Author Topic: Hypersonic sled reaches 2.9 km/sec - you can't even see it!  (Read 1489 times)

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Hypersonic sled reaches 2.9 km/sec - you can't even see it!
« on: September 14, 2019, 08:41:51 pm »
Yeah, sure, Bugatti breaking the 300+ mph mark with the Chiron is a pretty big deal, but have you ever seen something go 6,599 miles per hour (10,620 km/hr) before? Can you even see that?

This video features the U.S. Air Force testing a hypersonic sled at Holloman Air Force Base in New Mexico. While you might only see a bright flash of light, what you’re actually seeing is a sled traveling at Mach 8.6. You’re going to want to turn the sound on for this one.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Ia2bG9VNoUs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Ia2bG9VNoUs</a>

The threshold of hypersonic speed is Mach 5—something that this sled extremely exceeds.

The U.S. Air Force is testing a lot of things to see if they can withstand hypersonic speeds given that this is a growing focus of the military. If something is going to be moving at thousands of miles per hour, everything involved in it needs to be able to withstand high acceleration forces and heat stressors.

That includes everything from wirings to exterior coatings, which is why the military uses the Holloman High Speed Test Track on the base. The original track was completed in 1949 and grew to be ten miles in length, used by government agencies and contractors to test weapons and other things, since it’s cheaper to do that on the ground than it is to do it in the air.

This particular test, as the base noted on Instagram, saw the sled going over a mile per second. (Actually, it's 1.83 miles per sec, or 2.94 km per sec)

https://jalopnik.com/you-cant-even-see-this-hypersonic-sled-hit-6-599-mph-1838027056

« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 09:37:17 pm by soxfan »
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Hypersonic sled reaches 2.9 km/sec - you can't even see it!
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »
pffffffffffffftttttttt I saw man united's title chances go down the pan faster that that ;D

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 09:46:49 pm »
Pretty incredible
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline soxfan

• inebriated gonad donor (rejected) and Sperm Whale Milker (also rejected). Left-handed, shit-headed, non-fascist recidivist disappointer of women everywhere - on both drier and ranier days......rejects own eyebrows, the vain banana-hammock-wearin' get
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 12:50:25 am »
I just slowed it down to the 0.25 playback speed on youtube and then watched the "1/4 speed" portion of the video (go to 0:22), and you STILL can't see it go by. It's just a flash of light. :o
“Do not intermingle with people who act like 'they know it all'. If you do, you will wind up as lost and lonely as they are.”
― Christine Szymanski

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 02:52:56 pm »
Pah, I've seen the ISS fly over our house, that is doing 17,130 mph

I love the sound of that, proper Sci-Fi noise.

Shame the development is all so they can kill my children and other generations though.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:58:34 pm »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/iXpkAzIm2oM&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/iXpkAzIm2oM&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

:wave
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art