Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349471 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**
« Reply #5040 on: December 27, 2017, 11:25:22 am »
Thought it was decent and it's an interesting start to the new Doctor's run.  Expect the fact that she only just regenerated means she can survive the fall.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5041 on: December 27, 2017, 12:26:38 pm »
I was wondering if the sexist comments was a little dig at peoples reaction to the new Doctor
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red in Korea

• Claims to be from Korea but we're not convinced...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5042 on: December 27, 2017, 12:57:19 pm »
I was wondering if the sexist comments was a little dig at peoples reaction to the new Doctor

Agreed. 100%.

Enjoyed the Christmas episode mostly as a farewell to Capaldi, who has been an excellent doctor. Thought the story was almost incedental to everything else going on, but enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm still worried that the new series is going to tank, though.
"What is called for is dignity. We need to set an example." Kenny Dalglish

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #5043 on: December 27, 2017, 05:09:16 pm »
Wonder if they are going for a Pertwee 'Stuck on Earth' without a TARDIS view

Online Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #5044 on: December 27, 2017, 07:51:32 pm »

That was the intention but at the cost of damaging the character of the first Doctor, didn't really sit well with me.

Still good though, looking forward to the new season :)
:D

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5045 on: December 27, 2017, 08:43:56 pm »
That was the intention but at the cost of damaging the character of the first Doctor, didn't really sit well with me.

Still good though, looking forward to the new season :)

I agree.  Considering all the hype about him being an alien and his race can switch genders during regeneration it was vaguely ridiculous to insert such blatant 60s sexism into the character.  I'm not expert on early Who but I'm pretty sure that's not how Hartnell played the role, even if that's the way he behaved in real life.

Clara Oswald did far more damage to the fabric of the show than anything they're doing now.  I've just lost interest in it since her.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5046 on: December 28, 2017, 09:06:49 am »
I agree.  Considering all the hype about him being an alien and his race can switch genders during regeneration it was vaguely ridiculous to insert such blatant 60s sexism into the character.  I'm not expert on early Who but I'm pretty sure that's not how Hartnell played the role, even if that's the way he behaved in real life.

Clara Oswald did far more damage to the fabric of the show than anything they're doing now.  I've just lost interest in it since her.

I guess there was, all the girls did really was scream and used as a device to explain to the viewers what was going on because they always had to explain to female assistant what was happening.

And in the first 1 the girl went off to make the tea.

Put on the plus side a lot of the girls in the early series had really good jobs in science etc before they joined him.

But I don't think the Doctor was sexist but I guess there will be examples if you checked all the old ones.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5047 on: December 28, 2017, 12:12:13 pm »
I guess there was, all the girls did really was scream and used as a device to explain to the viewers what was going on because they always had to explain to female assistant what was happening.

And in the first 1 the girl went off to make the tea.

Put on the plus side a lot of the girls in the early series had really good jobs in science etc before they joined him.

But I don't think the Doctor was sexist but I guess there will be examples if you checked all the old ones.

Yes there was a lot of that sort of sexist crap within the writing of the show.  But I do think the writers were aware of it and worked hard to keep it to a minimum.  I think also when characters were outright sexist it tended to be human characters, not the Doctor. 

You'd expect it a little bit from the Brigadier for example; I remember a second doctor clip when the Brigadier told a woman a mission was too dangerous because she was a woman and she absolutely fumed at him.  "Why you - you - you man!;D

You look at characters like Susan and Barbara and they never seemed to be weak or stereotypes.  Leela might have been for the dads in her skimpy little outfit but she was a warrior; then there's Liz Shaw, Sarah Jane Smith etc.

In many ways the show was sexist, but it also openly challenged that within itself and evolved. 
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #5048 on: December 29, 2017, 06:11:36 pm »
I'd imagine a lot of shows from the 60s would be totally unacceptable now. Even the news and weather was probably only read by men. Maybe the hartnell sexism was overcooked, but it was done in a humourus way , and as said earlier gave Bill a great line.
Not the best episode ever, but a long way from being the worst. Roll on new series.
(Everything seems better now we have vvd)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5049 on: January 1, 2018, 12:40:34 pm »
I'd imagine a lot of shows from the 60s would be totally unacceptable now. Even the news and weather was probably only read by men. Maybe the hartnell sexism was overcooked, but it was done in a humourus way , and as said earlier gave Bill a great line.
Not the best episode ever, but a long way from being the worst. Roll on new series.
(Everything seems better now we have vvd)

Never mind the 60s. Many 80s sitcoms are rife with sexism and xenophobia.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #5050 on: January 1, 2018, 01:31:11 pm »
Never mind the 60s. Many 80s sitcoms are rife with sexism and xenophobia.

True. I'd actually argue that '80's Doctor Who was worse for sexism than '60's. Nathan-Turners tenure and Peri spring to mind. All that getting her to run around and bouncing cleavage wasn't an accident. Although my 15 year old self wasn't complaining at the time  :-[
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #5051 on: January 4, 2018, 03:48:22 pm »
True. I'd actually argue that '80's Doctor Who was worse for sexism than '60's. Nathan-Turners tenure and Peri spring to mind. All that getting her to run around and bouncing cleavage wasn't an accident. Although my 15 year old self wasn't complaining at the time  :-[

You mean...
https://youtu.be/7pSOh8fXOhk
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5052 on: January 5, 2018, 07:08:57 am »
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5053 on: January 9, 2018, 12:43:17 am »
Its that in your favorites?

No, I had to look it up. I have a mate who watches it quite regularly though.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5054 on: February 19, 2018, 03:45:31 pm »
Interesting development

Murray Gold that has composed the music for Doctor Who since 2005 is leaving.

One thing that has always been strong with the rebooted Doctor who is the score and the use of the Philharmonic orchestra.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5055 on: February 19, 2018, 04:19:43 pm »
Interesting development

One thing that has always been strong with the rebooted Doctor who is the score and the use of the Philharmonic orchestra.

Get the KLF in!

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5056 on: February 19, 2018, 05:15:00 pm »
Interesting development

Oh thank fuck for that. The most annoying thing about nu who is the bloody awful music, particularly through the Tennant era, so OTT and usually mixed so loud it obscured the dialogue.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5057 on: February 20, 2018, 06:43:46 pm »

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5058 on: June 26, 2018, 11:45:56 pm »
Looks like a 50+ second clip of footage from episode 1 of the new series got leaked online. Nothing too spoilerific but thought it was quite good.

They aren't toning her accent down at all. Proper yorkshire

Oh and Segun Akinola has been brought in as composer. Pretty unknown but it's been said they are redoing the theme music
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 11:48:08 pm by gazzalfc »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #5059 on: June 29, 2018, 01:30:33 pm »
When the Doctor regenerates next time, he/she should come back as a talking carrot with a smart bow tie. In a twist, his sonic screwdriver should regenerate as well into a transformer like vehicle that carries Doctor Carrot around.

Too long have the media portrayals of vegetables been denied us in action and speaking roles.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5060 on: June 29, 2018, 01:39:45 pm »
When the Doctor regenerates next time, he/she should come back as a talking carrot with a smart bow tie. In a twist, his sonic screwdriver should regenerate as well into a transformer like vehicle that carries Doctor Carrot around.

Too long have the media portrayals of vegetables been denied us in action and speaking roles.

When people try too hard.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5061 on: June 29, 2018, 05:05:42 pm »
Pfft. They don't even have carrots on Gallifrey, everyone knows that.

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #5062 on: June 30, 2018, 12:25:47 am »
Pfft. They don't even have carrots on Gallifrey, everyone knows that.

But Doctor Who does have talking carrots.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Salad_Daze_(comic_story)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5063 on: July 21, 2018, 12:08:31 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEc-OQ_oqDk

Just in case anybody is left still waiting for this.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #5064 on: September 5, 2018, 06:33:46 pm »
Returns on 7th October (which is a Sunday).

Seems like that's about right for a run through to a Christmas special/season finale in one.

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5065 on: September 27, 2018, 09:40:40 am »
Really looking forward to this.

Wasn't really a fan of the last series

Hopefully the new Doctor and series leader will freshen it up enough
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #5066 on: October 1, 2018, 01:21:29 pm »
All fine with a girl Doctor but holy fuck that accent is gonna annoy the fuck out of me :/

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #5067 on: October 1, 2018, 01:51:00 pm »
The accent's fine - the problem is when they call attention to it. Look at the bit when she said "tongue".  That was there for no other reason other than to go "look how silly tongue is pronounced in a Northern accent!". They never did anything like that with Christopher Eccleston (that I can recall).

Hopefully that's it and it doesn't become a thing.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5068 on: October 1, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
The accent's fine - the problem is when they call attention to it. Look at the bit when she said "tongue".  That was there for no other reason other than to go "look how silly tongue is pronounced in a Northern accent!". They never did anything like that with Christopher Eccleston (that I can recall).

Hopefully that's it and it doesn't become a thing.

Rose asks the Doctor if he's from another planet, why does he sound like he's "from the North". The Doctor says lots of planets have a North. They also had some fun with Capaldi being Scottish and how he could sound really angry because he sounded Scottish.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5069 on: October 1, 2018, 08:55:41 pm »
All fine with a girl Doctor but holy fuck that accent is gonna annoy the fuck out of me :/

I came in with exactly the same sentiment, based on her radio interviews. 
Gonna be hard to make it past a few episodes if I can't adjust. That's my problem though, not doctor whos

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5070 on: October 6, 2018, 01:14:17 pm »
Really hoping I can get my eight year old into the new series. Will be so weird her having no concept of a male doctor.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5071 on: October 6, 2018, 01:22:17 pm »
I like the look of the trailer but who they hell choose the music on it makes no sense.

Hopefully it will get good ratings on after countryfile and before Strictly with nothing really on ITV it could be a good spot.

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5072 on: October 7, 2018, 07:55:33 pm »
Really enjoyed the first one and near enough the original theme music is back.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5073 on: October 7, 2018, 08:34:48 pm »
Really enjoyed the first one and near enough the original theme music is back.

Yes, great opener and the new music is much better. The music, mostly the incidental music, has been a consistent bugbear for me since they brought the show back, but it was a lot better tonight. You can hear the dialogue, which helps.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5074 on: October 7, 2018, 10:33:02 pm »
No mention of timelords, time war, daleks etc. Not even seen the TARDIS.

But there's no mistaking that this is Doctor who

Feels very much like pre Eccleston doctor who. Very much monster of the week but at the same time this is more about the doctor just walking into a room and solving everything matter of factly rather than running then stumbling onto the right answer like previous incarnations.

That also means the companions will end up as background fodder.

It's going to be a kind of series where it's going to be fine if you miss a week or 2.

I enjoyed it but I can see it becoming a bit boring eventually

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5075 on: October 7, 2018, 10:36:59 pm »
How long till Andy admits he’s watched it....?

It didn’t matter that the Doctor was female at all... given that the doctor is pretty much asexual most of the time, and isn’t particularly physical, there doesn’t seem to be anything that particular defines the character as male other than precedence.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5076 on: October 7, 2018, 11:14:08 pm »
I would love to see in a future episode where she flirts her way out of a dangerous spot. The doctor now has that in her armory to use against man and its none violent.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #5077 on: October 8, 2018, 08:31:07 am »
I would love to see in a future episode where she flirts her way out of a dangerous spot. The doctor now has that in her armory to use against man and its none violent.

Err...
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #5078 on: October 8, 2018, 09:32:15 am »

:o

Offline ashleyrose-66

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Back on our perch!
« Reply #5079 on: October 8, 2018, 10:38:14 am »
Personally, I thought it was a fairly weak opening last night.   The new Doctor's introduction was ridiculous.  She fell from the Tardis after regenerating and despite falling all that way on to a train, landed completely unscathed!  However, Doctor 6 (Colin Baker) regenerated after falling over in his TARDIS!
I just didn't like the story, it all felt a bit rushed in the end.  I hope it'll pick up in the coming weeks.

Another point: What I don't understand is how no-one on Earth knows who The Doctor is?

In the past 13 years (since the series was re-launched) we have had a huge number of massive incidents here on Earth, including a spaceship clipping Big Ben and crashing in to the Thames, the Cyermen and Daleks collectively attacking Earth and filling the skies and also The Master controlling everyone's brain, cloning himself and becoming Prime Minister.   The Doctor (in various guises) has saved the World on numerous occasions over the past decade or so, and yet when he/she meets people, they have absolutely no idea who he/she is!