Author Topic: Travelling to games - interesting stories  (Read 1661 times)

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
  • Off the coach, through the park.....
Travelling to games - interesting stories
« on: August 4, 2023, 08:54:26 pm »
Our car broke down. So we hitched in pairs, 4 of us. Night game v West Ham. Ended up running to the ground to make KO. Got in right on KO. 4 minutes in Dean Saunders taps in a rebound from a Redknapp shot. That was it. 1-0.

Last time on The Kop. (edit: standing)

I will always love the lads who gave us a lift along the M62 and East Lancs, from where we were at the end of the M61 where it met the M62.
« Last Edit: August 4, 2023, 08:58:13 pm by Barrow Shaun »
officially accepted RAWK source of information

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
Re: Travelling to games - interesting stories
« Reply #1 on: August 4, 2023, 11:05:48 pm »
67 views but no stories. Depressing.

Ok, another. I went to West ham once - the only time I've been. And I did a bucket from the boot of the car (anyone remember doing a bucket??). Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to the first 20 minutes and so vowed to never do that again, which I haven't.

We drew 0-0, same season as the above ^^^^

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: August 5, 2023, 02:10:11 am »
Pre-season Summer 1980 :

A really gruelling schedule. Train, boat and train to get to the first match against Anderlecht in Brussels. The next fixture was in a suburb of Copenhagen. A friend based in the Army in Germany kindly drove me and another supporter we both knew through the night from Belgium, across Germany and up into Denmark. The match at Hvidovre was only two days after the match in Brussels. Only two days later came the third match on the European mainland in southern Germany against Stuttgart. One of the longest journeys I have ever made by train, almost a full day's travel I think. Watched the match in Stuttgart then straight back overnight by train to the Channel port for a boat back to Kent then train home arriving there less than a week after setting off.

After we had been leading in Brussels Anderlecht equalised to make it 3-3 before being awarded a very cheap penalty-kick by a local referee in the last minute. Arie Haan took it and scored past Ray Clemence. Clem's immediate reaction was to fetch the ball out of his net, walk to the edge of his penalty-area and boot the ball right out of the ground into the street outside. Play was never re-started (they didn't have multiple balls available in those days) and the referee just blew the full-time whistle.

Both the Főrster brothers played for Stuttgart - Karlheinz and Bernhard. I saw a recent video in which Jürgen Klopp mentioned that one of them was one of his favourite players when he was growing up not far away. The brothers, both of whom became full internationals, were together at Stuttgart between 1978 and 1986.

London to Brussels approx. 235 miles, Brussels to Copenhagen approx. 575 miles, Copenhagen to Stuttgart approx. 610 miles, Stuttgart to London approx. 580 miles. Around two thousand miles covered to watch matches on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday (1st, 3rd and 5th of August, 1980).

« Last Edit: August 5, 2023, 02:28:53 am by kriss »

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #3 on: August 5, 2023, 02:36:28 am »
The Newcastle 4-3. … the first one..

Partial eclipse of the moon on the way back home
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline kriss

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 5, 2023, 02:58:07 am »
I saw Liverpool play two matches in Norway during the Summer of 1992.

The first was against Rosenborg Trondheim in Oslo during the Norway Cup week at the end of July. We had also played them at the same stadium a year earlier. The second fixture two days later was over a thousand miles north of Oslo in the city of Tromsø which is inside the Arctic Circle. Lots of Norwegian Liverpool supporter were at Oslo's Fornebu airport to see the team off the morning after the match in the capital and, probably more by luck than judgement, I was on the same flight. It felt like a Millionaire's Special with David Moores, Ian Rush and Graeme Souness all aboard.

On the day of the match really heavy rain prevented the team from morning training on the pitch they were due to play on in the evening. But the host club was determined that the match should go ahead and apart from being generous and hospitable hosts to the few supporters who had travelled a long way to be there worked really hard to make the pitch playable. The rain eased off in the late-afternoon and, rather to my surprise, the match started near enough on time. Paul Stewart, who had scored an own-goal when we lost 1-0 to Rosenborg two days earlier, this time scored in our favour, as did Ian Rush. But there was another own-goal in this match, scored by Mark Wright.

After the match the players were the guests at a small bar about halfway between the stadium and the city-centre. Many of the Norwegians present soon learned that if you ordered in English you would not be charged. Our players had been told to order and re-order in English so the local Liverpool supporters just did exactly the same. I lasted until about 2 a.m. but some of the players didn't leave until about 5 a.m. I was told that Bruce, who I seem to recall had been drinking wine for most of the evening, was the last to stumble down the wooden stairs to make his way back to the team's hotel.

Back at my own hotel it was weird to be able to read by natural light in the early hours of the morning at a time of year when the sun only sets for a few minutes before coming up again. I decided to stay an extra day to explore a bit more of the city before flying back to England via Oslo. 

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #5 on: August 5, 2023, 07:37:32 am »
The ordinary, vans, happy scalls, Barnes, the special. Those who know, know.

Greatest days of my life. Shite now, too sanitised, too vitriolic.

Speak to John C, the C stands for Colonel.

😁
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #6 on: August 5, 2023, 07:55:59 am »
Coach to Chelsea. Broke down on M6 near Stafford. Never got there. Can’t remember how we got home but walking across farmers ploughed fields was involved.

Ordinary to West Brom. When someone realised that it wasn’t stopping in Smethwick, a resourceful soul pulled the cord and about a hundred lads walked down the tracks.

Special to Old Trafford. Rumour got around that we were going to be searched. Lads who were carrying then dropped what they had. Seconds later, I stood on an axe. I kid you not.

These were all in the ‘70s. More recently, I had to travel to Paris for the Champions League final on a 1969 Lambretta scooter. I was due to go to Belgium on the scooter the following week but when I qualified for a ticket in the ballot, it was already ridiculously expensive to book a flight to France or any country nearby.

So, I pulled my ferry crossing forward and rode to Evreux, 25 miles west of Paris. I stayed there for 3 days and travelled by train for the game. 

Online Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #7 on: August 5, 2023, 08:44:26 am »
Forest away late 70's Boxing Day decided to drive rather than special trains. Christmas day my car gets a major mechanical. One of the lads bins it 3 of us decide to get to Nottingham by service trains as the specials were by then booked up.

No buses Boxing Day and no taxi companies answering the phone so start walking from Walton Vale and see first black cab after about 2 miles at Everton Valley.
Train from Lime Street to Crewe. Wait about an hour for connection to Birmingham. Then a couple of pints waiting for train to Derby.

No trains to Nottingham so wait half an hour in a taxi queue and gets to Forest at half time.
It was already 1-1 and that was the final score.
Equally epic journey home. Great days indeed.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #8 on: August 5, 2023, 09:06:15 am »
That did make me laugh, mate.

WTF no one’s responded 😂

Online Cormack Snr

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 5, 2023, 09:56:05 am »

Ok, another. I went to West ham once - the only time I've been. And I did a bucket from the boot of the car (anyone remember doing a bucket??). Anyway, I wasn't paying attention to the first 20 minutes and so vowed to never do that again, which I haven't.

Our car broke down. So we hitched in pairs, 4 of us. Night game v West Ham.

Ok, another. I went to West ham once - the only time I've been.

Are you getting your games mixed up Shaun..

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: August 5, 2023, 10:29:15 am »
Our car broke down. So we hitched in pairs, 4 of us. Night game v West Ham.

Ok, another. I went to West ham once - the only time I've been.

Are you getting your games mixed up Shaun..

Home and away mate, same season. Some great stories coming now........

Offline storkfoot

• Anny Roader
« Reply #11 on: August 5, 2023, 10:30:47 am »
Forest away late 70's Boxing Day decided to drive rather than special trains. Christmas day my car gets a major mechanical. One of the lads bins it 3 of us decide to get to Nottingham by service trains as the specials were by then booked up.

No buses Boxing Day and no taxi companies answering the phone so start walking from Walton Vale and see first black cab after about 2 miles at Everton Valley.
Train from Lime Street to Crewe. Wait about an hour for connection to Birmingham. Then a couple of pints waiting for train to Derby.

No trains to Nottingham so wait half an hour in a taxi queue and gets to Forest at half time.
It was already 1-1 and that was the final score.
Equally epic journey home. Great days indeed.

First season after Forest got promoted. 47000 attendance. We were down the side of the pitch. So many away fans turned up and climbed over the fences into the next pen, they had to keep moving Forest back.  I also remember that Everton played there a week later on New Year’s Day. There was only 44000 there that time.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 5, 2023, 10:50:27 am »
Pre-season Summer 1980 :

......Around two thousand miles covered to watch matches on Friday, Sunday and Tuesday (1st, 3rd and 5th of August, 1980).

Now that is dedication mate. Great read.

Online kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #13 on: August 5, 2023, 12:43:58 pm »
The ordinary, vans, happy scalls, Barnes, the special. Those who know, know.

Greatest days of my life. Shite now, too sanitised, too vitriolic.

Speak to John C, the C stands for Colonel.

😁

The Colonel .   ;D

I've seen a few tellys and videos go west on Barnes.    ;)
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: August 5, 2023, 02:04:13 pm »
Like some traumatised dude in therapy or something, I have to get this shit out of my system.

Games are like Christmas presents to me, away ones especially so. And for those who can't get to as many as they'd like, you know how it is. It's not just the game - it's the days before, the days after, the lot....

So then....Stoke. As you can see from my username I originally come from Cumbria, so travelling to Stoke is not exactly 'around the corner.' Anyway, 3 times at that place and 3 defeats, with only one early Gerrard penalty to show for those 3 games.

So, anyway, fuck Stoke, quite frankly.

Online jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #15 on: August 5, 2023, 09:19:07 pm »
1977 European cup semi final against FC Zurich.
5 of us left Liverpool in a hire car on the Sunday before the game.
Drive to Dover ferry over monday to Calais,drive on to Luxemburg .
Tuesday night in Freiburg Germany,Wednesday on to Zurich for the game.
Slept in car wednesday night then back to Freiburg on thursday.
Then onto Ostend on friday for late night ferry back to Dover.
Drive back to Liverpool arriving at teatime Saturday.
Lived on ale cheese and bread the whole week brilliant.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 5, 2023, 11:24:39 pm »
1977 European cup semi final against FC Zurich.
5 of us left Liverpool in a hire car on the Sunday before the game.
Drive to Dover ferry over monday to Calais,drive on to Luxemburg .
Tuesday night in Freiburg Germany,Wednesday on to Zurich for the game.
Slept in car wednesday night then back to Freiburg on thursday.
Then onto Ostend on friday for late night ferry back to Dover.
Drive back to Liverpool arriving at teatime Saturday.
Lived on ale cheese and bread the whole week brilliant.

Beautiful story. Thanks. (Would love to know more)

Online Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #17 on: August 6, 2023, 05:05:43 am »

What does doing a bucket mean? I googled it and couldn’t work it out?

Online oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #18 on: August 6, 2023, 10:39:35 am »
Leeds charity shield game where keegan and bremner were sent off
Brilliant in the Torch before hand
Thumbing it back and getting a lift on the motorway in a mini bus full of Leeds fans
Being dropped where the m1 and m6 join and walking miles before finding a phone box to sleep in
Getting a lift in an ice cream van to Birmingham and then a fuckin Bentley to stoke
Good times 😂

Does anyone remember a furniture van that used to go Wembley.
They would leave the back open and if you could get in you were welcomed by dozens of fellow reds making the trip
Whenever it stopped more would get in

Online jack witham

• Anny Roader
« Reply #19 on: August 6, 2023, 10:52:30 am »
The 1974 fa cup semi final against Leicester at Old Trafford .
We where on a manky coach that broke down on the East Lancs.
We had a barrel of beer on the coach,remember sitting on the hard shoulder
with the ale waiting for another coach and all the reds going past taking the
piss out of us.
We used to go everywhere on some very dodgy forms of transport,but had some great times.
Great thread by the way Shaun.
Form is temporary,Class is permanent.

Offline only6times

• a night. Founder of the Breck Road Brasses mediation service. Owner of an out of control Fat Finger.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: August 7, 2023, 03:44:26 pm »
Stoke away late 84, freezing day. A lad from by ours pretending to be a Stoke bizzie and ordering the steward to open the exit gate. As soon as he did loads dived in. On the terrace behind the goal and I heard load of squeaky voices shouting my nickname, turned round and saw my mates little brother and his schoolmates (school won a prize) all waving at me. Was known as "King of the kids" for a while after that.

There was kick offs all over the ground,  Reds everywhere and Whelan scoring a beauty late on.
bitter,not me.a granddad,but I'm not even 40

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #21 on: August 7, 2023, 04:26:23 pm »
Istanbul.  So many stories.....lol
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #22 on: August 7, 2023, 04:29:12 pm »
On the train to Crewe for Stevie's testimonial 10 years ago, shelled out on first class, was in the carriage with Ray Houghton and a table full of Neil Ruddock and his acolytes (probably his family).

Train gets stopped at MK for a while, about half 9 in the morning, all 26 stone of Ruddock claps his hands and announces "Right, Razor wants a cider" before shuffling down to the shop.

If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Barrow Shaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: August 7, 2023, 05:24:54 pm »
Newcastle away, last days of Hodgson I think....

Climbed 8 million steps, got vertigo with my burger looking out of the back window, up on top of the mountain but at least front row of the top of the mountain.... got beat 3-1 with Andy Carroll playing a blinder for them, then had spitting, feral, hissing types going at us once we'd descended the mountain. One lad with broken glasses and bruises back on the coach, another had his phone nicked.... and they fucking won.

Only seen trouble a handful of times in all of my games I've been to and this one wasn't nice. Happy to get out of the place.

Offline mapleleaf56

• Kemlynite
« Reply #24 on: August 7, 2023, 06:45:44 pm »
FC Brugge 1976 UEFA cup final 2nd leg..
Me my brother and 2 mates drove to Dover left the car there and got the ferry over to Ostend. The ferry was chocka with reds fans , fantastic atmosphere, as soon as the ferry left Dover the bars opened on board and the atmosphere went up a few notches, everyone was happy singing and dancing and then we got talking to this old kopite who turned out to be Phil Thompson’s dad!! He’d decided to travel as a fan rather than a family member..
Making our way to Brugge was quite eventful.. we had a huge flag which we’d put loads of beer in and was dragging it behind us.
We stopped at a market square ( not sure where) it had loads of national flags all around it so my brother decided he wanted the American flag so up the pole I went and got this flag only to get down the pole to be greeted by two Belgian cops, the put us in the back of the police car and we thought we was screwed. The where talking a lot but obviously we couldn’t understand them, anyway to our relief they decided to let us go, we got out and started to walk away when my brother said “shit we’ve left our flag with our beer in it. He decides to go back and tap on the window, one of the cops opened the window and my brother asked for our flag and beer back! To which the reply was one of the cops pointing a gun in his face and said “go before I shoot” needless to say we legged it sharpish..
« Last Edit: August 7, 2023, 06:47:19 pm by mapleleaf56 »

Online oldman

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: August 8, 2023, 01:26:43 pm »
Going to 1978 euro final at Wembley on a service train
Fuckin train breaks down near Tring and we are told to wait on train for a replacement.

Any way we could see a pub out the window so we all piled off the train and into this quaint little pub in the middle of nowhere and it was only about 12

Ended up with a couple of hundred in there having  a right piss up

The replacement train came and went without us so we all piled on a local train to London

Coming back Euston was rammed and train home was full when a good natured guard offered space in the guard van for the trip home.

When he went on his walk about one scouser nicked his sandwiches
Always felt bad about that