Author Topic: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States  (Read 172332 times)

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The Joe Biden Presidency Thread - 46th President of the United States
« Reply #320 on: January 22, 2021, 06:35:42 pm »
A quick google search turned this up:
Trump's lackies routinely ignored subpoenas during his term, and with Republicans controlling so many committees it wasn't practical for the Democrats to pursue non-compliance.  Whether they could, or would be willing to, run interference for Trump if he chose to ignore a summons, and what the consequences might be, remain to be seen.

But yes, it's definitely a federal crime to lie under oath; it's one of the crimes Mike Flynn was done for, amongst other things, I believe. (He was certainly done for lying to the FBI.)  Trump likes like you or I sweat, so getting him on the stand would be a glorious popcorn moment.
Thanks, never knew Trump allies ignored subpoenas, I was thinking of Cummings when he refused to attend the HOC select committee.
Video you posted the other day showed Intelligence/security bosses Rodgers+ Coates refusing to answer a question over Trumps involvement in Russian interference in 2016 election. you can't get away with this in a court of law so wasn't taking it for granted, was thinking of Flynn and whether this impeachment trial has different powers.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Alan_X

• WUM. 'twatito' - The Cat Herding Firm But Fair Voice Of Reason (Except when he's got a plank up his arse). Gimme some skin, priest! Has a general dislike for Elijah Wood. Clearly cannot fill even a thong! RAWK Resident Muppet. Has a crush o
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on you fucking red men!!!
  • Super Title: This is super!
« Reply #321 on: January 22, 2021, 07:13:36 pm »
Just sitting here watching the new press secretary Jen Psaki giving a press briefing. Competent, intelligent, on top of her brief... what a refreshing change.
Sid Lowe (@sidlowe)
09/03/2011 08:04
Give a man a mask and he will tell the truth, Give a man a user name and he will act like a total twat.
Its all about winning shiny things.

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #322 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:20 pm »
We are going to need some sort of coping mechanism, like a Buddhist mantra, to deal with the hypocrisy of the Republicans and right-wing commentators now. All these calls for unity and so on. And the refusal to admit what any right-minded person can see, that we now have an administration that is made up of competent, well-intentioned adults and is actually effective at governing.

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #323 on: January 22, 2021, 07:46:04 pm »
Thanks, never knew Trump allies ignored subpoenas, I was thinking of Cummings when he refused to attend the HOC select committee.
Video you posted the other day showed Intelligence/security bosses Rodgers+ Coates refusing to answer a question over Trumps involvement in Russian interference in 2016 election. you can't get away with this in a court of law so wasn't taking it for granted, was thinking of Flynn and whether this impeachment trial has different powers.

Yeah, I'm not so sure Trump's people will be so keen to ignore subpoenas now that places like the DoJ aren't under the Orange One's tiny thumb. Fucking hell, imagine them getting Miller up there.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #324 on: January 22, 2021, 07:51:01 pm »
Quick question, does it require the republicans to actively hand over power?

Anyone?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #325 on: January 22, 2021, 07:53:14 pm »
Yeah, I'm not so sure Trump's people will be so keen to ignore subpoenas now that places like the DoJ aren't under the Orange One's tiny thumb. Fucking hell, imagine them getting Miller up there.
That's a very good point, I couldn't see how the Senate had any power to chose who gets prosecuted but as you say Trump had control over the AG etc. a nods as good as a wink.
Anyway if Trump can refuse to attend the Senate trial then am sure he will.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #326 on: January 22, 2021, 07:57:36 pm »
Anyone?
Not sure what you are asking. Dems control the Executive Branch, House and only currently the senate floor(they need an agreement for committees and Mitch is asking for the filibuster to be included in it)

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #327 on: January 22, 2021, 08:03:14 pm »
Watching the early Biden moves to take advantage of Dem control of the legislature really is elections having consequences. Legislation to replace reliance on Roe vs Wade case law coming. Intention to replicate a form of universal child support as both a pandemic relief measure and to lift 50% of American kids out of poverty. And then the raft of stuff he can do just from being President with the climate agreements and the pandemic planning. Quite the contrast to the dysfunction of the past few years even allowing for the post-inauguration honeymoon.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #328 on: January 22, 2021, 08:05:24 pm »
That's a very good point, I couldn't see how the Senate had any power to chose who gets prosecuted but as you say Trump had control over the AG etc. a nods as good as a wink.
Anyway if Trump can refuse to attend the Senate trial then am sure he will.

That's the funny thing for me.  The man has such an ego and is so utterly convinced he can talk himself out of anything, he would probably attend the hearing.  Whatever lawyers he gets will probably beg him not to, but he's notorious for ignoring advice.

For that reason any Republican who doesn't want to see Trump convicted will fight tooth and nail to ensure he doesn't have to be called in to testify.  I don't know if they can prevent it though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #329 on: January 22, 2021, 08:12:33 pm »
Not sure what you are asking. Dems control the Executive Branch, House and only currently the senate floor( they need an agreement for committees and Mitch is asking for the filibuster to be included in it)

You lost me there, agreement for committees on what?

Sorry not too clued up on the senate.

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #330 on: January 22, 2021, 08:15:56 pm »
I have a question for people that know this stuff.

Regarding the filibuster, when exactly can it be invoked/used? does it depend on the subject matter of a certain law?

I've read too many pieces now that say the GOP can still block everything with the filibuster. If that's so, doesn't that make the Ossoff/Warnock elections quite unconsequential? are there things that can be done with a simple majority, where filibuster can't be used?

Also, how exactly can democrats even "end" the filibuster (another thing i've read as part of the "to do" list of democrats right now), in any way, if they don't have 2/3rds of the senate right now?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 08:20:22 pm by The 1989 Brit Awards »

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #331 on: January 22, 2021, 08:19:20 pm »
That's the funny thing for me.  The man has such an ego and is so utterly convinced he can talk himself out of anything, he would probably attend the hearing.  Whatever lawyers he gets will probably beg him not to, but he's notorious for ignoring advice.

For that reason any Republican who doesn't want to see Trump convicted will fight tooth and nail to ensure he doesn't have to be called in to testify.  I don't know if they can prevent it though.
Or he can take sanctuary in his spiritual homeland, Russia.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #332 on: January 22, 2021, 08:38:07 pm »
I have a question for people that know this stuff.

Regarding the filibuster, when exactly can it be invoked/used? does it depend on the subject matter of a certain law?

I've read too many pieces now that say the GOP can still block everything with the filibuster. If that's so, doesn't that make the Ossoff/Warnock elections quite unconsequential? are there things that can be done with a simple majority, where filibuster can't be used?

Also, how exactly can democrats even "end" the filibuster (another thing i've read as part of the "to do" list of democrats right now), in any way, if they don't have 2/3rds of the senate right now?

Two exceptions to the filibuster have been put through in the past decade so the debate over nominations for judges and administration officials can now be moved to a vote by a simple majority rather than needing the 60 votes for a supermajority.

I think a lot of your other questions are covered by a primer from the Brookings Institution here: https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/what-is-the-senate-filibuster-and-what-would-it-take-to-eliminate-it/
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline The 1989 Brit Awards

• He may be of thome aththithtanthe if there ith a thudden kwaithith!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #333 on: January 22, 2021, 08:49:57 pm »
Thanks!

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #334 on: January 22, 2021, 08:59:19 pm »
I'm not too clued up on the filibuster myself.  I know Trump wanted it gone, and both McConnell and Schumer opposed it; in many cases it's the only way the opposition can wield any kind of influence over legislation.

However, the Democrats don't weaponise it the way the Republicans do; and when you have McConnell basically flushing the legislation passed to them to the house down the toilet, then using the filibuster becomes moot.  Most legislation never made it to the floor anyway.

Between the supermajority and the filibuster, the Senate is pretty much crocked.  One or the the other, at the very least, needs to go.

Popcorn's Art

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #335 on: January 22, 2021, 09:10:45 pm »

That certainly applied when he was President, he seems to have dismissed all legal advice on Ukraine, Russia, it's as if he thought he was untouchable, I still find it hard to believe how he never considered a time would come when he had no control over any investigation, I still think he will refuse to testify if he can get away with it though, he knows the whole ball games changed. I hope am wrong. would pay to see him grilled next week.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #336 on: January 22, 2021, 09:31:21 pm »
You lost me there, agreement for committees on what?

Sorry not too clued up on the senate.
The Senate makes it own rules basically and at the start of each congress they agree on the number of members on the committee. The Congress started with a Senate of 51-48 GOP then moved to 51-47 After Harris resigned then 50-50 After GA Senators and Padilla where sworn in. Basically Schumer wants 2001 agreement which is even number of members on the committee and if it tie it can go to the floor, Dems are chairman. Mitch is asking in the agreement to including making sure the dems dont kill rule 22(60 votes to end debate aka the Filibuster) and Schumer not agreeing to that.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #337 on: January 22, 2021, 09:45:03 pm »
That certainly applied when he was President, he seems to have dismissed all legal advice on Ukraine, Russia, it's as if he thought he was untouchable, I still find it hard to believe how he never considered a time would come when he had no control over any investigation, I still think he will refuse to testify if he can get away with it though, he knows the whole ball games changed. I hope am wrong. would pay to see him grilled next week.

Well as well have all said, Trump is incapable of long term, strategic planning.  He is the epitome of instant gratification. He almost certainly never had a post election plan because he never planned on losing, and his tricks had never failed him in the past. Can't imagine how he is resorting to delusion right now to cope with reality.

I was mulling over this yesterday.  Trump defines "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".  He literally had the Republican party in the palm of his hand, defeat or no defeat.  All he had to do was grudgingly accept the defeat in an official capacity, but with a nod and wink say he would carry on the fight.  He could have continued to grift his supporters, and the GOP would have been helpless to oppose him.

But he threw it all away, probably because of his legal exposure in the event of an election defeat. He actually gambled he could depose the government and stay in power long enough to avoid prosecution.  Plus, he didn't want to leave a loser. In losing that gamble he has potentially mired himself in legal quicksand. Here's hoping he has.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #338 on: January 22, 2021, 09:49:51 pm »
The Senate makes it own rules basically and at the start of each congress they agree on the number of members on the committee. The Congress started with a Senate of 51-48 GOP then moved to 51-47 After Harris resigned then 50-50 After GA Senators and Padilla where sworn in. Basically Schumer wants 2001 agreement which is even number of members on the committee and if it tie it can go to the floor, Dems are chairman. Mitch is asking in the agreement to including making sure the dems dont kill rule 22(60 votes to end debate aka the Filibuster) and Schumer not agreeing to that.

Why's he not agreeing to that? Surely the Dems will vote party lines so that there will never be 60 votes to kill a debate?

Also it's bloody stupid the way it works.

Offline ShakaHislop

• Shocktrooper of the Vinny Cable Nasties
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2021, 09:58:18 pm »
Why's he not agreeing to that? Surely the Dems will vote party lines so that there will never be 60 votes to kill a debate?

Schumer's doing the right thing by not agreeing to it.

The filibuster will allow Republicans to drag out proceedings on bills until the clock runs out (like at the end of a Congressional session). The 60 votes are needed to stop that timewasting and bring the proceedings to a conclusion.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #340 on: January 22, 2021, 10:01:57 pm »
Schumer's doing the right thing by not agreeing to it.

The filibuster will allow Republicans to drag out proceedings on bills until the clock runs out (like at the end of a Congressional session). The 60 votes are needed to stop that timewasting and bring the proceedings to a conclusion.

I'm so confused.

So why didn't the Dems use it when the republicans had control of the senate?

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #341 on: January 22, 2021, 10:07:55 pm »

It because Biden and Schumer know it will be hard to get 10 GOP members on board and If he has the filibuster he can use it to kill legislation, Like HR1(democracy reforms), Hr4(John Lewis Voting Rights act), Any Gun Control legislation, Making DC and Puerto Rico States(which would likely give Dems 4 Seats in the senate). Also More Covid Relief, an Immigration Plan, rebalancing the courts, $15 Min Wage, etc. Im not going to include ACA stuff bc there is another way to do that for them.
Obv you need every single Dem Senator to agree and Schumer probably has the majority of caucus on board but not everybody yet like Joe Manchin.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #342 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:16 pm »
I'm so confused.

Because McConnell didn't allow almost any legislation to come to the floor?

Popcorn's Art

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #343 on: January 22, 2021, 10:09:33 pm »
I'm so confused.

For what Legislation was the GOP proposing that was major and had 50+ votes. Tax cuts they did it though reconciliation, they tried to kill the ACA though it but that only had 49 votes.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #344 on: January 22, 2021, 10:11:27 pm »
Humerous sidebar - only Evangelion fans will get this reference.

Popcorn's Art

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #345 on: January 22, 2021, 10:14:08 pm »

Our legislative system was designed to prevent the tyranny of the majority.

The inadvertent result was a tyranny of the minority, because the filibuster was, perhaps naively, not intended to prevent all governing by party lines, as McConnell has done.
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #346 on: January 22, 2021, 10:20:38 pm »
Well as well have all said, Trump is incapable of long term, strategic planning.  He is the epitome of instant gratification. He almost certainly never had a post election plan because he never planned on losing, and his tricks had never failed him in the past. Can't imagine how he is resorting to delusion right now to cope with reality.

I was mulling over this yesterday.  Trump defines "bird in the hand is worth two in the bush".  He literally had the Republican party in the palm of his hand, defeat or no defeat.  All he had to do was grudgingly accept the defeat in an official capacity, but with a nod and wink say he would carry on the fight.  He could have continued to grift his supporters, and the GOP would have been helpless to oppose him.

But he threw it all away, probably because of his legal exposure in the event of an election defeat. He actually gambled he could depose the government and stay in power long enough to avoid prosecution.  Plus, he didn't want to leave a loser. In losing that gamble he has potentially mired himself in legal quicksand. Here's hoping he has.
Yeah, I think enough information's come out to help people form opinions on Trumps last few months, the fact he phoned Republican Governors asking them cough cough to comit a criminal offense by finding enough votes for him to win the State shows he did actually believe he could get the election result overturned to win. I don't put this all down to just wanting to be President,like yourself he knew losing meant facing accountability on so many cases in court, ive added it up to 5 different cases at the mo and could be more who knows. it's not just himself he's worried about, he's dropped his family in it as well. denial must be his only way of coping right now.
I doubt he will be found guilty myself and I imagine many Republican Senators are hoping the courts do the job they are too scared to do. imo, there are a few doomed Republican Senators who will loose their seats when up for re-election whatever happens. will be delighted if Cruz+Hawley and others are shown the door by many decent Republican/floating voters who were more likely to vote Republican.
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #347 on: January 22, 2021, 10:21:21 pm »
Ok so I read it correctly now that the dems need 60 votes to end the debate not the republicans, ok that makes more sense.

Still bloody stupid the way it runs.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #348 on: January 22, 2021, 10:35:17 pm »
Yeah, I think enough information's come out to help people form opinions on Trumps last few months, the fact he phoned Republican Governors asking them cough cough to comit a criminal offense by finding enough votes for him to win the State shows he did actually believe he could get the election result overturned to win. I don't put this all down to just wanting to be President, like yourself he knew losing meant facing accountability on so many cases in court, ive added it up to 5 different cases at the mo and could be more who knows. it's not just himself he's worried about, he's dropped his family in it as well. denial must be his only way of coping right now.
I doubt he will be found guilty myself and I imagine many Republican Senators are hoping the courts do the job they are too scared to do. imo, there are a few doomed Republican Senators who will loose their seats when up for re-election whatever happens. will be delighted if Cruz+Hawley and others are shown the door by many decent Republican/floating voters who were more likely to vote Republican.

It's really tough to call.  Without social media, Trump cannot marshal and mobilise his base the way he once did.  He can use proxies, like his kids; and he still has allies willing to go on TV and represent him.  But it's not the same.  Fox is already moving on from Trump to attacking Biden.  I'm sure they will get back to him, but it might not be for several weeks, or even months.  The fallout from the impeachment is still to settle.  Likely his first post presidential interview will come from the likes of OAN.

The lack of twitter will slowly but surely asphyxiate Trump.  Beyond rallies he currently has no way to influence Republican voters.  And a Senate conviction will almost certainly prevent him from running for office again, so there's less chance of Republicans being primaried.

The court cases involving trying to interfere with the Georgia election, SDNY (to name but two) etc, still have to follow impeachment, so The Donald's troubles are barely beginning.  However, I wont be surprised to see Cruz and Hawley escape much more than a rap on the knuckles.  I don't think there's any appetite within the Republican party to see them ejected.

Popcorn's Art

Offline 12C

• aka 54F
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • “The Ribbons are Red”
« Reply #349 on: January 22, 2021, 10:55:43 pm »

Think Cummings think Bannon.

What are political conventions to fascists and Neo nazis?
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us."

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2021, 11:02:16 pm »
Biden gets approval for the first black Secretary of Defence with Lloyd Austin.

Voting split 93-2

The 2 against.

Mike Lee (R - Utah)
Criticized the removal of Confederate monuments, which he described as "a good lasting reminder to the American people about how we can heal in spite of our differences and even after conflict". He also criticized The 1619 Project of the New York Times, which highlighted the role of slavery in the early history of the United States. In December 2020, Lee's objection stopped funding for national museums covering the history of women in America and Latino Americans, which he described as divisive.

Josh Hawley (R - Missouri)
First senator to object to the certification of Joe Biden's victory in the 2020 presidential election; he was criticized for promoting the baseless conspiracy theory that the 2020 presidential election was stolen from Donald Trump. On the day when the electoral votes were being tallied, Hawley raised a clenched fist in solidarity with pro-Trump protesters demonstrating outside the U.S. Capitol.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2021, 11:10:57 pm »
The U.S. media has still not learned a damn thing. Making a big deal over Biden owning a Rolex and a Peloton bike. Did they forget who just left?

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2021, 11:28:43 pm »
It's really tough to call.  Without social media, Trump cannot marshal and mobilise his base the way he once did.  He can use proxies, like his kids; and he still has allies willing to go on TV and represent him.  But it's not the same.  Fox is already moving on from Trump to attacking Biden.  I'm sure they will get back to him, but it might not be for several weeks, or even months.  The fallout from the impeachment is still to settle.  Likely his first post presidential interview will come from the likes of OAN.

The lack of twitter will slowly but surely asphyxiate Trump.  Beyond rallies he currently has no way to influence Republican voters.  And a Senate conviction will almost certainly prevent him from running for office again, so there's less chance of Republicans being primaried.

The court cases involving trying to interfere with the Georgia election, SDNY (to name but two) etc, still have to follow impeachment, so The Donald's troubles are barely beginning.  However, I wont be surprised to see Cruz and Hawley escape much more than a rap on the knuckles.  I don't think there's any appetite within the Republican party to see them ejected.
I was thinking of Trump and Hawley loosing their seat when up for re-election, Cruz, a hundred thousand swing isn't that much when your talking 8.5 mill vote.
Hawleys. 70.000 swing with millions of voters, maybe wishful thinking but I think they will loose their seats. already got them penciled in for a decent bet.
Yep, I imagine many Trump supporters are losing their faith as well, Trump was supposed to be different, calling all those rioters fine people only to sell them out as not true Trump supporters the following day when it suited him, add that to the sobering realty check of Trump rioters arguing they were gullible idiots for doing Trumps bidding.on their way to prison for foolishly doing what Trump told them to do but as one of the videos you posted pointed out many of these people may well be ripe for picking for White Supremacists groups etc.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:31:32 pm by oldfordie »
               Emily Maitlis

Offline oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2021, 11:36:46 pm »
Think Cummings think Bannon.

What are political conventions to fascists and Neo nazis?
Like it or not they've certainly changed politics forever as they know how many of the public think, I say forever as no politicians in the UK or US seem to support the idea of politicians and the media being more accountable for what they say.
               Emily Maitlis

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #354 on: January 23, 2021, 12:00:45 am »
I was thinking of Trump and Hawley loosing their seat when up for re-election, Cruz, a hundred thousand swing isn't that much when your talking 8.5 mill vote.
Hawleys. 70.000 swing with millions of voters, maybe wishful thinking but I think they will loose their seats. already got them penciled in for a decent bet.
Yep, I imagine many Trump supporters are losing their faith as well, Trump was supposed to be different, calling all those rioters fine people only to sell them out as not true Trump supporters the following day when it suited him, add that to the sobering realty check of Trump rioters arguing they were gullible idiots for doing Trumps bidding.on their way to prison for foolishly doing what Trump told them to do but as one of the videos you posted pointed out many of these people may well be ripe for picking for White Supremacists groups etc.

It all folds back into what I said earlier about Trump's desire for instant gratification.  Likely twitter was planning to ban him as soon as he left office, but after his "hostage tape" was released, and he immediately reverted to type on twitter (a move about as predictable as night following day) they opted to kill his account there and then.  He just couldn't summon up the self control to ease off, even when it was clear he had exhausted all possible options.

Cruz still has four years to go after surviving the mid terms in 2018.  He beat O'Rourke by something like 215k votes; Biden won states by less votes than that.  It's 2.6%, and I'm not sure there's another Democrat out there who can substantially bridge the gap in 2024, assuming Cruz isn't running for president.

I hope Hawley is mangled though.

Popcorn's Art

Offline KillieRed

• Jaro a.k.a. goatjumpingqueuefucker
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nemo me impune lacessit.
« Reply #355 on: January 23, 2021, 10:35:49 am »
Two exceptions to the filibuster have been put through in the past decade so the debate over nominations for judges and administration officials can now be moved to a vote by a simple majority rather than needing the 60 votes for a supermajority.

I think a lot of your other questions are covered by a primer from the Brookings Institution here: https://www.brookings.edu/policy2020/votervital/what-is-the-senate-filibuster-and-what-would-it-take-to-eliminate-it/

My entire knowledge of the filibuster is based upon Mr. Smith Goes to Washington & The West Wing episode “The Stackhouse Filibuster “ in both instances it’s seen as an heroic act. I’m guessing it’s not used that way in reality.
The best way to scare a Tory is to read and get rich” - Idles.

Offline Kekule

• Not fussy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #356 on: January 23, 2021, 11:32:58 am »

Especially if the Democrats leave it a few weeks and tell him it will be a televised hearing. He’s off Twitter, people aren’t going to be poking a camera in his face every day and pouring over his face and every word all day every day, so he’ll be suffering from withdrawal symptoms. He’ll be desperate to get himself on the telly and have people talking about him again. 

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #357 on: January 23, 2021, 11:36:19 am »
No point in sharing this other than it made me smile to see the relief.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/WUrF1Z-p_cA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/WUrF1Z-p_cA</a>

Popcorn's Art

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #358 on: January 23, 2021, 12:29:17 pm »
My entire knowledge of the filibuster is based upon Mr. Smith Goes to Washington & The West Wing episode “The Stackhouse Filibuster “ in both instances it’s seen as an heroic act. I’m guessing it’s not used that way in reality.
Reality:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?315212-7/senator-cruz-reads-green-eggs-ham-senate-floor
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #359 on: January 23, 2021, 12:31:19 pm »
https://twitter.com/Sammy_Roth/status/1352310336959901700

https://apnews.com/article/joe-biden-environment-native-americans-622fb12ca567ba466030916ded2cc9cc

Joe Biden putting his socks on before his trousers will only deepen divisions in this country.
Reality:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/WrTf6CaTTc0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/WrTf6CaTTc0</a>
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.