Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473818 times)

Offline Tobelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #58000 on: March 15, 2024, 03:00:12 pm »
Plus you're never finding another bad guy with a voice as good as Michael Wincott :D

More gravel in his voice than many a quarry  :)

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58001 on: March 15, 2024, 05:25:30 pm »
It's also kinda shitty regarding the memory of Brandon Lee who nailed the part.

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58002 on: March 15, 2024, 07:32:28 pm »
Went to see Drive Away Dolls today from Ethan Coen, full of the usual oddballs and non sequiturs you'd expect from a film from the Coens.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Gamertag: Chosen John

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #58003 on: March 16, 2024, 04:03:56 pm »
Dune 2 on the IMAX.

Really enjoyed it, not sure the writing was as tight as the first film but what a visual treat and felt suitably epic - if Villeneuve can keep the aggregated quality going into the final film he has delivered one of the greatest film sci-fi trilogies of all time.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #58004 on: March 16, 2024, 07:05:09 pm »
Damsel  :lmao :lmao

Struggling to think of reasons why people like Millie Bobby Brown, Ray Winstone and Angela Bassett would be a part of this mess. There's so much wrong with this pile of shit.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58005 on: March 17, 2024, 03:03:05 am »
Damsel  :lmao :lmao

Struggling to think of reasons why people like Millie Bobby Brown, Ray Winstone and Angela Bassett would be a part of this mess. There's so much wrong with this pile of shit.

I enjoyed it.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58006 on: March 19, 2024, 08:19:45 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/FVswuip0-co?si=U4x9oxDGJRqmGcnF" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/FVswuip0-co?si=U4x9oxDGJRqmGcnF</a>

May 24th. What a lovely day.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58007 on: March 20, 2024, 09:12:15 am »
A lot of stuff coming out Aaron Taylor Johnson has been chosen to be the next Bond.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #58008 on: March 20, 2024, 09:18:21 am »
Who?
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58009 on: March 20, 2024, 09:20:17 am »
A lot of stuff coming out Aaron Taylor Johnson has been chosen to be the next Bond.

If they're going to stick to type, I reckon Theo James wouldn't be a bad call after watching him in The Gentlemen TV series.

Personally, I'd love to see Daniel Kaluuya or Lashana Lynch considering she took the number in that movie.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58010 on: March 20, 2024, 09:20:49 am »

Good signing. Young and loads of mileage.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58011 on: March 20, 2024, 09:24:33 am »
Saw Asteroid City

Pretty shit. Not a great fan of these kinds of films; Is it a film a screenplay, a story, a stage play?

You've got actors playing the role and also the characters. A ropey, quirky story with lots of style and not much substance.

I'm sure there are a few jokes in there that I didn't get - like the endless cop chase, but even the scenary was annoying me :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58012 on: March 20, 2024, 09:26:50 am »
Went to see Drive Away Dolls today from Ethan Coen, full of the usual oddballs and non sequiturs you'd expect from a film from the Coens.

Yeah I'll give that a miss. The first one or two Coen films you thought this is interesting and a bit odd, but then they do the same thing in every film.

Every thick villain is wordy and clever and there is so much dialogue that you'd never hear outside a Cinema. People just don't talk like that. George Lucas had the same problem but in a Galaxy Far, Far Away you can get away with it as long as you've got 'pew pew pew', 'Whooosshhh!!', 'Boom!!' going on.

Coen films generally just have damp squibs followed by squibbed dampers.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58013 on: March 20, 2024, 10:48:40 am »
Saw Asteroid City

Pretty shit. Not a great fan of these kinds of films; Is it a film a screenplay, a story, a stage play?

You've got actors playing the role and also the characters. A ropey, quirky story with lots of style and not much substance.

I'm sure there are a few jokes in there that I didn't get - like the endless cop chase, but even the scenary was annoying me :)

I only managed to get half way through it.

It was Wes Anderson overload in the end I was just thinking give me a normal shoot
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 10:51:52 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #58014 on: March 20, 2024, 10:54:10 am »
I really liked Wes Anderson's short film that won the Oscar the other week, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.  I haven't enjoyed much of his output post-Grand Budapest Hotel, but maybe 40 minutes is the sweet spot for his work. As Kermode would say, it's quirksome without being irksome, and the casting is great.  It's on Netflix
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58015 on: March 20, 2024, 11:06:07 am »
I saw Asteroid City last week and liked it more than any Wes Anderson film in years. Thought it really flowed as a film, and the way it was structured as a play fed into the idea of its own artificiality. Why does this story exist in the first place? I'd also argue against 40 minutes being the sweet spot, if the vignettes in The French Dispatch are anything to go by.

I think Asteroid City worked because there were enough characters for them not to get stale, but perhaps it's more that Anderson's style is more suited to kids films than adult scenarios these days. The kids felt like the most interesting part of the film by some distance. It's a pity he turned Fantastic Mr Fox into a rumination on middle age rather than leaning into the source material.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58016 on: March 20, 2024, 04:23:35 pm »
They are saying the Beetle juice 2 trailer is out sometime today

They have just released a teaser for the new Alien film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dWRpPyejqOc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dWRpPyejqOc</a>

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58017 on: March 20, 2024, 07:32:05 pm »
I really liked Wes Anderson's short film that won the Oscar the other week, The Wonderful Story of Henry Sugar.  I haven't enjoyed much of his output post-Grand Budapest Hotel, but maybe 40 minutes is the sweet spot for his work. As Kermode would say, it's quirksome without being irksome, and the casting is great.  It's on Netflix

The other 3 shorts he did are all great as well 5-10 minutes long and the same group of actors appearing across the 4 of them.
"I must go to the hospital because the injury was so serious that maybe he will be there for one week,"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58018 on: March 20, 2024, 09:21:07 pm »

Yeah seen that and I actually quite enjoyed it.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #58019 on: March 21, 2024, 07:19:12 am »
They are saying the Beetle juice 2 trailer is out sometime today

They have just released a teaser for the new Alien film.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dWRpPyejqOc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dWRpPyejqOc</a>

Was so burned with Prometheus but everything I hear about this film has me pretty excited.

Trailer reminds me of the original Alien trailer.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/n75AEkRrwJg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/n75AEkRrwJg</a>
:D

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58020 on: March 21, 2024, 09:12:56 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kz3IlhAK-88" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kz3IlhAK-88</a>

Offline jonkrux

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58021 on: March 21, 2024, 11:55:41 pm »
Watched the new roadhouse.
Utterly ridiculous but fun watch..don't take it seriously.
Connor mcgregor is a complete parody of himself which is funny.

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58022 on: March 22, 2024, 05:03:42 am »

Sums it up really, it kinda unravels when McGregor enters the fray, any semblance of a plot evaporates, but it's good, dumb fun.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58023 on: March 22, 2024, 07:20:31 am »

I'll avoid purely based on McGregor being a 1st class prick.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58024 on: March 22, 2024, 07:07:01 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Kz3IlhAK-88" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Kz3IlhAK-88</a>

Nice!

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58025 on: March 22, 2024, 07:08:09 pm »
Just browsing Netflix and saw that the second part of Rebel Moon is out on April the 19th. Was expecting a bit more from the first one than it delivered. Hopefully this is a bit better.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #58026 on: March 22, 2024, 09:46:38 pm »
Just browsing Netflix and saw that the second part of Rebel Moon is out on April the 19th. Was expecting a bit more from the first one than it delivered. Hopefully this is a bit better.

Fully Insurrectionary Moon?
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58027 on: March 23, 2024, 04:05:03 pm »
Just saw Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire.

As someone who loves the original 2 films and really enjoyed Afterlife, this one just seems weird.

Not much happens for the majority and then the big bad is severly wasted I thought.

Weirdly edited at times as well and a film that doesn’t really know which direction it’s trying to go in.

Good, but nowhere near as good as Afterlife.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58028 on: March 23, 2024, 04:47:59 pm »
Joker 2 spoiler

Spoiler
Joker 2 will feature covers of 15 well-known songs
[close]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58029 on: March 23, 2024, 06:58:33 pm »
Fully Insurrectionary Moon?

Button Moon: The fucking punch up!

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #58030 on: March 23, 2024, 07:12:59 pm »
The perfect way to start the 2nd BeetleJuice film would be his number being called out in the waiting room after all those years

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58031 on: March 24, 2024, 01:36:02 pm »
Just saw Immaculate

Bloody, Gory Violence.

Yep. Did what it said on the tin

Spoiler

Started off as an Omen-y kind of deal, with a girl trying to escape a nunnery and getting buried alive. Then our protaganist turns up and is asked to swear her oaths

Interesting build up then just went stupid. Her mate had her tongue cut out and killed, smoking doctors and evil church bods abounded. She gets pregnant (The main bod admitted he used to be a biologist for 20 years, but that wasn't his calling..

Turns out that her immaculate pregnacny was because they'd artifically insemenated her with the DNA from the nail in the cross.. Built it up then she had a massive cob on as she'd tried to escape and went on a murder rampage.

Straight-up murdered the sister looking after her with a crusifix. Straight-up then murdered the head church bod with her rosary beads, tried to burn the scientist alive before stabbing him in the neck with a nail from the cross as he was trying a ceserarian and then had birth which she promptly whomped with a large stone.

Finis.

[close]

2/10

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58032 on: March 24, 2024, 05:07:26 pm »
So. Post Bob-Marley film.

Brilliant. Me and the missus loved it. We love the Caribbean and Bob Marley kind of sums it up for us - though we've only been to Jamaica about 15 times. 

Was an amazing fella and does show that music can change the world.

Yes loved it. I’m a massive fan and know his story. What a great musician and man
15 times to Jamaica !
It’s on my bucket list.

Exodus will probably chart again - which is a good thing.

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #58033 on: March 24, 2024, 05:26:05 pm »
Yes loved it. I’m a massive fan and know his story. What a great musician and man
15 times to Jamaica !
It’s on my bucket list.

Exodus will probably chart again - which is a good thing.
Looking forward to the film, but always felt that a trip to Jamaica is heavily edited if you are white with high risk of crime incidents related to poverty (I mean in the sense of being urged to remain in the compound of the resort, or only go on trips they organise, presumably). We are a family deeply fond of West Indian culture. See also Trinidad and Peurto Rico. Whereas in Barbados say, or most of the French West Indies you can go where you like
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 09:02:08 pm by markedasred »
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58034 on: March 24, 2024, 09:16:04 pm »
Looking forward to the film, but always felt that a trip to Jamaica is heavily edited if you are white with high risk of crime incidents related to poverty (I mean in the sense of being urged to remain in the compound of the resort, or only go on trips they organise, presumably). We are a family deeply fond of West Indian culture. See also Trinidad and Peurto Rico. Whereas in Barbados say, or most of the French West Indies you can go where you like

First time was 30 years ago in Montego Bay and we never left the compound. Not good things happened to those that did.

The other 14 trips were through cruise ships and short stays.

Jamaica is a lovely place with fantastic people and absolute c*nt drug dealing fucking c*nts.

Also been to Trinidad, which was as rough as fuck - we got to that piss-stained centre bit and turned back. Peurto Rico was Ok because each time we went on trips.

Such a shame these shithouses fucked the place up. But the real people of Jamaica shine.

EDIT: If you are going somewhere rough then go on a trip - they know where to go and they will keep you safe. Recently went to the Dominican Republic and we went on a trip and it was fine. I wouldn't recommend wandering around on your own there.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2024, 10:20:35 am by Andy @ Allerton! »

Offline red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #58035 on: March 25, 2024, 09:45:56 pm »
Re watched Casino.

That last scene with Joe Pesci and his brother is fucking brutal.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58036 on: March 25, 2024, 11:13:49 pm »
Saw Ghostbusters: Chilly Willy (Or whatever it was called :) )

Decent film. Hit the right notes and a few nice returning cameos. Decent story, though clear where it was always going to go.

Enjoyable romp.

7/10

Offline John_P

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58037 on: March 27, 2024, 06:41:52 pm »
Finally released in the UK at the weekend and completing for me seeing all the Academy Award nominated animated films was Robot Dreams. From director Pablo Berger.

Set in 1980s New York City in a world populated with humanoid animals instead of people. Our main character is 'Dog' a lonely bachelor whose tired of being alone, then one day he builds his own robot friend.

They become fast friends until one fateful day at the beach dog has to leave robot behind.

The film is basically a silent movie, the only words we hear are from the song 'September.' The animation whilst simple is so well done and packed full of Easter eggs and add so much depth to this world as it really captures that new York vibe.

The story is wonderful, funny, sad, thoughtful, had about 6 existential crisises whilst watching it.

Heartily reccomend.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58038 on: March 28, 2024, 09:33:18 am »
Saw Late Night with the Devil

Felt like a 'Hammer House of Horror Film' - bit hit and miss in places, but I kind of felt like that was the point.

70s drab tedious talk show with dodgy bands and shady cast members

The whole thing played out really well and the cast kept it going to its obvious climax.

If you like 80s Horror then you'll love this.

6/10

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #58039 on: March 28, 2024, 09:33:49 am »
Finally released in the UK at the weekend and completing for me seeing all the Academy Award nominated animated films was Robot Dreams. From director Pablo Berger.

Set in 1980s New York City in a world populated with humanoid animals instead of people. Our main character is 'Dog' a lonely bachelor whose tired of being alone, then one day he builds his own robot friend.

They become fast friends until one fateful day at the beach dog has to leave robot behind.

The film is basically a silent movie, the only words we hear are from the song 'September.' The animation whilst simple is so well done and packed full of Easter eggs and add so much depth to this world as it really captures that new York vibe.

The story is wonderful, funny, sad, thoughtful, had about 6 existential crisises whilst watching it.

Heartily reccomend.

Yeah I fancy watching that when it comes out. Looks quite interesting :)