Author Topic: Liverpool vs Southampton (FA Cup Fifth Round) - 20:00, Wednesday 28th February  (Read 20583 times)

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
Liverpool vs Southampton

20:00, Wednesday 28th February
Anfield, Liverpool
FA Cup Fifth Round
Referee: Craig Pawson

Fresh from lifting the English Football League Cup following their extra-time victory over Chelsea on Sunday, Liverpool host Southampton at Anfield in Wednesday evening in the fifth round of the 2023-24 FA Cup. Jurgen Klopp’s Reds gave been in excellent form of late, with just a league defeat away to Arsenal amidst a strong run on Premier League wins, and arrive in the fifth round of the FA Cup after victories away to Arsenal & home to Norwich City. Their visiting promotion-hopefuls are going through a tricky run, having lost three of their last four Championship fixtures after dropping points via six draws in their previously twenty-two matches – the Saints arrive in the fifth found of the back of a third-round victory over Walsall and a 3-0 replay win over Watford.

Liverpool and Southampton have been drawn together in the FA Cup on eight previous occasions (with two of these requiring replays), with the last meeting also being a fifth round tie at Anfield – the hosts won 3-0, courtesy of goals from Ian Rush, Peter Beardsley, and Steve Nicol, before ultimately being beaten 4-3 in a Villa Park semi-final by Crystal Palace. The Reds are eight-time winners of the FA Cup, last lifting the trophy in 2022, whilst the Saints won their one FA Cup in 1976 and most-recently reached the final in 2003. Southampton last visited Anfield in November 2022, falling to a 3-1 defeat in Nathan Jones’ first match in charge, whilst the sides’ last meeting was on the final day of the 2023-24 season – with league matters already settled (Liverpool falling short of European Cup qualification and Southampton’s relegation already confirmed), the sides played out an entertaining 4-4 draw.

After a very difficult period following their relegation from the Premier League in 2005, which included spending 2009-10 & 2010-11 League One, and eleven-year stay in the top flight from 2012-13 can be viewed positively from a Southampton perspective. Their first five seasons, in particular, were very successful – they enjoyed a relatively good showing on their return, finishing 14th, before four successive top-half finishes under Mauritio Pochettino, Ronald Koeman, and Claude Puel. The Saints rather lost their way from 2017-18 onwards, however – they showed occasional promise under Ralph Hasenhuttl, but eventually fell apart during a dreadful 2022-23 season in which they and say bottom of the table through more than half the season before their inevitable relegation.

Following their miserable campaign last season – and managerial uncertainly through spells with Hasenhuttl, Jones, & Ruben Selles at the helm – the appointment of former Wycombe Wanderers and Norwich defender, Russell Martin, as manager looked like a reasonably shrewd move. A former Scotland international, the young manager had shown promise during short spells with MK Dons & Swansea City. Martin’s Saints started the season well, but fell to four successive defeats in September that threatened to end their promotion hopes before their campaign had really got going. Southampton were excellent through autumn & much of winter, however, going unbeaten and dropping just twelve points in twenty-two league matches, whilst also progressing to the fifth round of the FA Cup. Their form during the last couple of weeks has dropped off poorly, however, with defeats away to Bristol City and away to Hull City & Millwall seeing them lose touch with fellow promotion candidates Leeds United & Ipswich Town.

Contextual factors mean that neither Liverpool nor their visitors will identify the FA Cup a priority for the remainder of the season, with title- & promotion-challenges taking precedent, respectively, but both will see opportunity in this midweek fixture. For Russell Martin’s Southampton, a cup tie under the Anfield lights could be considered as freeing from the pressure that recent form has put upon them in the league – there’s minimal expectancy on them for the match, and so a positive performance against the Premier League leaders could be just the tonic. Jurgen Klopp has seen his squad depleted of senior players during recent weeks, but the excellent performances of Liverpool’s crop of talented youngsters – not least in Sunday’s League Cup Final success – has transformed the shape of the squad in the eyes of supporters. Jarrell Quansah & Conor Bradley seem – like Caoimhin Kelleher before them – to have quickly established themselves as key squad players, and they & Bobby Clark can all be expected to start on Wednesday night. James McConnell & Jayden Danns have also already had a taste of – and contributed to – success with Liverpool, and both will hope to feature against Southampton, as the Reds seek to progress a memorable final few months of Jurgen Klopp’s time in charge of the club.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:37:36 pm by jackh »

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
We'll obviously be fielding a fairly weak team but it'll be interesting to see how seriously Southampton take this too with their promotion push.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Cheers Jack. Saints have had a wobble recently, as said they may rotate a few too.

If anyone gets our starting eleven spot on they’ll have done very well. Even at keeper, I’d play Kelleher but I guess there’s a chance Adrian could get a very rare start. But I’ll guess

Kelleher
Tsimikas
Quansah
Gomez
Bradley
McConnell
Clark
Koumas

At this point I’ve given up! Is Gordon available? Real shame for Doak to be injured at this time. Wouldn’t be against Darwin and Mo sharing 90 if they’re fit. Danns will probably start but then who else? Surely Diaz won’t feature. Gakpo might I guess. Really hard to say!

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
given the match kicks off 8.00 pm wednesday gives players extra time to recover

macca and elliot could play 45 mins each

i am guessing that jurgen will wait until late on wednesday before working out the lineup

will be interesting to see what jurgen says about dom , mo and darwin in the press conference

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Think you can rule out anyone who went the duration on Sunday. So that’s Virgil, Endo, Diaz and Elliott. Kelleher too obviously but I’m sure he’d be capable of playing again, he may give Adrian the game though. Konate did 105 mins so probably should be left out too. There may be an argument to involve Elliott given he’s probably the only one of that bunch who won’t be down to start at Forest.

Biggest question mark for me is Salah, Darwin and Szoboszlai. I presume all could play some part, given it was apparently a late call yesterday. There’s an argument to leave them out completely but we know how much Klopp favours rhythm and there might be the chance to start a couple of them knowing you can take them off at half time.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 10:49:50 pm by Barefoot Doctor »

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Kelleher
?   Quansah   Gomez   Tsimikas
McConnell   Clark   ?
Gordon   Danns   Gakpo

Not sure who takes the right back/third CM spot, but I'm guessing Gomez might play right back so the unknown one could be the centre half. Kelleher should continue, no reason to take him out, especially on a high. There'll be a lot of excitement around the ground to see some of these players after Sunday. Would love a first goal for Danns or really any of the youngsters. Salah and Nunez on the bench would be really nice. If the international break was after Forest I'd go stronger too. Keep the bench strong.

Perhaps a couple of the young lads could play themselves into contention for the game in Prague, though we'll hopefully have some more experienced players back by then too. I don't want to say the result is secondary or anything, it never will be at Liverpool, but it could be a hard one to win and it's understandable like. If the more experienced heads guide them through again we'll definitely have enough to beat them considering Southampton probably make changes too. Could end up being another really proud day for the academy.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
Am I right in saying this has to be settled on the night, no replay? Would it go to extra time or straight to pens?

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
Barring the keeper, I'd prefer to rest anyone who played the full 120 on Sunday (+Ibou)

In midfield, I'd like some experience alongside McConnell and Clark, so I'd start Mac alongside them with the hope of subbing him around 60-70 mins. Gakpo came off before extra time, so I'd start him too. The rest depends on the fitness of Mo, Dom & Darwin. Although looking at those celebrations, Dom & Darwin are perfectly fine! ;D If they can get some minutes in their legs, that would be great. Otherwise, Danns starts up front with Gakpo, and maybe we have to play Elliot and Diaz for a half each.

It wouldn't surprise me if Virg pushed to play, the man barely broke a sweat. ;D

Now we just have to wait and see what Klopp says in his press conference and on who gets through training tomorrow.

Online Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher
McConnell   Clark   ?
Gordon   Danns   Gakpo
I'm thinking Mabaya for right back, Koumas for the last spot if they're both fit. Really interested to see how the kids do pretty much on their own against a strong (for Championship level) Southampton side.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher
McConnell   Clark   ?
Gordon   Danns   Gakpo

Not sure who takes the right back/third CM spot, but I'm guessing Gomez might play right back so the unknown one could be the centre half. Kelleher should continue, no reason to take him out, especially on a high. There'll be a lot of excitement around the ground to see some of these players after Sunday. Would love a first goal for Danns or really any of the youngsters. Salah and Nunez on the bench would be really nice. If the international break was after Forest I'd go stronger too. Keep the bench strong.

Perhaps a couple of the young lads could play themselves into contention for the game in Prague, though we'll hopefully have some more experienced players back by then too. I don't want to say the result is secondary or anything, it never will be at Liverpool, but it could be a hard one to win and it's understandable like. If the more experienced heads guide them through again we'll definitely have enough to beat them considering Southampton probably make changes too. Could end up being another really proud day for the academy.
Bradley came off on 72 mins, so he should be fit to start at rb. Mac came off on 87 mins, so should be able to start. Is Gordon fit? He wasn't on the bench yesterday.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Craig Pawson. Fuck me. Bye for Southampton. Putting £1,000 on them to win.

Bent as fuck.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline nerdster4

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
Imagine if Luton beat city

Even if they don’t , this trophy is very winnable .

That was the whole point of beating Arsenal

Kelleher
Gomez konate qansah Robertson

Mac McConnell Clark

Bradley Gakpo tsimikas

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan
Whatever team we put out will be stronger than Southampton’s.  We are at home, on the back of a Wembley triumph and will have 54000 home fans backing us.   Expect a vibrant atmosphere which will carry us through.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 11:16:23 am by andy07 »
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline andy07

• Shat himself
  • Legacy Fan

Kelleher

Mac McConnell Clark

Bradley Gakpo tsimikas

Luton 9/1, worth a tenner.
We are Loyal Supporters

Offline phil236849

• loves a Kwenchy Kup
  • Legacy Fan
  • Across the face of the goal
I'm thinking Mabaya for right back, Koumas for the last spot if they're both fit. Really interested to see how the kids do pretty much on their own against a strong (for Championship level) Southampton side.

Mabaya makes Bajcetic look ever present sadly

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Bradley came off on 72 mins, so he should be fit to start at rb. Mac came off on 87 mins, so should be able to start. Is Gordon fit? He wasn't on the bench yesterday.

Klopp mentioned Gordon in passing in one of his post match interviews yesterday - sounded to me like he just didn’t make the squad rather than being injured. But not sure as you’d think he’d have made the bench given our lack of attacking options and his relative experience compared to Nyoni or Koumas. He was on the bench for Luton so if it’s an injury it’s a new one.

Offline terry_macss_perm

• looking to be flogged
  • Kopite
Mabaya makes Bajcetic look ever present sadly

Seems like a while since he’s been fit for the 21s.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
Anyone who is in line to start at the weekend should not be starting this game imo. We can't afford more injuries and this should be the lowest priority competition of the remaining ones.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistant referees: Adam Nunn & Steven Meredith
Fourth official: Rebecca Welch
VAR: Tony Harrington
Support VAR: Stuart Attwell
Assistant VAR: Stuart Burt
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Play anyone that can walk.

Offline beardsley4ever

• Legacy Fan
Where is Salah in his injury recovery?  Or Nunez?  Any chance of either getting 30 minutes at the end to be ready for the weekend?  Or are they still further away than that?

Offline Jacob Ian

• Kopite
Jay Spearing is lining up for this one isn't he?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 01:33:59 am by Jacob Ian »

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher
Bradley Gomez Quansah Tsmikas
McConnell Clark _____
____ Danns Gakpo

Offline Magix

• Partial to Tarts
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just 5 points away
Even with a very weakened lineup made up of the Carabao children, they will still be made up of the best available players, and will still be sent out to win. No doubt that will be instilled in them. Confident and buzzin' for the game.

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Kelleher
Bradley Gomez Quansah Tsmikas
McConnell Clark _____
____ Danns Gakpo

I think this is right. My guess is Macca for the third midfield spot considering he played just shy of 90 mins on Sunday. But Macca won't play the full 90 so I don't know who comes on for him. Maybe Endo for 20? Seems risky considering Endo ran himself into the ground. Maybe a tactical switch to a two central midfield - who knows? Dom comes on maybe if he's fit?

No idea who's going to play the left attacker. Salah won't start - might do twenty if he's better. Definitely no Elliot. One of the kids. I would've said Gordon but he wasn't even in the matchday squad so that doesn't bode well. Maybe some from U10 at this rate :P

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
Strap up the walking wounded. We go again.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
Dont play the kids. Let the marketing team have a game.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
Dont play the kids. Let the marketing team have a game.
bollocks idea.  the cafeteria staff need minutes.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
If Nunez, Mo or Dom are available then do we play them to get minutes in legs ?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Surprised to see so many shouts for Kelleher, does nobody else think Adrian will get the nod? I’m paranoid re injuries at the moment but Kelleher picking up a knock would be less than ideal.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
Second those playing in the legends game.Jon done.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
what time is the pre-game press thing?  does Jurgen handle these, or Pep?

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Surprised to see so many shouts for Kelleher, does nobody else think Adrian will get the nod? I’m paranoid re injuries at the moment but Kelleher picking up a knock would be less than ideal.
Think it makes sense to give Adrian a run out in this as well.

My view on this is we shouldn't risk any of the 12/13 senior players left except Tsimikas, Quansah and I guess Adrian counts in that group.

Wonder if Gordon is fit for this, guessing not if he didn't make the bench Sunday. So maybe Kone-Doherty gets a start. Scanlon I assume gets minutes/bench. Centre back options to step up are a bit sparse. The u21 regulars are Dallo and Pinnington who are both first year u18s so it'd be a massive ask. Maybe Miles gets in as an option across the defence.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
I actually think Nunez, Salah, and Dom may get minutes in this game for rhythm if they are close rather than just fl8nging them in against Forest.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'

Kelleher

Mac McConnell Clark

Bradley Gakpo tsimikas

Not for me, I'd be resting Konate and Mac Allister for sure.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
I actually think Nunez, Salah, and Dom may get minutes in this game for rhythm if they are close rather than just fl8nging them in against Forest.
me too.

Dom had arguments with the physios about his ability to start on Sunday, they overruled him.  so I think he'll deffo play some part - thank god coz we need him in midfield.

of the 3 I'd say Mo might be the least likely to get on the pitch.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
I suppose it will be a discussion of who is in red zone of current squad and if any of Mo, Nunez and Dom are ready and can build rhythm ahead of Forest. The likes of Konate, Endo and VVD should be fully rested.

Forest have United tomorrow so that’s a bonus as that could be a tough match.

We have three matches in three competitions before City so squad management will be key. Progression here means we are two games from another Final plus the Everton game moves.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 07:51:13 am by Nick110581 »
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
Think it makes sense to give Adrian a run out in this as well.

My view on this is we shouldn't risk any of the 12/13 senior players left except Tsimikas, Quansah and I guess Adrian counts in that group.

Wonder if Gordon is fit for this, guessing not if he didn't make the bench Sunday. So maybe Kone-Doherty gets a start. Scanlon I assume gets minutes/bench. Centre back options to step up are a bit sparse. The u21 regulars are Dallo and Pinnington who are both first year u18s so it'd be a massive ask. Maybe Miles gets in as an option across the defence.
Yeah, agree with this.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Jwils21

• Justwindy,innit,lowestspeed21 (knots)
  • Legacy Fan
I don’t think the issue is choosing who starts out of Kelleher or Adrian, the issue is choosing which one of them gets a run out in midfield

Offline Dazzer23

• Legacy Fan
If Nunez, Mo or Dom are available then do we play them to get minutes in legs ?

Yeah if they’re available I’d expect them to get some minutes. Nothing anywhere approaching 90 though.