Author Topic: The creeping silent army of the ether (Twitter-Whoppery)  (Read 51221 times)

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Re: The creeping silent army of the ether (Twitter-Whoppery)
« Reply #680 on: January 13, 2024, 05:36:28 pm »
As I said earlier there is a disconnect here. Pretty much everyone who lives in Liverpool and has to put up with Everton fans' disparaging remarks on a daily basis understands what McNulty said is pretty much par for the course from Evertonians these days.

Those that don't understandably pass it off as harmless banter.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #681 on: January 13, 2024, 05:56:40 pm »
And here's RAWK about Villa in May 2022. I'm shocked and appalled, I tell you, shocked and appalled.

"Useless c*nts."
"Fuck you"
"Fucking useless c*nts"
"Useless fucks"
"Fuck you, useless bottling pricks."
"At least I can continue thinking they are complete c*nts."
"Fuckin useless c*nts"
"Hope you go down you cnuts."
"Bottled it so pathetically, c*nts. Go down next season."

Football fans use bad language when things don't go the way they'd like. And a journalist or pundit can be as fervent a fan as anyone. I wouldn't draw any negative opinions about anyone who posted those quoted remarks at all.

Online JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #682 on: January 13, 2024, 05:59:11 pm »
And here's RAWK about Villa in May 2022. I'm shocked and appalled, I tell you, shocked and appalled.

"Useless c*nts."
"Fuck you"
"Fucking useless c*nts"
"Useless fucks"
"Fuck you, useless bottling pricks."
"At least I can continue thinking they are complete c*nts."
"Fuckin useless c*nts"
"Hope you go down you cnuts."
"Bottled it so pathetically, c*nts. Go down next season."

Football fans use bad language when things don't go the way they'd like. And a journalist or pundit can be as fervent a fan as anyone. I wouldn't draw any negative opinions about anyone who posted those quoted remarks at all.
Which of them comments were by someone in a prominent position at the nations broadcaster, and posted on the BBC website by said Chief sports writer? 

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #683 on: January 13, 2024, 06:00:14 pm »
As I said earlier there is a disconnect here. Pretty much everyone who lives in Liverpool and has to put up with Everton fans' disparaging remarks on a daily basis understands what McNulty said is pretty much par for the course from Evertonians these days.

Those that don't understandably pass it off as harmless banter.

You’re suggesting that your opinion carries more weight on an issue that is ripe for authentic and honest discussion. Shutting down debate based on your postcode is, I believe, intellectually dishonest. Furthermore, I’m pretty certain many people living in the city don’t share your opinion. For instance, tweets from Liverpool-based fan media appear to find it amusing. Is that not as representative of the city as your own stance?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #684 on: January 13, 2024, 06:01:51 pm »
Which of them comments were by someone in a prominent position at the nations broadcaster, and posted on the BBC website by said Chief sports writer? 

Yeah, this, talk about false equivalence, fucking hell.

I don't really care about this either way to be honest, he's a nobody even if he is the 'Chief Football Writer' for the BBC, but that comparison is utterly asinine.
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #685 on: January 13, 2024, 06:04:03 pm »
Yeah, this, talk about false equivalence, fucking hell.

I don't really care about this either way to be honest, he's a nobody even if he is the 'Chief Football Writer' for the BBC, but that comparison is utterly asinine.
False equivalence appears to be the cornerstone of this discussion, so at least it’s consistent.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #686 on: January 13, 2024, 06:09:00 pm »
Completely agree. The way I see it, that ‘absolute c*nts’ was aimed at not just the team, but all of us. It’s too strong a term to just be having a go for a lucky goal.

McNulty is from Liverpool. He would have meant it as an Everton fan. The problem is, as I said before, is that others will use it as a label for the city and its people - which is why he is a colossal wang for posting it on social media.

I've said it before, I believe there is an institutional prejudice in the country towards Liverpool and its people, and it is a bias that most easily manifests itself in football. Anti-scouser is a socially acceptable prejudice amongst the knuckle draggers. Nobody gives a shit when our players get it in the neck, when we're obviously on the end of horrendous decisions etc.

It all folds back into the other discussion that's been going on. What for an Evertonian is merely a slur against Liverpool fans gets turned into a slur for the whole city. McNulty should know that.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 06:10:56 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #687 on: January 13, 2024, 06:09:21 pm »
You’re suggesting that your opinion carries more weight on an issue that is ripe for authentic and honest discussion. Shutting down debate based on your postcode is, I believe, intellectually dishonest. Furthermore, I’m pretty certain many people living in the city don’t share your opinion. For instance, tweets from Liverpool-based fan media appear to find it amusing. Is that not as representative of the city as your own stance?

Well said Mr Fitzy oh and I liked your original opening post in this thread too

Offline DiggerJohn

• Kopite
  • Up the Scouser Republic
« Reply #688 on: January 13, 2024, 06:11:25 pm »
Are city bottling it feckng c##ts

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #689 on: January 13, 2024, 06:14:58 pm »

I haven't done that at all.

The post I replied to a post that suggested that McNulty wouldn't post something offensive and anti-Liverpool because he is a scouser who was born in the City. I pointed out that there is a significant proportion of Evertonians especially in his age group who do that on a daily basis. I think for instance that posters who don't experience it on a daily basis think something like the Liverpool thread on GOT isn't what happens in the City.

Well, I can assure you that you come across people like the idiots on GOT on a daily basis.

As for local fan-based social media sadly most would rather use it as an excuse for tit-for-tat abuse. Personally, I think it is better to hold people to account rather than to retaliate and make things worse. 

"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #690 on: January 13, 2024, 06:20:51 pm »
I haven't done that at all.

Ok. I must have totally misunderstood your point.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #691 on: January 13, 2024, 06:23:35 pm »
McNulty is from Liverpool. He would have meant it as an Everton fan. The problem is, as I said before, is that others will use it as a label for the city and its people - which is why he is a colossal wang for posting it on social media.

I've said it before, I believe there is an institutional prejudice in the country towards Liverpool and its people, and it is a bias that most easily manifests itself in football. Anti-scouser is a socially acceptable prejudice amongst the knuckle draggers. Nobody gives a shit when our players get it in the neck, when we're obviously on the end of horrendous decisions etc.

It all folds back into the other discussion that's been going on. What for an Evertonian is merely a slur against Liverpool fans gets turned into a slur for the whole city. McNulty should know that.

Probably the most numbingly stupid example of this is 'the brick' putting on a buffet for United fans when they play us. The same United fans who go to Goodison and go through their full anti-scouse repertoire including bizarrely 'feed the scousers'.

The sad thing is that a significant proportion of Evertonians actually hate Liverpool more than the very people who constantly abuse the City.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #692 on: January 13, 2024, 06:25:36 pm »
Ok. I must have totally misunderstood your point.

Thanks for that.

I think people from outside the city don't understand how much a significant element of Everton supporters detest anything to do with Liverpool.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #693 on: January 13, 2024, 06:28:02 pm »
Thanks for that.

I think people from outside the city don't understand how much a significant element of Everton supporters detest anything to do with Liverpool.

*some people from outside the city

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #694 on: January 13, 2024, 06:48:12 pm »

McNulty may or may not have accidentally posted something on his personal Twitter, not the bbc website. Are all those posters I quoted representing their workplace on here?

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #695 on: January 13, 2024, 06:50:19 pm »
McNulty may or may not have accidentally posted something on his personal Twitter, not the bbc website. Are all those posters I quoted representing their workplace on here?
Sorry,yeah was on Twitter.
If it gets back to your employer, then yes. Although it won’t get back to your employer will it? Using your work account on Twitter, then yes it will.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #696 on: January 13, 2024, 06:59:36 pm »
Sorry,yeah was on Twitter.
If it gets back to your employer, then yes. Although it won’t get back to your employer will it? Using your work account on Twitter, then yes it will.

So McNulty using a burner account would be fine?

Offline JP!

• An infinite ocean of joy. May in fact be the reincarnation of the Buddha.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Save us Fowler
    • Cranky Englishman - Yes, that's me.
« Reply #697 on: January 13, 2024, 07:09:05 pm »

If he had used a burner this wouldn't even be a story would it?  The whole issue boils down to someone in supposedly impartial media tweeting that about a football club.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 07:11:44 pm by JP! »
I don't agree, he'd go to Legoland. Bye.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #698 on: January 13, 2024, 07:10:43 pm »

From the BBC's guidance.

3. Guidance for everyone working for the BBC
a) Respect and Civility in Public Discourse

The BBC considers that civility in public discourse is a critically important principle along with impartiality and freedom of expression. This has been magnified by the advent of the social media age and the BBC considers it has a role to play in observing best practice for itself and setting an example for respectful behaviour. Therefore, the BBC expects everyone working for the BBC to behave professionally, treating others with respect and courtesy at all times. Everyone who works for the BBC should set an example for civilised public debate.

The following list of dos and don’ts – while not definitive - provide guidance on how the rules on respect and civility in public discourse will be interpreted:

Do treat others with respect, even in the face of abuse.
    Don’t use offensive or aggressive language and DO conduct yourself with courtesy.
    Do take particular care when commenting on the issues that provoke the greatest debate.
    Don’t attack individuals, even when you disagree with their views.
    Do be careful with rebuttals – they can feed conflict.
    Don’t criticise your colleagues in public. Respect the privacy of the workplace and the confidentiality of internal announcements.
    Don’t be drawn into ill-tempered exchanges, or exchanges that will reflect badly on you, or the BBC.
    Don’t promote law breaking.

b) Using Social Media: Best Practice

Below is advice for all those working at the BBC to consider when using social media:

Assume anything you say or post will be viewed critically.
    Be aware that there is no difference between how a personal and an ‘official’ account is perceived on social media: disclaimers do not offer protection.
    If you know you’ve got something wrong, do correct it quickly and openly, generally by linking or referring to the original post rather than deleting it.
    Take account of the size, nature and makeup of private groups and the risk of more personal content being shared outside the group when posting.
    Remember that your personal brand on social media is always secondary to your responsibility to the BBC.
    Respect the confidentiality of internal meetings and discussions.
    Do not post when your judgement may be impaired.
    Never use your BBC status to seek personal gain, financial or otherwise.
    Do not link to anything you haven’t read fully.

I look forward to your response to the bolded bits.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online JRed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #699 on: January 13, 2024, 07:10:49 pm »
No, but nobody would’ve known.

Offline Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #700 on: January 13, 2024, 07:46:07 pm »

Right up to the point at which he got caught. Then there would be some action taken surely?
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #701 on: January 16, 2024, 01:20:58 pm »
For me, this is a disconnect between people who live in Liverpool and who don't. There is a naivety that Liverpool and Everton fans get along like the good old days.

It simply isn't true. There is a significant proportion of Everton's support especially in McNulty's age group who absolutely detest Liverpool. There is a significant section of their fan base who do think of us as 'absolute c*nts' and it has nothing to do with fortunate goals being scored.

There is a significant proportion of their fanbase who blame us for their demise because of the European ban. I work with and have worked with people who bring up the likes of Heysel at every opportunity. Who spout shit like it is never your fault at every opportunity. People who have a borderline psychopathic hatred of Liverpool.

I have gone to Derby matches at which there have been numerous vile chants, shouts and gestures. There is no such thing as scouse solidarity anymore.

This is a different point from the one that I was replying to though?

You originally raised the fact that people from outside of the city feel differently about the comments than those from within it due to the shit that the city has had to endure from external sources, whereas the above point is aimed at the fact that the relationship between Everton and Liverpool is far more strained than it used to be and that some people from outside of the City may not be aware of that, they're entirely separate arguments unless I'm missing something.

There's good and bad Evertonians, in my expereince the majority aren't Heysel mongoing weirdos although there is certaintly an identifiable portion of their fanbase which do fit that mould, having left the away end at Goodison Park and shortly afterward been assaulted by one of their fans I'm well aware that it isn't the 'friendly derby' I just don't interpret anything ever said by an Evertonian in that mould unless there is at least some evidence for it, in this case I don't feel that there is.

You're obviously free to interpret what he has said in whichever way you want, I persoanlly will assume that it was directed at a fortunate goal being scored and the reason for that is that he posted it as a direct response to a media outlet reporting that a fortunate goal had been scored - as I've said ad infinitum, if he had posted the same thing in response to a photo of our fans or something I'd take a different view.

Without going through the location of every poster in this thread I can't say whether your disconnect comment is based on anything tangible, what I can say is you don't have to look very hard to find plenty of people from within the city who don't share your view, that's not to say either is correct, I'm just not sure that location plays as big of a part as you're suggesting.

The post I replied to a post that suggested that McNulty wouldn't post something offensive and anti-Liverpool because he is a scouser who was born in the City. I pointed out that there is a significant proportion of Evertonians especially in his age group who do that on a daily basis. I think for instance that posters who don't experience it on a daily basis think something like the Liverpool thread on GOT isn't what happens in the City.

This is not what I was suggesting.

What I was pointing out is that someone born in the city is unlikely to be unaware of the stereotypes that exist in the minds of those who live outside of it. I would have thought it was obvious that I wasn't implying that nobody born in Liverpool would say anything negative about Liverpool FC as that would be an absolutely ridiculous thing to suggest given the fucking mayor not long ago was a regular on that score.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2024, 01:57:30 pm by Jm55 »