Author Topic: The Dugouts  (Read 14848 times)

Offline Tomcierzo

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The Dugouts
« on: February 23, 2014, 01:30:23 pm »
Probably the wrong place, but its always bugged me, but if they are gonna make a whole bunch of changes to the Main Stand, maybe they could reposition the dugouts closer to the half way line, or either side of it, as they are in just about every other stadium in the world.

Anyone know why they are where they are? I'm guessing its something to do with seat allocations and season ticket holders, but it just seems weird that they are placed there. I asked the bloke doing the tour around anfield why they were there, and he didn't have a clue. Maybe noone else cares, but if you guys don't know the answer, well, then I guess no one knows!

TIA

Paul

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: The Dugouts
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 04:34:25 pm »
Not sure why it matters, they are hardly that far away from it.

My guess is it is to do with where the exit from under the stands come out as the dugouts are immediately to the side of that.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 05:04:13 pm »
I'd hope no major aesthetic changes are made - I've always liked our no-frills setup and it'd spoil it if we suddenly had a load of leather Chevrolet bucket seats in there!

As long as Brendan's got something to put is foot on for a pose, everyone's fine as is!

Offline stueya

• Kopite
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 09:43:19 pm »
Nothing to do with season ticket positions etc, if they wanted to move the dugout they could just swap the seats across, the dugout is just next to the tunnel, simple as that really
We all live in a purple wheelie bin

Offline Big Red Richie

• Thread killer extraordinaire. For future reference the order is T, U, V, W, X, Y, Z
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 10:33:19 pm »
The dugouts are where they are because they're the shortest distance from the tunnel entrance.

The reason the tunnel if not on the half way line is to do with the design of the stand in the 1980s. (which was built on an earlier stand)

I'd presume the tunnel is off centre due to the layout of the rooms and substructure under the stand, from days when the players, and therfore the changing rooms, were deemed not as important as the directors facilities/boardroom, etc.

Remember. We didn't always live in a world where players had the power they do now, and in the past, players were just employee's like everyone else.

The directors held all of the power back then.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 10:36:22 pm by Big Red Richie »

Offline davenorthwales

• RAWK's utilities guru
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:13:07 am »
that would be so weird having the tunnel on the halfway line.. most people are too used to where it is - in the 70's, 80s, 90's... same thing, same place.  all that's changed is the old brick dugout and concrete slab has gone.. wonder where that went to?

think the 1980 paddock enclosure rebuild didn't bother knocking a hole in the red&white wall before they installed the seats... i don't recall any murmurs at the time of relocating it... unless they floated off the cement and after they installed the seats then someone mentioned it  :no
can i have my old name back please?

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:25:44 am »
I think it's a unique quirk that I'd wish to retain if we redevelop the main stand. Being unique is what should separate us from the rest of the generically built stadiums.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline Tomcierzo

• Boys Pen
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:31:31 pm »
for me its less about where the tunnel is, and more about where the dug outs are. Plenty of stadia have a tunnel well away from the dugouts, Old Trafford and The Cottage being obvious examples.

Its always seemed weird to me that the dug outs aren't positioned in the best viewing space for the managers, but off centre. For the home manager, not such a problem, but for the visiting manager, it seems like they are well off the centre of the pitch and get a pretty bad angle to view the game from. Which may very well be the point! :P

But there must be a rule about how far off center you can go, or can you put them behind the goal if you want to?

Aesthetically, it just seems weird, not better or worse, just a weird design choice. As some have said, though, its also unique, and marks us out.

Offline corbyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 10:15:52 pm »
some of the plans do show a remodelled tunnel as it's very cramped at the minute, but the current layout all adds to the character...

Offline annieroader

• Kopite
  • with a liver bird upon my chest
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2014, 08:45:32 pm »
In the early 70s the dressing rooms moves from the middle to where they are now as the Main stand went through a redevelopment, meaning the tunnel moved from the middle to where it is now.
Scouse an proud.
Liverpool fc is my life.
My second home is where i sleep.

Offline Greebo62

• Matchday Project Manager. Amazingly Available! Apply within, ladies.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 06:07:24 pm »
Not really an issue I would imagine, but it does put the away manager's technical area that much further away from the half way line. Makes it harder for him to be able to influence players penned in at the Kop end...  just a thought
Believe...

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2014, 04:26:17 pm »
Not really an issue I would imagine, but it does put the away manager's technical area that much further away from the half way line. Makes it harder for him to be able to influence players penned in at the Kop end...  just a thought

Really interesting idea that. Nothing from stopping us puttin the away technical area by the corner flag is there??

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2014, 11:31:08 pm »
probably one reason for the location of the dug out is, because there is little room between the pitch and the stands,

it seems logical for me that this is for linesmen.  if the dugout was central there is a chance that management would get in the way of him doing his job. the current location gives the official the room to run without chance of anybody getting in the way. 

thos obviously still cant explain the location of the tunnel!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 11:34:24 pm by sharkeyb »
Sir, the cash monies?

Offline sharkeyb

• Would pay to see a Mason's willy, but not more than £35.
  • Legacy Fan
  • He's on the floor
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 06:09:26 am »
just read this on the official site

Is there going to be any change to the players' tunnel?

The players' tunnel would remain in the same position but be rebuilt to twice the current width. The tunnel steps would be replaced with a ramp to improve accessibility, with the iconic "This is Anfield" sign retained. The team benches would be rebuilt and repositioned on the half way line.

Sir, the cash monies?

Offline BigYan

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2014, 03:50:02 pm »
More detail showing proposed new tunnel and dugouts, from document in planning application.

Offline Grand Chilli

• Main Stander
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2014, 09:36:30 pm »
More detail showing proposed new tunnel and dugouts, from document in planning application.
I see there's a dedicated changing room for the mascot! Did we already have that, or was it a vital part of the redevelopment?

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 10:27:43 pm »
A lot of history going with the redevelopment and moving of the dressing rooms.

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 11:44:39 pm »
going off that above drawing the new tunnel will be about 6 to 7 seats wide, anyone know existing size and what the increase will be.

are we likely to see the end of the steps too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 11:46:38 pm by Jonny5 »
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline HBOMB

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:09 am »
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=312200.0;attach=257235;image

Looking at the new position of the away team changing room it will take them a bit longer to get there at halftime, I wonder if this was strategic

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2014, 01:30:28 am »
going off that above drawing the new tunnel will be about 6 to 7 seats wide, anyone know existing size and what the increase will be.

are we likely to see the end of the steps too.

It's doubling in width, or there abouts, and there won't be any steps however the This is Anfield sign will be kept.

Offline BigYan

• Main Stander
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 09:10:29 am »
I see there's a dedicated changing room for the mascot! Did we already have that, or was it a vital part of the redevelopment?

Don't know probably a broom cupboard at the moment, on this note it was the first time I've noticed Mighty Red included in the prematch photo on Sunday.

Online Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2014, 11:19:19 am »
So the home changing room is going bigger...it was always tiny after the increases in subs numbers etc,the away was always massive compared to the home dressing room.

Offline owens_2k

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2014, 09:55:15 pm »
So the home changing room is going bigger...it was always tiny after the increases in subs numbers etc,the away was always massive compared to the home dressing room.
This is intentional. So that the away team feel more distanced from each other but we have the togetherness.

Offline CornerFlag

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2014, 09:48:35 pm »
Does that mean a few seats will disappear to accommodate the larger tunnel?
My Twitter

Last time I went there I saw masturbating chimpanzees. Whether you think that's worthy of £22 is up to you. All I'll say is I now have an annual pass.

Offline Jonny5

• .... . .-.. .-.. ---
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • 97 ynwa 39
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2014, 05:28:58 pm »
Does that mean a few seats will disappear to accommodate the larger tunnel?

i would imagine it would, the dugouts are moving aswell and not sure if there being made bigger.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 05:31:00 pm by Jonny5 »
When you walk through a storm hold your head up high and dont be afraid of the dark

Offline gnaume

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Wow! My subconsciousness is a genius!
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 10:31:46 pm »
interesting to see, cheers for sharing! Looks like the boot room is pretty much the only thing that's being left as/where it is now.