Author Topic: Liverpool vs Plymouth Argyle FA Cup 3rd Rd, Anfield, Sunday 8th January  (Read 19528 times)

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Not the most exciting of fixtures to look forward to this weekend as league football is put on hold for a week or two while the Reds continue in their quest for some silverware for the first time in what will be 5 years come February. No FA Cup glory to shout about for over a decade (fuck, a decade since that 'Gerrard Final :o) so personally I am hoping for us to go all the way in this one and bring some silverware back.

A long way to go before we can even think about doing that though and the usual 'banana skin' cliche will get thrown about this week ahead of this one. But lets be honest, we should be putting these away with relative ease to get back to winning ways. A hectic Christmas schedule-which we came through fantastically well imo with 7 points out of a possible 9, a time of the season which can make or break title chases- would make you think that Klopp would field a much changed side here. A League Cup semi-final follows just a few days later before a trip down the East lancs to meet that horrible bunch; with that in mind we can maybe expect those wholesale changes from Jurgen. But where, who and why? Will Karius be thrown into the spotlight again? I don't know how Plymouth play but Cup ties against sides from the lower divisions tend to be very physical and very direct which are two areas Karius has perhaps shown a difficulty in getting to grips with since arriving. I personally feel he's been harshly criticised and will be a fine keeper but the risk of him coming into this game a little rusty and not coping well could hamper his career here even more before it's begun.

Will Matip recover from a rather suspicious ankle 'injury' that's kept him out for quite some time? Surely he will need some minutes for match fitness before the league game the following week, or is he going to be thrown in jail for not playing for his country? Clyne and Milner most certainly need rest so a chance perhaps for Trent AA and the almost forgotten man Alberto Moreno to showcase their talents and show they are capable of first team responsibilities. Not really much room to manoeuvre with the centre backs if Matip can't play and Klopp still has Sakho on the naughty step. Perhaps a chance for Joe Gomez? I also suspect Lucas will come in and play but where would depend on what centre backs are available. Ejaria, Woodburn and Stewart will fancy their chances of featuring at some point during the game and maybe even Grujic can get some time as well.

A recent link between the two sides is young centre back Lloyd Jones -currently having a loan spell at Swindon- who was signed by ourselves from Plymouth during his youth days. An earlier link would be the late Brian Hall who was sold to Plymouth back in the 70's. And with only 10 official matches played between the two sides there isn't much for me to talk about in the way of history or anything of note to reminisce about as I would normally do for a pre match thread. Our (pointless and not at all relevant) record in those 10 games is: won 5, drawn 3 and lost 2. All of those games were played in the 50's and 60's in the old Second Division with Alan A'Court taking a liking to those matches, scoring 6 goals in 8 appearances.

On recent form we all know that we are flying so far this season and despite the recent draw (one I personally don't think was disastrous given the time of year and the fixtures) are in a good run of form still. Plymouth are not doing too badly themselves; they are 2nd in League Two after 24 games and they will be disappointed to not be in the Play-offs at the very least come the end of the season. They've spread the goals about much like us this season with their top scorer Graham Carey on 10 goals and a few others on 7,5 and 3. I have no idea how they will line up at Anfield on Sunday but that shouldn't matter if we put out a fairly strong side and play like we know we can. Our style of play shouldn't change when personnel does now so we should always have a continuity with our playing. And lets hope we can continue our great football and get the job done on Sunday!

:wave
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Garstonite

• Scouse Wash House
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Liverpool vs Plymouth Argyle FA Cup 3rd Rd, Anfield, Sunday 8th January
« Reply #1 on: January 4, 2017, 11:49:44 pm »
Good stuff Al :) I am really, really looking forward to this game. Nothing to do with my love of the FA Cup. That game in a fortnight against United is going be torture. This is the calm before the storm. Plenty of kids, plenty of fun and a place in the fourth round. Enjoy the game. Breathe, breathe, breathe...

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: January 4, 2017, 11:54:19 pm »
Good stuff Al :) I am really, really looking forward to this game. Nothing to do with my love of the FA Cup. That game in a fortnight against United is going be torture. This is the calm before the storm. Plenty of kids, plenty of fun and a place in the fourth round. Enjoy the game. Breathe, breathe, breathe...

The game itself will he torture, or the build up amd all the other hysteria around it? One for another thread maybe!

I agree with you though, as long as we are professional this should be a bit of fun and a chance for the squad members and a few youngsters to seize their opportunity.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2017, 09:20:20 am »
It will be very interesting to see what players will be involved in this game. It is pretty safe to assume that Karius, Lucas, Moreno, Alexander-Arnold, Stewart, Ejaria and Origi will be starting. Seeing that the likes of Gomez, Ilori, Randall, Juanma, Brannagan, Chirivella and Woodburn were not involved against Bangor last night, it is possible that they are considered for selection. Maybe even Ojo, who played only 45 minutes last night. Also, has anyone seen Grujic in the training pictures? He is not listed as injured.

Offline vicar

• Legacy Fan
  • Free at last!
« Reply #4 on: January 5, 2017, 09:22:24 am »
Just seen this is at 13:30 on Sunday. Thanks BT Sport, yet another game I can't get to :'(.

Feel a bit sorry for Plymouth thats a very early start to make sure you get there on time.

I presume that Klopp will make significant changes, maybe similar to the team against Leeds?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 5, 2017, 09:29:46 am »
Complete changed side for me right now. At the current moment we can't put any priority on this competition. Basically needs to be a majority u23 side, who are still good enough to win this game.

Karius

TAA - Gomez - Lucas - Moreno

Stewart

Ejaria - Emre/Wij

Ojo - Origi - Woodburn

Not sure who else can really play alongside Ejaria right now because of the injury to Brannagan.

Offline Smellytrabs

• Sme-llytrabs....what are they feeding you? It's not your fault! Has an anus that looks like a *
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: January 5, 2017, 10:17:46 am »
Let's twat these nautical fuckers.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #7 on: January 5, 2017, 12:19:07 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
As already said, U23 side last night indicates a few changes. Interesting thing will be how to balance sides between this and next Wednesday so we have the best X1 we can for Utd match.
I suspect both will be mixtures of first team and youth to give all some rest but still have enough to win both.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #8 on: January 5, 2017, 12:36:42 pm »
Pimoff is in Pimoff and Argyle is in Scotland, whats all that about!?
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 5, 2017, 12:55:36 pm »
Wholesale changes. Probably something similar to Leeds lineup, maybe even more.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #10 on: January 5, 2017, 12:59:09 pm »
Play Ojo.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Aceldama

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #12 on: January 5, 2017, 01:08:23 pm »
Very excited to see the kids play

Also Coutinho to get some minutes from the bench pre United?

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #13 on: January 5, 2017, 01:14:37 pm »
Isn't he cub tibed?
Not a cub anymore

Offline Lfc1105

• Main Stander
  • This Is Anfield
« Reply #14 on: January 5, 2017, 01:19:36 pm »
Very excited to see the kids play

Also Coutinho to get some minutes from the bench pre United?

Imagine Coutinho won't be risked in this one, more likely be on the bench for the trip to Southampton.

Offline pyroparty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 5, 2017, 01:28:23 pm »
This game is hopefully all about Joe Gomez!! Cant wait to see him. Leave anyone who's gonna play v Southampton and the Mancs in the stands apart from a little outing for anyone who needs it after injury ie Coutinho, maybe Matip dunno.

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #16 on: January 5, 2017, 01:28:24 pm »
Imagine Coutinho won't be risked in this one, more likely be on the bench for the trip to Southampton.

oh yeah forgot we another game pre then
should be wall to wall kids then

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #17 on: January 5, 2017, 01:54:03 pm »
Karius, Randall, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Stewart, Lucas, Ejaria, Sturridge, Woodburn, Coutinho

Wouldn't usually risk Matip etc but we're at home and they need game time I reckon. Sturridge hasn't had many minutes this season and he doesn't tend to get injured in match it seems to be usually in training. Get Coutinho a bit of game time because I don't think these are great. If we lose I'm not fussed, try and win the EFL Cup instead and focus on the title.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #18 on: January 5, 2017, 02:08:36 pm »
The majority of the first-teamers could do with a break, especially with the fixtures coming up. Plymouth are currently second in League Two. They were first for a fair bit of the season, but have slipped up in recent weeks, winning only three of their last eight matches, while losing five of those. Former Liverpool youth player Jakub Sokolik, who only spent a year with us (never featuring) is on Plymouth's books. Ex-Blackburn and Dundee United player David Goodwillie, who signed for Blackburn they year they were relegated is also a Plymouth player. Ex-Celtic youth player, Graham Carey has scored ten goals in all competitions from midfield for them.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 5, 2017, 02:11:41 pm »
Karius, Randall, Matip, Gomez, Moreno, Stewart, Lucas, Ejaria, Sturridge, Woodburn, Coutinho

Wouldn't usually risk Matip etc but we're at home and they need game time I reckon. Sturridge hasn't had many minutes this season and he doesn't tend to get injured in match it seems to be usually in training. Get Coutinho a bit of game time because I don't think these are great. If we lose I'm not fussed, try and win the EFL Cup instead and focus on the title.

Playing all three of them is madness - it means one or more would have to try to play 90 minutes if there are any new injuries or if someone is having a shocker.

I could get on board with bringing all three on for under half an hour, but I wouldn't want any of them starting - it just means Klopp has no ability to control their minutes.

I'd not play Lucas in midfield either - better to have his calm passing from the back, and he just doesn't have the energy to play that position in our team. it's easier for him to physically compete there than against an energised plymouth midfield.

Offline d1ward

• Kemlynite
« Reply #20 on: January 5, 2017, 02:15:05 pm »
This shouldn't be a problem, but I can see it being quite close if we play a lot of kids. It would be good to have Sturridge to help out like against Tottenham in the League Cup.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 5, 2017, 02:19:03 pm »
The league cup team should be playing this (with Karius), they've definitely earned it. And any first-teamers removed from the starters.

So that's

Karius
Alexander-Arnold, Lucas, Klavan, Moreno
Ejaria, Stewart, Grujic (if fit)
Ojo, Origi, Woodburn

Obviously this depends a bit on Matip and Sturridge's injuries. If they are likely to be out for a few games, then Origi and Klavan need a break before the Southampton and United games.

And again, depending on Henderson's injury maybe Can can start the game in place of Gruijic, and play an hour.

Clyne shouldn't be anywhere near our subs bench. He's more than earned a rest. Wijnaldum and Lallana too.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 02:20:40 pm by Classycara »

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #22 on: January 5, 2017, 02:43:10 pm »
Really hope we see Ojo in this game. He is the closest thing we have to Mane, and with him missing, he should find himself involved with the first team squad over the next few weeks, injuries permitting. I have felt we have lacked width recently, even with Mane, so there is definitely a place for him in this squad regardless of Mane's availability.

It would be brilliant to see Gomez too, if that's a real possibility.

If Matip or Coutinho aren't 100% fit, then I wouldn't risk either. If Coutinho is match ready, then I wouldn't mind seeing him for 20 minutes. He would have a week between games then. He generally doesn't need much time to slot in when he gets back, so I have no worries if he just comes back v United.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 5, 2017, 02:45:08 pm »
Complete changed side for me right now. At the current moment we can't put any priority on this competition. Basically needs to be a majority u23 side, who are still good enough to win this game.

Karius

TAA - Gomez - Lucas - Moreno

Stewart

Ejaria - Emre/Wij

Ojo - Origi - Woodburn

Not sure who else can really play alongside Ejaria right now because of the injury to Brannagan.

Grujic maybe if he's back from injury.

Offline Lasardine

• Serial knob
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: January 5, 2017, 02:47:08 pm »
Playing all three of them is madness - it means one or more would have to try to play 90 minutes if there are any new injuries or if someone is having a shocker.

I could get on board with bringing all three on for under half an hour, but I wouldn't want any of them starting - it just means Klopp has no ability to control their minutes.

I'd not play Lucas in midfield either - better to have his calm passing from the back, and he just doesn't have the energy to play that position in our team. it's easier for him to physically compete there than against an energised plymouth midfield.

I wasn't sure about Coutinho or Sturridge but I'd defo play Matip, he could do with 90 mins if he's gonna play at OT. Hasn't played for around a month.

Offline Bend It Like Aurelio

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 5, 2017, 02:51:47 pm »
From last year's example, I don't think Klopp will play too many backup players for the FA cup. And he won't risk losing the squad rhythm for the Man United game. I think that barring injury, the lineup will not be too much different than the one that faced Sunderland.

I think Matip may get in, but Coutinho will probably not start. But the kids, I imagine, will probably have to wait for the League Cup (whatever it is called now).

Offline dudleyred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 5, 2017, 03:18:14 pm »
From last year's example, I don't think Klopp will play too many backup players for the FA cup. And he won't risk losing the squad rhythm for the Man United game. I think that barring injury, the lineup will not be too much different than the one that faced Sunderland.

I think Matip may get in, but Coutinho will probably not start. But the kids, I imagine, will probably have to wait for the League Cup (whatever it is called now).

really?!?!?!

you think more kids will play in a semi final first leg away from home in ten days - than a third round home time in 7 days???

I think it will be all change for the FA Cup - with the likes of Karius, Moreno, Ejaria, woodburn, TAA, Stewart all likely to start and then back to full strength for Southampton away

remembering the team he put out against Spurs in the league Cup was very very young and this game on paper should be more straight forward

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 5, 2017, 03:19:04 pm »

wait, what? i remember it exactly the opposite, klopp rested everyone as much as possible. we had some crazy teams out in the FA cup

and anyhow, why would you play a better team against a league 2 team when we're a tie away from the league cup final? seems slightly odd prioritising, at least to me

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 5, 2017, 03:24:38 pm »
wait, what? i remember it exactly the opposite, klopp rested everyone as much as possible. we had some crazy teams out in the FA cup

and anyhow, why would you play a better team against a league 2 team when we're a tie away from the league cup final? seems slightly odd prioritising, at least to me

Exactly. The league cup and fa cup in the earlier rounds are rotation games, especially the FA Cup with the schedule that surrounds it.

It's what makes winning a treble a remarkable achievement.

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #29 on: January 5, 2017, 06:55:37 pm »
Wouldn't surprise me if Coutinho got some minutes in this game.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #30 on: January 5, 2017, 07:21:28 pm »

On the contrary I think he'll play kids here. I'm really not sure what is going to happen with the FA cup but we're again in a situation (similar to last year) where it has almost become 3rd priority. Sounds harsh to say it, but we're going for the league and in the semi final of another cup. It might change once the League cup is over with (hopefully resulting in a cup). Then we can concentrate on the league and FA Cup if we're still in it, but not before that.
YWNA

Offline Youb

• tue.com
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: January 5, 2017, 07:26:24 pm »
Be a good time for Karius to get back into it, really hope he can come good and get some much needed confidence back. 

Offline markedasred

• Knowing me, Knowing you... ahaaa!!! Resident Large Canine.
  • Legacy Fan
  • No Murdoch in our house
« Reply #32 on: January 5, 2017, 08:46:05 pm »
PAUL TIERNEY Wigan born ref. Smells like northern manc to me.
"For those of you watching in black and white, Liverpool are the team with the ball"

Offline Solomon Grundy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC - Living rent-free in the heads of our rivals
« Reply #33 on: January 5, 2017, 09:05:06 pm »
On the contrary I think he'll play kids here. I'm really not sure what is going to happen with the FA cup but we're again in a situation (similar to last year) where it has almost become 3rd priority. Sounds harsh to say it, but we're going for the league and in the semi final of another cup. It might change once the League cup is over with (hopefully resulting in a cup). Then we can concentrate on the league and FA Cup if we're still in it, but not before that.

He'll play a similar team to the one he played against Leeds I reckon.

Offline LiverpoolKopKings

• "He got to Number One. Then into minus figures. Though nobody could understand why!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • Here's to win it before my expiry date!!!!
« Reply #34 on: January 5, 2017, 10:17:18 pm »
so we had imposed on us 3 million pl games in 3 seconds and then we are going to face mighty plymouth argyle in the cup on a Sunday. What a fuckin useless cluster of c*nts are the fa!
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands
If you're happy and you know it, Klopp your hands

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #35 on: January 5, 2017, 10:35:39 pm »
From last year's example, I don't think Klopp will play too many backup players for the FA cup.

:lmao What the f*ck are you talking about?

1. Liverpool's team in the first game v Exeter. In which Enrique played as CB:

34 Bogdan
56 Randall
26 Ilori
(Substituted for Maguire 77')
3 Jose Enrique
44 Smith
40 Kent
(Substituted for Chirivella 57')
32 Brannagan
35 Stewart
53 J. Teixeira
48 Sinclair
(Substituted for Ojo 71')
9C Benteke

Pretty much an entirely rested team, with Benteke the only first team player (and he was out of favour).

2. Liverpool team in the second game v Exeter. Again Enrique at CB and Flanno just coming back from injury as a sub:

22 Mignolet
56 Randall (Substituted for Flanagan 51')
26 Ilori
3 Jose Enrique

44 Smith
32 Brannagan
35 Stewart

24 Allen (Substituted for Ojo 65')
33 Ibe (Substituted for Chirivella 79')
9C Benteke
53 J. Teixeira

So this time we had Mignolet, Allen, Ibe and Benteke, and maaaaybe Flanno as first teamers. The rest all reserves or youth players. But this was just Exeter, surely we'd play a full strength line up against PL opposition...

3. Liverpool team in the first game v West Ham:

22 Mignolet
2 Clyne
19 Caulker
6 Lovren
44 Smith
32 Brannagan (Substituted for Sinclair 86')
35 Stewart
24 Allen
33 Ibe (Substituted for Ojo 80')
9C Benteke
53 J. Teixeira (Substituted for Jose Enrique 90')

Stronger team but the midfield and attack in particular saw most of our first team players rested. OK, surely AWAY from home against a decent, on-form PL side, we'd play a full strength team...

4. Liverpool team in the second game v West Ham

22 Mignolet
38 Flanagan (just back from injury, barely played)
26 Ilori
21 Lucas (very early on in the 'Lucas as a CB' experiment)
44 Smith
68 Chirivella (Substituted for Milner 101')
35 Stewart
53J. Teixeira
(Substituted for Origi 59')
33 Ibe
9 C Benteke
10 Coutinho (Substituted for Sturridge at 59')

Or maybe not. And despite that we still nearly knocked them out.

We'll very likely play a few youngsters. Wouldn't at all be surprised to see some of Randall/Alexander-Arnold, Brannagan, Stewart, Ejaria, Williams, Wilson or Woodburn.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2017, 10:38:20 pm by JerseyKloppite »

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #36 on: January 5, 2017, 10:42:56 pm »
We're playing Plymouth, I'll be pissed if we play any of our big players!

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 5, 2017, 10:56:40 pm »
Hope we play our backup players. Would want to see Karius, Arnold, Moreno, Lucas, Stewart, Origi, Ojo and Ejaria. Then I'd like to have Coutinho on the bench.

Definite rests for Clyne, Milner, Lallana, Wijnaldum and Firmino.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Souness1

• Kopite
  • Lallana is the second coming
« Reply #38 on: January 6, 2017, 12:13:15 am »
The third leg of the domestic treble starts here.  :wave

Karius

TAA
Lucas
Klavan
Moreno

Stewart
Can
Ejaria

Woodburn
Origi
Ojo (if fit)

Tricky 2-1 win. Plymouth going well this season.

Offline Le_Mot_Juste

• Pity that it is hidden in thousands of considerably less merit.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fully endorse my custom title
« Reply #39 on: January 6, 2017, 12:44:12 am »
Anfield will not be rocking for this one.

So long as no senior players who are vital to the league campaign get injured, i'll be happy. Let the fringe and youth players show the world what they can do.
To choose dogma and faith over doubt and experience is to throw out the ripening vintage and to reach greedily for the kool-aid.
- Hitch