Author Topic: Doctor Who **USE SPOILER TAGS PLEASE**  (Read 349529 times)

Offline finchie

• It's the truth I tells ya!... the truth!...
  • Kopite
Re: New Doctor Who
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2010, 12:31:15 pm »
As the Doctor tells Professor Wagg "a secret" ("I'm half-human on my mother's side")
http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Doctor_Who_(1996)

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #241 on: April 23, 2010, 03:47:34 pm »
Weak story, Smith was good.

ANd there have been a ton of multi coloured Daleks in the past. That non-canon film with Peter Cushing as the Doctor was a rainbow of daleks from what I remember.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #242 on: April 23, 2010, 05:39:14 pm »
ANd there have been a ton of multi coloured Daleks in the past. That non-canon film with Peter Cushing as the Doctor was a rainbow of daleks from what I remember.

And they were shit then too.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #243 on: April 23, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »
canon?

*Points and sniggers*

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #244 on: April 23, 2010, 06:13:19 pm »
Weak story, Smith was good.

They referred to that in the DW Confidential. I think the new ones are a bit shit myself. The classic Dalek shape belongs in the design classics thread and the minor detail changes in the first series of the new Doctor Who just enhanced them. I don't mind the colours - the black and gold Daleks in the movie were ace.

Classic Dalek styling with the steeper angle at the front and flatter at the back. It doesn't matter that they were that shape because they had a tricycle inside - they were just spot on.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #245 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17:37 pm »
Daleks just ain't scary to kids now...they are pretty pointless as an enemy nowadays i think. They should have gone the BSG route and evolved them into stomping scary bastards like the new cylons....keep a few of the traits...voice (except deeper and not so fuckin annoying) plunger, balls (ooh err missus) but meh....BSG did it so missed the boat.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #246 on: April 23, 2010, 08:52:11 pm »
canon?

*Points and sniggers*

*beats you with plastic lightsabre*

Offline Art Vandelay

• a.k.a. Terry Gilliam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #247 on: April 24, 2010, 07:36:01 pm »
Them statues are still as scary as fuck.  Which is nice.
"And on the pedestal these words appear: 'My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings: Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!' Nothing beside remains."

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #248 on: April 24, 2010, 07:48:10 pm »
Thought that was pretty good.

Judging by next week's preview, either that crack isn't the series plot device we thought it was, or else they are being really fucking obvious about it.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #249 on: April 24, 2010, 08:43:04 pm »
Judging by next week's preview, either that crack isn't the series plot device we thought it was, or else they are being really fucking obvious about it.

The second one I'm guessing, if it's the first then credit to Moffat for the red herring.

Perhaps first episode of the new series were everything fitted together properly, seems like there was always something a little off with the previous works, even though the stories have been good, some nice dialog and good characters.

Certainly got a few scares there, some very nice twists. Enjoying Pond and the Doctor throughout the series, the addition of a certain other character for this one didn't hurt.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #250 on: April 24, 2010, 11:56:44 pm »
That was brill!
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline mildale

• Mildly Jealous of a custom title
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #251 on: April 24, 2010, 11:57:50 pm »
Good episode, love the Angels. Looks like the crack in the wall was a red herring, which is good news as well, looking forward to next weeks episode.
www.twitter.com/mildale89

Oh and dont use Mars bars as sex tools. Took me ages to get it all out.

Offline MagicB8all

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh
« Reply #252 on: April 25, 2010, 01:20:41 am »
Daleks just ain't scary to kids now...they are pretty pointless as an enemy nowadays i think. They should have gone the BSG route and evolved them into stomping scary bastards like the new cylons....keep a few of the traits...voice (except deeper and not so fuckin annoying) plunger, balls (ooh err missus) but meh....BSG did it so missed the boat.
a Cybermen dalek fusion would be interesting

Just watching the first Dr Who of the new season - the Crack episode. Reminds me of Douglas Adam's SEP, you know Someone Else's Problem, one you can only see from the corner of your eye.   Maybe it's just me, but the series feels rehashed somehow and not new or a reboot ... oh well
Goodbye & thank you Rafa. You've given us more than we ever had a right to expect from you and you stayed loyal and fought for us even when some of our own turned on you. I truly hope that you find somewhere with the support that you deserve & win everything in sight.

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #253 on: April 25, 2010, 09:12:38 pm »
Loved everything about it except the look of the statues. They looked like people dressed up!

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #254 on: April 25, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »
Loved everything about it except the look of the statues. They looked like people dressed up!

They were.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2010, 09:15:33 pm »
Much much better. David Who?

Online Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2010, 09:15:42 pm »
They were.

I know, and the other statues weren't and looked better.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #257 on: April 26, 2010, 02:26:09 am »
Oh why can't Moffatt write every episode? That was fantastic, definitely 'Aliens' to Blink's 'Alien'.

Smith and Gillan continue to impress me a lot, the seem very comfortable in the roles already and I'm enjoying how quick to anger Smith is, he's got much more of an edge, and his impression of the Tardis noise was hilarious. I was very impressed with the opening too, Moffatt is very good at thinking fourth dimensionally (like in Blink) which is strangely underused by the recent series', it's a time machine for chrisake, use it! The Church Army was a cool idea but did make me think of that Monty Python sketch.

The new poorly defined Angels were even creepier than before and the big twist was great, can't believe I didn't see it coming though! All the new elements introduced to them worked, possessing people, inhabiting the video and stealing Bob's voice (think he lifted that idea from The Forrest of the Dead though) made them even better. Can't imagine how many kids were scared shitless at them. Oh, and fuck you BBC for plastering a giant cartoon Graham Fucking Norton across the screen right at the dramatic finale, it even cut off part of Matt Smith's face.

And what the fuck was Mike Skinner doing as the guard with the lipstick right at the beginning?
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline gjr1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #258 on: April 26, 2010, 02:33:48 am »
Really liking the new series.

Like the new Doctor but I liked the 2 previous as well. Not convinced with the new assistant yet. Rose and Donna where much better.

1st episode was really good. Had a lot to set up and did it really well I thought in the time it had. The story I guess was secondary due to having to introduce the Doctor, Pond and her boyfriend (who appears in at least one more episode). Loved the bit on the roof with the montage to the other Doctors.

2nd episode was OK. Didn't really like the Liz 10 bit but liked most of it.

3rd Episode was not to my taste. Daleks been done to death and now there's these new Uber daleks. I know they're his greatest enemy but I think it's time to move on.

4th Episode was by far the best. Some really good stuff and I can't wait for the conclusion. Liking the "wife" part but with the throwaway "prison" line she doesn't seem to be all she's being made out to be.

Other bits. Hate the new theme tune. Should have left that alone. Although the music that's played during the shows when the Doctor is doing his stuff is great. Love the new look inside the TARDIS also.

All in all pretty good.
Obi-Wan:
Mos Eisley spaceport. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious.

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #259 on: April 26, 2010, 02:47:51 am »

Although when Churchill says to Amy "keep buggering on" I expected him to turn to her with a suggestive wink brandishing a lubed up cigar.

Got very very drunk on a stag do over the weekend. At about 5am saturday morning after stumbling back to our hotel room, for some reason I remembered this quote. Quite why I don't know, but at the time it was the funniest thing in the world, ever. SO thank you Mouth for that. Infact i'm laughing right now again.

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #260 on: April 26, 2010, 08:13:19 am »
MoffAt wrote them all bar victory I think which was gatiss
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #261 on: April 26, 2010, 10:37:52 am »
Still absolutely loving matt smith, was a great episode this week, scary for adults as well as kids, some creepy stuff going on, cant wait for next weeks now.
I#m liking amy more as the show goes on too, donna is still my favourite but i like the way her and smith always seem to be one step away from a row, its good chemistry without being all lovey etc (yet??? )

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2010, 11:58:50 am »
Well that was much more like it.  And that flickering Weeping Angel coming out of the monitor was loads more scary than all the other ones slowly chasing them.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #263 on: April 26, 2010, 12:08:29 pm »
Oh why can't Moffatt write every episode? That was fantastic, definitely 'Aliens' to Blink's 'Alien'.

I think he has written too many episodes.

His genius has been spread too thin. The last episode showed what he can do, as opposed to the hints of what he can do in the first 2.  I would rather have a couple of brilliant episodes written by him and him guiding the rest of the season, sprinkling nice touches here and there.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #264 on: April 26, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »
Doctor Who episode guide for this series shows who's writing which episode, mild spoilers in the plot synopsis for those who don't want to know.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline RJH

• doesn't know his alphabet
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #265 on: April 26, 2010, 03:21:26 pm »
Interesting set of writers there.

Whithouse, Roberts and Chibnall have all written for Doctor Who before.
Whithouse created Being Human, and Chibnall was one of the main Torchwood writers.

Nye created Men Behaving Badly, and Richard Curtis is well, Richard Curtis.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #266 on: April 26, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »
and his impression of the Tardis noise was hilarious.

He always leaves the brakes on :)
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #267 on: April 27, 2010, 01:43:24 pm »
Loved it.

Oooh Doctor sonic me!

Saw the Confidential as well, Alex Kingston spoke about in the first Library double ep, when she was listing off events from her diary to determine when there time-lines were crossing, one of the events she listed was "Crash of the Byzantium" which is obviously this one, so that's very cool.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 01:58:53 pm by Ultimate Bromance »
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline reniformis

• Legacy Fan
  • Innocence and Arrogance Entwined
« Reply #268 on: April 27, 2010, 11:50:57 pm »
Loved it.

Oooh Doctor sonic me!

Saw the Confidential as well, Alex Kingston spoke about in the first Library double ep, when she was listing off events from her diary to determine when there time-lines were crossing, one of the events she listed was "Crash of the Byzantium" which is obviously this one, so that's very cool.

Good spot. What was the one she asked this time? The Boe Fields or summat?

Anyway, the Weeping Angels surely have to go down as the best Doctor Who monsters yet. No CGI. No fat blokes in crap green rubber suits. They don't even move. But they'll scare the kids shitless. Genius.
The Past Is Only The Future With The Lights On

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #269 on: April 28, 2010, 07:01:03 pm »
Good spot. What was the one she asked this time? The Boe Fields or summat?

Anyway, the Weeping Angels surely have to go down as the best Doctor Who monsters yet. No CGI. No fat blokes in crap green rubber suits. They don't even move. But they'll scare the kids shitless. Genius.

They were even better than in "Blink" I thought - there was a definite nod to the original "Ringu"

I've put this in spoiler tags because it still freaks me out:

Spoiler
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cQm3BV6s0r8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cQm3BV6s0r8&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1</a>
[close]
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #270 on: April 29, 2010, 01:42:28 am »

www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #271 on: May 1, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »
MoffAt wrote them all bar victory I think which was gatiss

I think Moffat had one or two other writers as well as Mark Gatiss for this series.

Have to say, I thoroughly enjoyed this evenings episode.  Scary at times, Dr. losing it now and again, and that end sequence was quite funny as well :)
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline jaygraham

• Fiction is not the same as FACT
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #272 on: May 1, 2010, 09:11:20 pm »
Is it wrong that i feel jealous of the doctor now, having Amy literally throwing herself upon him.....???

It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here/ and i'm most obliged to you for making it clear/ that i'm not here

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #273 on: May 1, 2010, 09:21:41 pm »
Is it wrong that i feel jealous of the doctor now, having Amy literally throwing herself upon him.....???

Thought she was going to get naked on the bed (well hoping) :D I'm loving this new series and all the changes.

Offline MichaelA

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
« Reply #274 on: May 1, 2010, 09:55:11 pm »
That ticked all the boxes tonight. And Angel Bob said Doctorin' The Tardis ;D

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #275 on: May 1, 2010, 10:47:56 pm »
And Angel Bob said Doctorin' The Tardis ;D

I liked that bit.

Why is it the Angels can only move when you aren't looking?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Alan_X

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #276 on: May 1, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »
Very good episode. Matt Smith has made the part his own. Some really great touches - the Amy countdown was really spooky, in fact the whole episode had a great tension to it.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #277 on: May 2, 2010, 09:40:20 am »
I liked that bit.

They were quantum locked, or something.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #278 on: May 2, 2010, 10:10:30 am »
I liked that bit.

http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Weeping_Angel
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline MagicHat

• Seeks SingleBunny For Professional Relationship And Cosy Nights In
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #279 on: May 2, 2010, 11:18:02 am »
Every episode, we see a new side of Smith's doctor, really like Smith's doctor. Agree with the concerns Moffat has spread himself too thin though the stories have been good

Less of a scary episode, more of the "forget to breath" tension which isn't a complaint. Loved the ending with Pond and the Doctor, made me laugh