Author Topic: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara  (Read 811827 times)

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
Re: Welcome to Liverpool Thiago Alcantara
« Reply #7680 on: April 4, 2024, 02:48:38 pm »
In a parallel universe our starting midfield would be Mac, Naby and Thiago

Is the parallel universe Diddyland?
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Online newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7681 on: April 4, 2024, 02:48:41 pm »
In a parallel universe our starting midfield would be Mac, Naby and Thiago

That would be a midfield that didn't cover a lot of ground and was not the strongest. Granted - no one would get the ball from them.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #7682 on: April 4, 2024, 04:14:10 pm »
2 injury riddled seasons out of 3 (and we struggled in both those seasons). While the other season went great and he was a key player, we just fell short in the league and CL and he went off in the warm up in League Cup final. FA Cup semi against City probably his high point in a red shirt.

So this season was make or break both in terms of his Liverpool future and his Liverpool legacy. He'll join the what-ifs list of other injury riddled talents like Rob Jones, Babbel, Agger, Keita, Ox, Sturridge and Kewell.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7683 on: April 4, 2024, 04:32:25 pm »
In a parallel universe our starting midfield would be Mac, Gerrard Naby and Thiago

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7684 on: April 6, 2024, 12:06:40 pm »
I'm ready to be hurt once more.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7685 on: April 6, 2024, 12:08:09 pm »
I'm ready to be hurt once more.

good for you, enjoy the chains, but you don't need to tell the rest of us about the S & M kinks mr grey ;)

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7686 on: April 9, 2024, 12:21:10 am »
It was bad enough we're paying him 200k a week just to prepare him for his next job, now I learn his next job is Dancing With The Stars.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7687 on: Yesterday at 02:26:03 pm »
So Pearce sends out a tweet this morning saying that Thiago is leaving Liverpool this summer, and hours later his thread is still on page 3. Says a lot really.

Wonder if you told anyone last April 2023 that he had played his final minutes for the club what they would have made of it.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #7688 on: Yesterday at 02:29:37 pm »
or earlier

no surprise

a shame but 11m in wages off the books
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online emitime

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #7689 on: Yesterday at 02:31:27 pm »
Wonder if you told anyone last April 2023 that he had played his final minutes for the club what they would have made of it.

Well if they could see into the future they would have said you were lying.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7690 on: Yesterday at 02:40:02 pm »
Well if they could see into the future they would have said you were lying.

A good, useful comment.

I was doing him a favour by discounting the worst 5 minutes anyone has ever played for this club, his cameo against Arsenal. He came on, gave it away every touch, and tore his hamstring clean off the bone all in the time it takes a kettle to boil.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7691 on: Yesterday at 02:43:41 pm »
I will miss Thiago. For all his injury woes, he was incredible when he did take the pitch.

Have fond memories of the 21/22 season. The one season he remained relatively injury free (he made 39 appearances!), and was a huge part of our chase for the Quadruple. Remember the 4-0 against United at home where he was absolutely majestic.

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7692 on: Yesterday at 02:45:17 pm »
Ł250k a week, he was a glorious footballer on his day but I don't half think we could have used that money better.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7693 on: Yesterday at 02:47:03 pm »
In hindsight would have been ideal to sell last summer to someone in Saudi Arabia. Would have got the wages off the books and some money back for someone who played five minutes in a season. Still, at least the midfield looks better than it did a year ago. That's a lot of money saved in wages (which should obviously still be used elsewhere).

Such a shame he wasn't able to contribute something this season and most of last season too. I think he should just go into coaching now, don't think he has anything left to offer at the top level despite all the talent.

Ł250k a week, he was a glorious footballer on his day but I don't half think we could have used that money better.

When we got him on the field in his first two seasons he was very useful, just a shame you can't say the same for the second half of his stint here. Provided some top quality and experience. When Gini left in summer 2021, I was absolutely gobsmacked we didn't sign two midfielders that summer, let alone one. The fact we didn't do so the year afterwards after playing practically every game that season was stupidity. Of course nobody could have foreseen what would happen with Fabinho, but if we could have signed someone like Rice in 2022 it'd have changed a lot I feel. All ifs and buts and of course we can find someone of real quality this summer ideally.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:50:38 pm by disgraced cake »
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7694 on: Yesterday at 02:48:31 pm »
https://twitter.com/JamesPearceLFC/status/1788542454817243647

As Anfield prepares to say goodbye to a managerial icon, there will be considerably less fanfare for the departure of one of the most technically gifted players of the Klopp era.

For Thiago, this is the end of the road at #LFC.

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #7695 on: Yesterday at 02:50:01 pm »
I seem to remember he said he didn't want to go to Saudi. Wonder if he'll have changed his mind now after the year he's had though.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7696 on: Yesterday at 02:56:26 pm »
Probably the most asthetically pleasing player we've had. Probably Alonso, Litmanen at the same level.

But next to zero impact really. A couple of sublime performances - but the wrong player at the wrong time I think.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7697 on: Yesterday at 03:00:16 pm »
In hindsight would have been ideal to sell last summer to someone in Saudi Arabia. Would have got the wages off the books and some money back for someone who played five minutes in a season. Still, at least the midfield looks better than it did a year ago. That's a lot of money saved in wages (which should obviously still be used elsewhere).

Such a shame he wasn't able to contribute something this season and most of last season too. I think he should just go into coaching now, don't think he has anything left to offer at the top level despite all the talent.

When we got him on the field in his first two seasons he was very useful, just a shame you can't say the same for the second half of his stint here. Provided some top quality and experience. When Gini left in summer 2021, I was absolutely gobsmacked we didn't sign two midfielders that summer, let alone one. The fact we didn't do so the year afterwards after playing practically every game that season was stupidity. Of course nobody could have foreseen what would happen with Fabinho, but if we could have signed someone like Rice in 2022 it'd have changed a lot I feel. All ifs and buts and of course we can find someone of real quality this summer ideally.

Indeed and if you start to add up those salaries for Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita you can see why we didn't sign more midfielders, 3 of those all had terrible injury records eventually, you're totally right not replacing Gini with someone as robust as him was a failure of the club.

Hindsight is certainly a wonderful thing.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7698 on: Yesterday at 03:05:44 pm »
I will miss Thiago. For all his injury woes, he was incredible when he did take the pitch.

Have fond memories of the 21/22 season. The one season he remained relatively injury free (he made 39 appearances!), and was a huge part of our chase for the Quadruple. Remember the 4-0 against United at home where he was absolutely majestic.

Yeah, last couple of years haven't registered but a beautiful player to watch. In hindsight, shouldn't have been signed but that's hindsight I guess.

That goal against Porto still looks gorgeous.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• would rather be too cold than too hot
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #7699 on: Yesterday at 03:07:55 pm »
Probably the most asthetically pleasing player we've had. Probably Alonso, Litmanen at the same level.

But next to zero impact really. A couple of sublime performances - but the wrong player at the wrong time I think.
I find this view incomprehensible.

A phenomenal player who was the beating heart of the best team Klopp had in his 9 years at the club.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7700 on: Yesterday at 03:08:30 pm »
Yeah, last couple of years haven't registered but a beautiful player to watch. In hindsight, shouldn't have been signed but that's hindsight I guess.

That goal against Porto still looks gorgeous.

I think even in hindsight he should have been signed. He was one of our best players in that 20/21 run at the end of the season which got us CL football. He was also key in 21/22 as well.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7701 on: Yesterday at 03:09:21 pm »

A phenomenal player who was the beating heart of the best team Klopp had in his 9 years at the club.

I love Thiago and he was key for us in 20/21, 21/22, but in my opinion I think the 18/19 team was Klopp's best.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7702 on: Yesterday at 03:10:36 pm »
I love Thiago and he was key for us in 20/21, 21/22, but in my opinion I think the 18/19 team was Klopp's best.

100%

Alisson

Trent - Matip - Van Dijk - Robbo

Hendo - Fabinho - Gini

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Best Liverpool side I've ever watched. My days it was immense, it had no weakness.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7703 on: Yesterday at 03:11:05 pm »
I think even in hindsight he should have been signed. He was one of our best players in that 20/21 run at the end of the season which got us CL football. He was also key in 21/22 as well.

Yeah maybe. Might just be recency bias talking.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7704 on: Yesterday at 03:11:33 pm »
100%

Alisson

Hendo - Fabinho - Gini

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Best Liverpool side I've ever watched. My days it was immense, it had no weakness.

Didn't that team only start one game? The Champions League final?

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #7705 on: Yesterday at 03:12:37 pm »
18/19 was truly unbelievable - hard to argue with 97 points and a CL win really.

Think I'd just give 21/22 the edge but appreciate that's probably a minority view.
You change all the lead, sleeping in my head, as the day grows dim, I hear you sing a golden hymn.

Online Draex

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7706 on: Yesterday at 03:13:26 pm »
Didn't that team only start one game? The Champions League final?

Beat Spurs yeah?

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #7707 on: Yesterday at 03:14:42 pm »
Great player with a football at his feet, and when body in working order.

Great player on Fifa 23.

Sadly was not what we needed at the time of arrival, and unavailable now, even to the end.

I wish him well.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7708 on: Yesterday at 03:14:56 pm »
He started less than half our league and total games in 21/22. Just not having someone like that being described as the beating heart of the team! A nice addition but ultimately what he brought to the team is something we've never needed at his level to be good under Klopp.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7709 on: Yesterday at 03:15:41 pm »
To be perfectly honest, we have said goodbye to Thiago ages ago.
I haven't though of him as a Liverpool player in over a year.

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7710 on: Yesterday at 03:16:48 pm »

He arrived at the start of the overall decline of that side. The 18/19 and 19/20 teams were perfect. Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho and Wijnaldum were the spine of that team.

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7711 on: Yesterday at 03:17:15 pm »
Beat Spurs yeah?

I think it might have :P

I'd agree that that's my classic Klopp side as well but I think that's correct, which I'm really surprised by. Alisson got injured against Norwich on the opening day of the 19/20 season so Adrian came in for a while and then we must have injuries to certain other players once he returned. A bit mad really.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #7712 on: Yesterday at 03:21:03 pm »
Indeed and if you start to add up those salaries for Thiago, Hendo, Fabinho, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Keita you can see why we didn't sign more midfielders, 3 of those all had terrible injury records eventually, you're totally right not replacing Gini with someone as robust as him was a failure of the club.

Hindsight is certainly a wonderful thing.

Indeed it is. Even going back to last summer if we were actively looking to get rid of him I'd have probably said it'd be nuts, deep down though I think we all know the injuries would always have a huge say, and given he's been unavailable for 99.9% of the season, it's obviously been that way.

Go back a year earlier (2022) and truth be told we should have been more ruthless with Keita and Oxlade. Both actually had good seasons in 2021/22 when they played, but I think there was probably a feeling from the fans' perspective that it'd have been smart moving one or even both on with a year left on their contracts. The lack of movement on the midfield front from Gini's exit to last summer buying four was really strange. As you mention those three who have/had terrible injury records, you have to remember Henderson was never completely injury free and Curtis Jones never has been either. Wijnaldum was like the fucking indestructible man  ;D
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #7713 on: Yesterday at 03:21:15 pm »
I think he will live on in these pages, alongside Litmanen and a few others (e.g. Rob Jones, Marcus Babbel), as players who were good but 'could have been greats'.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7714 on: Yesterday at 03:23:12 pm »
I think it might have :P

I'd agree that that's my classic Klopp side as well but I think that's correct, which I'm really surprised by. Alisson got injured against Norwich on the opening day of the 19/20 season so Adrian came in for a while and then we must have injuries to certain other players once he returned. A bit mad really.

And Origi started the Norwich game for Mané, a Friday night in August sunshine, caused the first o.g., scored a lovely one himself. We didn't look back.

I find it crazy that CL final team only started once together. It feels unbelievable.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #7715 on: Yesterday at 03:26:47 pm »
He started less than half our league and total games in 21/22. Just not having someone like that being described as the beating heart of the team! A nice addition but ultimately what he brought to the team is something we've never needed at his level to be good under Klopp.
Fair comment on the lack on minutes. Think second half of that season he started the vast majority of games though and was integral to a quadruple run. I personally think calling him a nice addition understates his influence.

Just like the general perception of that team, I think Thiago suffers from how it ended. We were a Courtois masterclass and a Villa collapse away from history and for my money it wouldn't have been possible without Thiago.

Offline Mr Dilkington

• Legacy Fan
  • Never buy the Sun
    • www.level3football.com
« Reply #7716 on: Yesterday at 03:27:31 pm »
He arrived at the start of the overall decline of that side. The 18/19 and 19/20 teams were perfect. Alisson, Van Dijk, Fabinho and Wijnaldum were the spine of that team.
I think the 21/22 team was better than the 19/20 team personally.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7717 on: Yesterday at 03:27:33 pm »
100%

Alisson

Hendo - Fabinho - Gini

Salah - Firmino - Mane

Absolutely. A well-oiled pressing machine that was incredibly tight at the back and that moved forward at lightning speed. Ultimately, Thiago came with a huge reputation but at the end of the day we're looking at one good season out of four.

If we'd signed him two or three years earlier and built the team around his strengths it would probably have been a different story. But for me, he never seemed to have the pace or physicality to really fit into the midfield and seemed to end up making our play slower and more ponderous. It's significant that even in his first season, all the great performances - and there definitely were some - came without him in the team. Still, good luck to him wherever he goes from here.

Offline Realgman

• Kopite
  • gerrup the yard
« Reply #7718 on: Yesterday at 03:31:13 pm »
Amazing footballer. ..
I am not a dreamer. I am a football romantic-Jurgen Klopp

Offline Hazell

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7719 on: Yesterday at 03:31:36 pm »
And Origi started the Norwich game for Mané, a Friday night in August sunshine, caused the first o.g., scored a lovely one himself. We didn't look back.

I find it crazy that CL final team only started once together. It feels unbelievable.

Yeah, Origi started that one. Won all of our games bar the one at Old Trafford (that their goal wasn't ruled out still rankles) in the first part of the season so it was pretty much done early on. So yeah 18/19 and 19/20 was peak Klopp-era Liverpool for me and that side posted by Draex is the classic Klopp side, despite it only ever starting one game.

21/22 runs it close given how close we got to winning 4 trophies though. Should have done really, we were better in the Champions League final and came up against a country with unlimited funds in the league.