Author Topic: Hurricane Irma and related current severe weather events  (Read 17941 times)

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Hurricane Irma and related current severe weather events
« on: September 6, 2017, 09:10:20 pm »
Mother Nature is at it again.

Terrifying stuff!

Eric Blake 🌀 ✔ @EricBlake12
#Irma has now maintained 185 mph winds for 24 hours - no Atlantic or eastern Pacific #hurricane has ever stayed this strong for so long.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/06/hurricane-irma-caribbean-islands-category-5-storm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-41172726

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/09/06/us/hurricane-irma-puerto-rico-florida/index.html
« Last Edit: September 8, 2017, 12:29:46 pm by Phil M »
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
Re: Hurricane Irma
« Reply #1 on: September 6, 2017, 09:50:03 pm »
Via Eric Holthaus

Scale of it is just something else. Satellite imagery) And it looks like it's still strengthening rather than weakening.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline Antoine Lavoisier

• Anny Roader
  • the torchlight red on sweaty faces
« Reply #2 on: September 6, 2017, 09:59:32 pm »
I can only imagine the fear you'd have knowing something like that was approaching. I heard earlier people paying five figure sums for last minute plane tickets out. Can't blame them really. You'd get your kids out if you could afford it like that, wouldn't you.

And in short, I was afraid

Offline Roady

• Streety's long lost brother. AKA the Shit Buhunt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 6, 2017, 10:04:21 pm »
My boss is due to fly home Saturday evening from Florida . Just when it's due to hit there. Likely to have down graded by then I imagine.
Giant sponges. That is the answer for flooding.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4 on: September 6, 2017, 10:09:15 pm »
My boss is due to fly home Saturday evening from Florida . Just when it's due to hit there. Likely to have down graded by then I imagine.

Flight will more than likely be cancelled.

I'm assuming mine will in the morning.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #5 on: September 6, 2017, 10:10:56 pm »
They are saying on CNN a big Hurricane has started up in the bay of Mexico Hurricane Katie and another one Hurricane Jose has started up taking the same route as Irma first time ever 3 at the same time.

« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 10:15:27 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #6 on: September 6, 2017, 10:12:53 pm »
Its like Mother nature is trying to prove to Trump climate change is real.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: September 6, 2017, 10:17:47 pm »
Its like Mother nature is trying to prove to Trump climate change is real.

Don't be so stupid! God is punishing gays. And brown people.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #8 on: September 6, 2017, 10:29:45 pm »
Terrifying stuff. Stay safe any RAWKites that are affected.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #9 on: September 6, 2017, 10:51:58 pm »
Wind speeds of 185mph.  I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying that must be

Online Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #10 on: September 6, 2017, 10:55:54 pm »

first time ever 3 at the same time.

Hurricane Igor, Julia, and Karl in 2010.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #11 on: September 6, 2017, 11:02:17 pm »
My parents live in South Florida and they're all ready and bunkered down. It's been near on impossible to buy drinking water and gasoline for days now and if you do luck out and find it, you'll have to spend hours waiting for it. They also entertained the idea of leaving via plane for somewhere, but the ticket prices are insane. They can find cheaper flights to Asia than New York, it's absolutely ridiculous. Plus that and not knowing when they'll be back because of power outages at airports, damage, cancelled flights, etc.

I can't believe the people who have (and will be) affected most by disasters in these states mostly voted for Trump -  the man who slashed the EPA budget, who entertained slashing FEMA's budget, and who thinks global warming is a hoax. My parents are staunch Democrats, for the record.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 11:04:21 pm by Caligula? »

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 6, 2017, 11:05:04 pm »
My parents live in South Florida and they're all ready and bunkered down. It's been near on impossible to buy drinking water and gasoline for days now and if you do luck out and find it, you'll have to spend hours waiting for it. They also entertained the idea of leaving via plane for somewhere, but the ticket prices are insane. They can find cheaper flights to Asia than New York, it's absolutely ridiculous. Plus that and not knowing when they'll be back because of power outages at airports, damage, cancelled flights, etc.

I can't believe the people who have (and will be) affected most by disasters in these states mostly voted for Trump -  the man who slashed the EPA budget, who entertained slashing FEMA's budget, and who thinks global warming is a hoax. My parents are staunch Democrats, for the record.
Would driving not be the best way out?

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 6, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »
Are ticket prices going up because people are selling them on for inflated prices or are airlines trying to make money off this disaster?
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #14 on: September 6, 2017, 11:10:51 pm »
Would driving not be the best way out?

There are only a few major freeways that head north and out of Florida. The biggest concern is that everyone will hit the roads and traffic will be at an absolute standstill. Even with a full tank of gas and some extra canisters with fuel in the back, they'd only make it to northern Florida at best, and that's if they don't stop at all. Run out of fuel somewhere in the middle of your journey and you're basically fucked.

Plus, the storm is so monstrous in size it will eventually make its way north anyway. It'll weaken in strength, but I suppose the northern parts of the state will get hit hard as well. So they're unlikely to avoid it anyway, unless they drive really far.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #15 on: September 6, 2017, 11:12:10 pm »
Are ticket prices going up because people are selling them on for inflated prices or are airlines trying to make money off this disaster?

I'm guessing it's the airlines. They've checked all the popular websites, including the airlines directly themselves and prices are still out of control.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 6, 2017, 11:12:25 pm »
Irma hit the eastern Carrribeans yesterday and the island of Barbuda has been hit. No contact since 12 hours and apparently the PM just reported 90% damage and the island being "obliterated". Unconfirmed reports of 1000+ deaths, The island's population is 1600.

Hoping for better news.

Wow. Hopefully thats not true.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #17 on: September 6, 2017, 11:14:28 pm »
Irma hit the eastern Carrribeans yesterday and the island of Barbuda has been hit. No contact since 12 hours and apparently the PM just reported 90% damage and the island being "obliterated". Unconfirmed reports of 1000+ deaths, The island's population is 1600.

Hoping for better news.

There's been news since. Massive devastation (90% of the houses gone) but their PM, who flew in from Antigua to check what had happened, seemed to only report one known death (so far). The 1000+ deaths seems to have come from someone on social media mishearing what the PM said. (source: Caribbean press eg https://antiguaobserver.com/barbuda-update/ )
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 6, 2017, 11:16:21 pm »
I'm guessing it's the airlines. They've checked all the popular websites, including the airlines directly themselves and prices are still out of control.
have they tried phoning up the airline, could be their pricing models going mad with so many looking to get out of town rather than anything else

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: September 6, 2017, 11:17:07 pm »

Disgusting.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #20 on: September 6, 2017, 11:19:34 pm »
There's been news since. Massive devastation (90% of the houses gone) but the PM, who flew in to check what had happened, seemed to only report one known death (so far). The 1000+ deaths seems to have come from someone on social media mishearing what the PM said.

These are pictures from Gustavia, St. Barts I saw on Facebook earlier. They were right in the brunt of it, winds of 170+ mph reported. I'm shocked that most of those houses are intact, roofs and all. If anything, flooding seems to be the bigger issue.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #21 on: September 6, 2017, 11:21:23 pm »
He's not back from Barbuda yet I think, Which is why we can't make out what he said over the phone line. The word 1000 was audible what followed it was inaudible.

Unless this is after, Which is improbable because the phone call happened just 1 hour ago.

The link I posted also has this: https://antiguaobserver.com/one-dead-after-hurricane-irma-destroyed-barbuda/

The CEO of the helicopter company which flew the PM into Barbuda confirmed that it's one known fatality.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #22 on: September 6, 2017, 11:23:06 pm »
have they tried phoning up the airline, could be their pricing models going mad with so many looking to get out of town rather than anything else

Yeah, you could be right. Demand must be through the roof right now, no pun intended. Who knows.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #23 on: September 6, 2017, 11:23:37 pm »

Hey, supply and demand. What a wonderful world.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #24 on: September 6, 2017, 11:28:48 pm »
These are pictures from Gustavia, St. Barts I saw on Facebook earlier. They were right in the brunt of it, winds of 170+ mph reported. I'm shocked that most of those houses are intact, roofs and all. If anything, flooding seems to be the bigger issue.

That's bonkers. Was watching some footage of one of the islands where it was trees going, and cars and vans just being blown all over. I know some of the climate boffins I follow on social media were talking of storm surges of anything up to 20' being possible on some of the islands which may explain some of the flooding there.
« Last Edit: September 6, 2017, 11:31:35 pm by Zeb »

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: September 6, 2017, 11:31:36 pm »
JetBlue apparently listed their flights at $99 out of Florida. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblue-caps-ticket-prices-florida-99-ahead-hurricane-irma-173232462.html

Funny enough, my parents moved down to Florida YESTERDAY. Oops. Luckily they're fairly far north so it should have weakened by that point. They're just north of Daytona.

Generally in hurricanes, flooding is the largest problem. The storm surge can wipe out buildings much more easily than the winds. Then flooding will cause permanent damage and destroy buildings from mildew, rot, etc.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #26 on: September 6, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
JetBlue apparently listed their flights at $99 out of Florida. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/jetblue-caps-ticket-prices-florida-99-ahead-hurricane-irma-173232462.html

Funny enough, my parents moved down to Florida YESTERDAY. Oops. Luckily they're fairly far north so it should have weakened by that point. They're just north of Daytona.

Generally in hurricanes, flooding is the largest problem. The storm surge can wipe out buildings much more easily than the winds. Then flooding will cause permanent damage and destroy buildings from mildew, rot, etc.

Good on JetBlue for doing that.

Also, tell your parents to prepare. I'd imagine that currently things aren't as hectic up north as they are in the south, so they should stock up on food, fuel and supplies. I've no idea where they live but if they can board up their windows by Friday or Saturday in the latest, that'd be good too. They might be far from it now, but if the forecasts that we're seeing remain true then they'll probably experience something of a category 2 hurricane even as far north as where they are.

Offline Ekul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #27 on: September 6, 2017, 11:45:27 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dA5qYrboTUE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dA5qYrboTUE</a>

Good on JetBlue for doing that.

Also, tell your parents to prepare. I'd imagine that currently things aren't as hectic up north as they are in the south, so they should stock up on food, fuel and supplies. I've no idea where they live but if they can board up their windows by Friday or Saturday in the latest, that'd be good too. They might be far from it now, but if the forecasts that we're seeing remain true then they'll probably experience something of a category 2 hurricane even as far north as where they are.

I let them know. They also live just a street over from my uncle who grew up there, so he knows what to do as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 6, 2017, 11:46:01 pm »
To think i moaned about what a crap summer we had in the UK and how the weather is much better elsewhere. Its only when nature reminds you of its force like this that you remember how lucky we are in the UK to have generally such benign weather.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #29 on: September 6, 2017, 11:56:24 pm »
"It looks like it could be something that will be not good - believe me not good"

One day, I hope to tell my granddaughter that "this man was real, but his like will never be back. So don't worry". I can but hope.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #30 on: September 7, 2017, 12:03:09 am »
Has everyone heard of that famous airport near the beach at St. Maarten where people take pictures of very low-flying planes as they land right above them?

Well, it's been pretty much destroyed now.

https://twitter.com/SxM_Ricky/status/905477675791392769/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stuff.co.nz%2Ftravel%2Ftravel-troubles%2F96582686%2Fworld-famous-st-maarten-airport-destroyed-by-hurricane-irma

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: September 7, 2017, 12:10:38 am »
To think i moaned about what a crap summer we had in the UK and how the weather is much better elsewhere. Its only when nature reminds you of its force like this that you remember how lucky we are in the UK to have generally such benign weather.

I know, it is peculiar isn't it? I remember watching a Prof. Brian Cox series a few years ago about the solar system and the harshness of its planets and moons. By comparison and in one particular sequence, we'd imagined the acid rains, unimaginable winds and crushing forces of Jupiter. Then he was standing in a rainforest on Earth - soaked to the core, heavy, warm beautiful rain. Green and life giving.

I've never looked at or stood in a rainy day the same since. I've never complained about the rain since.

Nature here is both beautiful and at times, terrifying. We truly don't know how lucky we are. Though I'd never chat such shit to those poor people facing what they are right now.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #32 on: September 7, 2017, 12:14:46 am »

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 7, 2017, 12:17:20 am »
No where to buy water and gas is running low at the moment, people panicking. Thankfully I'm not in south florida, but still close enough to be worried.

• Anny Roader
« Reply #34 on: September 7, 2017, 12:21:43 am »
5.5 hours per day on average - cant complain I suppose?

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: September 7, 2017, 12:22:48 am »
No where to buy water and gas is running low at the moment, people panicking. Thankfully I'm not in south florida, but still close enough to be worried.

Where are you my friend? Are you seeing anythin yet?

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #36 on: September 7, 2017, 12:53:49 am »
The US airlines are not charging for cancelling or changing flight reservations for those cities effected. It's all over the news here.

Anyone in the path of Irma, stay safe.

Personal weather prediction is the eye of the hurricane goes just east of Florida mainland. I think those in the Carolina's need to prepare.

Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #37 on: September 7, 2017, 01:05:01 am »
I have a friend on holiday with his GF in the Dominican Republic right now - where the storm has just started hitting. They've been told not leave their hotel rooms.
« Last Edit: September 7, 2017, 01:09:08 am by bornandbRED »

• Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: September 7, 2017, 01:08:02 am »
I have a friend on holiday with his bid in the Dominican Republic right now - where the storm has just started hitting. They've been told not leave their hotel rooms.

I remember holidaying there in the north of the island some 20 years when a storm hit, we had to lock down. Thankfully for us it wasn't anything really bad, the south of the island however took a severe hit. I hope people have had time to get to safety.

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #39 on: September 7, 2017, 01:20:36 am »
I remember holidaying there in the north of the island some 20 years when a storm hit, we had to lock down. Thankfully for us it wasn't anything really bad, the south of the island however took a severe hit. I hope people have had time to get to safety.

These big ones do seem to be becoming more frequent? (although I'm not sure that is logical / predicted by climate change models) We cancelled our honeymoon in Jamaica nearly 30 years ago when H. Gilbert hit, many hundreds were killed and it was described as a once in a lifetime event.