Author Topic: The iPhone  (Read 1041834 times)

Offline Poet

• He IS a poet! And he truly knows it! He's a new member; fresh fire from old ember. No idiot or fool, for he follows Liverpool. A CT gift from heaven! Well, actually, from 24/7...who's taller than 5' 11"!
  • Kopite
    • Sui-Juris
Re: The iPhone
« Reply #16520 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:46 pm »
Cheers Grae

Says I need a verification code to log into Icloud
The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16521 on: February 13, 2018, 01:22:07 pm »
Says I need a verification code to log into Icloud
It’s your iTunes password usually
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #16522 on: February 13, 2018, 01:35:16 pm »
Years of different iphone iterations and no scratches on my screen. A few months of the 8 and I have a few tiny ones and a filthy big one with bits chipped out.  :no

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #16523 on: February 13, 2018, 05:45:57 pm »
I’ve got a remarkable scratch on my X screen which looks like someone has been at it with a compass point. I never place it screen down, always take it out of my pocket to drive with and have never dropped it. Total mystery.

That sounds like mine. Haven't a clue how it happened.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16524 on: March 4, 2018, 08:18:10 pm »
Just had a generic text from EE telling me that I am 'eligable to upgrade your iphone x to a brand new iphone 8'

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16525 on: March 8, 2018, 11:59:59 pm »
Years of different iphone iterations and no scratches on my screen. A few months of the 8 and I have a few tiny ones and a filthy big one with bits chipped out.  :no

Same thing happened to my mrs, she's had loads of iphones and always looks after them, she's had an 8 all of a few months and her screen is covered in scratches. For comparison she has a 6 which is pristine.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16526 on: March 10, 2018, 10:07:15 am »

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #16527 on: March 15, 2018, 12:37:50 pm »
Missus dad got the Iphone X as his upgrade a week or so ago and they accidentally sent him 2 phones out. Getting the other phone sold to me for £400, just upgraded my own phone about 6 months ago from a 5s to a 7 so will look at selling this phone and see if I can get anything for it.

How much would an Iphone 7 128gb jet black go for? about £300-£350?

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16528 on: March 15, 2018, 02:13:10 pm »
Slightly closer to £400 if it’s in good condition. Have a look at the iPhone classifieds on AVForums website. Very active forum for selling mobiles and no fees involved.

Offline XabiGerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16529 on: March 15, 2018, 09:38:47 pm »
Anyone ever used fonehouse.co.uk ? ive seen a good deal on there for the iPhone X but I’m abit reluctant at using a third party site to get it. None of the main networks website deals come close to it though.

£169 upfront - £49 a month with 32gb data

Offline LiamG

• He's loving angels instead. Cos through it all they offer him protection.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Y.N.W.A
« Reply #16530 on: April 16, 2018, 02:38:57 am »
So i've bought the x, great phone!

But i need a case, way too scared of dropping it and cracking all the glass!! i need an ultra thin case but also one that is going to protect it if i do drop it, any recommendations?

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16531 on: April 16, 2018, 09:02:21 am »
I've got the apple silicon case on my X, doesn't add too much bulk and gives it plenty of grip in your hand.

Offline WhoHe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16532 on: May 16, 2018, 09:31:49 am »
Daughter has asked me to find an app that can download music for free to her iPhone so when she is walking she isn't using her mobile data - are there any ? Had a quick google but I don't have an iPhone and you need to use iTunes as far as I can see.

Offline "21C or 70F?" SchizoidWeatherMan!

• Me, I'm Touchy.....which is why I am so fond of a happy ending ;)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16533 on: May 16, 2018, 09:48:59 am »
No such apps I am afraid. 

The likes of pandora and spotify (paid version) allow you to 'download' files for offline usage, but its not free and you have to use the service providers app to play the music.

You cannot even download files to your computer and copy those files onto the iphone directly like you can do with Android.  Syncing already downloaded music on your PC via itunes or using really convoluted techniques like enabling camera mode are your only options to store music offline without paying.

Advantages of a closed ecosystem!  ;D
Phuk yoo

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16534 on: May 16, 2018, 09:51:54 am »
No such apps I am afraid. 

The likes of pandora and spotify (paid version) allow you to 'download' files for offline usage, but its not free and you have to use the service providers app to play the music.

You cannot even download files to your computer and copy those files onto the iphone directly like you can do with Android.  Syncing already downloaded music on your PC via itunes or using really convoluted techniques like enabling camera mode are your only options to store music offline without paying.

Advantages of a closed ecosystem!  ;D

It's really not hard to sync your phone via iTunes to put music on there, you're exaggerating a tad. I know it's maybe a little longer process (not much, matter of a minute or two maybe), so never really got why people bash it like it takes hours or is ridiculously hard or complex to do.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16535 on: May 16, 2018, 10:06:05 am »
Spotify Premium is currently 99p for new members, you'll pay 99p and get 3 months of Premium. You can pay the 99p then cancel and you'll still have Spotify Premium until the middle of August

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16536 on: May 16, 2018, 10:08:00 am »
Spotify Premium is currently 99p for new members, you'll pay 99p and get 3 months of Premium. You can pay the 99p then cancel and you'll still have Spotify Premium until the middle of August

Apple Music also do a 3 month free trial which I believe you can download music to your phone for offline listening during.

Do a £4.99/m student account after that, or as someone mentioned above also do a £14.99 family plan for 6 people.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16537 on: May 16, 2018, 10:38:24 am »
It's really not hard to sync your phone via iTunes to put music on there, you're exaggerating a tad. I know it's maybe a little longer process (not much, matter of a minute or two maybe), so never really got why people bash it like it takes hours or is ridiculously hard or complex to do.

Its complicated for newer users to understand the itunes method, especially if coming from an android or windows phone where you could simply copy paste whatever you want from wherever you want.   Plus there are issues with 'syncing' content from multiple libraries, with previous content overwritten. Lots of niggles if you do not know exactly what you are doing.

I dont see why it has to be so bloody hard to do simple stuff!  We have been copying and pasting files onto our external hardrives and memory sticks for years because it is simple and intuitive.

Phuk yoo

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16538 on: May 16, 2018, 10:42:53 am »
Its complicated for newer users to understand the itunes method, especially if coming from an android or windows phone where you could simply copy paste whatever you want from wherever you want.   Plus there are issues with 'syncing' content from multiple libraries, with previous content overwritten. Lots of niggles if you do not know exactly what you are doing.

I dont see why it has to be so bloody hard to do simple stuff!  We have been copying and pasting files onto our external hardrives and memory sticks for years because it is simple and intuitive.

You're making out you need some long winded training to do it - a simple watch of a how to video explains it all and once you've done it once or twice it's second nature. It's really not as hard as you're trying to make out that it is.

Offline El Denzel Pepito

• Tight-fisted and unimaginative moany wannabe feedback tourist. More Michael O'Leary than Dermot...but will also give out noshes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16539 on: May 28, 2018, 04:15:04 pm »
So I have a problem.

A couple of weeks ago, my iPhone 6S+ turned off and became unresponsive, wouldn't start up or enter DFU mode or anything of the sort. It had a history of turning off randomly and not turning on until plugged in, so I tried that, but nothing. Took it into a repair shop and he replaced the battery and put in a new screen, pointing to a cable near the camera for the reason as to why it was draining battery/not staying on.

Well, it's done it again today. Was working fine all day yesterday. Woke up this morning, it didn't turn on, so I assumed it'd just run out of battery overnight. Plugged it in, but can't see any logos saying it's charging, won't enter DFU mode on iTunes, nothing at all.

My best bet's getting it replaced again, isn't it? Fucking fed up with it. I've never ever considered Samsung, but I've had it with these random little things with Apple (my MacBook is great however). Spent the best part of £200 on getting things repaired with this phone, you'd think it would be in the best condition it could be.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16540 on: May 29, 2018, 08:47:22 am »
Sounds like a motherboard issue to me.

No response even while charging? That eliminates battery problems. A phone with a bad battery should still boot after plugging it in.

No point wasting more money on it. You can get a brand new 6S for 300 odd if you look around.
Phuk yoo

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #16541 on: May 29, 2018, 11:12:11 pm »
So I have a problem.

A couple of weeks ago, my iPhone 6S+ turned off and became unresponsive, wouldn't start up or enter DFU mode or anything of the sort. It had a history of turning off randomly and not turning on until plugged in, so I tried that, but nothing. Took it into a repair shop and he replaced the battery and put in a new screen, pointing to a cable near the camera for the reason as to why it was draining battery/not staying on.

Well, it's done it again today. Was working fine all day yesterday. Woke up this morning, it didn't turn on, so I assumed it'd just run out of battery overnight. Plugged it in, but can't see any logos saying it's charging, won't enter DFU mode on iTunes, nothing at all.

My best bet's getting it replaced again, isn't it? Fucking fed up with it. I've never ever considered Samsung, but I've had it with these random little things with Apple (my MacBook is great however). Spent the best part of £200 on getting things repaired with this phone, you'd think it would be in the best condition it could be.

This is the reason why I refuse to splash out on a high end phone,though to be honest if I were in your position then the Mrs would've accidentally stood on my phone wearing her high heels.

It is what house insurance is for  ;)
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16542 on: May 30, 2018, 02:39:59 pm »
The Spotify family subscription is a godsend. 4 accounts can be run off it, download all the songs you want and each accounts songs can be completely different. We wouldn't be without it now especially for only £15 a month (where 4 individual accounts would be £40).

I've got a Deezer Family account - six users can access it at the same time.

I signed up via a Turkish proxy so I am billed in Turkish Lira. 14.99 Turkish Lira works out at about £2.50 a month.

Every time the Turkish economy tanks my subscription becomes cheaper. Great stuff.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16543 on: May 30, 2018, 09:36:59 pm »
I have a iPhone X and on the Youtube app I used to be able to see 4k videos in 1440p quality. Recently though 4k videos only appear in 1080p. Is that some setting that needs to be reset?

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16544 on: June 2, 2018, 12:30:45 pm »
Probably a daft question but I'll ask anyway. I bought an iPhone 8 direct from Apple on a benefit scheme at work; didn't really need it at the time but my I know my son who's away at uni will be phoning at some point to say his old iPhone is broken. Is there an issue with leaving it boxed indefinitely with out charging/using; I know it's probably been in Apple's stores for a while?
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16545 on: July 3, 2018, 03:35:17 pm »
Missus dad got the Iphone X as his upgrade a week or so ago and they accidentally sent him 2 phones out. Getting the other phone sold to me for £400, just upgraded my own phone about 6 months ago from a 5s to a 7 so will look at selling this phone and see if I can get anything for it.

How much would an Iphone 7 128gb jet black go for? about £300-£350?

What did you get for your spare 7 mate?  Was it the Plus?

Was at the races on Saturday with my arl 5S supplied by work and realised just how substandard the camera was compared to some of my mates newer 7/8/X's.

Got home and blagged the missus to use her O2 upgrade and get a 7 Plus. Cost her £140 (which I paid) upfront and just a couple of quid more per month on the same tariff.  She's well happy with her existing IPhone SE so was cool about it.

It arrived yesterday and I absolutely love it already.  The whopping 5.5 inch screen is just a joy and the photos it takes look glorious. It's surprisingly easy to handle despite its size. I can only imagine what the X is like as I couldn't let her tariff jump from £40 to £60 as she would defo want the money off me each month when we sort the bills out :)

Still got the plazzy protective film in place and just ordered myself a Snakehive leather wallet as I'm terrified of scratching it.  I've got the Jet Black colour with the lovely glossy finish which I hear is a scratch magnet if your not careful.

Another thing which was cool was my missus is on O2 and I'm on EE so was surprised when my SIM worked fine first time without me having to get the device unlocked.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16546 on: July 12, 2018, 08:35:52 am »
The X is bloody lovely mate!

Does the 7 plus have the portraits etc on the camera?

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #16547 on: July 17, 2018, 07:08:42 pm »
Probably a daft question but I'll ask anyway. I bought an iPhone 8 direct from Apple on a benefit scheme at work; didn't really need it at the time but my I know my son who's away at uni will be phoning at some point to say his old iPhone is broken. Is there an issue with leaving it boxed indefinitely with out charging/using; I know it's probably been in Apple's stores for a while?

Phones these days ship with around 50% battery already on them because the modern lithium-ion batteries actually have a much longer life span if they're kept between 20% and 80% charge as opposed to letting them discharge completely. So to answer your question, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Source: Work with these bad boys day in day out.

Offline Mr Boat

• y McBoatface
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16548 on: July 18, 2018, 06:53:36 am »
Phones these days ship with around 50% battery already on them because the modern lithium-ion batteries actually have a much longer life span if they're kept between 20% and 80% charge as opposed to letting them discharge completely. So to answer your question, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks. The phone is now in use and working fine after a couple of months in the wardrobe.
How strange it is to be anything at all - NMH.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16549 on: July 18, 2018, 07:31:47 am »

I thought that was true about older lithium batteries but the more modern ones are less effected by 0-100 charges.

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16550 on: July 19, 2018, 09:51:05 am »
I just keep an eye on the cycle count cos I'm that dull.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16551 on: August 13, 2018, 10:40:21 am »
Probably a really dumb question, but is there any way to basically view my mobile screen on my TV? I've got the Sky Sports TV app for iphone for watching games, but its a ballache watching it on my phone. Is there some clever way to screen that on my telly? Or some not so clever, basic way?
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16552 on: August 13, 2018, 10:41:16 am »
Probably a really dumb question, but is there any way to basically view my mobile screen on my TV? I've got the Sky Sports TV app for iphone for watching games, but its a ballache watching it on my phone. Is there some clever way to screen that on my telly? Or some not so clever, basic way?

I'm fairly sure you can't mirror the Sky Sports app onto the TV.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #16553 on: August 13, 2018, 10:46:12 am »
The Sky app blocks you from doing it..
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #16554 on: August 13, 2018, 10:51:22 am »
Absolute gimps

Sky also.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16555 on: August 13, 2018, 11:18:31 am »
In regards to mobile phones, switching from a 5S to the 7+ is the best move I've ever made.

I absolutely fucking love it.  I could never go back to a small screen after this.  Watched the USPGA golf on it last night and it was ace.

The pictures it takes are gorgeous too.  My holiday snaps look ace.

Got it in a smart leather case that holds me bank cards, money and season ticket.  Didn't think i could ever get this excited about a phone, seriously.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #16556 on: August 13, 2018, 03:55:47 pm »
I completely agree on the screen size. I got an 8+ and the Mrs got an 8. Whenever I hold her one now it's feels overly small.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16557 on: August 13, 2018, 04:00:47 pm »
Glad I decided not to upgrade and held onto my 6 this year, it's been as good as the day I got it (on release day) and could probably carry on doing so for a while yet. Going to upgrade to an X (or the new version) when they are announced next month.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • blazed
« Reply #16558 on: August 14, 2018, 08:36:17 am »
Iphone 6 has only 1 GB RAM, you must be a light user or used to apps and browser tabs reloading all the time!
Phuk yoo

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #16559 on: August 14, 2018, 09:18:53 am »
Iphone 6 has only 1 GB RAM, you must be a light user or used to apps and browser tabs reloading all the time!

Def not a light user. It's used as both my personal and business phone and probably have it in my hand a good proportion of the day due to that.

Don't notice browser reloads ever and do quite a lot of browsing. The thing is full of apps too. Honestly it's pretty much as the day I got it performance wise.