Author Topic: CL SF: Liverpool 4 vs Barçelona 0 (4-3) Origi 6', 79’, Gini 53', 56 Bloody hell.  (Read 266962 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I think part of the psychological ruination was to do with the physical ruination. They were dead on their legs after playing us. Which, I guess, is basics again. Being at a physical peak so you have the energy to remain focussed.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
Trent’s corner doesn’t happen in Sunday league football it’s almost SO shit defending as it is brilliant because you don’t expect it at this level.

Liverpool’s video analysts had identified that Barcelona often took too long to organise themselves when defending set-pieces.
http://www.zonalmarking.net/2019/05/26/liverpool-4-0-barcelona-sloppy-set-piece-defending-and-full-back-positioning/

According to the Independent report, Liverpool’s analysts noticed that Barcelona tend to moan or become distracted when a set-piece is given against them and this information was filtered through to Jurgen Klopp and his players.

The report goes on to state that Carl Lancaster, a coaching mentor at the club’s academy, had given the ball-boys at Anfield specific instructions to return balls to the Liverpool players quickly to try and catch Barcelona off-guard.
--
--
https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/08/liverpool-ball-boys-told-give-ball-back-quickly-analysts-spotted-barcelona-weakness-9451215/
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:06:26 am by ChaChaMooMoo »

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Remember Klopp saying at the start of the season we need to be like Rocky? Turns out it applied more to the Champions League than the league

Get clobbered at the start (in this case the first leg), have all the odds stacked against you, and you come back and win anyway. Classic Rocky.

Yo Jurgen........we did it!

Offline Morgana

• Legacy Fan
  • Sanity is overrated.
Am not surprised we’re still talking about this 12 weeks later. The final almost had to be crap—apart from the 2 goals and the trophy bit. Nothing could top the drama of both semis. I’m still watching the highlights of our game and still shite-ing my pants that Barça will get an away goal. How on earth did we do this?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 03:24:16 pm by Morgana »

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Remember Klopp saying at the start of the season we need to be like Rocky? Turns out it applied more to the Champions League than the league

Get clobbered at the start (in this case the first leg), have all the odds stacked against you, and you come back and win anyway. Classic Rocky.

This is why this tie needs to be watched as a whole. It's a complete story that was told over two legs and really needs to be watched as a whole in order to appreciate the full epic glory of it all.

I they had written this script for Roy of the Rovers it would have been thrown out as too unrealistic. It really did have absolutely everything. It's the complete football journey, and it unfolded on two of the worlds biggest stages and included a stellar cast. The entire tie should be out on DVD. Over 3 hours of the most amazing stuff you will ever witness on a football field. Ever.

Everyone who saw this tie in its entirety witnessed greatness. They really did.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 04:42:02 pm by Sons of pioneerS »
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan

Agree there.

It doesn't do justice to that corner to say that it was schoolboy stuff from Barcelona. It was Liverpool's staff noticing Barcelona's time-wasting tactics at throw-ins, corners and free-kicks, then instructing our team and ball staff accordingly that created that goal. It was no fluke. We basically sussed their game, then beat them by countering it very intelligently indeed.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
This is why this tie needs to be watched as a whole. It's a complete story that was told over two legs and really needs to be watched as a whole in order to appreciate the full epic glory of it all.

I they had written this script for Roy of the Rovers it would have been thrown out as too unrealistic. It really did have absolutely everything. It's the complete football journey, and it unfolded on two of the worlds biggest stages and included a stellar cast. The entire tie should be out on DVD. Over 3 hours of the most amazing stuff you will ever witness on a football field. Ever.

Everyone who saw this tie in its entirety witnessed greatness. They really did.

Not sure about that. I have an issue of ROTR where he has to be late to a game because his kid was kidnapped, and he comes on in the middle of the second half and scores 6 goals.

Never underestimate the schlockness of a Roy of the Rovers story ;D ;D ;D
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Not sure about that. I have an issue of ROTR where he has to be late to a game because his kid was kidnapped, and he comes on in the middle of the second half and scores 6 goals.

Ah, but in my scenario, Roy is Messi and we just trashed his Rovers.  ;)  8)

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise

Trents story beats that I reckon. Bet Roy was in his 40s by then , our TAA is just getting started.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Roy Batty has just watched the Barcelona tie on catch-up.

Offline emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I they had written this script for Roy of the Rovers it would have been thrown out as too unrealistic.

I think it would have been thrown out because Roy was out injured with concussion and the team still did it without him.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Agree there.

It doesn't do justice to that corner to say that it was schoolboy stuff from Barcelona. It was Liverpool's staff noticing Barcelona's time-wasting tactics at throw-ins, corners and free-kicks, then instructing our team and ball staff accordingly that created that goal. It was no fluke. We basically sussed their game, then beat them by countering it very intelligently indeed.

I suspect even in a training routine let alone within the white hot circumstances of that night's unique circumstances, the chances are very slim of the ball boy, Trent and Divock ever recreating the perfection of what they somehow managed individually and collectively to enact in those precious few sensational moments of play.

As it was, everything had to go absolutely perfectly to create what we saw.

I'm not sure why some seem compelled to lay quite so much emphasis on the lethargy of the Barca players. Sure their inability to 'switch on' was an essential component in what took place. It couldn't have happened like it did had they all been tuned in to the cuteness of the ball boy, Trent and Divock. But they weren't. Much in the same way as the rest of us who were there, they were "readying" themselves - if that's the appropriate term considering their collective lethargy - for a Virgil and Matip aerial assault.

The surprise element and the manner of their unreadiness in dealing with what did ensue simply became just one more essential ingredient of the incredible sequence that effectively won us our sixth Euro Cup. Albeit in hindsight an abject failure on their part, in terms purely of the factors which played a part, it was just like the backroom staff's thoroughness, the ball boy's alertness, Trent's unfeasible presence of mind and hugely skilled accomplishment and Divock's corresponding presence of mind and hugely skilled accomplishment.

What a fucking sequence of play it was. Unique in football. And thank fuck for that - as the warm glow continues to sustain us all.

:) 
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 12:17:54 pm by Timbo's Goals »

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
Barca had better chances in the 2nd leg than they had in the 1st one, no? Despite scoring 3 goals.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Barca had better chances in the 2nd leg than they had in the 1st one, no? Despite scoring 3 goals.

Those missed chances - and Alisson's huge part in ensuring most of the misses didn't become hits - is just as much a part of the incredible night as Barca' players switching off.

Sometimes, things do just flop right. Thank fuck.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan

Bit like how we missed the chances we had in the first leg.

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool
Bit like how we missed the chances we had in the first leg.

Exactly. And at the end things just flopped for us.

;D

Offline Timbo's Goals

• Petrified of THE BEAST
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
    • Timbos Liverpool

Trents story beats that I reckon. Bet Roy was in his 40s by then , our TAA is just getting started.

Also Roy had Blackie Gray and Tubby Morton to put up with. Trent has Sadio and Alisson.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

maybe - I think however that Alisson was so well positioned that he made the saves look routine.....

- Messi curler into the corner...saved
- Coutinho low shot - easily palmed away
- Messi shot past the post - Alisson was there
- Alba shot - Alisson rushed out to close the angle (this was a really big chance)
- Suarez shot in the second - weak shot - easily palmed away
- Messi shot from tight angle - good save - made the near post impossible - and it would have had to be a missile to beat him at the far past.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
maybe - I think however that Alisson was so well positioned that he made the saves look routine.....

- Messi curler into the corner...saved
- Coutinho low shot - easily palmed away
- Messi shot past the post - Alisson was there
- Alba shot - Alisson rushed out to close the angle (this was a really big chance)
- Suarez shot in the second - weak shot - easily palmed away
- Messi shot from tight angle - good save - made the near post impossible - and it would have had to be a missile to beat him at the far past.

xg is xg  - they had great chances that on average result in at least one goal ... we got lucky in the second leg but you have to to over turn 3-0  ... and they got lucky in the first leg so
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 03:32:07 pm by JackWard33 »

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Meh... xg is xg  - they had great chances that on average result in at least one goal ... we got lucky in the second leg but you have to to over turn 3-0  ... and they got lucky in the first leg so

True we could have scored in the first leg as they could have scored in the second, but one piece of Trent magic turned the game our way just as football should be.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
I suspect even in a training routine let alone within the white hot circumstances of that night's unique circumstances, the chances are very slim of the ball boy, Trent and Divock ever recreating the perfection of what they somehow managed individually and collectively to enact in those precious few sensational moments of play.

As it was, everything had to go absolutely perfectly to create what we saw.

I'm not sure why some seem compelled to lay quite so much emphasis on the lethargy of the Barca players. Sure their inability to 'switch on' was an essential component in what took place. It couldn't have happened like it did had they all been tuned in to the cuteness of the ball boy, Trent and Divock. But they weren't. Much in the same way as the rest of us who were there, they were "readying" themselves - if that's the appropriate term considering their collective lethargy - for a Virgil and Matip aerial assault.

The surprise element and the manner of their unreadiness in dealing with what did ensue simply became just one more essential ingredient of the incredible sequence that effectively won us our sixth Euro Cup. Albeit in hindsight an abject failure on their part, in terms purely of the factors which played a part, it was just like the backroom staff's thoroughness, the ball boy's alertness, Trent's unfeasible presence of mind and hugely skilled accomplishment and Divock's corresponding presence of mind and hugely skilled accomplishment.

What a fucking sequence of play it was. Unique in football. And thank fuck for that - as the warm glow continues to sustain us all.

Definitely. It was a perfect moment where all the necessary stars aligned just at the right time. A complete one-off.

A ridiculous, beautiful moment which looked rather simple, but needed a series of crucial components in order to happen.

It's a couple of months on now, but I still maintain, and probably always will, that we witnessed something utterly magical that night.

I've not even watched the final back again, but I can't stop watching videos of this game and the reactions to it. No disrespect meant towards Spurs but, for me, this is where we won the trophy. After that, nothing and no one was going to prevent us from lifting it in Madrid. There are defining moments that propel a team onto a different level, and I think this tie with Barcelona did that for our lads.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
Agree there.

Only thing I'll say about that is "why didn't we try that corner earlier?", if it was planned? I don't think it was as planned as people are trying to make out. I think it was an option, but Trent saw the opening and "called an audible", in NFL parlance. We had 6 corners in the game, including 2 at the very beginning, and we didn't set up like that once to my recollection. So I'm sure we worked on quick corners, but I'm not sure we rehearsed it exactly like it happened. I'd much prefer to credit Trent's quick thinking and Divock's awareness and the team's general "switched-on-ness" for that one. It shows more a group of players utterly focused on their tasks.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
Only thing I'll say about that is "why didn't we try that corner earlier?", if it was planned? I don't think it was as planned as people are trying to make out. I think it was an option, but Trent saw the opening and "called an audible", in NFL parlance. We had 6 corners in the game, including 2 at the very beginning, and we didn't set up like that once to my recollection. So I'm sure we worked on quick corners, but I'm not sure we rehearsed it exactly like it happened. I'd much prefer to credit Trent's quick thinking and Divock's awareness and the team's general "switched-on-ness" for that one. It shows more a group of players utterly focused on their tasks.

I agree. It was a split second decision from Trent, as Shaqiri was supposed to take the corner

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Oh, I agree there. I think the 'planning' was more in identifying opportunities rather than in the execution as it happened. It was spontaneous in its execution, but the idea to exploit any switching off had been identified and spoken about.

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
They had a couple of great chances that they missed in the first leg, so the xG must have been higher in the first leg for them.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
They had a couple of great chances that they missed in the first leg, so the xG must have been higher in the first leg for them.
Here are the two legs and the overall XG

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
wouldn't it be 3.9 to 3.8?

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Also Roy had Blackie Gray and Tubby Morton to put up with. Trent has Sadio and Alisson.

True, the glory days of Roy knowing he could rely on his Jumbo Trudgeon had faded by then.

Offline Akako

• Main Stander
My favourite game since Istanbul 2005 and 4-1 win in Old Trafford 2009
Let’s be honest no one wants the left back's shirt

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
Everytime I'm pissed I stick on the highlights of this. Anyone else?

Darren Fletcher shouting 'Wijnaldum! ' is weirdly one of my highlights of the season.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
Everytime I'm pissed awake I stick on the highlights of this. Anyone else?

Darren Fletcher shouting 'Wijnaldum! ' is weirdly one of my highlights of the season.

Fixed

Offline Kennys from heaven

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "NOBODY expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
I still get goosebumps when talking/thinking about it.

Followed by a warm feeling inside...  ;D
The most important people at Liverpool Football Club are the people who want to be here

Offline Andy-oh-six

• Legacy Fan
  • Mr Susan in 'the world of mirrors'...
Just rewatching it. I’m welling up again! Insane.
Internet terrorist

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
Just rewatching it. I’m welling up again! Insane.

The video of this tie should be available on prescription.

Offline rodderzzz

• Plonkah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • That's Bullshit Miss!
Anyone else remember this game? Was quite good wasn't it

Offline moondog

• dot com! Wake him up before he go-gos.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bring the noise

Was this the game that broke Messi?

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield

Was this the game that broke Messi?
Robbo ruffling Messi's hair....

:lmao

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite

The BBC Radio commentary on this match was something else. :)
#Sausages

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
It was ok.