expenses.
Justice for the 96!

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1084 on: October 3, 2019, 07:00:04 am »
Flying KLM to Hong Hong, Hong Kong Express from Hong Kong to Tokyo and then KLM from Tokyo back to London next year

Anyone used either airline?

Hong Kong Express is a budget airline but decent enough. My advice is pay the extra for the seats in Row 1 as the legroom is great and you get to board first. Well worth it as the HK - Tokyo flight is four hours so quite long.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1085 on: October 7, 2019, 09:54:25 am »
Turkish Airlines LHR-IST-LHR last week.

Echo the comments from people before. Very good food. Comfortable layout on a 777 in Long Haul 3-3-3 set up for a 4 hour flight and on time.

Istanbul new airport is fairly epic as well! Took about 25 minutes form the runway to the terminal on arrival its so far round the taxiways.

Did get a great picture of the Ataturk on the way in as well.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: October 9, 2019, 06:37:25 pm »
Turkish Airlines LHR-IST-LHR last week.

Echo the comments from people before. Very good food. Comfortable layout on a 777 in Long Haul 3-3-3 set up for a 4 hour flight and on time.

Istanbul new airport is fairly epic as well! Took about 25 minutes form the runway to the terminal on arrival its so far round the taxiways.

Did get a great picture of the Ataturk on the way in as well.

Sitting in my hotel bar ironically right by the old Ataturk airport. I also got a great view of the stadium on the way in, still nowt around it just like back in 2005. From touching down to collecting my luggage was almost an hour, it’s massive the taxi to the terminal alone was half an hour!

Good flight and great food once again.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: October 15, 2019, 10:25:49 pm »
Newer aircraft which means wider and comfier seats, superior inflight entertainment, better quality of food and in most cases, better service. The downside is that you do need to stopover at Doha or Dubai but both are world class airports far better than anything in the UK.

Have you been to Doha airport?!

Fucking horrible place. Especially if you want a drink without having to pay an obscene amount of money. Give me Heathrow any day!

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1088 on: October 16, 2019, 01:30:38 pm »
Have you been to Doha airport?!

Fucking horrible place. Especially if you want a drink without having to pay an obscene amount of money. Give me Heathrow any day!
That's Qatar for you, everything costs an arm and leg. I didn't go into the actual terminal as I had a transit flight but the infrastructure was modern and clean.

Heathrow is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Manchester on the other hand is absolutely shocking. Disgusting airport from top to bottom, used to love flying from there but not anymore.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: October 16, 2019, 05:48:28 pm »
That's Qatar for you, everything costs an arm and leg. I didn't go into the actual terminal as I had a transit flight but the infrastructure was modern and clean.

Heathrow is nowhere near as bad as people make it out to be. Manchester on the other hand is absolutely shocking. Disgusting airport from top to bottom, used to love flying from there but not anymore.

I like Heathrow, think it’s decent.

Qatar in the other hand has fuck all in it apart from ridiculously expensive designer shops.

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: October 16, 2019, 09:16:13 pm »

Don’t get me started on Manc airport, fucking disgusting in many, many ways. I am currently in Switzerland and I can’t wait to land into there again tomorrow afternoon. I’m going for 40 mins at immigration and another 20 or more at baggage. Cesspit.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: October 16, 2019, 09:44:07 pm »
Flying with Singapore Airlines soon. Very good from what I remember.

Offline CaseRed

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1092 on: October 17, 2019, 12:42:26 pm »
Flying with Singapore Airlines soon. Very good from what I remember.

Very good and made Emirates look like amateurs in my opinion. Being handed a cocktail menu in economy pretty much as the wheels lifted off the tarmac at Heathrow was a highlight!

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1093 on: October 17, 2019, 01:55:23 pm »
Guys what better when it comes to Qatar?

Boeing 777-300ER or Airbus A350-900?

cheers

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #1094 on: October 17, 2019, 02:40:04 pm »
Personally found the Airbus to be better.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1095 on: October 18, 2019, 08:31:39 pm »
Very good and made Emirates look like amateurs in my opinion. Being handed a cocktail menu in economy pretty much as the wheels lifted off the tarmac at Heathrow was a highlight!
Ah excellent! Just a couple of weeks left!

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: October 26, 2019, 03:19:42 pm »
Not Etihad

Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1097 on: October 29, 2019, 05:42:27 pm »
Back in the Middle East next week with Emirates. Taking a business class upgrade on the way out using some miles and a £90 charge. Been a bit since I’ve been upstairs and propping up that bar. Looking forward to it.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1098 on: November 1, 2019, 05:35:41 pm »
^ nice one, the A380 is a fantastic aircraft. Defo on my bucket list to get upstairs to the bar on Emirates one day

And Rob I’ve been on that Man City plane - didn’t feel right of course :D

Re. Flights to East Asia, at the moment there are some bargains to be had with Cathay (for obvious reasons). I just booked my chrimbo flights with them (not stopping over in HK though - just a 2 hour layover)

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1099 on: November 1, 2019, 05:38:24 pm »
^ nice one, the A380 is a fantastic aircraft. Defo on my bucket list to get upstairs to the bar on Emirates one day

Re. Flights to East Asia, at the moment there are some bargains to be had with Cathay (for obvious reasons). I just booked my chrimbo flights with them (not stopping over in HK though - just a 2 hour layover)

Thats a bucket list one of mine too. Been upstairs, but only in the economy bit. Brother in law always does business, earns bloody thousands of air miles through his job.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline red vinyl

• Kopite
« Reply #1100 on: November 1, 2019, 06:02:03 pm »

Im flying to Honk Kong and onto the Phillipines sunday,are the flights cheaper because of the unrest there?

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: November 1, 2019, 06:53:19 pm »
^ Yes I think so. It must be? I booked one-way Brussels to Singapore (in December) and Cathay was way cheaper, even cheaper than Turkish and the middle eastern big 3,  on Expedia

Offline Livbes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: November 3, 2019, 06:46:32 pm »

Absolutely amazing once again. The only negative was that the flight was only 6hrs 30. ;)

Offline kavah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1103 on: November 4, 2019, 12:57:23 am »
Absolutely amazing once again. The only negative was that the flight was only 6hrs 30. ;)

Ha ha - you know it's been a good one when you could watch another movie and have another cold beer

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1104 on: December 1, 2019, 04:07:04 pm »
I’m thinking of doing a long haul flight with my young daughter, she will be about 9 months old at the time.

Can anyone recommend a good airline for this? Was there some sort of basket for her to stretch out in? How did the trip go for you?

Any tips for when I book? Is there any extras I should request?

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline rob1966

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: December 1, 2019, 04:12:17 pm »
I’m thinking of doing a long haul flight with my young daughter, she will be about 9 months old at the time.

Can anyone recommend a good airline for this? Was there some sort of basket for her to stretch out in? How did the trip go for you?

Where are you flying to?

Didn't take my kids long haul when they were really little, but have seen other parents on long hauls since and they do have cots for little ones. Longest flights we did when they were little were 4 1/2 hours to Tenerife, we made sure we had plenty of things to keep them amused.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #1106 on: December 1, 2019, 04:24:53 pm »
Where are you flying to?

Didn't take my kids long haul when they were really little, but have seen other parents on long hauls since and they do have cots for little ones. Longest flights we did when they were little were 4 1/2 hours to Tenerife, we made sure we had plenty of things to keep them amused.

Thanks for that, I’ll be flying Bangkok to Dublin... so about 13 hours total!

Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1107 on: December 1, 2019, 04:58:55 pm »

Can anyone recommend a good airline for this? Was there some sort of basket for her to stretch out in? How did the trip go for you? Y

I’ve used sky cots on long haul years ago but think 9 months is too old , mine were only a few months old and they also limited as well .

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #1108 on: December 1, 2019, 09:05:01 pm »
What’s BA like to New York ? Anyone made this trip ?.

Flying Edinburgh to Heathrow then onto JFK on Wednesday

Offline SalisburyRed

• No fun "budding young Tory"!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1109 on: December 2, 2019, 03:14:27 am »

Economy is pretty unremarkable but not bad. If you're flying business class you may get to try the new Club Suite, depending on which plane you're on.

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1110 on: December 2, 2019, 03:22:02 am »

I did JFK to Heathrow about a month ago. I'd heard horror stories about Economy but it was surprisingly okay. Or maybe my expectations were very low :)

Food's edible at least and they have pretty decent drinks options. The only thing I would worry about is delays-- 3 out of my last 4 BA flights have been delayed by a couple hours at least, and this was in 3 different cities-- Bangalore, NYC, London. So if you have connecting flights or somewhere to be where you can't afford any delays, I'd probably look somewhere else to be honest
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline ScottishKopite

• Kopite
« Reply #1111 on: December 2, 2019, 08:43:55 am »
I did JFK to Heathrow about a month ago. I'd heard horror stories about Economy but it was surprisingly okay. Or maybe my expectations were very low :)

Food's edible at least and they have pretty decent drinks options. The only thing I would worry about is delays-- 3 out of my last 4 BA flights have been delayed by a couple hours at least, and this was in 3 different cities-- Bangalore, NYC, London. So if you have connecting flights or somewhere to be where you can't afford any delays, I'd probably look somewhere else to be honest

Thanks mate. Flying from Edinburgh via BA to London like a 2hr wait same when coming back fingers crossed no delays.

Offline DanJay87

• Legacy Fan
  • Gosh it's Tosh!
« Reply #1112 on: December 2, 2019, 11:39:54 am »
Moving back home from Singapore this Christmas. I've been absolutely spoilt with having Changi on my doorstep. Skews your expectations!

Offline ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #1113 on: December 2, 2019, 03:09:32 pm »
Thanks mate. Flying from Edinburgh via BA to London like a 2hr wait same when coming back fingers crossed no delays.

No worries.

Just a tip for next time, if it costs around the same, it might actually be easier flying into the US from Shannon, because they have immigration pre-clearance there. That basically means when you land in the US, you just pick up your luggage walk out, like a domestic flyer.

I've used it a couple of times and it's saved me hours of standing in line at JFK/LAX
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: June 4, 2022, 09:17:30 pm »
I recently flew with United Airlines. They were £250 cheaper on the LHR-EWR route than BA. I flew with then pre-pandemic and expected a cheap nasty product. The fact that I had an ok flying experience left me pleasantly surprised. Yes, the 767-300 is getting old, but it was clean and the IFE was good. Their staff were for the most part nice and their app is really good. While I would pick BA or Virgin over United if price was not an issue, I would not be upset to have to fly with United on the same route again.

That said, the departure area of Newark Airport was not a nice experience. It reminded me of JFK in on a bad day.
Justice for the 96!

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: June 5, 2022, 12:15:39 am »
I recently flew with United Airlines. They were £250 cheaper on the LHR-EWR route than BA. I flew with then pre-pandemic and expected a cheap nasty product. The fact that I had an ok flying experience left me pleasantly surprised. Yes, the 767-300 is getting old, but it was clean and the IFE was good. Their staff were for the most part nice and their app is really good. While I would pick BA or Virgin over United if price was not an issue, I would not be upset to have to fly with United on the same route again.

That said, the departure area of Newark Airport was not a nice experience. It reminded me of JFK in on a bad day.
My Dad said the same about Newark when he flew out of there just before the Xmas hols when he picked my Daughter up in Hoboken to fly back to London, said it's the worst airport he's been to, next time he'll fly to JFK and just get transport to Hoboken.

I haven't flown Transatlantic with BA in years, i prefer American Airlines, added bonus of flying with AA out of LHR is Terminal 3 where you can use the Cathay Pacific lounge that has an insane buffet and Noodle Bar, sweet and sour meatballs with rice and some Dan Dan Noodles every time. :D

I still haven't flown on a 787 Dreamliner. :-\
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline MrGrumpy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1116 on: June 5, 2022, 02:07:28 am »
My Dad said the same about Newark when he flew out of there just before the Xmas hols when he picked my Daughter up in Hoboken to fly back to London, said it's the worst airport he's been to, next time he'll fly to JFK and just get transport to Hoboken.

Flying in to Newark was a pleasure, immigration and baggage collection was super fast. In the past, Asian friends I have flown through the airport with received racist treatment from airport staff but they treated the South Asian family ahead of us at immigration with respect.

The departures area was filthy and chaotic. Few staff and those that were there were ill trained. Even though our flight was running late, they could not even get the duty free to the gate on time.

I flew one pre-pandemic. The main bonus is that you won’t feel as tired at the other end.
Justice for the 96!

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #1117 on: June 5, 2022, 12:01:13 pm »
whichever one goes to where I'm going, fastest and best (fuck |Ryanair)

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: June 5, 2022, 09:03:47 pm »

You aren’t missing anything. I went on one to Mexico and then back again, was no different to any plane you’d get to somewhere like Spain or Greece.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a £25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: June 5, 2022, 11:17:30 pm »
You aren’t missing anything. I went on one to Mexico and then back again, was no different to any plane you’d get to somewhere like Spain or Greece.
I'm guessing you flew with TUI? Their 787's are nothing special. It's when you step onto an A380, A350 or B777 with a proper airline that you feel the gulf in class, similar to us and Everton.