Author Topic: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs  (Read 84375 times)

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
Re: Spurs - First Ten Games 23/24 League Champs
« Reply #200 on: September 2, 2023, 12:07:30 pm »
It is not that Brennan Johnson is a bad player, but what exactly is Tottenham's idea with him?

He's very much a spurs signing. Decent player but I very much doubt elite. No idea where they are going play him unless the plan is to play him as an out and out striker - which he isn't really
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: September 2, 2023, 01:13:37 pm »
He's very much a spurs signing. Decent player but I very much doubt elite. No idea where they are going play him unless the plan is to play him as an out and out striker - which he isn't really

I actually like him as a player, but I don't see how he fits next to Son, Kulusevski and Richarlison. Than again, he is better than Richarlison, so they might actually use him as a false 9 ...

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: September 2, 2023, 08:20:45 pm »
Maddison is some player. Coutinho-esque actually. Can't believe I convinced myself that Grealish was the better player a few years ago.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #203 on: September 2, 2023, 08:29:18 pm »
Maddison is some player. Coutinho-esque actually. Can't believe I convinced myself that Grealish was the better player a few years ago.

They've had a fairly easy start so I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet, he's talented but has never shown much consistency

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: September 2, 2023, 08:39:31 pm »

He will disappear sooner than you expect ...

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: September 2, 2023, 09:49:44 pm »
Ange is a top coach tbf

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: September 2, 2023, 11:20:41 pm »
Ange is a top coach tbf

Yeah, much more suitable than the managers they hired in that weird period where they thought all they needed was "a winner" who could change the loser Spurs image. Poch to Mourinho remains the weirdest managerial transitions possibly ever.

The trouble he has is defining what success is for Spurs. Winning a trophy is the obvious answer. Consistently qualifying for the Champions League? One of the issues with City's ill-gotten dominance is teams like Spurs have basically no hope of transcending themselves.

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #207 on: September 2, 2023, 11:34:09 pm »
Ange is a top coach tbf
And very likable from what I've seen of him so far.

Offline FiSh77

• LoAves0. Is completely hooked on RAWK. Dead ringer for Amos Taylor. Burns, baby, burns.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: September 2, 2023, 11:45:04 pm »
And very likable from what I've seen of him so far.

Likable fellas win fuck all, well apart from Bill, Bob, Joe, Kenny, Ged, Rafa & Jurgen

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: September 3, 2023, 12:04:38 am »
Yeah, much more suitable than the managers they hired in that weird period where they thought all they needed was "a winner" who could change the loser Spurs image. Poch to Mourinho remains the weirdest managerial transitions possibly ever.

The trouble he has is defining what success is for Spurs. Winning a trophy is the obvious answer. Consistently qualifying for the Champions League? One of the issues with City's ill-gotten dominance is teams like Spurs have basically no hope of transcending themselves.

Tottenham really need to create an identity for themselves. Now that they have a new stadium, a solid new manager, a solid team, and have finally released the ballast of the loser Kane, they should start building. Oh, and they should definitely stop making stupid expensive signings like Richarlison. Go back to the basics, find talented young players before their price has exploded, and develop them ...

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: September 3, 2023, 07:14:40 am »
New manager bounce, no Kane and hungry players.

In the mix for top 4 as no Europe but no injuries to key players as yet and they will face much better sides

Doesnt Maddison have long term fitness issues?

Solid start but long way to go..

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: September 3, 2023, 07:22:22 am »
They've had a fairly easy start so I wouldn't get too excited about him just yet, he's talented but has never shown much consistency

I do think he's a very good player and never understood why he got so criticised outside of Leicester. He is a bit streaky though and does tend to miss games with knocks.

Online decosabute

• ...and so am I. Abu Dhabi correspondent
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: September 3, 2023, 07:26:00 am »
It's a bit mad how in our massive rebuild summer (after having fuck all net spend for years) we've spent £90m net. And yet these, even factoring in the Kane sale, have spent £150m net.

That's after massively outspending us for years, having a billion pound stadium to pay off, and no European football.

Net spends since 2019 (transfermarkt):
Liverpool - €244m
Spurs - €520m

Don't really understand how they're doing that, other than massively loading up on debt to desperately get back to CL. Surprised there's no FFP chat around these.
« Last Edit: September 3, 2023, 07:54:06 am by decosabute »

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: September 3, 2023, 08:27:21 am »
They’ve also had £1bn stadium to pay for.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2023, 09:55:45 pm »
Tottenham really need to create an identity for themselves. Now that they have a new stadium, a solid new manager, a solid team, and have finally released the ballast of the loser Kane, they should start building. Oh, and they should definitely stop making stupid expensive signings like Richarlison. Go back to the basics, find talented young players before their price has exploded, and develop them ...
Go on, guyuere us a clue what their identity should be. Doesn't have to be a big clue, just a baby bell one?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: September 13, 2023, 02:48:42 pm »
Think the lad had issues long before he went to Spurs.  :-\

Richarlison: Tottenham striker says he will 'seek psychological help

ottenham striker Richarlison says he will "seek psychological help" when he returns to England after the international break.

Richarlison was pictured in tears after being substituted during Brazil's 5-1 win over Bolivia on Saturday.

He said the reaction was down to "getting the things that were happening off the pitch out of my system".

Richarlison has scored only four goals in 40 games for Spurs since joining for £60m from Everton last summer.

"I went through a turbulent time off the pitch during these past five months," he told Brazilian newspaper O Globo.

"Now things are a bit more stable at home. People who only had their eye on my money are no longer close to me.

"Things are going to flow now and I'm certain that I will have a good run at Tottenham and will make things happen again.

"I'm going to return to England and seek psychological help, from a psychologist, to strengthen my mind. That's what it is about, to come back stronger."

Richarlison missed a great chance before being replaced in the 71st minute in the home World Cup qualifier against Bolivia in Belem, and was substituted 64 minutes into Tuesday's 1-0 win over Peru in Lima.

O Globo reported that Richarlison has split with long-term agent Renato Velasco.

"That moment of sadness wasn't about having played badly," said Richarlison.

"In my opinion, I didn't play a bad match in Belem. It was more about getting the things that were happening off the pitch out of my system, which had gotten out of control not because if anything I'd done but because of people close to me."

Brazil play World Cup qualifiers against Venezuela on 13 October and Uruguay on 18 October

Tottenham, second in the Premier League, host Sheffield United on Saturday.

"I think I will be part of the next (Brazil) line-up - that's what I'm working towards," said Richarlison.

"It's about doing a good run at Tottenham. I'm going to sit down and talk to them. I need a good run, get into the flow of play and settle in.".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66797630?at_campaign_type=owned&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=3B01C5EC-5233-11EE-9C06-BB033AE5AB7B&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_medium=social&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_origin=Match_of_the_Day&at_format=link&fbclid=IwAR3bTg0Ru-MLhOzPDiwpQwhWm6w5azdpcrZgtzUT3Ukpgh0hRLee-P0O8TY

Offline FiSh77

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: September 13, 2023, 03:19:37 pm »
Go on, guyuere us a clue what their identity should be. Doesn't have to be a big clue, just a baby bell one?

Who gives edam?

Online Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #217 on: September 13, 2023, 03:25:16 pm »
I’m surprised that every club in the PL doesn’t have a psychologist on staff. In fact, how have they not?
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline Inpeace

• Kopite
« Reply #218 on: September 13, 2023, 03:27:56 pm »
New manager bounce, no Kane and hungry players.

In the mix for top 4 as no Europe but no injuries to key players as yet and they will face much better sides

Doesnt Maddison have long term fitness issues?

Solid start but long way to go..
From November

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Serie-A/How-much-each-Premier-League-club-can-spend-on-transfers-under-FFP-rules/2713969

"An analysis of top flight clubs undertaken for Sportsmail by Kieran Maguire, a lecturer in football finance at the University of Liverpool, estimates what each club could spend and still stay within the FFP limit.

He has calculated that Spurs have by far the most FFP 'wiggle room' after a decade of bumper profits and limited transfer spending.

In fact, the north London club could spend up to £400m and stay within the FFP limit, twice the sum available to Arsenal and comfortably more than Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City."

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: September 13, 2023, 03:32:41 pm »
Psychological help, from a psychologist, surely he needs a vet, no  ?
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: September 13, 2023, 03:34:09 pm »
From November

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/Serie-A/How-much-each-Premier-League-club-can-spend-on-transfers-under-FFP-rules/2713969

"An analysis of top flight clubs undertaken for Sportsmail by Kieran Maguire, a lecturer in football finance at the University of Liverpool, estimates what each club could spend and still stay within the FFP limit.

He has calculated that Spurs have by far the most FFP 'wiggle room' after a decade of bumper profits and limited transfer spending.

In fact, the north London club could spend up to £400m and stay within the FFP limit, twice the sum available to Arsenal and comfortably more than Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City."

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: September 13, 2023, 03:43:44 pm »
Psychological help, from a psychologist, surely he needs a vet, no  ?
An Avian vet?

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: September 13, 2023, 03:57:28 pm »
Think the lad had issues long before he went to Spurs.  :-\

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66797630?at_campaign_type=owned&at_bbc_team=editorial&at_link_id=3B01C5EC-5233-11EE-9C06-BB033AE5AB7B&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_ptr_name=facebook_page&at_medium=social&at_link_type=web_link&at_link_origin=Match_of_the_Day&at_format=link&fbclid=IwAR3bTg0Ru-MLhOzPDiwpQwhWm6w5azdpcrZgtzUT3Ukpgh0hRLee-P0O8TY

Fair play to him for speaking up. Hope he gets himself sorted out.

Always good to have a reminder for some people that no matter how much money someone gets paid, it doesn't mean they're exempt from mental health problems.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: September 13, 2023, 06:18:43 pm »

Always good to have a reminder for some people that no matter how much money someone gets paid, it doesn't mean they're exempt from mental health problems.
like many I enjoy giving him shit for being a gobshite, but after seeing that - time to give him a break I think.

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: September 13, 2023, 09:13:39 pm »

This is very well said, and agree with all the above.
Hope gets himself sorted out.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #225 on: September 13, 2023, 09:36:10 pm »
"Now things are a bit more stable at home. People who only had their eye on my money are no longer close to me.

"In my opinion, I didn't play a bad match in Belem. It was more about getting the things that were happening off the pitch out of my system, which had gotten out of control not because if anything I'd done but because of people close to me."

Sounds like some hangers on, maybe some small bit of mental extortion, who knows. But for his sake it is best to get rid of these type people.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline Thats So Dimitar

• Kopite
« Reply #226 on: September 14, 2023, 12:04:48 am »

It's a bit of a worry the amount of players who have been with Spurs in the last decade who have expressed issues with mental health. Richarlison, Dele, Rose, Soldado I think as well. Makes me wonder if they do have any resources within the club to support them as someone else mentioned further up.
We beat Real Madrid

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: September 14, 2023, 06:04:15 am »
I’m surprised that every club in the PL doesn’t have a psychologist on staff. In fact, how have they not?

I’d assume many have sports psychologists which is a different thing to what he’s after (a clinical psychologist). Some of my undergraduate mates went on to do sports psychology. It’s about motivation and overcoming mental challenges in sport. A clinical psychologist is better trained on issues outside of sport. I know one clinical psychologist who trained as a sports psychologist but the roles aren’t interchangeable.

There is also the chance he is seeking a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist. Either way, I’m sure the club will offer any help they can.

Offline Historical Fool

• A fool in the present too. The ban on drivel from 666 has led to a remarkable increase in forum quality. Currently being spectacularly wooshed. Seemingly by, well, just about everything.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • FSG EOTM June ‘23
    • Fenway Sports Group
« Reply #228 on: September 14, 2023, 06:21:42 am »

You should try to buy him for El-Ettifaq …
You're all too fucking serious, the lot of you. Relax, we don't really matter.

Oh, and we should have an in's and out's topic, stickied.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2023, 07:13:01 am »
I’d assume many have sports psychologists which is a different thing to what he’s after (a clinical psychologist). Some of my undergraduate mates went on to do sports psychology. It’s about motivation and overcoming mental challenges in sport. A clinical psychologist is better trained on issues outside of sport. I know one clinical psychologist who trained as a sports psychologist but the roles aren’t interchangeable.

There is also the chance he is seeking a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist. Either way, I’m sure the club will offer any help they can.

Also, it's not like he can't afford to pay them himself.
I hope the 'banter' that's generally flying about regarding players doesn't generally affect them. I'm sure some are more sensitive than other.  From what I recall we mostly just label him shit. Primarily because he played for Everton.  And I'd like to think he can ignore being called shit while he plays for a PL club and we , well don't.
That said , Jason Lee couldn't cope with comments about his hair.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #230 on: September 14, 2023, 07:26:42 am »

It was a long running joke about how he's a shit footballer on a popular show where the hosts wore blackface and put pineapples on their heads to depict him.  Think it was a bit more than just saying he had different hair.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2023, 08:49:10 am »

Agreed.

But also, it's still fairly clear that the guy is a massive knob head. Probably similar to Suarez in that he's someone you hate when he's playing against you but love when he is playing for you - providing he is scoring goals, which he hasn't been doing for over a year now.

The bus thing, the pigeon celebration, the crowd shushing, the diving and "gamemanship".

Just the general sense of misplaced confidence and arrogance that he exudes. Very similar to Pickford really. If you don't want abuse from opposition fans then don't act like a twat.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 08:51:08 am by LovelyCushionedHeader »
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: September 14, 2023, 09:05:49 am »
It was a long running joke about how he's a shit footballer on a popular show where the hosts wore blackface and put pineapples on their heads to depict him.  Think it was a bit more than just saying he had different hair.
Cheers tubby. Didn't realise it was more than the chant. Comment retracted .

--edit-- but leaving it in just in case anyone else is ignorant of the facts surrounding this .

Online Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2023, 09:26:50 am »
The Athletic has got an article about 20 agents rating the last transfer window. The top of their list of best transfers is….James Maddison.

Alexis Mac Allister nowhere to be found.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2023, 09:33:33 am »
The Athletic has got an article about 20 agents rating the last transfer window. The top of their list of best transfers is….James Maddison.

Alexis Mac Allister nowhere to be found.
Clueless AF.

Maddison always seems to have a purple patch during in a season, then when that's over you forget he actually exists.

I hate him, that shocking penalty against the Bitters that he wasn't even supposed to be taking, the David Beckham wanabee.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2023, 09:41:25 am by RedSince86 »
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2023, 09:38:37 am »
Cheers tubby. Didn't realise it was more than the chant. Comment retracted .

--edit-- but leaving it in just in case anyone else is ignorant of the facts surrounding this .

No worries, it was all fun and games at the time, I remember it happening and just thinking it was funny.  On reflection, it was really shocking stuff and made him a laughing stock in the football world.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online Ghost Town

• RAWK snitch. Bands won't play no more. Too much fighting on the dance floor! Probably one of only three people who knows the meaning of "depuratory", the Suzy Dent-esque freakshow! Hannoying homunculus.
  • Legacy Fan
  • mundus vult decipi
« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2023, 06:08:52 pm »
No worries, it was all fun and games at the time, I remember it happening and just thinking it was funny.  On reflection, it was really shocking stuff and made him a laughing stock in the football world.
It was one of the first examples of what you might call mass social media effect upon an unsuspecting individual. I don't think anyone expected the piss-taking to take off like it did. Songs in grounds had long been a thing but they were sporadic; only some grounds sang them and they'd soon peter out as the next thing came along. This was suddenly everywhere, in grounds, in pubs, in shops, on the street, on telly...and relentless. The player was taken completely by surprise and had no experience of having to cope with such a relentless barrage. And even the perps didn't realise quite what was happening until it was too late.

Of course, in the best traditions of our 'no-dots-ever-knowingly-joined' culture, no lessons were learned...
"Every man has a right to utter what he thinks truth, and every other man has a right to knock him down for it."
Samuel (not Glen) Johnson, as reported by James (not Joey) Boswell. They must have foreseen RAWK ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2023, 09:08:25 pm »
Also, it's not like he can't afford to pay them himself.
I hope the 'banter' that's generally flying about regarding players doesn't generally affect them. I'm sure some are more sensitive than other.  From what I recall we mostly just label him shit. Primarily because he played for Everton.  And I'd like to think he can ignore being called shit while he plays for a PL club and we , well don't.

Funny that you mention him, I just posted about him in the United thread, they weren't just comments about his hair were they, the pricks used to blackface up and put on a stupid voice, both should've been cancelled straight away.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: September 15, 2023, 07:51:59 pm »
Really impressed with Ange. Just saw this on the Beeb;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66819015

Defo most charismatic guy to the enter the PL since Jurgen. I can see now why Celtic supporters were so bummed out to lose him, and then Rodgers being rehired must really rub salt in the wound.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Terry de Niro

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: September 15, 2023, 10:33:27 pm »
Really impressed with Ange. Just saw this on the Beeb;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66819015

Defo most charismatic guy to the enter the PL since Jurgen. I can see now why Celtic supporters were so bummed out to lose him, and then Rodgers being rehired must really rub salt in the wound.
Ange Postecoglou oozes class and it's a real pity there are not more managers like him.