Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4161961 times)

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #62400 on: February 23, 2020, 05:25:18 pm »
Has boxing always had this many pre-agreed rematch/mandatory defense clauses?

As a massive casual, it seems to sometimes get in the way of, or at least delay, bouts that people want to see.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62401 on: February 23, 2020, 05:28:41 pm »
Mandatory defenses have always been there ever since the  boxing organisations were created.  You have to have a ranking of who's #1,#2 contenders etc

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #62402 on: February 23, 2020, 05:29:02 pm »
Dillion Whyte was reinstated as the WBC #1 contender and has been for the last 3 years. He's definitely getting a shot at Fury at some point. Homecoming fight perhaps?

Can't see it happening.

Think Whyte would stick a nut on Hearn if he sorted out a Fury V AJ fight before getting him a shot at a title.

Offline Felch Aid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62403 on: February 23, 2020, 05:31:46 pm »
It's a difficult fight to call IF it happens. Fury is building a career in the USA and I see a third Wilder fight first before stupid belt and promotional nonsense takes over and nothing happens.
Arguably you can see Whyte getting another chance.

Still think Joshua has explosive power and combinations and is arguably a lot quicker than Wilder. Think AJ is a bit wiser after the Ruiz fight.

Just have a feeling we ain't seeing this year unless the.purse is ridiculous.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62404 on: February 23, 2020, 05:45:32 pm »
Can't see Fury sticking around for much longer, he's said before he just wants the AJ fight and he's done. If Wilder takes the third fight, Whyte should go after Usyk. Hearn needs to announce the Joshua v Pulev fight already, taking ages!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62405 on: February 23, 2020, 05:45:33 pm »
Pretty sure WBC basically said Whyte wouldn’t be fighting for the belt until Spring 2021. So that gives them a full year to do fight number 3 of AJ.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62406 on: February 23, 2020, 05:46:25 pm »
For me Joshua has a bog standard straight jab and sometimes a power jab. Fury has a harassing jab that he uses in different ways, sometimes as a distraction, or sometimes to pressure and move his opponent to offset them. I would also say Fury tends to telegraph his jab though with an awkward stutter step.  I think the question is who uses the jab better for what? Fury is better at using the jab to manipulate space between fighters which is what he wants to do. AJ just throws his jab straight and looks for a right cross left hook or uppercut, or to close the distance and clinch or keep his opponent off.

As for footwork they are both clumsy and awkward but Fury uses all angles and planes of motion. AJ goes forward or back.

Actually meant Wilder and not Fury in that bolded bit, but yeah good post. I think with AJs jab he has the ability to double or triple it up which makes it really hard to deal with. Did it loads in early rounds against Wlad from memory.

Just think Joshua has much more options that Wilder has. He probably wins the shootout against Fury, or he could box well off the back foot like against Ruiz. Or he could come in 3 stone heavier than Wilder did and push Fury back. Would be a fascinating fight I think.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62407 on: February 23, 2020, 06:00:24 pm »
We forget with AJ he has an accomplished amateur background. He's got the basics basically.   ;D World and Olympic amateur champion has given him a solid base to start with. Wilder was never that.  He was just blessed with freakish power.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62408 on: February 23, 2020, 06:16:30 pm »
Pretty sure WBC basically said Whyte wouldn’t be fighting for the belt until Spring 2021. So that gives them a full year to do fight number 3 of AJ.

The contract from Wilder v Fury was signed for Whyte got the green light.

Hearns plan before yesterday was:

AJ V Pulev
Usek v chisora
Whye V Povetkin

I can see Wilder taking the Fury 3rd fight and just watch what happens around him.

If Wilder doesn't want it I can see him fighting a Parker before fighting AJ in December if AJ beats Pulev.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:19:06 pm by Fordy »

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62409 on: February 23, 2020, 06:21:56 pm »
Would quite like to see Wilder v Parker to be honest.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62410 on: February 23, 2020, 06:22:35 pm »
Would quite like to see Wilder v Parker to be honest.

You could now Wilder might go back to fighting out in clubs.  ;D

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62411 on: February 23, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »
You could now Wilder might go back to fighting out in clubs.  ;D

Was he ever fighting at that level though? Parker would be the best name on Wilder's CV I reckon. Just ahead of big Audley ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 06:32:35 pm by Lusty »

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62412 on: February 23, 2020, 06:31:49 pm »
Nah just messing with the big man. ;D

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62413 on: February 23, 2020, 06:36:37 pm »
I don't really like the big goon but that was the most enjoyable and exciting fight I've watched in ages,Wilder looked dead on his feet after the 2nd and from the 3rd on I feared for his safety.

Fury will destroy AJ.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #62414 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:06 pm »
Have to admire the groundwork Fordy is putting in, ready for his ‘AJ is a coward and is ducking Fury’ shouts in a couple of weeks.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62415 on: February 23, 2020, 06:57:21 pm »
Have to admire the groundwork Fordy is putting in, ready for his ‘AJ is a coward and is ducking Fury’ shouts in a couple of weeks.

It is all on what Wilder does now if he signs then AJ will fight Pulev.

If Wilder doesn’t sign then imo the boxing world has to make the fight happen AJ v Fury their would be no excuse to not do it.

The biggest loser in all of this is Whyte who has been completely screwed over by the WBC.

There is some good fights out there this year in the HW division.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62416 on: February 23, 2020, 07:59:03 pm »

Thanks mate..

Anyone seen Amir Khan? Is he still in hiding from Brook?

AJ joining him soon.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62417 on: February 23, 2020, 08:00:43 pm »
It is all on what Wilder does now if he signs then AJ will fight Pulev.

If Wilder doesn’t sign then imo the boxing world has to make the fight happen AJ v Fury their would be no excuse to not do it.

The biggest loser in all of this is Whyte who has been completely screwed over by the WBC.

There is some good fights out there this year in the HW division.

Whyte needs to leave Hearn.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62418 on: February 23, 2020, 08:02:16 pm »
For who? In the Uk nowadays it's Hearn or Warren and Warren is has virtually nobody now.  ;D

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62419 on: February 23, 2020, 08:23:07 pm »
Whyte needs to leave Hearn.

Well he isn’t happy with Eddie going by his tweet today.

He might be well paid at Matchroom which is possibly the only thing keeping him there.

His only other option is to go outside of the UK as Warren will put Fury first and Eddie will put Joshua first as they are the cash cows.

Offline Medellin

• Self-confessed daft meff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sound
« Reply #62420 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:15 pm »
4-1 for the Fury KO  :D
Support the team,Trust & Believe.

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62421 on: February 23, 2020, 09:02:45 pm »
For who? In the Uk nowadays it's Hearn or Warren and Warren is has virtually nobody now;D

Apart from the big one  ;)

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62422 on: February 23, 2020, 09:12:14 pm »
He's a puppet, Bob Arum is his actual promoter these days.  :P

Online jizzspunk

• Cumming soon. Or going. Depends how 'real' it gets. #livinginrealism
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62423 on: February 23, 2020, 09:53:38 pm »
What would you like to see next?

Wilder v Ruiz
Fury v Whyte
AJ v Mandatory...
Then the unification

according to 24/7 I will be scrambling round for tickets on the exchange all season #STH #19awayclub

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62424 on: February 23, 2020, 10:11:04 pm »

Wilder v Ruiz
Fury v Whyte
AJ v Mandatory...
Then the unification

Fury v AJ but whilst Wilder would be crazy not to trigger the rematch,he'd also be crazy to trigger it.

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #62425 on: February 23, 2020, 10:22:46 pm »
Perfect performance from Fury and,on that form, there's nobody out there can touch him. He can be a great if he wants it.

Offline Fordy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62426 on: February 23, 2020, 10:28:32 pm »
Perfect performance from Fury and,on that form, there's nobody out there can touch him. He can be a great if he wants it.

He's retiring in 2 years he says.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62427 on: February 23, 2020, 10:37:29 pm »
There's no point of Wilder/Fury 3. He got his arse handed to him in both fights against Fury.

This. Wilder would be daft. He’ll just be known for being beaten three times in a row by Fury (we all know Fury won the first fight if scored fairly).
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62428 on: February 23, 2020, 10:40:38 pm »
He's retiring in 2 years he says.

2 fights he said.

But I think he needs to think short term to maintain focus on the next fight.

Who knows.. he has nothing to prove now really except for fighting AJ.

Offline Garry_LFC

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #62429 on: February 23, 2020, 10:46:54 pm »
Wilder had his heart beaten out of him last night, wouldn’t be surprised if he refuses the rematch and fights a couple of puddings before going back in the big time. Although at 35 time is running out so it’ll be interesting. I don’t want to see it again personally.

We all want AJ-Fury this year. The promotors, Sky and BT, Dazn and ESPN, everyone, all need to give the fans the biggest fight, the biggest sporting event this country has ever seen. Saudi will be the front runners with the cash they can provide but we need this at Wembley.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #62430 on: February 23, 2020, 10:49:12 pm »
Amazing how someone can say the most disgusting things and then everyone forgets about it....

What short memories people have.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62431 on: February 23, 2020, 10:52:54 pm »
Nah he's still a dickhead who doped.  ;D

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #62432 on: February 23, 2020, 11:15:59 pm »
Amazing how someone can say the most disgusting things and then everyone forgets about it....

Nah , both these whoppers have have said some ignorant shit in the past but i believe in freedom of speech.

Offline Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62433 on: February 23, 2020, 11:19:08 pm »

It’s a pantomime. An act. E.g. Wilder has said he wants a (dead) body on his record. No chance he actually meant it. Best to judge people by deeds not words. For example, Mike Tyson is scum because he raped someone not cos he talked shit.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62434 on: February 23, 2020, 11:29:39 pm »
Nah , both these whoppers have have said some ignorant shit in the past but i believe in freedom of speech.

Hate speech as well it seems. (Fury I'm talking about)

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62435 on: February 23, 2020, 11:40:41 pm »

Wilder v Ruiz
Fury v Whyte
AJ v Mandatory...
Then the unification
Usyk says hi.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62436 on: February 24, 2020, 12:03:38 am »
Usyk as a Heavyweight we just don't know. The top guys are Super Heavies and he'd be considered just a smallish Heavy. we don't  know if he can take a full force of a legit heavyweight fighter yet.

Offline Diomedieocre

• Well-dressed meat 'n veg.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Blow me, fuckface.
« Reply #62437 on: February 24, 2020, 12:51:26 am »
Hate speech as well it seems. (Fury I'm talking about)

Just because i think he has the right to say what he wants, it doesn't mean that i agree with him.

I didnt give it any credence at the time...nor do i now. He's just a boxer at the end of the day, its not like he's getting invites to policy defining think tanks left n right is it.

Censorship is a tricky subject...i understand people feel offended over many issues but where do we stop?. Dont answer its off topic and im ready for bed...goodnight mate.

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #62438 on: February 24, 2020, 07:56:25 am »
All those "Fury has a weak punch" opinions seem to have dried up overnight  :D

Online Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62439 on: February 24, 2020, 08:06:38 am »
All those "Fury has a weak punch" opinions seem to have dried up overnight  :D

He does. He just happened to hit Wilder with one punch in a place that sent him to cuckoo land the rest of the fight.
I could punch someone in that part of the head and do the same. Doesn't mean I could mix it with Tyson.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT