Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3491970 times)

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #41240 on: December 30, 2015, 12:47:32 pm »

A friend just saw this and said it was excellent and that I'd love it.
So yes, definitely want to see this.

It is excellent!
Fantastic cast delivers great performances, all of them individual and stand out in any other movie but collectively its magnificent

Trumbo is also very very good - Cranston is ace
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41241 on: December 30, 2015, 02:07:17 pm »
Anomalisa 2015 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive CM8

This looks intriguing, nice one. Tonight's viewing sorted ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline johnsmithlfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You may say I'm a Dreamer
« Reply #41242 on: December 30, 2015, 07:17:48 pm »
I've had "Purple Rose of Cairo" in my head for days...Going to watch tonight after the footy.
I keep hearing 'Cheek to Cheek' playing in my head  ;D
Really in the mood for it.
The greatness of a man is not in how much wealth he acquires but in his integrity and his ability to affect those around him positively - Bob Marley

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41243 on: December 30, 2015, 11:19:55 pm »
The big short totally brilliant I like how people suddenly break the 4th wall.

Ok it didn't totally happen this way but.....

"He did really do that"

Or suddenly goes into a real person telling you what the deals are all about.

and of course Master of Puppets.

I think I will watch it again later on there was so much to take in.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 12:55:01 pm by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41244 on: December 31, 2015, 12:23:00 am »
Its boss. It takes this template of an action movie and delivers on thrills and spectacles but also imagines a world when civilisation due to man made catastrophe has reverted to its most brutal and primitive instincts of domination, slavery, fanaticism and cruelty. Miller absolutely made an amazing movie, and built on his originals, which in their depiction of a future post apocalyptic dystopia where cars are the remnants of human technology that give scavengers and savage men power, it was simply visionary and influenced the way we imagine the future. Very influential, as genre and as a dystopian vision.

Some people say its a feminist movie but that downplays its excellence. It depicts the domination and enslavement of men too in the war boys, how people can be abused, enslaved and made fanatics by religion and cults.

I'd nominate Charlize Theron as an actress, special effects, and direction. I'd give Miller the Oscar for best director, but I doubt he'll win, and I'd nominate it for best film but it won't win because its not an Oscar winning kind of movie.

Its one hell of a movie. Brutal, savage, clever and underlying it all, very humane. And Furiosa is one of the best characters of recent years.

Great film but mad max 2 was better Mel Gibson is max

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41245 on: December 31, 2015, 08:47:19 am »
Knight of Cups 2015 1080p H264 AC3-EVO
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #41246 on: December 31, 2015, 11:21:26 am »
Loved Anomalisa ...a quite remarkable look at depression, isolation, midlife existential futility, love, hope and the mundanity of human existence - and all done via stop-motion animation!  8) ....another gem from Charlie Kaufman..the most imaginative screenwriter in Hollywood. 8/10
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41247 on: December 31, 2015, 12:41:09 pm »
Great film but mad max 2 was better Mel Gibson is max

I haven't watched the original Mad Max for years if I remember rightly wasn't Mel Gibson dubbed over for the UK/USA release?  they were worried that people won't understand what he was saying.

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline 24/7

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Guru Jim
« Reply #41248 on: December 31, 2015, 12:48:26 pm »
Watched "Under The Skin" last night - what the merry fuck was that all about?! Apart from the obvious attraction of seeing Scarlett Johansson naked, of course......... :o :-X

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41249 on: December 31, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »
Loved Anomalisa ...a quite remarkable look at depression, isolation, midlife existential futility, love, hope and the mundanity of human existence - and all done via stop-motion animation!  8) ....another gem from Charlie Kaufman..the most imaginative screenwriter in Hollywood. 8/10

Thats on my watch list for later on, with The Big short again.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #41250 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:27 pm »
Knight of Cups 2015 1080p H264 AC3-EVO
That's not anoter one of your "cup" films is it Dave? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41251 on: December 31, 2015, 01:15:23 pm »
That's not anoter one of your "cup" films is it Dave? :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Malick that,la...I wouldn't "shit" you brother. ;D ;D

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41252 on: December 31, 2015, 01:18:28 pm »
Malick that,la...I wouldn't "shit" you brother. ;D ;D
Given that it's Portman I was kinda hoping that it was one of those films......

A Malick existential masterpiece comes a close second though lol ;D ;D ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41253 on: December 31, 2015, 01:20:40 pm »
Given that it's Portman I was kinda hoping that it was one of those films......

A Malick existential masterpiece comes a close second though lol ;D ;D ;D
You do recall the last time you and I "chatted" about Portman we both ended up getting muted for chatting bollocks in the Tablets thread..... ;D

Offline Mad Max

• Propa bad Wool. tried it just for once found it all right for kicks. but now you found out that it's a habit that sticks.
  • Boys Pen
« Reply #41254 on: December 31, 2015, 01:22:38 pm »
Have you watched any of the White Collar Hooligan films?

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41255 on: December 31, 2015, 01:23:05 pm »
You do recall the last time you and I "chatted" about Portman we both ended up getting muted for chatting bollocks in the Tablets thread..... ;D
Ha ha holy fuck, yes I do! Good times lol!

One up man ship taken to a whole new level ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41256 on: December 31, 2015, 01:44:58 pm »
Ha ha holy fuck, yes I do! Good times lol!

One up man ship taken to a whole new level ;D ;D ;D ;D
Worra pair of dopes!!  ;D

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41257 on: December 31, 2015, 01:48:44 pm »
On a film related note....

I watched Burnt last night and thought it was excellent. Easy viewing, decent script, the visuals (food wise) were a treat as were a few of the sets. A touch predictable but defo worth a watch.

As an aside, how fucking blue are Cooper's eyes? Surely to fuck they're contacts, implants, cgi or summit?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 02:01:07 pm by Tinsely Camarismassy »

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41258 on: December 31, 2015, 02:32:43 pm »
On a film related note....

I watched Burnt last night and thought it was excellent. Easy viewing, decent script, the visuals (food wise) were a treat as were a few of the sets. A touch predictable but defo worth a watch.

As an aside, how fucking blue are Cooper's eyes? Surely to fuck they're contacts, implants, cgi or summit?
You like films based around cooking don't you....have you ever seen Babettes Feast? For me, it's the best foodie film. It's a really nice film.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #41259 on: December 31, 2015, 02:41:19 pm »
Saw Rage yesterday with Nicholas Cage.

Awful. Just. Awful.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41260 on: December 31, 2015, 02:44:08 pm »
You like films based around cooking don't you....have you ever seen Babettes Feast? For me, it's the best foodie film. It's a really nice film.
Dunno, they tend to just be easy viewing and now and again that's what's required. That said I enjoyed Chef, quite possibly for the Croque-monsieur alone!

When you rec a film can you make sure it's from this century buddy lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41261 on: December 31, 2015, 02:51:16 pm »
Dunno, they tend to just be easy viewing and now and again that's what's required. That said I enjoyed Chef, quite possibly for the Croque-monsieur alone!

When you rec a film can you make sure it's from this century buddy lol ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave
:o

Where does the time go....I went the cinema to see that when it came out-I didn't realise it was that old. It's a beautiful film. I have it on the Criterion restoration release somewhere, I'll have to dig it out for a re-watch.

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #41262 on: December 31, 2015, 03:13:33 pm »
I just watched "Bridge of Spies." It was good and everything, but ...

Spoiler
That bit at the end, where the lady on the train who had frowned at him earlier now smiles because he has secured the release of Powers, is the perfect cheese-coated Spielberg schmaltz. I can't watch one of his films without rolling my eyes at least 100 times. He's been famous for so long that he has lost touch with humanity - the same thing has happened to Stephen King, and Tom Cruise, and many others. Their "people" are just a touch more real than ciphers. They all need to be making android movies/books, it would suit them better.
[close]
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #41263 on: December 31, 2015, 04:00:18 pm »

Do you like cannibal films?
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41264 on: December 31, 2015, 04:43:03 pm »
Haha not a genre I'd look for, have you scene Green Inferno? :-X

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41265 on: December 31, 2015, 08:12:15 pm »
The Big Short "And then they blamed emigrants and poor people" My film of the year.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41266 on: December 31, 2015, 08:13:58 pm »
Who doesn't.....yum yum.
Haha not a genre I'd look for, have you scene Green Inferno? :-X
That's coz yer a big scaredy-cat. ;D

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41267 on: December 31, 2015, 08:21:03 pm »
Who doesn't.....yum yum. That's coz yer a big scaredy-cat. ;D

That has given me a flashback to the early 80's and video nasties and being scared by cannibal holocaust watched it just because it was a video nasty and you could get it under the counter from the local video shop.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41268 on: December 31, 2015, 08:49:04 pm »
That has given me a flashback to the early 80's and video nasties and being scared by cannibal holocaust watched it just because it was a video nasty and you could get it under the counter from the local video shop.
;D

I gave my VHS collection to the central library in Liverpool a couple of years back and they took everything without a qualm-stuff from Italy....Cannibal Apocalypse-Cannibal Ferox-New York Ripper-Cannibal Holocaust.. a brilliant found footage film,that was the inspiration behind Roth's Green Inferno film.

They also took S.S. Hell Camp-which I think is still banned. ;D  I know..I'm a sick cat. ;D

Offline stara

• ra-boom-de-ay. RAWK's very own Dicktionary Corner.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41269 on: December 31, 2015, 08:50:12 pm »
The Big Short "And then they blamed emigrants and poor people" My film of the year.

I concur.
50+1. Real FFP rules. Now.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41270 on: December 31, 2015, 09:01:13 pm »
;D

I gave my VHS collection to the central library in Liverpool a couple of years back and they took everything without a qualm-stuff from Italy....Cannibal Apocalypse-Cannibal Ferox-New York Ripper-Cannibal Holocaust.. a brilliant found footage film,that was the inspiration behind Roth's Green Inferno film.

They also took S.S. Hell Camp-which I think is still banned. ;D  I know..I'm a sick cat. ;D

Stop it SS. Hell Camp

Now you can rent it on Youtube.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/2D_yZLjkhrs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/2D_yZLjkhrs</a>

And of course lets not forget Driller Killer.

It was shocking because of its poster that even now I won't post.

With the tagline "The Blood Runs In Rivers... And The Drill Keeps Tearing Through Flesh And Bone"

And a budget of $20,000

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/f0DA5Phau28" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/f0DA5Phau28</a>
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 09:20:06 pm by Trada »

Online red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41271 on: January 1, 2016, 02:01:37 am »
Watched "The World of Kanako" last night. It's like a ... Japanese horror mystery revenge teen romance erotica psychodrama violence mishmash. Or something. Way, way out there, but unlike some of the gonzo stuff I have seen lately (like "Yakuza Apocalypse"), it had control of itself and a solid structure. One of the best films I've seen in quite a while, but not for the faint of heart.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41272 on: January 1, 2016, 03:18:09 am »
Anomalisa

Definitely worth a watch. The stop-motion animation was excellent too.

Online red mongoose

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41273 on: January 1, 2016, 05:23:24 pm »
Has anyone else seen the Japanese "Love Exposure"? Nearly four hours long, defies classification, moves from one genre to the next to the next ... and I loved every minute of it. I might be losing my mind  ::)

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #41274 on: January 1, 2016, 05:35:07 pm »
Has anyone else seen the Japanese "Love Exposure"? Nearly four hours long, defies classification, moves from one genre to the next to the next ... and I loved every minute of it. I might be losing my mind  ::)

Just checked out the  Trailer it looks different stuck into my favorites on Primewire will watch it sometime when I have a spare 4 hours.

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #41275 on: January 1, 2016, 06:55:47 pm »

Haha! Thought it was just me who'd seen it. Saw it a few years back. Absolutely hatstand film. Loved it, but it is completely bananas. Having said that, I'm not sure I'd re-watch it.

Re: The World of Kanako, thanks for the tip. Will keep a look out for it.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline saoirse08

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • TRUTH. JUSTICE. ACCOUNTABILITY.
« Reply #41276 on: January 1, 2016, 07:03:15 pm »

Saw it yesterday. Really good film. Cleverly explains the roots of the recent (on going?) financial crisis in understandable terms too. Good performances all round, especially by Steve Carell who I thought was great. Really growing as an actor. He was brilliant in Foxcatcher. Just ordered the book too.
“The socialism I believe in is everyone working for each other, everyone having a share of the rewards. It’s the way I see football, the way I see life.”

"The old is dying and the new cannot be born; in this interregnum a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #41277 on: January 1, 2016, 07:17:26 pm »
Just watched Burnt. Really enjoyed it be honest. Cooper was decent
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41278 on: January 1, 2016, 11:24:55 pm »
So Hateful Eight was pretty shite, I thought. It could have saved itself had the first act of the film (which lasted about an hour and a half) had not been so tedious; and the final 3rd of the film actually making up the majority of the run time. Even then it's basically just the level of, by now, trademark violence involved that keeps it moderately entertaining. Tarantino's masterpiece? No. That was Pulp Fiction.

The Revenant, again, suffered the same problems as The Hateful Eight did in that it was just a long-winded borefest for the sake of being long. At least an hour of it could, and should, have been left on the editing room floor, and the film itself would have benefited greatly from it. If DiCaprio is hunting an Oscar with this performance, he's not going to find it here. Hardy upstages him with every line he speaks, and I don't think he's even trying.

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #41279 on: January 1, 2016, 11:44:31 pm »
I thought Christian Bale was really good in The Big Short, didn't have a larger part as Steve Carell but he really becomes the character, a proper chameleon.
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★