Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
I think the point here is that regardless what people think of our current squad or the capacity of individual players to deliver within the current set-up, it's clear that the positions management had identified as critical (to the point where they were willing to break all kind of club records to get their first targets) were CM and CB.

Even the most optimistic of posters will accept that the likelihood of Keita arriving this season is probably gone. VVD may still arrive, but that is also pretty unlikely (though less unlikely than Keita). Hanging on hereafter would be an exercise in futility imo. It's time to switch targets for this season and get the necessary players for the positions mentioned.

Trying to get through another season without recruiting in the hope that the exact same players will be ready to willing and able to come to Liverpool is a bad idea. Firstly we have no idea how events will change over the coming year. Secondly it will mean that other teams will advance this year while Liverpool remain static, only to advance again next year when Liverpool also make their much desired transfers.

With that in mind (and considering the new season starts in a fortnight and there are only a handful of friendlies left) is it really that good an idea to hang on until the deadline in the hope that something miraculously changes ? Surely Liverpool need to change gears now and start identifying players that, while perhaps not quite as good as the ones they wanted, will improve both the first team and the squad? The latter being particularly important with the added games (CL or EL) for the season ahead.

If I was to draw a comparison, what Liverpool are doing is akin to walking into a niteclub and being struck by the beauty of a pair of women sitting with their boyfriends. Liverpool are now determinedly dancing in front of their table and ignoring the scores of lovely women walking by, all in the hope one or both of these women will be impressed by their fly moves and dump their boyfriends to go home with them. It's a brave move, but the most likely result is a lonely taxi ride home and a night of feverish passion with Palm and her five sisters.   

The problem here is that you are making your opinion based on the information you have about the situation, which is perhaps 1% at best. Whereas the people who are making the decision whether or not to continue to pursue Keita do so with literally all the information about the situation.

Therefore you have to ask yourself if you are coming to the conclusion they are doing it wrong, do they have information and I cannot which would change my opinion, or are they really fucking stupid?
When Alan Shearer broke the English transfer record, the price of a Twix was 25p.
was shown up when they played Villa that year and Yorkie got a hat-trick
I think the point here is that regardless what people think of our current squad or the capacity of individual players to deliver within the current set-up, it's clear that the positions management had identified as critical (to the point where they were willing to break all kind of club records to get their first targets) were CM and CB.

Even the most optimistic of posters will accept that the likelihood of Keita arriving this season is probably gone. VVD may still arrive, but that is also pretty unlikely (though less unlikely than Keita). Hanging on hereafter would be an exercise in futility imo. It's time to switch targets for this season and get the necessary players for the positions mentioned.

Trying to get through another season without recruiting in the hope that the exact same players will be ready to willing and able to come to Liverpool is a bad idea. Firstly we have no idea how events will change over the coming year. Secondly it will mean that other teams will advance this year while Liverpool remain static, only to advance again next year when Liverpool also make their much desired transfers.

With that in mind (and considering the new season starts in a fortnight and there are only a handful of friendlies left) is it really that good an idea to hang on until the deadline in the hope that something miraculously changes ? Surely Liverpool need to change gears now and start identifying players that, while perhaps not quite as good as the ones they wanted, will improve both the first team and the squad? The latter being particularly important with the added games (CL or EL) for the season ahead.

If I was to draw a comparison, what Liverpool are doing is akin to walking into a niteclub and being struck by the beauty of a pair of women sitting with their boyfriends. Liverpool are now determinedly dancing in front of their table and ignoring the scores of lovely women walking by, all in the hope one or both of these women will be impressed by their fly moves and dump their boyfriends to go home with them. It's a brave move, but the most likely result is a lonely taxi ride home and a night of feverish passion with Palm and her five sisters.     
Couple cup runs and top 4 would be a success in my opinion.  I would love a cup though, it's been too long.  People need to live in reality more,  every year is a challenge in the premier league no matter how well you did the previous season.  This isn't Spain, Germany or France every year is extremely difficult to do well in.
:o

I can't say I agree with that statement at all - we must have been watching different players last season! Wow.

What would be his weaknesses then? Specifically

People tend to notice the players who excel at things more than ones that just do every single job at a very high level. WeŽd prefer players that excel at one or two tasks but that have glaring weaknesses than ones who excel at nothing but can do everything very well.
You would say that, he took your hero Biscans place in midfield after all.
;D
Liverpool FC Forum / Re: Liverpool FC complete signing of Mohamed Salah
« Last post by Phil M on Today at 03:51:43 PM »
Did Salah show signs of Klopp drilling in terms of pressing or counter pressing in his cameos so far off the ball?
General Football and Sport / Re: 2017/18 Football Predictions
« Last post by Ronnie Pickering on Today at 03:50:53 PM »
Premier League

Champions - Man City

Champoins League places - Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal

Europa League - Spurs, United

Relegation - Brighton, Huddersfield, Watford

FA Cup - Everton (HAHAHAHA, only joking. Chelsea)

League Cup - Newcastle

Player of the year - Mane

Young player - Jesus

Top scorer - Morata

Manger of the Year - Guardiola

Best signing - Salah

Worst signing - Sandro

Europe

Champions League - Munich

Europa League - Arsenal

La Liga - Real Madrid

Bundesliga - Munich

Serie A - AC Milan

Ligue 1 - PSG

Don't even get me started on Kit Kat Chunkys.

Rooneys gone to Everton mate
General Football and Sport / Re: General Manchester City thread
« Last post by puroresu_kid on Today at 03:49:01 PM »
He makes them better as ballplayers - passing quality, passing decisions, interchanges. Ok sure. Beyond that, we are in no position to know whether his players have improved in the defensive phase (full pitch pressing aside) simply because the quality he's had at his disposal his entire career means he can take risks with player positions most other managers can't to win. His defensive stats are a product of this confluence of factors, certainly not defensive phase work in the traditional sense where the best organised ones know the opponents can have the ball for three hours and do sweet all.

I love innovators, creators. I love that aspect of Pep. Yet as a 'pure' coach, he has more to prove than Brendan Rodgers.

But that's just a consequence of his success.  Success at Barcelona led to Bayern. Bayern led to City, City will lead to another big job if he carries on.

His not going to take over Stoke City and nor should he have too when you have job offers from the wealthiest and biggest clubs in Europe.  When Managers are successful they tend to go from one big job to another. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10