Author Topic: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips  (Read 459905 times)

Offline Fiend

• Want's a Mod to 'give him one'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Got Weird Enough For Me
Re: Texas Hold 'Em Poker Tips
« Reply #320 on: July 14, 2006, 04:41:45 pm »
Better off learning from experience and try not to lose too much on the way :)

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #321 on: July 14, 2006, 05:09:14 pm »
I reckon M|chael and Fiend are actually terrible players, but they are just trying to build up image for the next RAWK WSOP  :wave
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Ferg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: July 14, 2006, 05:28:46 pm »
Funnily enough,I was thinking that ;D
Keep your poker spiel for round the table please! ;)
Who wouldn't want to kick someone called Ferguson?
Quote from: Rafa Benitez
A big heart has space for everyone.

Offline AdamL

• Queenie's testicles, as seen in the Echo
  • Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #323 on: July 14, 2006, 06:55:58 pm »
just a question, was just sitting here and humming away to myself an wondered, on average, how many hands do you play? one in ten? one in twenty?
Momo Is Boss

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #324 on: July 14, 2006, 07:00:41 pm »
There's some big callers on betfair. Stupid fish.

Just taken a pot down with 1010 pocket cards, hit a flop of K44. He checked, so i bet, he called, turn was nothing, then there was a flush draw, he'd keep checking and then calling. Easy money if you've got the cards.

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: July 14, 2006, 07:27:54 pm »
just a question, was just sitting here and humming away to myself an wondered, on average, how many hands do you play? one in ten? one in twenty?

i fold preflop around 65% of times, i do play a lot of hands trying to connect, thats where the money is.
Around 75% is the normal id say

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #326 on: July 14, 2006, 09:14:47 pm »
There is this right fucking arse doing my head in.

I have pair of aces, he has 3.
I have straight King high, he has straight ace high.

He is raising and betting every turn. Wanker.

Offline SM Online

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
    • LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #327 on: July 14, 2006, 10:01:25 pm »
Just got fucked up the arse playing on betfair with dave  :butt some nob heads on our tables we're raising big on every hand, I saw flop on one hand and had two pairs, he raised again so I went above him then he went all in so I called, didn't think he'd have anything... hit trips didn't he and I lost most of my stack. What was wrong with my play there or was I just unlucky?

Aw well I'm still up £10 for the day, M|chael and Fiend watch out.
 :P :(

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: July 14, 2006, 10:40:44 pm »
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<   ONE TIP >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>..

READ HARINGTON

I'm not the first on here to recommend that, so I won't claim I am.
I read and understood the first hundred pages this morning and just played a $1 + 20 single table tournament (sorry that's uk pounds, but the symbol does not work on my keyboard) and won. Now it's the 2nd or third time I've won at that level, but it felt like the game played like the book. I sat tighter than a nun's ringpiece until 3 or 4 people had been knocked out. Loosening up slightly when the table tightened. I played a classic defence against a super agressive opponent, admittedly I had to sit tight till the river, but I pulled it off.
As we got into the final 5 I swung my style the other way and stole blinds and a couple of other calls.  There was one point where I had a good but not great hand and was worried about giving up my tight image by playing another hand. I got lucky and everyone folded to me so there were no pot odds.  Getting down to 3 took a bit longer, but by carefully watching my pot odds and making it stupid for my opponents to stay in I stole / semi-bluffed some more pots. Then the action heated up as the short stacks had to go all in to avoid the blinds. So I ducked and let the others fight it out. Some other chap at the table who played so slowly and folded so much I feared he'd done a M!chael and was on the verge of being blinded out, popped up with a couple of cracking hands and we were down to 3.  I was very happy to be here (and feeling I deserved it) and anything from then was a bonus because I've not read that yet.  I applied the principles I'd picked up till then as best I could and was quickly down to the showdown with about 2/3 of the stack. It took a while to figure my opponent out but they made it easy.
If there's a lesser tip from Harrington's book, it's that the cards are only part of the game. Position , stack sizes, the blinds , the number of players, the playing style are all equally important.

right need to get back down to earth and read some more and make sure this wasn't a fluke!

Oh and although I had poker spy running to help me figure out some of the more complicated pot odds I didn't use the calculator that much. The game window was a help though with getting a tell on the playing style of others.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: July 14, 2006, 10:41:44 pm »
Just got fucked up the arse playing on betfair with dave  :butt some nob heads on our tables we're raising big on every hand, I saw flop on one hand and had two pairs, he raised again so I went above him then he went all in so I called, didn't think he'd have anything... hit trips didn't he and I lost most of my stack. What was wrong with my play there or was I just unlucky?

Aw well I'm still up £10 for the day, M|chael and Fiend watch out.
 :P :(

If you haven't the bank roll to take the long term profits from these people, change table :)

Offline Throxenby

• Has a date with Fat Frank sometime in 2007
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: July 14, 2006, 11:26:24 pm »
what site yer playing on ?
God bless the skywashed for they know not what they do.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #331 on: July 15, 2006, 12:35:13 am »
Just went on betfair, 350 seat tourney, knocked out in 75th. didnt get paid. i shrug an say i didn't get the cards. got to the latter stages (well, sorta) an my M was down to 6 or 7. landed on a AKo an went all in, ran into 99 which held up (coin toss situation which didnt go my way this time). no regrets, think i did alright.

lookin back, would i have been better to limp in an then play defensive after a flop which didn't hit me, folding if anyone showed any strength? thinkin back to how the hand unfolded i think that might have been a better option. but then again i dunno. in any case i'd have been pretty much pot committed once i was even in the pot (BB was $300, SB £150 and £25 antes, £700 starting pot, I had about $3,500) with a raise. an in an even more hopeless position after.
Momo Is Boss

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #332 on: July 15, 2006, 01:00:25 am »
reckon thats just the poker gods in play there. 99 against AK basically play themsens. that said other night on a live tourney i put down 99 before the flop, as i knew i was up against 3 callers with over cards. probably books will tell me i should of called (would of put me AI) but glad i didnt as would of gone out before the money stages.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #333 on: July 15, 2006, 01:14:23 am »
reckon thats just the poker gods in play there. 99 against AK basically play themsens. that said other night on a live tourney i put down 99 before the flop, as i knew i was up against 3 callers with over cards. probably books will tell me i should of called (would of put me AI) but glad i didnt as would of gone out before the money stages.

i dont think books would tell u to fold there at all. getting in the money stages is the first priority. an even with a big stack, even QQ against 3 other hands is a nightmare, mainly cos the best you can realistically hope for is a set, an the chances of over pairs, flushes and straights will rise.
Momo Is Boss

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #334 on: July 15, 2006, 01:27:47 am »
right heres somethin that fucks me off. playin a cash game on betfair. im in first position, an i get 66. ok i think, limp in, try an see a cheap flop, if i hit a 6 then the implied odds are massive. so i call, 25p. Feller next to me calls. Then some complete twat who joined the table 4 hands ago with a tenner and is down to £5 already raises to £1.50.

no odds anymore, so i bin my hand. Fair play i think, this blokes probably holding a high pair or two high over cards, not worth the risk. the bloke after me, who is yet to act to the nobs raise, puts him all in for his last fiver, an nob calls.

Bloke next to me turns over AJo, nob turns over K8o. FUCKING K8o!!!!!!

And then to top it off, he catches a K8 on the flop an his two pair hold up.

Now see the thing that really REALLY fucking gets to me isnt that this c*nt raised and then called an all in move with K8o in a cash game. It isn't even that the little shit had to catch cards to win, cos we all do that sometime.

What really REALLY fucks me off is this complete TWAT is now sitting there congratulating himself on what a wonderful call it was. Telling himself how he was so right to raise preflop like he did.

c*nt c*nt c*nt c*nt c*nt!
Momo Is Boss

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: July 15, 2006, 03:14:09 am »
but yer got info for 25p there. hes gonna win these hands every now and again and you want him to. cos whilst hes tugging his pud over his good play yer know its a disgusting bad play. whilst complaining people have had too much luck over me recently, we all know it goes in patches. yer also know thatwith plays like he made, he'll be topping up his account from his credit card more times than you.look at it as great info for 25p.
then bury the c*nt when yer got a hand.

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: July 15, 2006, 03:16:16 am »
i dont think books would tell u to fold there at all. getting in the money stages is the first priority. an even with a big stack, even QQ against 3 other hands is a nightmare, mainly cos the best you can realistically hope for is a set, an the chances of over pairs, flushes and straights will rise.
but before the flop i was getting 3/1 and facing three overcards i wasnt a 3/1 shot. worries me more facing the 5 cards though.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: July 15, 2006, 06:46:32 am »
what site yer playing on ?

I was on betfair mate. Doesn't seem to be too many idiots on there (unless because I haven't spotted them, that makes me the idiot!).

Also I reckon I play 1 in 15 hands 'normally' , sometimes it goes up when I'm blind stealing ot hitting them aggresively.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Loves burgers and men, ideally men on burgers…big fan of the Gormley statues. Turned down a starring role on The Bill.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: July 15, 2006, 10:20:26 am »
right heres somethin that fucks me off. playin a cash game on betfair. im in first position, an i get 66. ok i think, limp in, try an see a cheap flop, if i hit a 6 then the implied odds are massive. so i call, 25p. Feller next to me calls. Then some complete twat who joined the table 4 hands ago with a tenner and is down to £5 already raises to £1.50.

no odds anymore, so i bin my hand. Fair play i think, this blokes probably holding a high pair or two high over cards, not worth the risk. the bloke after me, who is yet to act to the nobs raise, puts him all in for his last fiver, an nob calls.

Bloke next to me turns over AJo, nob turns over K8o. FUCKING K8o!!!!!!

And then to top it off, he catches a K8 on the flop an his two pair hold up.

Now see the thing that really REALLY fucking gets to me isnt that this c*nt raised and then called an all in move with K8o in a cash game. It isn't even that the little shit had to catch cards to win, cos we all do that sometime.

What really REALLY fucks me off is this complete TWAT is now sitting there congratulating himself on what a wonderful call it was. Telling himself how he was so right to raise preflop like he did.

c*nt c*nt c*nt c*nt c*nt!

T'other day, i had a K8 of clubs, someone bet £5, and as you do, you fold that hand on a £5 bet on a 0.25/0.50 table, flop comes over with one club and a king. Which was a bit of a pain. Anyway, they keep betting and eventually end up creating a £54 pot, club on the turn, club on the river. One shows a straight one shows two pair.

That wasn't nice I tell you.

Offline SM Online

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
    • LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #339 on: July 15, 2006, 11:19:16 am »
hi guys just wondering how you lot go about playing JJ or QQ, because these sort of hands have fucked me over a few times.

Say you're in early position should you raise big and try and win the pot, but what if you get called and an Ace and a King comes out on the flop? Just cut your losses there and then. Or should you call from early position to try and see the flop hoping to hit trips or to still have top pair.

In late position I guess you see what your opponents have done if they have all called you should raise and try to take the pot, where as if the pot has already been raised (say twice the blind size) should you call and see the flop, or fold assuming they've got two upper cards.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:24:20 am by SM Online »

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #340 on: July 15, 2006, 11:44:49 am »
hi guys just wondering how you lot go about playing JJ or QQ, because these sort of hands have fucked me over a few times.

Say you're in early position should you raise big and try and win the pot, but what if you get called and an Ace and a King comes out on the flop? Just cut your losses there and then. Or should you call from early position to try and see the flop hoping to hit trips or to still have top pair.

In late position I guess you see what your opponents have done if they have all called you should raise and try to take the pot, where as if the pot has already been raised (say twice the blind size) should you call and see the flop, or fold assuming they've got two upper cards.

Generally QQ and JJ are considered to be on either side of a dividing line. Whilst QQ is usually thought of in the same was as KK and AA, JJ is thought of in the same way as 1010 and 99.

Whenever you hit a good high pair, your first priority is to slim the field. Whilst you might be a favorite to take the hand down against any one random hand, you'll find against two you'll usually be between 30% and 40%. I'd be reluctant to play even AA or KK if 3 or 4 hands had gone all in before me. The chances of the others hitting such relatively low hands as two pair are just too great.

From an early to mid position, a good strong raise should show most tables that you mean business, so perhaps 4 to 5 times the blind. In late position you can consider trying to draw another hand into the pot, but be wary.

Like you say the danger is if you face over cards. If you face two, you're something like 55% to take the hand, which is as good as tossing a coin. Thats probably the reason for the difference between playing QQ and JJ. If you have QQ, anything less than AA, KK or AK and you're a big favorite. Any other still useful hand - AQ, KQ, and you've got a huge chance, where your opponent is looking to hit one card of two.

However if you're holding JJ then so many more hands open up which can leave you facing two overcards. Now, any of AA, KK, QQ, AK, AQ, KQ can put you against two over cards. Be careful tere.

As for what to do if you're holding JJ and a king lands, if you're still against one hand i'd still bet strongly. two or more hands and I'd probably look to check and fold. remember that most flops miss most hands. one over card doesn't mean you're beat. However, if you make a good solid bet and it comes back as a call or a reraise then be ready to cut your losses and put the hand down.
Momo Is Boss

Offline SM Online

• Main Stander
  • YNWA
    • LIVERPOOL FC
« Reply #341 on: July 15, 2006, 12:47:02 pm »
wow cheers adaml wasn't expecting anyone to go that in depth  :) :thumbup

Offline Walshy nMe®

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Legend
« Reply #342 on: July 15, 2006, 04:38:38 pm »
I understand what K8 means, (king eight) but what is K8o.

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: July 15, 2006, 04:43:56 pm »
Off suit.

Just had pocket 9's on a cash table. Flop comes, I put a 50 cent bet down (£0.25/$0.50) table, with a board of 268. Someone goes all in. Having raised pre flop I decided there was very little chance that someone would have called the raise with a pair of 2's, 6's or 8's, and that he didn't have a high pocket pair unless they were playing it very strangely. So I called. He shows ace King and I pick up a $25 pot.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #344 on: July 15, 2006, 07:05:06 pm »
Next time any of us complain about a bad beat, lets just remind ourselves that it happens to the very best of us:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3K-OzP-0ek&search=wsop

;D
Momo Is Boss

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #345 on: July 15, 2006, 08:02:38 pm »
Next time any of us complain about a bad beat, lets just remind ourselves that it happens to the very best of us:

;D

:lmao

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: July 15, 2006, 08:22:36 pm »
Off suit.

Just had pocket 9's on a cash table. Flop comes, I put a 50 cent bet down (£0.25/$0.50) table, with a board of 268. Someone goes all in. Having raised pre flop I decided there was very little chance that someone would have called the raise with a pair of 2's, 6's or 8's, and that he didn't have a high pocket pair unless they were playing it very strangely. So I called. He shows ace King and I pick up a $25 pot.

Thats was a very small bet after that flop, unless you knew him as a loose player, i think this was a dodgy call, he called your preflop raise so he could easily have 10 10 JJ QQ, i think KK or AA he would gave reraised.
Your 99 was not beating many hands.

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: July 15, 2006, 08:26:04 pm »
What's the prize structure?
I'm guessing 15/10/5 ?

Not sure about 2nd n third, but I got £15 yes.

Offline bez

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill!!!!!!!
« Reply #348 on: July 15, 2006, 08:36:33 pm »

;D

lol, most amusing!!
Oh W**ky W**ky, W**ky W**ky W**ky W**ky Warrington.

Betfair referal code 6TXMVXF6J. £25 free

Offline Dam

• Legacy Fan
  • Rush scored 1, Rush scored 2,...
« Reply #349 on: July 15, 2006, 10:32:09 pm »

;D

That's brilliant. The bigger they come...

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: July 15, 2006, 11:13:59 pm »
Off suit.

how the hell do you get a $25 pot on a table like that?

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #351 on: July 15, 2006, 11:33:45 pm »
how the hell do you get a $25 pot on a table like that?
happens very regular. too many diks and they only have to "click" to call. no thought involved. won a $70 pot on the same level.

Offline AdamL

• Legacy Fan
  • Forever in our shadow
« Reply #352 on: July 15, 2006, 11:41:02 pm »
Thats was a very small bet after that flop, unless you knew him as a loose player, i think this was a dodgy call, he called your preflop raise so he could easily have 10 10 JJ QQ, i think KK or AA he would gave reraised.
Your 99 was not beating many hands.

I gotta agree with Niallo here, it was dangerous calling that all in. Obviously you won it so it was good in the end, and it does go to show what sort of idiots you get betting all in when they have 2 overcards at best. But if i was in your position id have thrown that hand away, putting my opponent on a high pair or trips.

But that someone went all in against you with that hand goes to show what complete twats you get playing hold em.

Currently dabbling with some FL games at the moment, as opposed to my usual NL games. Making some decent profit as well.

EDIT: Just a tip ive learned playing betfair. Go into options and change the colour of the backs of the cards from blue to red. Ive found once or twice today that i simply haven't spotted being up against 2 or 3 hands because the blue blends in a litle. can't miss with the red!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 11:43:38 pm by AdamL »
Momo Is Boss

Offline Hightown Phil

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: July 16, 2006, 01:02:01 am »
I gotta agree with Niallo here, it was dangerous calling that all in. Obviously you won it so it was good in the end, and it does go to show what sort of idiots you get betting all in when they have 2 overcards at best. But if i was in your position id have thrown that hand away, putting my opponent on a high pair or trips.

The trips didn't even occur to me to be honest, guessed he never had a high pair by the fact that there was no pre flop raise, which you'd logically do.

Offline Throxenby

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: July 16, 2006, 11:25:53 am »
i am a prick.very tight table, JJ
player 1 calls
player 6 raises AI
me raises.
player 1 reraises
i go AI (fukin thick prick i am, hes played 4 hands in 1 hour) i blow $40 and leave the game, maybe i shouldve stayed a just plugged away nicking their 3-4 dollar pots, but was scared would just chuck me fukin remaining balance away. if yer aint got the best of it before the flop, dont be stupid.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #355 on: July 16, 2006, 11:37:07 am »
I think this highlights the problem with ring games. Too much variance. You only need to be unlucky enough to be seated at a table with one idiot and you can get yourself fucked. With a tournament, you can go do the washing up or something else and let someone else knock the fool out.

Offline Reddave7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #356 on: July 16, 2006, 04:34:29 pm »
Not sure about 2nd n third, but I got £15 yes.

It'll be £15, £9, £6
RAWK Premier League Prediction Champion 08, 09
RAWK European Prediction Cup Champion 09/10

Offline Fairytale of 2005

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: July 17, 2006, 10:37:18 am »
Ok guys I have a question. I consider myself an average player still with lots to learn & would like to pick the brains of the better players on here.

I was just playing at a £0.25/£0.50 cash table & the following happened. Flop came down Q K 2. Turn was 7 & river 3. Three people out of the 6 stayed in betting till the end & one even raised & got called by the guy who won the hand. He won the hand with a 2 5.

I then said I can't believe people would call bets & raises with a 2 5 when there was a Q & K on the table. One person at the table agreed with me & the other 4 started slagging me off & saying I didn't know how to play. Who's right, me or the fishing brigade? I won £20 off one of them on one hand, which suggests I was playing it right, but I dunno. Is it good play to chance calling a raise with a pair of two's? Or was I just playing with a load of idiots?

One of them said he loves book players, 'cos they never make a profit & called me a loser. I walked away from the table £17 up after 20mins play. Should I stick with my sensible strategy, or do I need to call stupid hands? I realise that you can't just play the top hands, or you'd sit there all day, but playing a 2 5 & calling a raise with a pair of two's! Surely that's madness & he just got lucky...? Am I wrong? Or should I start playing with slightly higher quality opponents?

Offline niallo27

• I like iceburgers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: July 17, 2006, 10:47:29 am »
Ok guys I have a question. I consider myself an average player still with lots to learn & would like to pick the brains of the better players on here.

I was just playing at a £0.25/£0.50 cash table & the following happened. Flop came down Q K 2. Turn was 7 & river 3. Three people out of the 6 stayed in betting till the end & one even raised & got called by the guy who won the hand. He won the hand with a 2 5.

I then said I can't believe people would call bets & raises with a 2 5 when there was a Q & K on the table. One person at the table agreed with me & the other 4 started slagging me off & saying I didn't know how to play. Who's right, me or the fishing brigade? I won £20 off one of them on one hand, which suggests I was playing it right, but I dunno. Is it good play to chance calling a raise with a pair of two's? Or was I just playing with a load of idiots?

One of them said he loves book players, 'cos they never make a profit & called me a loser. I walked away from the table £17 up after 20mins play. Should I stick with my sensible strategy, or do I need to call stupid hands? I realise that you can't just play the top hands, or you'd sit there all day, but playing a 2 5 & calling a raise with a pair of two's! Surely that's madness & he just got lucky...? Am I wrong? Or should I start playing with slightly higher quality opponents?

That bloke is a fool, if he though he was ahead, he would have put in a big reraise. i play 25/50 game and dont come across many people like that, had he a flush draw or something as well, i do agree with him about book players, they are quite easy to beat so remember to mix up your play

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: July 17, 2006, 11:08:37 am »

That bloke is a fool, if he though he was ahead, he would have put in a big reraise. i play 25/50 game and dont come across many people like that, had he a flush draw or something as well, i do agree with him about book players, they are quite easy to beat so remember to mix up your play

I think there are a few types of book players. Those that haven't read any books. Those that have read the book and follow it to the letter and those that think about what the book is telling them.
If you've read the book and play it by the book, then yes you should win IN THE LONG RUN, I'm guessing you need to play in the high hundreds of hands to start making the long run and you will lose several big pots on the way while seeing your stash grow only very slowly.

If you think about what the books are saying and remember they are not all soley geared to the type of game you are playing, you should be able to work out the how to adapt the advice to suit the game.  I'm learning quite fast that the cards you have and the cards you play are only part of the picture. If you are sitting at a table where someone is playing that recklessly, then you have to consider what other people are doing. If others are prepared to take him on, let the decent hands around the table play their cards and he'll lose his money quite quickly. If others are running scared of him, then do the same, he'll have only small pots to play for. If it's really going to piss you off, find another table. Varying your play and playing marginal hands now and then just to mess with other people's heads makes sense, but playing crap like that is just silly.

NOTE - if you want to see how silly it is, just look at my performance in last night's RAWK WSOP.

-- EDIT -- you also need to see what happened before the hand. Did he have good reason to believe nobody had Kx, or Qx? Admittedly hard to tell, because it's unlikely anyone would raise with that. I suppose it depends how the table was playing if people would call with that.  How many players were in the pot? If he had late position , a bit of action before the flop and action that suggested there was only Ace high out there, he may well have had pot odds to go for it.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 11:20:58 am by PaulF »