Author Topic: Youth and Under 23 Thread  (Read 12305561 times)

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: So what are these Youth/Reserve lads like?
« Reply #93600 on: July 15, 2017, 06:48:10 pm »
Chirivella reminds me of Fabregas, I don't think he's quite on his level but he's clearly a very talented, technical player who isn't a great athlete. I think he's one of a number of players (Wilson, Kent, Ojo and others) who we might keep around the club for longer than we've kept previous prospects because they all have the potential to be truly great players but chances are they'll never get to that level. They're all really interesting prospects, all capable of becoming CL level players but all likely to become Championship players.
I expect wilson, Kent and Ojo to all become PL level players. Especially Ojo.

Offline Maldini

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93601 on: July 15, 2017, 07:08:27 pm »
I expect wilson, Kent and Ojo to all become PL level players. Especially Ojo.

Yeah, I might have been a bit harsh calling them Championship players. I kinda mean they all might end up being good enough for us but chances are they won't. All of em could turn out to be top quality but there are so many hurdles for young players to jump over these days they might not ever fulfill their potential.

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93602 on: July 15, 2017, 07:13:36 pm »
Yeah, I might have been a bit harsh calling them Championship players. I kinda mean they all might end up being good enough for us but chances are they won't. All of em could turn out to be top quality but there are so many hurdles for young players to jump over these days they might not ever fulfill their potential.
I agree with your larger point.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #93603 on: July 15, 2017, 08:46:31 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MPGaXli1uks" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MPGaXli1uks</a>

In that video Ojo looks much more like a natural winger of the oldschool variety (i.e. "get to the by-line and put a cross in") rather than the sort of give-and-go winger perfectly suited to Klopp's style, and though it's obviously only a preseason friendly and a small sample size, but based on the last few all-touches videos of Ojo (incuding from the youth world cup recently) I think he'd probably be a bigger success at a club who play with a target man or two strikers for him to aim at from out wide, given how much 1v1's and crosses seem to be a much bigger part of his game than slick inter-play.

This observation is especially stark when you compare him stylistically to Wilson who is great with a give-and-go, as well as Kent who has looked good in interplay with Woodburn among others.

Offline rickardinho1

• Legacy Fan
  • The Earth is Flat
« Reply #93604 on: July 15, 2017, 09:05:18 pm »
Does anyone have any updates on Allan?

Last I heard he wouldn't be going back to Hertha Berlin, but he doesn't appear to be in training with the first team either. Interesting player to consider given Can's contract situation. Allan could very well be Can's direct replacement in the first team next summer (if he gets a work permit).

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93605 on: July 15, 2017, 10:39:28 pm »
Always seemed to play it extremely safe and not really show anything out of the ordinary, played well vs Tranmere though.

I'd actually say quite the opposite, seems to play it forward more often than not

Breaks up play well, reads the game really well to get into good positions to intercept

Make him a bit stronger and i think it would add a great deal to his game.

Offline SausageBE

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93606 on: July 16, 2017, 08:02:25 am »

Last I heard he wouldn't be going back to Hertha Berlin, but he doesn't appear to be in training with the first team either. Interesting player to consider given Can's contract situation. Allan could very well be Can's direct replacement in the first team next summer (if he gets a work permit).

Yes, i heard conflicting reports from German media, either that Hertha is not willing to pay a loan fee, or that the clubs agreed on another loan (without any fee or with just a small one), but that Allan's agent came up with some demands (presumably regarding playing time? just a guess though), that Hertha didn't agree to.
I watched all his appearances for Hertha and i'm not sure, if he will ever be able to replace Can. He's not ready to be a starter for Hertha at all right now, which is why Hertha would only be willing to take him as "another option" and not as an important player (hence the lack of willingness to pay a loan fee).

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93607 on: July 16, 2017, 09:02:14 am »
I'd actually say quite the opposite, seems to play it forward more often than not

Breaks up play well, reads the game really well to get into good positions to intercept

Make him a bit stronger and i think it would add a great deal to his game.

Agreed, I'll be keen to see his progress this year, whether with us or out on loan.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #93608 on: July 16, 2017, 09:37:33 am »

Last I read was we wanted Hertha to qualify for the Europa league group stage before we would sanction a loan move , they needed to win their last game which they lost but I'm sure they still qualified with Bayern winning their last game .

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93609 on: July 16, 2017, 09:48:10 am »
Yes, i heard conflicting reports from German media, either that Hertha is not willing to pay a loan fee, or that the clubs agreed on another loan (without any fee or with just a small one), but that Allan's agent came up with some demands (presumably regarding playing time? just a guess though), that Hertha didn't agree to.
I watched all his appearances for Hertha and i'm not sure, if he will ever be able to replace Can. He's not ready to be a starter for Hertha at all right now, which is why Hertha would only be willing to take him as "another option" and not as an important player (hence the lack of willingness to pay a loan fee).

I don't believe much in that it's his agent making demands. Liverpool and Klopp is the ones making demands about where he goes, what's in the deal and why. Not Allan's agent. I reckon Liverpool would have wanted to have a deal in place with Hertha about guaranteed match time or a fee would occur. 

Offline SausageBE

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93610 on: July 16, 2017, 09:53:35 am »
I don't believe much in that it's his agent making demands. Liverpool and Klopp is the ones making demands about where he goes, what's in the deal and why. Not Allan's agent. I reckon Liverpool would have wanted to have a deal in place with Hertha about guaranteed match time or a fee would occur.
That makes sense, yeah. Either way he won't play for Hertha this season. I hope he can develop into a very good player somewhere. Unfortunately he didn't really make any progress throughout the last year.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93611 on: July 16, 2017, 11:19:59 am »
I guess it's between Kent and Ojo to see who sticks around and who goes out on loan. Kent's already done his loan season while Ojo stagnated.

Woodburn doesn't seem to be competing for the same spot now (wide in front 3).

Offline Redman78

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93612 on: July 16, 2017, 11:25:38 am »
Stewart, Flanagan, Solanke, Kent, Ward, Woodburn and ATA the ones going to Hong Kong.

Surprised Ojo isn't there, Injury maybe? Chirivella, I'd assume he boomed a bit late for Klopp.

Think Ojo will go out on loan this year.  Hopefully Kent can show what he's made of on tour.

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93613 on: July 16, 2017, 11:33:04 am »
Stewart, Flanagan, Solanke, Kent, Ward, Woodburn and ATA the ones going to Hong Kong.

Surprised Ojo isn't there, Injury maybe? Chirivella, I'd assume he boomed a bit late for Klopp.

No Wilson either

Fully expect Flannagan and Stewart to leave us.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93614 on: July 16, 2017, 11:45:01 am »
Wilson is still recovering from his injury.

Ojo is moving to Middlesborough according to the Echo on loan.

What about Brannagan?

Well make sense about Wilson as I want him and Kent around next season. Ojo who I do rate a lot would benefit from a loan move.

Brannagan another player who I rate needs another loan.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93615 on: July 16, 2017, 12:29:45 pm »
cam bran's agent whipping up hubris again.  can't see him every getting higher than our under-23s.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-cameron-brannagan-stoke-derby-hull-a7843546.html

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93616 on: July 16, 2017, 01:27:58 pm »
cam bran's agent whipping up hubris again.  can't see him every getting higher than our under-23s.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-cameron-brannagan-stoke-derby-hull-a7843546.html

If true then he will be sold with a buy back clause.

He might as well just sign a new contract and go out on loan. Clearly we rate him or wouldn't be offering a contract.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93617 on: July 16, 2017, 01:43:17 pm »

He might as well just sign a new contract and go out on loan. Clearly we rate him or wouldn't be offering a contract.

Buy back clauses are a bit pointless if the player doesn't want to play here, he could just refuse to agree a contract and move elsewhere.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #93618 on: July 16, 2017, 01:54:34 pm »
That makes sense, yeah. Either way he won't play for Hertha this season. I hope he can develop into a very good player somewhere. Unfortunately he didn't really make any progress throughout the last year.

The whole point of loaning him to Hertha was to get a work permit. If he wonīt play for them again next year, there is no point loaning him to be honest.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93619 on: July 16, 2017, 02:12:03 pm »
The whole point of loaning him to Hertha was to get a work permit. If he wonīt play for them again next year, there is no point loaning him to be honest.

And why can't he be loaned out to a other German club? Do you  believe they would be the only club in Germany interested in him?

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93620 on: July 16, 2017, 02:21:35 pm »
And why can't he be loaned out to a other German club? Do you  believe they would be the only club in Germany interested in him?

No, that wasnīt my point. My point was specifically about Hertha being unwilling to offer assurances he would play. If they wonīt, there is no point in loaning him to Hertha. We arenīt loaning players to Hertha to help them out and fill out their squad. Itīs to help a player get a work permit.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93621 on: July 16, 2017, 03:15:34 pm »
Their system of football?
Friendship with Klopp?
They are in Europe each season?

Could be either of the 3 reasons.

Or it could be:
They wouldn't promise us to play him / accept any costs associated with not playing him
Maybe their game style wasn't suited to him or to us
Maybe Allan had an issue with the club or the city
Or we the club had problems with them or people at their club

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93622 on: July 16, 2017, 03:22:47 pm »
Well make sense about Wilson as I want him and Kent around next season. Ojo who I do rate a lot would benefit from a loan move.

Brannagan another player who I rate needs another loan.

According to The Independent there's a dispute surrounding contract/loan.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq
« Reply #93623 on: July 16, 2017, 03:24:49 pm »

or we're seeking to preserve value and then sell him after the loan.

he's been nowhere near the first team squad for a year and not near the team for our first two friendlies.

Offline hassinator

• RAWK Funk Soul Brother
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oot and proud
    • good egg hq

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93625 on: July 16, 2017, 03:27:54 pm »
see above.
Bloody threads on RAWK move at a rate of knots. Or I'm getting slower and slower, the Poulsen of RAWK.

Offline SausageBE

• Kemlynite
« Reply #93626 on: July 16, 2017, 04:21:19 pm »
Or it could be:
They wouldn't promise us to play him / accept any costs associated with not playing him
Maybe their game style wasn't suited to him or to us
Maybe Allan had an issue with the club or the city
Or we the club had problems with them or people at their club
Allan grew into a role as a "nice-to-have" squad player, especially useful when other players got injured (bytheway, i didn't notice problems with Hertha's game style/tactics, apart from the mistakes many young players make), until he went to the U20 Copa America in January despite Dardai asking him to stay in Berlin and warning him that he would lose his place in the matchday squad.
He came back slightly injured and it seems Dardai lost faith in him, he barely even played during the second half of the season. Whenever he played, he looked good going forward, he played good passes, had a good range as well. He is very weak in defense, though, which would be an issue in the Premier League just like it was one in the Bundesliga. He had a habit of getting caught out of position (mentioned it: mistakes many young players make) as well and according to some rumours (only rumours though), he didn't take it well when he was criticized in training especially when it wasn't the coaches but one of the more experienced players.

Allan stated several times that he wanted to stay in Berlin, so apparently he didn't have an issue with the club or city.
I think the main problem really was, that Hertha only saw him as an additional squad option and that it doesn't make sense to loan him to them if he can't get a work permit.
Now i suspect, that the problem is, that no club, that plays in a strong league and in a european cup will make any promises about playing time neither to Klopp nor to the player. In my opinion, he's just not good enough yet to play an important role in such a club (now that i think about it, maybe Freiburg if they qualify?)
He is talented though, Klopp saw it, everyone can see it, that's why i hope he can become a good player, even though i'm afraid it might not be in England.  :(

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93627 on: July 16, 2017, 04:42:18 pm »

Why are Stewart and Flanagan even in this list theyre about 25 l

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93628 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:55 pm »
Why are Stewart and Flanagan even in this list theyre about 25 l
Reserve players aren't they?

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93629 on: July 16, 2017, 05:06:57 pm »
Stuff about Alan

Does your name stand for Sausage Berlin? :)

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93630 on: July 16, 2017, 05:11:00 pm »

It's very unlikely he will ever qualify for a work permit and he is nowhere near qualifying at the moment. I wouldn't get my hopes up about him ever playing for us.

Offline dakid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93631 on: July 16, 2017, 05:13:54 pm »
A few interesting names in here.

@youthhawk Liverpool first-year scholars 2017-18 #lfc #U18PL

Offline 10 years on

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93632 on: July 16, 2017, 05:31:34 pm »
Reserve players aren't they?
Suppose just usually associate this thread with youth players.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93633 on: July 16, 2017, 05:48:52 pm »
A few interesting names in here.

@youthhawk Liverpool first-year scholars 2017-18 #lfc #U18PL

Name the players we should look out for.

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93634 on: July 16, 2017, 05:59:51 pm »

Edvard Tagseth was signed with a lot of hype surrounding him. The next Odegaard I think he was being called. Other names that stand out from my very limited knowledge of this age group include; Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Luis Longstaff, and Curtis Jones. Longstaff would be my pick of the bunch without having seen Tagseth.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ģ25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93635 on: July 16, 2017, 06:07:40 pm »
So no Leighton Clarkson despite him getting England call ups. Think 15 is the max intake as well so might have been unlucky not to make it. Don't think there are any other known names to miss out

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93636 on: July 16, 2017, 06:45:16 pm »

Seen Curtis Jones play 3 times and he stood out every single time. He usually starts on the left wing and plays the role a bit like Luis Figo. In that he isnīt blessed with blistering pace but has excellent feet and technique.

Here is an every touch video of him:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8k2ujekxC8

Offline BabuYagu

• Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
« Reply #93637 on: July 16, 2017, 06:49:03 pm »

Also remember reading a lot of hype about Varesanovic before we signed him. Here is the article announcing his signing. He looks about 11 in one of the pics.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/05/30/liverpool-beat-barcelona-to-transfer-of-dal-varesanovic-6672909/

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93638 on: July 16, 2017, 06:52:22 pm »
Edvard Tagseth was signed with a lot of hype surrounding him. The next Odegaard I think he was being called. Other names that stand out from my very limited knowledge of this age group include; Elijah Dixon-Bonner, Luis Longstaff, and Curtis Jones. Longstaff would be my pick of the bunch without having seen Tagseth.

Yeah, those are the names that I'm vaguely aware of, but mostly from internet chatter as I probably have an even more limited knowledge of the youth squads than most. I think there was a Bosnian guy on this forum (or possibly another that I go on sometimes) that was talking about Varesanevic being very, very highly rated over there but I've never seen anything of him myself.

[Edit] Oh well, BabuYagu beat me to the punch with the Varesanevic shout.

Offline NsRed

• Kopite
« Reply #93639 on: July 16, 2017, 06:52:33 pm »
Seen Curtis Jones play 3 times and he stood out every single time. He usually starts on the left wing and plays the role a bit like Luis Figo. In that he isnīt blessed with blistering pace but has excellent feet and technique.

Here is an every touch video of him:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8k2ujekxC8
I've always been super impressed by Jones as well. He looks to me like a clear standout in this upcoming group, like Woodburn was. Obviously Woodburn is a different level- he's still young enough to be in the 18s. But I expect him to take a huge step forward under Stevie this year.
To further your point, I'd compare him to a Coutinho type. Plays off the left but isn't a classic pacy Ojo type winger. Much more technical and has a playmakers guile.