Author Topic: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)  (Read 1015224 times)

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Darwin Núñez (Darwin Gabriel Núñez Ribeiro)
« Reply #15080 on: Today at 06:20:09 pm »
Not the best comparison generally. Rushie was ruthless in front of goal, often helped out at the back, and was rarely offside.

Hard to think of many examples where Liverpool forwards suddenly come good after a few years.

Owen, Fowler, Torres, Suarez, Salah, Mane all looked the part straight away. Firmino struggled first few months but that was a coaching issue - as soon as Klopp came in he proved his worth. Suarez in the sense that he wasn't prolific in front of goal until his 2nd full season when Rodgers came in. He was always a top player though, Nunez is just so raw as a footballer, not just a finisher.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15081 on: Today at 06:58:10 pm »
Not the best comparison generally. Rushie was ruthless in front of goal, often helped out at the back, and was rarely offside.

Id imagine if you're often helping out at the back, it'd be pretty hard to be offside

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #15082 on: Today at 08:34:01 pm »
Id imagine if you're often helping out at the back, it'd be pretty hard to be offside

True. What about the 346 goals?

Online sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15083 on: Today at 08:44:49 pm »
If your team is having 30 shots per game on average and numerous other attcking situations then, I'm sorry, your main striker has to be banging in well more more than 11 goals. Finishing and football intelligence are two things you cannot teach or improve. You either have them or you don't. If we get an offer for him in the summer I'd cut our losses and take it and try and sign a proper number 9.

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15084 on: Today at 08:45:52 pm »
He will most likely get another season with the new manager but as most others have said hes not a natural clever footballer. I certainly dont fancy him when he gets a great opening to score. Some obviously have to go in, but his numbers should be much higher.
A bit similar when mo steps up to take a pen, rarely are they in the corner and placed exactly where the kepper has no chance, if the keeper dives the right way hes usually saving a mo pen. 

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15085 on: Today at 08:53:33 pm »
Think we’ll have no choice but to keep him any way. We wouldn’t get back half the money we paid for him and FSG will not be shelling out for another striker. Add to the fact that Mo is on his way over and down the hill, Jota is the new Thiago and Gakpo will never be prolific either, Darwin will be our main striker next season.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #15086 on: Today at 10:02:43 pm »
Why did the Club brief the media saying he was a Klopp signing?

I also think he will stay another season. I think he will be a success.
« Last Edit: Today at 10:05:02 pm by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online KC7

• Boys Pen
« Reply #15087 on: Today at 10:23:09 pm »
I think Nunez will stay, and hopefully with the tweaks made to the team (getting the midfield functioning for one) he and the other forwards will be more productive.

We have leaked chances all season. This ramps up the pressure on the attackers, and when it got to the business end that pressure was too much. We saw it most in the Palace game when desperation kicked in, and when that happens attackers miss chances they would normally score. We have had to play catch up in games throughout the season, you are just putting immense demands on the attackers to keep bailing us out. The Palace game in particular, the choice to start a goosed Endo less than 72 hours after he had been rinsed by Atalanta, Palace and their athletic midfielders were licking their lips at targeting him as they did earlier in the season. We inevitably lost the first half, and then when Endo was hooked during the break we then gave the players a half to salvage the game.  Vs United at OT, we conceded six goals in two games against a pathetic outfit; the league game a hooked pass over the top by Casemiro into that gaping hole in midfield vacated by Endo who then doesn"t have the recovery pace to get back allowed United a free run in on goal from which they went ahead. Its cheap, constantly. We talked about the attackers in both games, but they'd have needed to have scored eight goals in two games at OT to have won them both. That's a ridiculous ask.

In the same way I wouldnt have criticised any of the defenders during the 22-23 season given that they had a season with no protection infront of them, I struggle to really go after any of the forwards in this season as they are playing in a dysfunctional side, chiefly a dysfunctional midfield (although somewhat better than the complete shitshow of the previous season), which means they are constantly up against it. They are not a cohesive attacking unit but that's more a managerial issue, its he who has to get that mix right. But their finishing, there are extenuating circumstances for why they have missed chances.

Get the midfield working again (6 brought in top priority), which allows the advanced 8s to have more freedom without the same restrictions in having to stay close to the 6 that they have had to do this season, that then gives the attackers a better platform to succeed, and without that constant need/pressure to bail out the team. When the team is working everyone is calmer, more composed, less desperate in their play, and composure for a forward is a necessity. Nunez has never been the most composed finisher (he may never be) but the demands this season to all the forwards have been off the scale. Going behind has been the norm, there is no security for them, so they go into games thinking we need two or three here which automatically makes their job alot harder.

I know we are without a quality 6, but had we started that Palace game with a functioning midfield, those forwards would not have snatched at the chances they did. We cannot keep asking them to go to the well and bail us out (as happened with the Rodgers season when we conceded 50), we need the team working again to then see the best of the forwards, Nunez included.

« Last Edit: Today at 11:00:42 pm by KC7 »

Online sonnyred

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15088 on: Today at 10:50:19 pm »
Yeah there's no doubt we could do with a Cheick Doucoure at the base of midfield, or a similar athlete. But that doesn't alter the fact we are having 30+ shots per game and numerous other good attacking situations and your main striker has scored 11 goals. He's not good enough. I hope Klopp plays Danns for the rest of the season to give the guy some experience, from the few games he's had you can tell he knows where the goal is. Darwin to me is a player you bring on in the last 10-15 mins to try and something different and that's it. He's never a main striker.