Author Topic: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)  (Read 524781 times)

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Re: Joël Matip (Job Joël André Matip)
« Reply #4880 on: December 8, 2023, 11:50:45 am »
Ta, just had a listen.   Does sound like he thinks it's the right thing to do, but it's out of his hands.  And I'm fine with that, I don't think we should be giving him an extension.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4881 on: December 8, 2023, 11:54:43 am »
I'd be happy to give him another year personally so long as it doesn't prevent us signing another centre half in the summer.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4882 on: December 8, 2023, 11:56:07 am »
I agree.

My feeling is even without this latest long term injury the club would have moved him on and wished him all the best even if Klopp wanted otherwise. I love him but we shouldn't be offering a new deal now. If you could guarantee he'd be an injury free member of the squad I'd actually be for it, same with Thiago, you just can't though can you. Especially with other injury prone centre halves.

A starting quality central defender with experience is needed in January. Someone in the Konate/Gomez age range around their mid 20s. I'd like to think we're working on something now, the midfield will be fine for the time being.

Im not sure about that his form is up their with anyone in the league and if he carried on we'd likely offer him a new deal, whether he'd have accepted is another matter.

The ACL injury now puts a new deal in doubt as he may not even be fit for start of next season and we cant take that risk.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4883 on: December 8, 2023, 11:58:13 am »
Im not sure about that his form is up their with anyone in the league and if he carried on we'd likely offer him a new deal, whether he'd have accepted is another matter.

Is it?  I think he's had a good season so far but he's also had a few dodgy games.  He's not been at the level of Virgil at all.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4884 on: December 8, 2023, 12:07:10 pm »
Klopp's biggest weakness - if it can be called such - is he is overly loyal to players who have proved their worth. Jurgen won't tolerate the feckless or a bad attitude, but if you show him you will run through brick walls for the club, then he'll stick by you through thick and thin.

However, Fabinho and Henderson are the red flags when it comes to that attitude. With Ox, it was more a hope he would get back on track, but he never did. With Joel, his injury record speaks for itself.

I'd love him to stick around, but it would have to be a comparatively frugal contract. We can't afford the luxury, no matter how good some players are when they are fit. As I said, a pay as you play might be fair, but a lot would depend on his recovery schedule. Personally, I don't think FSG would go for it after what happened last summer.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4885 on: December 8, 2023, 12:10:24 pm »
It'd be mad to offer him a new deal to be honest. 33 in the summer, a serious knee injury for a player who's always been injury prone. Crucially a non-HG spot too which we've allowed to become a problem (if he was HG maybe), Virg a similar age as well.

We need a younger replacement and we need the non-HG spot.

If you keep him it's likely another Thiago scenario where you're paying him not to play and it puts pressure on the other players who are then overburdened. It takes a long time to get your level and sharpness back after an ACL as well.

It'd be sad if that's his last game but hopefully he can make the matchday squad for the last home game at least and if not then he still gets a boss sendoff.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2023, 12:18:20 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #4886 on: December 8, 2023, 12:11:03 pm »

The ACL injury now puts a new deal in doubt as he may not even be fit for start of next season and we cant take that risk.

It is, but I think the club have learned a lesson now holding on to players, knowing Klopp's loyalty across multiple clubs too.

Personally, I don't think they'd have offered a new deal but who's to say. If he wasn't 33 soon alongside two other equally injury prone centre halves I'd be all for it.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4887 on: December 8, 2023, 12:14:26 pm »
Is it?  I think he's had a good season so far but he's also had a few dodgy games.  He's not been at the level of Virgil at all.

Yes I think it is players all have off games.

Had excellent games against Newcastle/Spurs away with 9/10 men and was superb against City too.

Virgil is Virgil he is the best in the league when on form we all know that and Matip is not far off him this season imo.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4888 on: December 8, 2023, 12:18:28 pm »
It is, but I think the club have learned a lesson now holding on to players, knowing Klopp's loyalty across multiple clubs too.

Personally, I don't think they'd have offered a new deal but who's to say. If he wasn't 33 soon alongside two other equally injury prone centre halves I'd be all for it.

I think the injury will make the decision easier for the club.

He isnt 33 till next season though and its not old for a CB he doesnt rely on pace either which helps.

Good luck to Joel whatever happens just hope he doesnt join another PL club.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4889 on: December 8, 2023, 12:34:12 pm »
Ta, just had a listen.   Does sound like he thinks it's the right thing to do, but it's out of his hands.  And I'm fine with that, I don't think we should be giving him an extension.
It's the least Joel deserves after what he's done for us. Cutting a player off when he has a big injury is not a Liverpool thing.

It doesn't mean he'd be on massive wages and when he recovers we can part ways on good terms.
« Last Edit: December 8, 2023, 12:36:35 pm by MonsLibpool »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4890 on: December 8, 2023, 12:34:25 pm »
It's good to have Klopp as the good cop who wants his players looked after and the club or sporting director who makes the decisions as the bad cop for this kind of thing. I think we'll let him rehab with us and over the summer though but I'd be surprised if he gets any new deal

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4891 on: December 8, 2023, 12:50:51 pm »
surprises me that most all posters agree Klopp is a genius manager who makes excellent decisions almost all of the time about almost everything related to the club .... but resent his position on giving contracts to loyal players as if they've just been appointed LFC CFO.

if the club extend Joel, that's fine with me. 

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4892 on: December 8, 2023, 01:00:12 pm »
surprises me that most all posters agree Klopp is a genius manager who makes excellent decisions almost all of the time about almost everything related to the club .... but resent his position on giving contracts to loyal players as if they've just been appointed LFC CFO.

Shiny new toy/s!!!!

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4893 on: December 8, 2023, 01:56:36 pm »

We renewed Ox when he was injured and then we couldn't offload him.  Klopp wanted to renew Firmino, a player who can't buy a goal in a garbage league and who was picking up injuries more frequently.  Klopp also pushed to renew Gini's contract, and what's he done since he left?  Same with Henderson, Klopp went to bat for him when he wanted to renew and it's only thanks to the Saudi league that we managed to move him on with his bumper contract.

He's a brilliant man and a brilliant manager, but he just has a lack of ruthlessness with these things.  It's not a bad character trait at all, and it absolutely helps with the togetherness of the squad, but I'm glad that the money men are sometimes there to overrule him on this kind of thing.

Like another poster said, FSG playing bad cop to Klopp's good cop is a nice little dynamic.

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4894 on: December 8, 2023, 01:58:27 pm »

I'd prefer if he didn't get a new contract, but I won't lose any sleep if he does.
He's made an average of 18.5 league appearances per season (inlcuding this one as it doesn't look like he'll play again). In the last 5 seasons he's played 9, 10, 31, 14, 10 games.
I don't think anyone could argue the club has been as loyal to him as he has the club.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4895 on: December 8, 2023, 02:15:16 pm »
We renewed Ox when he was injured and then we couldn't offload him.  Klopp wanted to renew Firmino, a player who can't buy a goal in a garbage league and who was picking up injuries more frequently.  Klopp also pushed to renew Gini's contract, and what's he done since he left?  Same with Henderson, Klopp went to bat for him when he wanted to renew and it's only thanks to the Saudi league that we managed to move him on with his bumper contract.

He's a brilliant man and a brilliant manager, but he just has a lack of ruthlessness with these things.  It's not a bad character trait at all, and it absolutely helps with the togetherness of the squad, but I'm glad that the money men are sometimes there to overrule him on this kind of thing.

Like another poster said, FSG playing bad cop to Klopp's good cop is a nice little dynamic.

I think Matip is different because judging by Klopp's comments, he's not saying given him a new contract so that he can still play for Liverpool and be part of the squad. It's more that we should do right (show our class) by him by ensuring he still gets a salary whilst injured as well as access to our medical and rehab services etc.

What that means is that it ultimately won't prevent us from signing a replacement as he won't need to be registered in the squad, and I'd imagine he'd be given a significant pay cut - although if by next year he has recovered and can then offer us something, great! 

It would also send out a good message to current and future players - stay loyal to us and we will do likewise to you.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4896 on: December 8, 2023, 02:16:50 pm »
Very much doubt Matip will get a new contract. Maybe a short one to allow him to get fit again and not release him injured. Klopp has been overruled on these things previously and probably will again.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4897 on: December 8, 2023, 02:18:23 pm »
I think Matip is different because judging by Klopp's comments, he's not saying given him a new contract so that he can still play for Liverpool and be part of the squad. It's more that we should do right (show our class) by him by ensuring he still gets a salary whilst injured as well as access to our medical and rehab services etc.

What that means is that it ultimately won't prevent us from signing a replacement as he won't need to be registered in the squad, and I'd imagine he'd be given a significant pay cut - although if by next year he has recovered and can then offer us something, great! 

It would also send out a good message to current and future players - stay loyal to us and we will do likewise to you.

I mean, we're going to pay him his wages until his contract is up in June or whenever anyway, which is when he'll be close to returning?

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4898 on: December 8, 2023, 05:02:52 pm »
I think people are misunderstanding- it wouldn't be a new 4-5 year deal.

It would be a low 12 month deal.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4899 on: December 9, 2023, 10:24:18 am »

No one resents anything they just want the team to do well
Probably most people think he’s a very empathetic person especially to his players and that most of the time that’s a strength but it’s also a weakness when it comes to letting players go … that’s why he has a structure round him and above him

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #4900 on: December 9, 2023, 10:40:28 am »
I think people are misunderstanding- it wouldn't be a new 4-5 year deal.

It would be a low 12 month deal.

It'd be great for all parties involved to be fair, as long as we bring in a new centre back. That way, Joel who is world class on can come back in slowly and be great back up assuming no issues with his rehab.

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4901 on: December 9, 2023, 11:06:39 am »
Love Matip, he’s been such an exceptional signing I dont think it will be fully recognised till years after he goes.

I can see both sides. Absolutely gutted for him and i’ve loved having him here, if he can get back to even close to the same level he’s an amazing player to have in your side. On the oppoising side he’s already been prone to injuries and ACLs can be hard to come back from, speaking from personal experience you never feel the same after and it’s very easy to get injured again after. We aren’t the most flush with cash so have to spend a bit more wisely than other sides so I get peoples clamour to save where we can especially when there’s risk involved

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4902 on: December 9, 2023, 11:12:43 am »
Love Matip, he’s been such an exceptional signing I dont think it will be fully recognised till years after he goes.

I can see both sides. Absolutely gutted for him and i’ve loved having him here, if he can get back to even close to the same level he’s an amazing player to have in your side. On the oppoising side he’s already been prone to injuries and ACLs can be hard to come back from, speaking from personal experience you never feel the same after and it’s very easy to get injured again after. We aren’t the most flush with cash so have to spend a bit more wisely than other sides so I get peoples clamour to save where we can especially when there’s risk involved

The point is we could just offer him one more year, just to enable him to recover fully from his injury, we then have enough time to put Quansah or whoever in and he can leave the season after on a free. He may decide to retire anyway, but it would seem savage to push someone out whose been a great servant to the club having picked up an injury like this one.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Studgotelli

• they have zero understanding of what I’m actually talking about. Got a GCSE in Economics and thinks he knows everything.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4903 on: December 9, 2023, 11:48:04 am »
You guys are insane, you want us to sell every player who’s 30+ and replace with someone young, we need experience and a strong squad for a season to challenge on all fronts and there’s no reason why he couldn’t stay another year. 

Fucking hell.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4904 on: December 9, 2023, 11:49:30 am »
You guys are insane, you want us to sell every player who’s 30+ and replace with someone young, we need experience and a strong squad for a season to challenge on all fronts and there’s no reason why he couldn’t stay another year. 

Fucking hell.

It's not just nuts but also classless.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4905 on: December 9, 2023, 11:51:31 am »
The point is we could just offer him one more year, just to enable him to recover fully from his injury, we then have enough time to put Quansah or whoever in and he can leave the season after on a free. He may decide to retire anyway, but it would seem savage to push someone out whose been a great servant to the club having picked up an injury like this one.

Yeah I fully get that, it’s not something I don’t understand. I think people who are unsures point is, that’s a year of wages that could go on someone else or towards a transfer fee for a new player

It’s not really pushing him out, his contract expiring not being terminated. The whole midfield situation has naturally slightly changed peoples views on new contracts for aging and/or injury prone players.

As I said I can see both sides, not saying any one side is right or wrong.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
« Reply #4906 on: December 9, 2023, 11:55:05 am »
I hope he is offered another year. His form has been really good. People were writing him off at the back end of last season. He may be the type who can go for longer than expected of his age. Obviously the acl will not help but we will be involved in all the cups again so his experience will be vital.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.