Author Topic: Pro Evolution Soccer Series  (Read 50917 times)

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
Re: Pro Evolution Soccer 2018 and 2019
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2019, 11:52:22 am »
Picked this up as it was cheap. I loved 18,but went FIFA this year as I just got annoyed with the lack of licensing and the presentation.

Anyway, got a PlayStation for Christmas so got this on it rather than Xbox and got sorted with an option file. I'm enjoying it. Plays a nicer game than FIFA, as it did last year. Although weirdly I have some framerate issues, particularly at the start if a half. I've got a PS4 Pro so it's weird. I do have the same on FIFA on standard Xbox One... Surely it's not an issue with the TV?  I assume the frame processing is all done by the console?  TV is in Game mode but I do have a few enhancements turned on. It's a Phillips TV, 4k and HDR, but not a very expensive one.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #281 on: March 26, 2019, 01:30:10 pm »
The last Pro Evo I had was 2016, is it worth getting the 2019 one and has there been significant changes between them two games?

Lastly, is it quite straightforward to download an option file on a USB and stick it on the game? Thanks.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #282 on: March 26, 2019, 01:41:13 pm »
It's only a tenner on the PS Store at the moment so picked it up the other day.  Doing the player career mode at the moment and set myself as a number 10 but the manager is playing me as a fucking right back.  I'm doing a really diligent job up and down that flank, tucking in when needed, overlapping on attacks, playing like a proper right back and it's actually pretty fun.  But I want to get scoring, he'd better move me into my favourite position soon.

To answer the question above, I can't really feel any difference between this version and the 2017 one I played, the only thing that seems to change is the UI.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #283 on: March 26, 2019, 06:25:18 pm »
Lastly, is it quite straightforward to download an option file on a USB and stick it on the game? Thanks.
If it's still the same as 2017, which I imagine it is, it's fairly straightforward.

Think you have to use a PC rather than a Mac though, if that's a problem for you.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #284 on: March 28, 2019, 02:30:02 am »
It's only a tenner on the PS Store at the moment so picked it up the other day.  Doing the player career mode at the moment and set myself as a number 10 but the manager is playing me as a fucking right back.  I'm doing a really diligent job up and down that flank, tucking in when needed, overlapping on attacks, playing like a proper right back and it's actually pretty fun.  But I want to get scoring, he'd better move me into my favourite position soon.

To answer the question above, I can't really feel any difference between this version and the 2017 one I played, the only thing that seems to change is the UI.

If it’s still a tenner I might give it a punt then. I was hoping they would have made big strides forward since 2016 which was ok but didn’t feel great, the way to score felt a bit samey by blamming it in top corner anywhere around the box and the skills to beat a man or do anything inventive felt non-existent.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #285 on: March 28, 2019, 11:36:57 am »
If it’s still a tenner I might give it a punt then. I was hoping they would have made big strides forward since 2016 which was ok but didn’t feel great, the way to score felt a bit samey by blamming it in top corner anywhere around the box and the skills to beat a man or do anything inventive felt non-existent.

I haven't played 2016 so can't comment on how different the game is on the whole, but Deffo not the case in with the highlighted in PES 19.  There are plenty of good ways to beat a man with the right stick/left stick combo as well as drag-backs, jinking the left stick et cetera. It does take a little practice to get the moves and timing right though.   As for shooting, I've been scoring a pretty big variety of goals:  top corners, bottom corners, rising shots, dipping shots, lobbing the keeper etc.  Plenty of variety there and I've not come across a 'cheat method' of scoring as yet.  Barca are the most fun side to play as out of the sides that I've used. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 11:40:31 am by Darren G »

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #286 on: June 24, 2019, 11:56:55 am »
After 20 years of buying PES - and mostly enjoying it - I'm not buying it again in September. I've seen the latest reports on PES 2020 that the gameplay is amazing etc etc and blah blah.

But I'm not spending even 20 minutes messing around with option files, especially now that EA have got the Liverpool FC licence as well the Uefa Champions League - two licences that go together like cookies and cream.

I like PES 2019 but it doesn't seem that different to Fifa to me, and now that I have a 6 year old who I will get into footy games, it will need to be Fifa all the way.

The days when PES had incredible charm and gameplay that made it essential are well over. The only odd thing is, I'm so used to PES every year.

Anyway, times change!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline has gone odd

• a tru-ro...I mean....red!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #287 on: July 5, 2019, 12:43:54 pm »
Gone tits up front this franchise ..

Man Utd to be the new face of PES.  Whether LFC have something lined up with EA after this contract expires, who knows.
- all in my opinion of course -

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #288 on: July 5, 2019, 12:59:24 pm »
Gone tits up front this franchise ..

Man Utd to be the new face of PES.  Whether LFC have something lined up with EA after this contract expires, who knows.
Pretty much confirmed, Liverpool have joined EA in Fifa 20.

Wow Konami, great time to lose European Champions Liverpool FC, having already lost the Champions League licence.

Fair credit, you would have thought PES would be dead years ago, but die-hard fans and small-ish sales seem to have kept them going. No one has even been cultish, fanish about Fifa but Pes, on the other hand...

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #289 on: July 5, 2019, 04:39:09 pm »
Whatever made PES special on PS2 went years ago. I still think there's a place for pes because it does offer a different gameplay experience. The huge issue is that in this day and age of fifa streamers and ultimate team it just doesnt have a fucking chance. Everyone cares what authenticity looks like over what it plays like. Can you imagine pes 2 in 2020, people would go mental because of the licensing and remember the south american countries which you had to edit etc and had refalinho or whatever upfront.
 I've just downloaded pes 2019 on xb1 through gamepass. Just fancy an international sp tourney.
« Last Edit: July 5, 2019, 04:41:27 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #290 on: July 5, 2019, 05:45:02 pm »
It’s an odd one, as the gameplay has been fantastic for the past two years, but I just lose interest so quickly with it. As bizarre as this sounds, the menu layout and music and whatnot play a huge part in it, it’s amateur beyond belief.
AHA!

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #291 on: July 5, 2019, 09:16:22 pm »
It’s an odd one, as the gameplay has been fantastic for the past two years, but I just lose interest so quickly with it. As bizarre as this sounds, the menu layout and music and whatnot play a huge part in it, it’s amateur beyond belief.

Big make-over this year, I believe.  Haven't seen images yet.

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #292 on: July 6, 2019, 01:06:04 pm »
The PES gameplay is not significantly better or worse than FIFA, and for what it's worth I think both are pretty terrible. You may prefer one or the other, but there's no way PES is as bad as most people usually make out. That's gameplay though. On pretty much every other front it's behind FIFA, sometimes massively so.

Konami should scrap the whole PES branding. I've been saying this for years. As much nostalgia as I have tied up in it, the reputation is beyond repair. Younger generations consider it a joke, if they consider it at all.

Of course the best outcome for everyone would be if someone with outlandish financial backing was able to get a load of licenses and make a legitimately decent alternative.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #293 on: July 8, 2019, 12:04:56 pm »

No, I agree with you.The whole game looks shoddy.

Offline Ryde-On

• Kicks off down Mathew Street if he hasn't managed to pull a clap-ridden whore on a Saturday
  • Legacy Fan
  • Aye.
« Reply #294 on: July 10, 2019, 12:17:50 am »
It plays brilliantly, though.  There's just no comparison to FIFA....that stuff's almost unplayable.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #295 on: July 10, 2019, 07:10:22 am »
The PES gameplay is not significantly better or worse than FIFA, and for what it's worth I think both are pretty terrible. You may prefer one or the other, but there's no way PES is as bad as most people usually make out. That's gameplay though. On pretty much every other front it's behind FIFA, sometimes massively so.

Konami should scrap the whole PES branding. I've been saying this for years. As much nostalgia as I have tied up in it, the reputation is beyond repair. Younger generations consider it a joke, if they consider it at all.

Of course the best outcome for everyone would be if someone with outlandish financial backing was able to get a load of licenses and make a legitimately decent alternative.

I don't agree at all with that.  I switched from FIFA 19 directly to PES 2019 and it's a night and day difference.  The ball physics alone are a world apart.  The ball moves and rolls like it's half flat in FIFA by comparison.

I can understand (and share) people's disappointment with the music and menus in PES, but at the end of the day the off-field presentation is secondary and not that important to my overall enjoyment of playing the game.  In terms of the licensing, it's a simple matter to download a patch to fix all of that.  I know that ideally it would already all be there 'out of the box', but still feel people moaning about licensed teams and leagues are just being lazy.  Also, on PC at least,  it's actually possible to get the game closer to reality than FIFA, with proper tv logos, camera angles and the like.   

It's all down to personal opinion obviously, but when all's said and done what's important to me is a game that allows me to play an enjoyable game of football.  PES is way ahead in that department in my opinion.  If admiring flashy menus and listening to music becomes paramount though I'll deffo go back to FIFA.  ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:16:07 am by Darren G »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #296 on: July 31, 2019, 08:31:01 pm »
Pes 2020 demo is out. Will report back. Wasnt feeling last years version

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #297 on: July 31, 2019, 08:38:04 pm »
Pes 2020 demo is out. Will report back. Wasnt feeling last years version

Have played a few games:

Player models are improved. New camera angle is good. All presentation aspects still look like they are from 1995.
Scored 6 goals with Man United.

Player response not great, split second pause before they do what you command.

---I'm getting Fifa, I want official Liverpool and The Champions league.

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #298 on: July 31, 2019, 09:32:51 pm »
Have played a few games:

Player models are improved. New camera angle is good. All presentation aspects still look like they are from 1995.
Scored 6 goals with Man United.

Player response not great, split second pause before they do what you command.

---I'm getting Fifa, I want official Liverpool and The Champions league.

Yeah I quite like the new angle. I didn't play last years much but the little I did play...well I prefer this. I played on Top Player and even though this is one below the highest difficulty it wasnt really testing. The AI was so so and they just didn't do enough foing forward. Had a quick go online and I thought they'd put more emphasis on that this year (or so I'd heard) but I didn't notice any changes and it's just such a basic setup, over ten years ago they had a better online matchmaking system with pes 6 on the xbox 360.

I think when your in possession ot plays nice, methodical even and I know they are trying to replicate the game the way its played but sometimes you need a little more pace (without altering the settings) and it just isn't there.

So it's got its annoyances, standing tackle for one. Sometimes when your pressuring from behind you'll give away fouls and free kicks unintentionally, I even gave a pen away like this but the ball had already been played and it just wasnt a penalty. The crowd seems to be lacking, the atmosphere just isn't there.

Once again the general UI and presentation is lacking. Really needs a overhaul in that respect.

I'll get fifa because of the liverpool connection and cl but I'd of probably got it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 09:37:57 pm by Upinsmoke »

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #299 on: July 31, 2019, 10:04:48 pm »
No, I agree with you.The whole game looks shoddy.

They need to open the whole thing up to proper customisation. Ad-boards, balls, boots, scoreboards, bring back create a stadium... everything should be customisable.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #300 on: August 1, 2019, 10:47:30 am »
Big make-over this year, I believe.  Haven't seen images yet.

Turns out they just changed the top menu and turned the other screens purple...

Online J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #301 on: August 1, 2019, 01:46:23 pm »
Personally think it plays a lot smoother than 2019.

Scored some belters with Auba and Lacazette.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #302 on: August 2, 2019, 06:06:18 pm »
I like the demo of PES 2020 (refuse to use the new name!)

Dribbling and tackling seems a lot less by-numbers...  bit more physical and realistic, definitely plays better, seems less "scripted" overall. Having a blast with Juve

Can't go back to FIFA now. Option files ahoy

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #303 on: August 2, 2019, 07:40:39 pm »
Anyone else playing the PC demo? You can extend the game time with Sider

I've uploaded it here:

https://ufile.io/o6yshrh2

Basically unrar it to the same folder your PES2020.exe is in (for me it's c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\eFootball PES 2020 DEMO) and double click sider.exe when the game is running - alt tab out, click, and go back in and start a normal game (don't bother trying to adjust times the normal way)

I've already set it to 10 minute halves. Can edit this in the sider.ini - 20 minutes is fun but your players get knackered  ;D

Enjoy!

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #304 on: August 3, 2019, 11:31:10 am »
They need to open the whole thing up to proper customisation. Ad-boards, balls, boots, scoreboards, bring back create a stadium... everything should be customisable.

You have all that and more on the PC version. I currently have around 50 extra stadiums, this coming season's kits, all trophies and comps, scoreboards, pyro smoke, menu screens, boot packs, scoreboards, competition menu screens, music and entrances, various tunnels, better turf and lighting etc etc. 
« Last Edit: August 3, 2019, 11:36:12 am by Darren G »

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #305 on: August 4, 2019, 08:29:58 pm »
Man, now I'm playing for 20 minute halves I have the time to get deep into the gameplay

I like it. Had a few really good games of footie. Was conceding loads of fouls until I figured out to trap the ball with L2 instead of using A

The full thing is gonna be boss. Master League

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #306 on: September 7, 2019, 08:54:35 pm »
(As pointed out in the FIFA thread)

Shopto.net has the console versions for roughly 35 squid

• Kopite
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2019, 11:52:04 am »
Anyone get it yet?  Played a few games last night after it was released at midnight.  It's really good (thankfully - I worried I had wasted money doubly because if it was underwhelming I'd end up buying FIFA in a few weeks)

On-field it's amazing.  More realistic and "weighty" than last year's game.  Have only played a couple of games though and haven't delved into any game mode aside from MyClub (disappointingly, they are actually recommending not starting Master League until after they release the player update on Thursday - that's the one obvious (and pretty substantial to be honest) criticism thus far).

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2019, 12:14:43 pm »
Yeah a bit annoying about the squads not being updated until Thursday but honestly knowing Konami I’m just glad it’s not longer. It wont effect me too much as I’ll download the game tonight and doubt I’ll have much time to play it. Then tomorrow night I’ll get the PES universe option file and configure that which usually takes an hour or so. So by the time the update is out I won’t have actually had much time to play anyway. Glad it’s before the weekend!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2019, 01:44:54 pm »
I bought it from ShopTo earlier so hopefully get here tomorrow.

If I’m honest, with the Pes Universe OF, Konami updates etc. I think you’re well better of waiting a few weeks before starting a ML save in my opinion. I usually play friendly matches or do a few online matches to get used to all the changes in the new version before diving into ML.

Camera is a funny one, I changed it after a couple games on the demo to what I use on PES 2019, think it’s Dynamic Wide with minor adjustments to height. But all the early reviews/feedback list the new camera angle as a massive change for the better, so I think I’ll give it another go on the proper game.

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #310 on: September 11, 2019, 11:55:36 am »
Ha, I may change my mind, Fifa seemed a bit bland. What a bloody faffe with the stupid option files though.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #311 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:34 am »
This is great. Knocks FIFA shite out the park.

Anyone got any tips for where best to get the options file? Is it worth waiting a few weeks for them to get it properly sorted?
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

• Kopite
« Reply #312 on: September 12, 2019, 04:33:42 pm »
This is great. Knocks FIFA shite out the park.

Anyone got any tips for where best to get the options file? Is it worth waiting a few weeks for them to get it properly sorted?
I got mine from PESUniverse.  I don't know if they're the best but I used them last year too and they do look great.

I don't think you need to wait a few weeks, these guys seem to be on top of things in terms of if something goes wrong due to a patch.

Offline kj999

• 180 + 90 = ...............er..............hang on................ oh yeah 180........ :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Maths Mug!
« Reply #313 on: September 12, 2019, 04:47:42 pm »
I got mine from PESUniverse.  I don't know if they're the best but I used them last year too and they do look great.

I don't think you need to wait a few weeks, these guys seem to be on top of things in terms of if something goes wrong due to a patch.

Nice one, I'll get from there i reckon.
Clarity of Thought before Rashness of Action...

Offline lionel_messias

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #314 on: September 12, 2019, 05:51:09 pm »
This is really good, when you enjoy picking up the ball with Frank Kessie of AC Milan, you know this game is
good quality for the licensed teams.

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #315 on: September 12, 2019, 07:00:54 pm »
The new camera angle takes some getting used to but other than that it’s pretty awesome. Only played 4 games so far but the improvements are great

• Kopite
« Reply #316 on: September 12, 2019, 08:55:55 pm »
Started a Master League and Upamecano (Leipzig CB) is listed as 26 years old - anyone know if this is a Konami error or an option files error?

He's 20 in real life

Offline ToneLa

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #317 on: September 13, 2019, 06:07:59 pm »
I'm working now and this is gonna be my present to myself! Worse things to spends wages on  ;D

Gonna get it on PS4 from ShopTo, option files sound a faff but ain't that bad really. Well worth it.

Master League seems better this year, has a bit more manager interaction. Anyone reasonably deep in it yet?

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #318 on: September 14, 2019, 11:22:57 am »
For me PES is still way ahead of FIFA gameplay wise, FIFA plays like a cartoonish arcade game. But of course the millions they spend on marketing and licenses helps them shift shitloads more copies.

Plus the shiny package, physics defying gameplay and spending £100s to play online with a team is sadly more appealing to the YouTube generation and 15 year olds that mainly play it. At least PES feels like you are playing an actual football match rather than some Marvel-styled version of it.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2019, 11:26:04 am by OneTouchFooty »

Offline Upinsmoke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #319 on: September 14, 2019, 12:29:12 pm »
For me PES is still way ahead of FIFA gameplay wise, FIFA plays like a cartoonish arcade game. But of course the millions they spend on marketing and licenses helps them shift shitloads more copies.

Plus the shiny package, physics defying gameplay and spending £100s to play online with a team is sadly more appealing to the YouTube generation and 15 year olds that mainly play it. At least PES feels like you are playing an actual football match rather than some Marvel-styled version of it.

I'm 33, I've played fifa and pes for the past 20 years. I liked PES but the truth is it died a death after PES6.

I work 35 hours a week, have 3 kids and dont have the patience for PES anymore, I wanna go and play a game where I can jump on it for an hour and have fun, FIFA offers me that more than PES. Fair play to PES for trying to create the most realistic representation of football available but I dont find it that much fun honestly. actually as sad as it sounds when I was 16, I used to enjoy editing names and kits and everything. I dont anymore and even though there are option files available, fuck that, its 2019. Master League hasn't moved on in over 15 years, I'd argue its worse now than it was on PES2. The online mode has gone backwards, the last good online game of PES was PES6 on the 360.

I like authenticity in presentation as much as I do in gameplay. Its unfair to lump people into this gimpy youtube generation because a game doesnt provide them with as much enjoyment as years gone by.

I do hate the fifa YouTube generation but there are people out there that grew up with both way before that.