Author Topic: 2001: What A Memorable Year It Has Been  (Read 1364 times)

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
2001: What A Memorable Year It Has Been
« on: January 1, 2002, 12:05:11 am »
As the year draws to a close we, as Liverpool supporters, can look back and remember, with pride, a year that has truly been ours in every way. 2001 will be remembered as a year of triumphs, namely our doubles over the Blueshite and the Mancs, Owens two goals in the last seven minutes of the FA Cup final that clenched our second trophy, the UEFA Cup final; possibly the most dramatic final ever seen in the history of the competition, the Worthington (League) Cup final against Birmingham City, (and its nail biting penalty finale), that kick-started out treble campaign, the Charity Shield against Manchester United, (actually Cardiff in general..), the Super Cup against the "Champions of Europe" Bayern Munich... I could go on and on, at incredible length, about the good times that 2001 saw, but it hasnt all been quite so glamorous.

Take for instance our "shock" defeat at home to Grimsby in the Worthington (League) Cup, our 3-1 and 2-1 defeats at home to Aston Villa and away to Bolton, Houllier in hospital for an emergency heart Op., 3-1 at home to Barca in the Champions League, Owen and his hamstrings, (did Santa bring him a new pair?), Gerrard getting sent off, a 2-1 defeat to Arsenal at home.

Robbie Fowler going to Leeds...

Every team gets a share of good and bad fortune, but we manage the extremes of each more than most. Our wins and successes have, as usual, been played down, described as "pure luck" and dismissed as one-offs. Our defeats, our problems and our transfers, no matter how inane or small, have always been catapulted into the limelight by the press and the media, and those others that wish to see us put down. Is it through fear that they do this? Do they strike us down with headlines full of false wit and dry humour in an attempt to cloud over what could potentially be, another brilliant year for Liverpool FC?

Liverpool players will also be remembered for their part in national glory, such as England's 5-1 mauling of Germany in Munich, when Heskey, Gerrard and of course, Owen, secured the nations historic victory. (And who will ever forget the irony of Michael's triumphant third goal coming in the 66th minute, burying that year forever?) Another two goals from Liverpool players, making seven in two games, saw that England were in prime position to go into the finals in Japan and Korea by right, instead of through the play-offs. All we needed was a draw, and for Germany to be held to the same. And we all know how that drama ended with the "Nations Saviour," Mister Beckham, scoring that last minute wonder-goal through a free-kick, propelling us into the Finals with the wind beneath our wings, on top of the world. That goal made a nation scream with more ecstasy than Jilly Whats-Her-Name does, (off the "Food and Drink" programme); every time she smells a glass of wine. (You know the one... has half an orgasm every time she takes a sip.) But it also made the Germans despair, the German national press flogged themselves with self pity, desperately trying to find some ray of light in the black hole we had pushed them into. (And a personal moment of glee for every Liverpool Red, who can forget the magic footwork that Stevie conjured up against Didi Hamman? That was cruel... but fucking funny all the same!)

As the players look back they can be damn proud of what they have achieved. Five trophies in as many months is an astounding feat for any team, but to do so in what literally seems like only a season or two is nothing short of a miracle. And what, or rather who, turned Liverpool from sleeping giants to giant killers in the space of a few years? Our very own little French miracle. It goes by the name of Gerard "The Man From France That Makes Us Dance" Houllier. Our little French Gnome. (Well he does look sort of Gnomish when he grins...) He came and was our saviour, the man who restored what he had seen many years before as he stood on the Spion Kop. He restored the Shankly way of thinking. Brought back the philosophies that existed then, but got buried with the demolition of the Boot Room. He was, and is, a genius of the game. The game is his life, and at one point this year his fanaticism nearly ended his life when, during a match against Leeds, he complained of chest pains and was rushed to hospital. That "bit of a twinge" turned out to be a potentially fatal heart condition that was possibly caused by stress and over exertion. The marathon emergency surgery that followed saved his life and since then he's been recovering well. Someone was shining down on our Gerard, as things could have been so much worse.

Tributes to him poured in from all sides, including from his dear friend Mr David O'Leary. Whilst the taunts and jeers from close-minded opposition fans left Liverpool supporters angry and provoked, the teams that those so-called supporters represent paid tribute to a much loved man. And it is at times of upset and sorrow, such as when the manager is forced into rest like Houllier was and still is that the true Liverpool spirit shows. This time it came in the form of a moving tribute to Gerard, a spectacular crowd mosaic on the Kop at a home match, with 42000 Liverpool supporters singing and chanting his name, the name of their saviour.

Other members of Liverpool have been honoured in differing ways this past year. Recently Michael Owen deservedly laid his hands upon the exclusive prize of European Footballer of the Year, and our very own "Granddad Mac" is to be honoured by Her Majesty with an MBE for services to sports. (He's not finished yet Ma'am!) Phil Thompson was given Manager of the Month and Danny Murphy, Player of the Month, for their parts in November's successes, and it isnt just the team and staff that get honoured. Oh no. We, the Liverpool supporters, along with the Alaves supporters were announced the Fans of the Year for their impeccable behaviour at the UEFA Cup final earlier this year. An honour indeed as it proves that we are some of the best fans around, not only for our voices but for our sportsmanship too. Ask yourself where else you would find opposition supporters buying bevvies for eachother? I know that it happens at Anfield as I have bought and been bought for. (True he was a rather nice looking lad...)

Once we are done looking back over what has been a glorious and spectacular year we can start looking forward and into 2002. (But only once the hangovers have subsided and the double vision has become single again... sometime next week.) At present we're fourth in the Premier League, two points behind leaders Arsenal and a game in hand. I have no intention of stating odds and statistics because to be honest, I dont care. Nor am I going to make predictions or speculate upon what has been and what may or may not be. I just think that because only a couple of weeks ago the critics were writing Manchester United off and saying that they were a lost cause, we should ignore what is being said about us right now. Afterall, United are firmly back in contention, and the same "pundits" that said we were going to win the League a month ago are now saying that it'll be Arsenal. As the saying goes, "form is temporary, class is permanent." And something we have bags and bags of is class. I can see the Premiership being a close-run thing though, although I'm the first to admit I'm useless with predictions. (Having said that the only one I ever got right won me sixty-five quid, not that I was betting at this age of course...) However if our lads want it bad enough, as bad as they did earlier in the year, then what they want is theirs for the taking. The same goes for the Champions League. We may be bottom of our mini-league right now, but if they want it, and I'm sure that they do, then they'll get it. They sure as fuck deserve it.

And so here is to possibly my last post of the year and to 2001 and a whole. Its been a fucking brilliant year in many respects for Liverpool FC and its fans, but its also been a downright dreadful one too. The Kop lost its God in Fowler when he went to Leeds, (spit), but gained a new God, the boy we know as Mickey Owen. We've also gotten shot of the goalkeeper that kept us on the edge of our seats during every final, Westerveld. He helped us a lot but Jerzy and Chrissy came along and he was demoted somewhat. I wish him well, I really do. (I dont wish Fowler well though, I mean I do, but I dont. I still havent quite got "closure" on that one.) Our latest arrivals come in the form of Milan Baros and Nicholas Anelka. In the year 2002 I hope that they go on to do great things for Liverpool. Unfortunately all I can do for now is hope... I mean, do you see my name as Mystic Meg? No, so I dont make predictions. (Not often anyway. However I do predict that I'm going to have one hell of a hangover tomorrow, not that I'm drinking at fifteen of course. Anyway...)

*Raises a glass*

To Liverpool FC, its fanbase, its future and all those on RAWK, I wish you all a very happy New Year, and a prosperous 2002. (But dont ask me what that means, I read it on the inside of a greetings card.)

Right then lads and lasses... who's for getting well and truly bevvied?

Kerry
a.k.a s@h

Offline Kez

• hallowed
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: 2001: What A Memorable Year It Has Been
« Reply #1 on: January 1, 2002, 01:14:24 am »
New Year's note to self: Write less
« Last Edit: January 1, 1970, 01:00:00 am by 1017961200 »

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
« Reply #2 on: January 1, 2002, 01:20:58 am »
Well Said  :)
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

Pheeny

« Reply #3 on: January 1, 2002, 11:58:12 am »
Nice one Kez have a Good new year and good luck with your exams ;)

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #4 on: January 1, 2002, 12:08:51 pm »
A barbie, lots of beer, fun, sun surf,family and mates. Oh, and a thread from s@h, what better way to bring in the new year ;)

Offline *Gareth*

• The other Gareth
  • Anny Roader
  • Justice
    • Hillsborough Justice Campaign
« Reply #5 on: January 1, 2002, 07:01:20 pm »
A Barbie Camper Van Or Delux Hair Salon??  ;)
Bill Shankly on Tommy Smith

"If he isn't named Footballer of the Year, football should be stopped and the men who picked any other player should be sent to the Kremlin"

Offline Steve C

• Gone... but not forgotten - I hope some day you will join us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 1, 2002, 07:09:42 pm »
Best wishes to Monsieur Houllier in the New Year.

Pheeny

« Reply #7 on: January 2, 2002, 12:34:07 am »
Best wishes to Monsieur Houllier in the New Year.
and come back soon we need you!

Offline ZC_09

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8 on: January 2, 2002, 04:19:44 am »

and come back soon we need you!

I'll echo that.

"when you aim for the moon, maybe you land amongst the stars"

The man's true class.

Offline Paul

• Pensioner Abuser
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 2, 2002, 04:33:19 am »
What's the odds le boss will be back for the ManUre game?

They are saying early February, but I think they will find it hard to keep him away from that one!

We do need GH back, but only when he is ready. His well being is of a lot more importance.

Offline Mr.Red

• meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh meh......meh
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2009, 11:47:25 am »
By far the best year after mid '80s.

Great memories.