Author Topic: Hicks Interview  (Read 10175 times)

Offline Macedonian_Red

• NewsNow. Actually much later. And then probably wrong.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Hicks Interview
« Reply #80 on: January 16, 2009, 02:21:31 pm »

TOM HICKS INTERVIEW IN FULL

Jimmy Rice 16 January 2009

Liverpool co-chairman Tom Hicks gave an interview to Sky Sports News earlier today - here's what he had to say in full.

Journalist: What is your reaction to news that Rafa Benitez has rejected his contract offer?

Hicks: As Rafa says, we have a strong working relationship and we're united behind the team. We understand Rafa's frustrations and we're committed to working with him and his advisors to find a solution here. We'll keep talking. I'm coming over for the Chelsea match and we'd already planned to get together on the 30th and 31st to talk over a number of issues. We'll clear up anything that's been talked about here and now we want to keep our focus on the pitch - we've got the derby coming up.

Journalist: Do you understand where he's coming from with regards to control over transfers?

Hicks: Well, Rafa's been frustrated for a long time now about the length of time it takes for certain things to happen, and I think he's just trying to, you know, position himself to be able to do his job better. There are balances that need to be achieved in English football and we'll work through these things.

Journalist: He's said in the past that he's been frustrated with the time things take - does he have a point there?

Hicks: Well, sure he does - but we can fix that, and we will.

Journalist: Are the problems highlighted today fixable?

Hicks: I'm absolutely comfortable in saying Rafa loves Liverpool and will be the manager.

Journalist: How do you move on from this. You say you have a meeting at the end of the month - is that where these things will be thrashed out?

Hicks: George and I will be working with the lawyers to get this resolved. I am just not worried about it at all.

Journalist: How will this affect things on the pitch, because you've said in the past that you're happy with how things are going on the pitch? Liverpool are going well, aren't they? Will this affect that?

Hicks: Oh, I hope not. That's why Rafa's advisors have wanted to slow things down and try to take attention away from this. They want to stay focused on the pitch.

Journalist: So in terms of your relationship with Rafa, and George's, how does that stand at the moment?

Hicks: You know, I have had a great relationship with Rafa in this past year. We talk often and e-mail even more often. I have had a lot of fun watching him doing a great job this year and we've got a great relationship.

Journalist: So to reiterate, do you feel as though the problems with the contract negotiations can be worked out?

Hicks: I do - I certainly do. There are certainly no issues between Rafa and the owners in any way. There are issues he wants to work out to make things better for the club.

Journalist: And as far as the season is going - how pleased are you?

Hicks: Well, you can't complain at being first. We'd have liked a couple more points last weekend but we've now got to worry about Everton on Monday.

Journalist: What's your message to any Liverpool fans out there?

Hicks: They should relax - Rafa is going to be manager of Liverpool for the next five years and we'll work through these little lawyer issues.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N162870090116-1416.htm
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 02:25:19 pm by Macedonian_Red »

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #81 on: January 16, 2009, 02:22:50 pm »
Realised that was what you meant after posting. Was he here in 2007? Don't remember - didn't loathe them so much at that stage.

he was here for the 2007 semi, waving his scarf if i remember rightly.

alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline wideawakewesley

• Kopite
  • We all bleed red, so take the hint!
    • Weekly Geekly
« Reply #82 on: January 16, 2009, 02:28:09 pm »
As much as I hate Hicks and Gillet, they were good responses to the questions asked.

Wes

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #83 on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:09 pm »
Seems Hicks and Gillette are getting the hang of things- Keep quiet, you'll get your money, speak only when spoken to and always remember- the manager is in control.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline AndrewLFC_1971

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2009, 02:31:52 pm »
Why don't they all just go on TV burp and fight it out Rafa Vs Hicks Vs Parry Vs Gillette.....FIGHT!!!!!!

Offline lourdes

• Anny Roader
« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2009, 02:32:33 pm »
he was here for the 2007 semi, waving his scarf if i remember rightly.

That was a very good match. I remember Rafa sitting on the ground when the players took the penalties. It was as if he knew what exactly was going to happen.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
As much as I hate Hicks and Gillet, they were good responses to the questions asked.

Wes
Indeed.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline TrueYorkshireRed

• That'll be Barnsley then yeah?
  • Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #87 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »

Wes

I agree...even when he was asked the same things again and again in different words just to try and get him to say something they could pounce on.

Offline lourdes

• Anny Roader
« Reply #88 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:42 pm »
Atleast they have finally learnt to behave as proper owners. Still don't want them anywhere near the club.

Offline L Redwing

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:58 pm »
Seems Hicks and Gillette are getting the hang of things- Keep quiet, you'll get your money, speak only when spoken to and always remember- the manager is in control.
I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it appears that Freud Communications have reined them in.

Offline liverbird_soph

• Fitter than Megan Fox and Angelina Jolie
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2009, 02:35:12 pm »
I hate the owners and want them out, but that's the first time I've actually been quite glad of them opening their mouths. Seems to have nipped this story in the bud before it became a distraction, by confirming that this is all just part of ongoing contract negotiations.

What they say and do are two different things though and they need to bloody well sort this mess out and get Rafa and Agger signed.
Above all else comes truth & justice.

Offline Kaka 22

• Bayern Munich Supporters Club, Member No. 00001
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2009, 02:35:38 pm »
of course he answered well - you don't become a millionaire by not being able to answer a couple of open questions...

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:16 pm »
Hicks plays blinder shocker  :o
@ManifoldReasons

Offline scousejon

• Isn't called Jon, doesn't live in Woolton and definately doesn't sell iPhone cases
  • Kopite
  • If it aint broke dont hicks it
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:43 pm »
Im behind rafa on this one and its not unusual for contracts to be rejected several times before they come to an agreement.  Dissapointing it was leaked.  Our club is getting good at this now.  Good responces from hicks but he's still a twat and annoying he wont give full controll of transfers to rafa.

Oh and its shite timing aswell.  Suppose there wouldnt be a good time for it to get leaked though.

Come on reds
JFT 96

"Liverpool was made for me and I was made for Liverpool." Bill Shankly

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: January 16, 2009, 02:37:36 pm »
I wouldn't trust the c*nt over anything he says.
Hear hear. There's some people with short memories on here. Actions speak louder than words.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Mal

• adjusted. The Preston Heston is Aylesbury Ducked. Accepts rubbers from any Dick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: January 16, 2009, 02:41:42 pm »
Hear hear. There's some people with short memories on here. Actions speak louder than words.

Hicks response is too quick for it not to have been orchestrated. Surely anyone can see that they're ganging up on Parry...?
@ManifoldReasons

Offline unusg

• heron
  • Kopite
  • first is first. second is nowhere !!
« Reply #96 on: January 16, 2009, 02:41:43 pm »
Not surprised that rafa's rejected the contract over transfer responsibilities. our performance over the last 10 years in quickly nailing the identified target has not been great and the common thread is ......RICK Parry........

Cant help feeling that if this isnt sorted quickly we will be back on the merry go round again with Rafa and Hicks versus gillett and parry.

Also very concerned that we have never won a game when hicks has come to watch (Barca, Chelsea, AC Milan, Man Utd etc.) We have only drawn Arsenal at Emirates when he has come to watch.

Offline nm83

• Kopite
  • Minister of Sarcasm
« Reply #97 on: January 16, 2009, 02:41:58 pm »
I wouldn't have thought it possible, but it appears that Freud Communications have reined them in.

indeed ... good to see that at least some of the money they're leeching off us has gone to good use.  seems like it was actually well handled for a change.  they still need to f*** off though.
YNWA

Offline Dave Skywalker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 16, 2009, 02:43:33 pm »
Just give Rafa what he wants.

Offline JoeH

• Slightly obsessed with things up the bum - thinks it's funny.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: January 16, 2009, 02:45:30 pm »
Now heres what he's up to:
Hicks: As Rafa says, we have a strong working relationship and we're united behind the team.

He's Fergies poodle!  :o

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: January 16, 2009, 02:54:55 pm »
Hicks response is too quick for it not to have been orchestrated. Surely anyone can see that they're ganging up on Parry...?
Of course that's the obvious subtext behind Hicks' response. He gets rid of the blocking vote and general thorn in his side that is Parry (not sure how Gillett feels about this given their alliance), and Rafa also gets what he wants, full control. Thing is I can see Hicks promising that to Rafa, but then installing Ayres and backtracking on that promise. It's what he does best, lie and cheat.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: January 16, 2009, 03:02:30 pm »
"There are certainly no issues between Rafa and the owners in any way. There are issues he wants to work out to make things better for the club."
Why Thomas, whatever can you mean? ::)

I know both men want Parry removed but I also think there's a higher power struggle going on here, and that Rafa is a mere pawn being used for Hicks' gain. Without Parry, who knows what abominations Hicks will force through the board, or inertia it would create given the likely 3-3 split in decision-making, with the two Gillets and Moores versus the two Hicks and Ayres (the most likely CEO).

Offline kopindian

• Legacy Fan
    • Films I Watch
« Reply #102 on: January 16, 2009, 03:07:26 pm »
Surely anyone can see that they're ganging up on Parry...?

Think so.Also he talks about lawyers being involved in the talks with rafa and george.Could be to do with parry sacking or ownership situation.

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: January 16, 2009, 03:10:59 pm »
Well played Hicks, handled it all very well. Journalist was pushing for a negative reaction BUT he has shown that he learnt from his mistakes and answered the questions well. Relief.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 03:11:12 pm »
Ive seen atleast 3 posts which have agreed with the actions of Tom Hicks on here and Im starting to really worry ;|
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Jagdip

• former Lunatic
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 16, 2009, 03:14:03 pm »
Ive seen atleast 3 posts which have agreed with the actions of Tom Hicks on here and Im starting to really worry ;|

Would you say mine agrees?

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 16, 2009, 03:20:54 pm »
fair interview but i just think he has learnt how to deal with our media.
An attempt to get Parry out?  His vote is an important one though and i cant see the yanks sticking to their promises with Rafa unless Rafa knows someone like Ayres will be put in place and get what he needs done.

Hicks knows he must keep Rafa as his record in Europe is incredible and reports have indicated that a win could be worth as much as a 100 million.  There is plenty of prize money for the premiership also plus everything that goes with it.

Offline steer

• Grampa
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2009, 03:29:46 pm »
it all comes down to the fact that rafa doesnt want to work with or for Parry. Hicks will fully support that. 

Anyone else notice Rick Parry's son as a coach at the academy?  I am sure he is well qualified to do that role.

Offline McMahon

• mrrrnnggghh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2009, 03:40:22 pm »
it all comes down to the fact that rafa doesnt want to work with or for Parry. Hicks will fully support that. 

Anyone else notice Rick Parry's son as a coach at the academy?  I am sure he is well qualified to do that role.

Parry should of been run out of town a long time ago, and his son should never be near LFC.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2009, 03:54:05 pm »
Fair do's that's the first time I've seen a statement from the Yanks that didn't make me want to projectile vomit onto the nearest bystander. Mind you, I am on my own in the office today so perhaps not a fair test.

Like said above - actions speak louder than words.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline kopite87

• Main Stander
  • Rafa's got his Dirk out
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:07 pm »
I hate that fat fucker, but u couldn't really ask 4 better responses there.

I was fearing the worst wen I heard about the interview

Offline Hugh

• Zit, just to the right of his nose, below the lip.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Man of the People
    • Hugh O'Connell
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2009, 03:55:47 pm »
Interview's fine but for one thing, I have absolutely no trust whatsoever in anything that c*nt says.

Offline TrueYorkshireRed

• That'll be Barnsley then yeah?
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2009, 04:05:04 pm »

I dont think anyones particularly agreeing or disagreeing with him...people are just in shock that for once he's spoken to the media without putting both feet in his mouth and then shooting himself in them!

Offline Mal

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2009, 04:12:36 pm »
Of course that's the obvious subtext behind Hicks' response. He gets rid of the blocking vote and general thorn in his side that is Parry (not sure how Gillett feels about this given their alliance), and Rafa also gets what he wants, full control. Thing is I can see Hicks promising that to Rafa, but then installing Ayres and backtracking on that promise. It's what he does best, lie and cheat.

I wouldn't trust him as far as I could throw him (& he weighs a fair bit more than I do...) but I'm glad he's headed this one off at the pass.

Clearly ganging up on Parry & he does need to be removed but at present GG won't allow it; therefore Ayres won't get a look in.

IMHO, the ownership will be resolved before Parry goes, therefore Ayres is a non-issue.
@ManifoldReasons

Offline JimmyGrunt

• Transgender Asylum Seeker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2009, 04:26:27 pm »
Did he end the interview with "Everton won't like that" again?
PSN ID = JimmyGrunt

Yea mate just put your sky box on top of the fridge, put an egg in the microwave then wave your satalite dish around on the roof worked for me lad.

Offline RAFA - 6 - 19

• Fighteningly inept.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2009, 04:27:37 pm »
Did he end the interview with "Everton won't like that" again?

that was brilliant, his kid looked so knackered and pissed off!

Offline Dish shhh

• Kopite
  • It's always darkest before the dawn
« Reply #116 on: January 16, 2009, 04:32:17 pm »
Why won't Parry agree, if he has any say at all, to allow Rafa more say in transfers etc?  We'll still need a CEO, it's just that his portfolio may be reduced slightly.  The club want and need Rafa to stay.  I'm happy enough for Parry to stay too as long as there's no repeat of the Athens fiasco and our approach to transfers becomes much more efficient.
Brian Reade - "Rafa Benitez was many things at Liverpool but unlike every manager since Kenny Dalglish, he was not a failure. Indeed a majority of Liverpudlians will remember him as a legend. Because like Bill Shankly, on more days and nights than those expert pundits ever care to recall, he made the people happy".

Offline Kopite_1984

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: January 16, 2009, 04:35:55 pm »
Journalist: He's said in the past that he's been frustrated with the time things take - does he have a point there?

Hicks: Well, sure he does - but we can fix that, and we will.

Does anyone think this is subtly saying Parry is the problem and we will look to remove him?

Offline rafabenihill

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: January 16, 2009, 04:37:42 pm »
so far, rafa has been very discreet about his disagreements with parry..
nothing vocal, nothing dramatic..
guess he feels kinda indebted to parry as he was the one who signed him..
now is the first time he had actually said that he should not be accountable to CEO..
White liquid in a bottle. It's milk, for sure.

Offline xerxes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 16, 2009, 04:41:44 pm »
I like Hicks, always have.

So shoot me.
Xerxes MBE