Author Topic: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World  (Read 3200 times)

Offline Paul JH

• Elmer Fudd. I'm a witch! A WITCH!
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Don't do drugs..."
Re: Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2010, 12:54:58 pm »
Saw this last night, loved it. It's mad, and I think some of the 'fight' scenes are just daft, but was something different.
And the dive through the window when Knives knocked round had me in stitches.
 ;D
Sarcastic Net Pest and Sanctimonious Arse.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: August 28, 2010, 01:36:56 pm »
Looks dodgy this but lots of people been saying its good?
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline Rusty Oysterburger

• Might be George Gillett
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 10:41:09 pm »
Was sold out at the Odeon on Wednesday, which put paid to my fears of it totally flopping over here as well as in the US, although the downside was that I couldn't see it.  Hopefully I'll catch it on Tuesday, already wiki'd it to see how the ending differs (script was written about the same time as the final book) and it seems worthy of holding my nerd-rage in check.  Certainly better than the total cop out that was Kick Ass (or the unmitigated mess that was Wanted).

I went to three different screenings on Wednesday and Thursday and they were all sold out, summer holidays I guess...

As for the differences, the film follows the book almost panel for panel until the Todd Ingram battle, it looks like they used the comic as the storyboards for most of it. After that it really is quite different without sacrificing the overall story and themes. I found a number of changes turned out a bit better than the book, the Katayanagi twins battle is much better, and using the Battle of the Bands thing as a through line for the whole movie is a great decision, it makes a lot of sense and means the other characters have a reason to stay with Scott for the whole thing.

I did miss Knives' dad, Honest Ed's and it could have done with more Envy Adams though.
www.twitter.com/savagefletch

"'Do it?' Dan, I'm not a Republic serial villain. Do you seriously think I'd explain my master-stroke if there remained the slightest chance of you affecting its outcome? I did it thirty-five minutes ago."

Offline Ginamos

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2010, 10:11:02 am »
Just started reading the books, really enjoying them. Looking forward to the film.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010, 05:43:25 am »
I read 1 volume of the comic, then watched the movie, then read the rest of the comic.

The comic is very solid. A great slacker story for my generation. The movie is fun, but is too rushed and felt a little too random without any character development. Just a reference fest- a good one mind you, but nothing on the comic.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2010, 06:01:46 pm »
Went to see it yesterday, though it was great. Liked 'Shaun of the Dead' and 'Hot Fuzz' but this is so much better. Heard it's got poor Box Office reciepts so far in the USA, which is a shame. I imagine it'll be quite big on DVD sales though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Finn Solomon

• Life sentence
  • Legacy Fan
  • I love Coutinho's balls
« Reply #46 on: August 30, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »
This is a great mash-up. ;D

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4RsZErYEXz8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4RsZErYEXz8?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en</a>
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:35:11 pm by Finn Solomon »
Twitter - FinnSolomon
Rafa made it so that you didn't give a shit which fucking ball emerged from Platini's jar.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2010, 02:32:22 am »
That's brill ;D

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2010, 11:24:43 am »
Saw it last night

Very very good. Edgar Wright is going to be a star director on the back of this. Doubt we'll be seeing cult classics like Shawn of the dead and Hot Fuzz from him any time soon. He's in the big leagues now

If you hate Micheal Cera this isn't going to change your mind. But the comic book style and a very hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes this a very good watch.

Film of the year from me so far

Liked the 8-bit Universal intro
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:27:32 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2023, 11:54:19 am »
Watched the first three episodes of Scott Pilgrim Takes Off, a series helmed by Bryan Lee O'Malley, who wrote the original comic books. It looks really good - the animation was done by a Japanese studio using the comics as a guideline - but the real news is that the plot deviates hugely from the books (and film) in a way that pretty much places it as an alternate reality version, which I like to some extent. The books are out there unchanged, and O'Malley's decided to do something new and interesting with the concept and characters. Spoilers below:

Spoiler
Essentially, Scott loses (or 'loses') the very first fight with an evil ex leaving Ramona Flowers, the only person who believes he isn't dead, to investigate. The show has very much shifted the perspective to the female characters, partially out of a duty to make Knives Chao into a more serious character, and I'm interested to see how it pays off. Especially as the source material was essentially about maturity and coming to terms with your past shittiness while navigating your future. Will this cover that? Willing to wait and see but right now it looks doubtful.
[close]

Another thing that needs mentioning is that Edgar Wright is exec producing and they got most if not all of the original voice cast in. That should pay dividends but actually doesn't because many of them have little or no experience with voice acting, which in practice makes their delivery quite flat a lot of the time. Great musical choices though: I think the first three end-of-episode songs have been X, Cristina and Tegan and Sara.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2023, 12:08:50 pm »
Rewatched the film the other night and then binged the series over the last couple of days.

It really helped having pretty much the entirety of the original cast back and was a really fun alternate story although it still wasn't a scratch on the (IMO, perfect) film.

Offline Scottymuser

• Has many leather bound books (about football), and his home smells of rich mahogany. Bow to his superior knowledge of central defenders.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2023, 02:43:18 pm »
Saw it last night

Very very good. Edgar Wright is going to be a star director on the back of this. Doubt we'll be seeing cult classics like Shawn of the dead and Hot Fuzz from him any time soon. He's in the big leagues now

If you hate Micheal Cera this isn't going to change your mind. But the comic book style and a very hot Mary Elizabeth Winstead makes this a very good watch.

Film of the year from me so far

Liked the 8-bit Universal intro

Haven't seen the tv show that has bumped this thread, but reading this did make me chuckle a little - since Scott Pilgrim he has gone on to direct mostly Cult classics, with The Worlds End, The Sparks Brothers, and Last Night in Soho all matching (I'd say) the definition of cult movie; and whilst Baby Driver may have been less a cult film, it still only had a buidget of $34m (mostly thanks to music and a couple of the actors) and a combined global box office of 225m (easily his highest, but not "big budget mega hit levels).