Author Topic: Winning Title #19*  (Read 1309838 times)

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
Re: Chasing the Title
« Reply #4840 on: January 13, 2020, 03:49:49 pm »
Win all 8 home games and 4 out of the 9 away.
:D

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #4841 on: January 13, 2020, 03:52:09 pm »
Bollocks I’m at a wedding in Spain 31 May, but would love to see the PL parade for obvious reasons. So weirdly am I hoping we don’t make the UCL final?!
I’m glad you said “weirdly” because in a weird thread full of weirdness, THAT is the weirdest comment so far.

(I assume you were kidding, so will let you off) :D

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4842 on: January 13, 2020, 03:56:40 pm »
Jan 2011- 13th in the league and knocked out the cups by Northampton and United.

Jan 2020- Sat as European and World champions debating whether or not to celebrate winning the league title 4 months early.

Mind fuck!  :hally :rollseyes

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4843 on: January 13, 2020, 04:06:33 pm »
I feel sorry for you guys then. Fair enough but this must be a very stressful season with that mentality.
You’re not the first poster to say this, but I assure you there’s no need whatsoever to feel sorry for anyone not already celebrating. I’m certain we’d all describe this season so far as exhilarating, mind blowing, pure joy. Yep, stressful moments without doubt, but you’d have to be Buddha on Valium not to have experienced SOME stressful moments.

I’d actually feel sorry for YOU. For you, it’s already won. You’ve already celebrated I presume, but it must’ve been a bit, well, quiet...as most people are waiting to see. The day it’s mathematically done, Liverpool will go nuts, the mother of all parties, and you’ll be stood there going “I told you so...you should’ve come to my party in January, it was boss” ;D

Online MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #4844 on: January 13, 2020, 04:07:39 pm »
Jan 2011- 13th in the league and knocked out the cups by Northampton and United.

Jan 2020- Sat as European and World champions debating whether or not to celebrate winning the league title 4 months early.

Mind fuck!  :hally :rollseyes

If anything, it reinforces the fact that we've been subjected to shitty managers and owners in the PL era. We got left behind because of our own poor decisions - remind you of any current teams?

It really does feel like it's gone full circle now. We've landed the best manager in the world with fantastic, supportive owners whilst United are struggling to find a strategy with a shit manager and owners & it's all down to their own piss poor planning and decision making. Proper role reversal.

Offline PHIL.

• Anny Roader
  • Unbearable
« Reply #4845 on: January 13, 2020, 04:14:32 pm »

I’d actually feel sorry for YOU. For you, it’s already won. You’ve already celebrated I presume

Not at all.

I believe we have done enough to win it from here, yes. I haven't celebrated it yet. I'm just calm about it at this point and am not stressed about possibly dropping points to a certain team in January or February, for example.

I know it's going to be Christmas day on 25th December this year and believe I'll be around to see my birthday on 9th November. I don't celebrate until the day though.

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #4846 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »
When it's mathematically impossible.

Six games to go. We need one point from home games against Villa, Burnley and Chelsea with Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle as the aways...

And you still wouldn't say it's done?
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4847 on: January 13, 2020, 04:20:22 pm »
I can't let myself believe it's done yet.

However, as a Cty fan said to me this morning. For them to win it, we have to lose five games and they need to win the same five.  That is, of course, possible, but it seems highly unlikely.

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #4848 on: January 13, 2020, 04:22:31 pm »
The only thing I can conclude from the last 3 pages, is that it looks like people have had very productive afternoons in work today.
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4849 on: January 13, 2020, 04:26:34 pm »
I can't let myself believe it's done yet.

However, as a Cty fan said to me this morning. For them to win it, we have to lose five games and they need to win the same five.  That is, of course, possible, but it seems highly unlikely.

We only lost one game last season. A few draws soon add up in closing the gap.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline AmanShah21

• May be Frank Colombo. Never seen with Frank Colombo in the same room at the same time. You don’t have to be Sherlock Holmes, do you Miss Marple?
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the end of a storm is a golden sky!
« Reply #4850 on: January 13, 2020, 04:29:21 pm »
Six games to go. We need one point from home games against Villa, Burnley and Chelsea with Brighton, Arsenal and Newcastle as the aways...

Wouldn't it just make sense to wait one more game and it'll probably be actually done then?
I get that many of us thinks its done. I am 95% certain myself, and I am someone who doesn't believe in usperstitions except when it comes to football. Quietly confident, but we need to get this over the line. 30 years we've waited, whats another 12 games?

Offline PHIL.

• Anny Roader
  • Unbearable
« Reply #4851 on: January 13, 2020, 04:30:54 pm »
We only lost one game last season. A few draws soon add up in closing the gap.

Okay, we're 14 points clear with a game in hand.

If we draw, the most City can make up by winning their game is 2 points.

You're talking about 7 draws here where City win every single time. That's more than a few.

Which 7 of our remaining games do you see us drawing?

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4852 on: January 13, 2020, 04:31:31 pm »
It’s very likely that we will win the Premier League. But it is not done yet. Things are only done when they are done. When they are on the way to being done, they’re not done yet!

We are in a fantastic position. We can celebrate the position we are in if we want to. There’s a lot to like about it. But we cannot celebrate having won the league, because we haven’t done that yet.

The argument seems silly to me. It’s very likely, but it isn’t done yet.

Offline PHIL.

• Anny Roader
  • Unbearable
« Reply #4853 on: January 13, 2020, 04:32:43 pm »
Wouldn't it just make sense to wait one more game and it'll probably be actually done then?
I get that many of us thinks its done. I am 95% certain myself, and I am someone who doesn't believe in usperstitions except when it comes to football. Quietly confident, but we need to get this over the line. 30 years we've waited, whats another 12 games?

Well, the point is that it becomes ridiculous at some stage to have that mindset.

If we need 1 point from the last 6 games and you still won't say it's over, that's a serious lack of belief in the team.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4854 on: January 13, 2020, 04:33:24 pm »
Not at all.

I believe we have done enough to win it from here, yes. I haven't celebrated it yet. I'm just calm about it at this point and am not stressed about possibly dropping points to a certain team in January or February, for example.

I know it's going to be Christmas day on 25th December this year and believe I'll be around to see my birthday on 9th November. I don't celebrate until the day though.
Sounds like everyone’s in a similar (if not quite the exact same) boat then. So, as I say, no need to feel sorry for anyone. We’re sitting pretty with a very healthy lead at the top of the table. It’s really not a situation where anyone should feel sorry for their fellow supporters, is it?

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
  • ♪ ...and now Jürgen-a believe us... ♬
« Reply #4855 on: January 13, 2020, 04:36:52 pm »
I like it. I think the finish line should be 95 points though, which would make it look it even better for us.

Yeah. that makes more sense for this moment in time.  Back in a tick...
"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

"I told them if we score it will be different. We scored. It was different."
Rafael Benitez, 25 May 2005

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4856 on: January 13, 2020, 04:37:05 pm »
Isn't this just a semantic debate over how to express probability? Objectively it is highly probable/almost certain that we will win the league. Some express that by saying "it's over", others express that by saying "I'm confident we'll win the title but I don't want to tempt fate by saying it's over when there is still 17 games to play".

If each of us here was asked to express the probability that we will win the league as a percentage, we would all say pretty much the same thing (i.e. between 85% and 100%) which is a pretty narrow range and picking arguments over how that is expressed isn't particularly instructive. While I err on the side of not tempting fate, I don't have any issue with someone saying it's done. Virtually every Toffee and Manc I know says we have won it already.

The truly interesting question is whether and how long we might dominate English football. This is what our opponents fear most and unlike 01/02, 08/09 and 13/14, our success has an air of permanence to it.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:38:49 pm by Schmarn »

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4857 on: January 13, 2020, 04:38:16 pm »
I get that people don’t want to jinx things and I get that others think that’s ridiculous. Ultimately, if we don’t win it from here we’ll never hear the end of it from everyone else, regardless of whether we’ve been shouting “Champions” from the rooftops or whether we’ve been keeping our counsel.

I think we’re all desperate to wrap it up as soon as we can but the earliest the Premier League (don’t have pre 1992 stats sorry!) was won was 14th April so the reality is we’ll have to wait a while regardless even if at that point we will hopefully be needing a point from the last 5 or 6 like Alan mentioned. It’s weird that something we’ve wanted so badly for so lung can simultaneously be so close you feel you can touch it and yet so far away that even if this near perfect season keeps going the same way we have to wait at least 3 months to actually get this over the line.

There’s not a right way or a wrong way to be acting right now, I think we’re all in agreement the current lead is beyond our wildest dreams.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #4858 on: January 13, 2020, 04:40:26 pm »
Okay, we're 14 points clear with a game in hand.

If we draw, the most City can make up by winning their game is 2 points.

You're talking about 7 draws here where City win every single time. That's more than a few.

Which 7 of our remaining games do you see us drawing?

Well I can't see us going unbeaten anyway to be honest but there's plenty of tough games to go. We've done so well to win all these games (an unbelievable achievement) but we could easily have drawn half of the games we have won.  Very fine margins. We haven't had many Bournemouth type games where we could relax.

If City slip up a few times then we'll be fine and we should be anyway but to go out and win another dozen games is no small order.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4859 on: January 13, 2020, 04:43:25 pm »
Sorry, but I genuinely believe the only questions now are whether we can get 101 points and/or finish unbeaten.

If we do get to the Etihad still unbeaten, we will almost certainly have the league won by then so it will be entirely about them trying to stop us acheiving those other two things.

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4860 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:07 pm »
400m = 95 points

"I said to the boys before the game it would be impossible. But because it’s you, I say we have a chance."
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

Offline Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #4861 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:08 pm »
Craig Pawson is the ref for our game against United

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4862 on: January 13, 2020, 04:45:20 pm »
We could have drawn half the games we've won? Jesus christ almighty

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #4863 on: January 13, 2020, 04:49:41 pm »
Surprised at this actually:

Liverpool were hardly watertight in the final 20 minutes against Tottenham, but they had already won the game psychologically by persuading Jose Mourinho that he must sit back for the first 60 minutes.

It is that now-established psychological advantage that is making Liverpool’s defensive job easier, because they possess the defensive excellence to deal with most short-term attacking assaults. Jurgen Klopp’s team have now kept six clean sheets in a row in the Premier League for the first time in over 13 years. They’re actually getting stronger, not weaker.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:56:08 pm by the_red_pill »
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4864 on: January 13, 2020, 04:50:12 pm »

Nope. That doesn't mean i'm pessimistic about it. I'm quietly confident.

If there's one thing i've learnt supporting Liverpool it's that we never do things the easy way, i'll celebrate when it's over.

Again it doesn't mean i'm not enjoying the ride or sad or poo pooing anything. The celebration however will come when we've won the league.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 04:51:46 pm by Chakan »

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4865 on: January 13, 2020, 04:52:50 pm »
I love that we’re expressing it as an athletics race now :lmao

Did I see tennis earlier too?

Offline JC the Messiah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4866 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:00 pm »
I love that we’re expressing it as an athletics race now :lmao

Did I see tennis earlier too?

Wait till I map it on to the London Marathon course... :D
Jürgen Klopp, 7 May 2019

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4867 on: January 13, 2020, 04:54:19 pm »
Surprised at this actually:

All with very notable absentees in defensive positions as well.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4868 on: January 13, 2020, 04:55:29 pm »
;D

Boat race?

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #4869 on: January 13, 2020, 04:59:29 pm »

I’d say we’re at Canary Wharf while City are only just crossing Tower Bridge.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4870 on: January 13, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »
Some utter nonsense on here. We have a game in hand, so even if they get it down to 11, we win our games and it's back to 14.

They've been unable to stay consistent this year for various reasons. They have tougher games to play as well. Defensively they're worse than they have in the last two years, which is why they've dropped all the points they have.

That hasn't changed.

If the gap was 30 points some of you would still be shitting it.

Isnt it two games in hand if City get it down to 11 points?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4871 on: January 13, 2020, 05:02:23 pm »
;D

Boat race?

Make it the Grand National, so we can picture Pep with a mouthful of hedge

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4872 on: January 13, 2020, 05:07:00 pm »
Make it the Grand National, so we can picture Pep with a mouthful of hedge
;D

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4873 on: January 13, 2020, 05:08:27 pm »
I guess Klopp hasn't finished turning doubters into believers then.
Nobody in this thread is a doubter, everyone does believe we'll win the league, they absolutely believe it. They just won't say "it's done" because it isn't yet :)

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4874 on: January 13, 2020, 05:09:05 pm »
Isnt it two games in hand if City get it down to 11 points?

Yes you're right.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4875 on: January 13, 2020, 05:17:41 pm »

If we're doing crossover sports analogies then here's my offering from the 2019 title game between
Guardiola (white) v Klopp (black).

Black to play

Offline Perham

• Effes v2.0 - RAWK's Official Dog Snogger!
  • Legacy Fan
  • All is well
« Reply #4876 on: January 13, 2020, 05:25:17 pm »
Last season at this point I was stressing out about this almost daily. I'd be comparing ours and city's fixture lists all the time and I'd worry about it constantly whether we'd get over the line. This year I'm much more calm. That isn't complacency or even thinking it's over but I know that history is on our side as I doubt anyone has ever messed it up from this position. Also, ironically, one of the reasons I'm so calm is that I'm almost certain that none of the squad have the same attitude as I do. They don't think it's done and will constantly have a drive to achieve the title win until it's mathematically certain. I have faith in our mentality monsters.

That being said, if there are people who are still intensely worried about the title race, who am I to tell them not to be like that. Everyone's different and will have different ways of enjoying this incredible team who we're lucky to be able to support each week. The only thing I'd advice is to not be complacent. I don't remember the days when Liverpool dominated and have been consistently let down by this club over the years. Disappointment and false dawns were a regular experience for me, so much so that I become used to it over time. If you'd have asked me then why I still kept hope in this club and went through all of that I might have said that it's in hope that one day I'll be able to see a team which allows me to put past disappointments behind me as a football fan. These are the days and if you ever catch yourself feeling like this is normal, pinch yourself and remind yourself that you witnessing history before your eyes every time the reds take to the field.

This is only the beginning in my opinion. I believe that we'll win the league this season but I think the club is set up for constant success afterwards and we'll see more league titles and European cups in the future. I always say that football's about the journey more than the destination. If we didn't have Hodgson we wouldn't appreciate the magnificence of Klopp. If we didn't have H&G, we wouldn't appreciate the way the club is run now. We've seen some incredible games along the way but if football is about the journey then we're nearing in our destination. There's no club that does journeys and stories like this one and we'll celebrate even more wildly once we've finally reached the holy grail of the league title.

Football works in cycles and good things, just like bad things, don't last forever. It might feel like this incredible feeling we have about football right now will never go away but if the good times go away, I just hope that I'll look back on it and say that I appreciated it to it's fullest. This is the first time in my life that I can say that I'm glad that I'm alive right now at this point in our club's history because this could be the best team we've ever had. I hope to never take that fact for granted.
if I came home to allison in bed with my wife I'd ask him to phone Virgil to see if he wanted to pop round too.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #4877 on: January 13, 2020, 05:26:40 pm »
I guess Klopp hasn't finished turning doubters into believers then.

There's a huge difference between saying we've won the league and thinking we'll win the league.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4878 on: January 13, 2020, 05:33:10 pm »
Jurgen and the team worry so we don't have to. :)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Ocean Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What doesn't kill you, makes you...stranger!!!
« Reply #4879 on: January 13, 2020, 05:37:19 pm »
The title race is over. The bookies have us at 1/50 to win the Premier League. We have lost just 1 league game in 50 odd league games. In the last 90 points available we have picked up 88 points. We need drop 17 points in 17 games and for city to win all of them to draw level with us. We only dropped 17 points in the whole of last season.  And we have only dropped 2 points so far this season 61 out of a possible 63 points. The last time we failed to score in the league was 3rd march 0-0 against everton. Forget the maths. The title race is over basically.