Author Topic: Uber loses London Licence  (Read 20092 times)

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Uber loses London Licence
« on: September 22, 2017, 11:29:47 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/22/uber-licence-transport-for-london-tfl

Uber’s application for a new licence to operate in London has been rejected on the basis that the company is not a “fit and proper” operator.

The current licence expires on 30 September but Uber has 21 days to appeal and can continue to operate until that process expires.

Transport for London said that it had rejected the US cab hailing app’s application to renew its licence because “Uber’s approach and conduct demonstrate a lack of corporate responsibility” in relation to reporting serious criminal offences, obtaining medical certificates and other issues.

I assume they will appeal and take it to the courts.

London without Uber would seriously suck!!!

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
Re: Uber loses London Licence
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:33 am »
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-41358640

Uber will not be issued a new private hire licence, Transport for London (TfL) has said.

TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

Uber's approach and conduct demonstrated a lack of corporate responsibility which could have potential public safety and security implications, it said.

Uber has 21 days to appeal, during which it can continue to operate.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 11:30:48 am »
I manage alright without it.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:50 am »
Good.

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 11:34:42 am »
Let’s be honest, this is a ploy to push up the fees they are charging the likes of Uber to obtain a license.

Uber will appeal, and some settlement will no don’t be achieved which sees them dropping some of its more dubious practices and paying a much bigger fee.

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 11:39:54 am »
Haha great news. I'm Hoping it folds, absolute c*nt of a company with no working practices.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 11:43:05 am by SandyShore »

Online Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2017, 11:40:17 am »
It's a negotiation.  They'll have to agree to pull their socks up.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2017, 11:41:06 am »
It'll be back

Offline SandyShore

• "Hodgson did a very good job". someone with low shitty standards who is probably racist
  • Kopite
  • Boooooooooooooooooooom!!

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2017, 11:48:36 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jul/13/uber-practices-company-london-consumer-sumofus

Omg horrible stuff.

I don't dispute that.  I am not convinced the general user cares though.  People have got used to having a service available to them at there fingertips which is a whole lot cheaper than a Black cab.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2017, 11:49:35 am »
I don't dispute that.  I am not convinced the general user cares though.  People have got used to having a service available to them at there fingertips which is a whole lot cheaper than a Black cab.

Its the job of the state to ensure that such things are tackled, regardless of what it costs the public and its ease of use.

Offline thelinnen

• Tepid Water Lite. Serial Moaner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2017, 11:50:07 am »
I'm amazed that they stayed open for so long in the first place, especially after in recent years TFL were made to pull up their socks and take regulation and screening more seriously.
Then in the midddle out pops a smiling glen johnson pulling up his jersey to reveal a t-shirt of suarez with a text saying. "OUR SUAREZ IS A FRIEND TO ALL COLOURS!"

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2017, 11:59:46 am »
They'll not have any employees to treat badly in about 10-15 years time when their autonomous fleet is up and running.

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2017, 12:06:51 pm »
They'll not have any employees to treat badly in about 10-15 years time when their autonomous fleet is up and running.

That's the plan.  The drivers are just Data Collectors. 

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2017, 12:16:30 pm »
I'll be gutted if this decision doesn't get turned around, I use Uber a lot.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2017, 12:18:02 pm »
I've only ever had incredible service with Uber.  Easy booking, easy pickup, easy journey, easy payment... all for a reasonable price.

There's got to be some middle ground between that and being completely ripped off by a regular London taxi while receiving a service that ranges from clunky to downright awful in comparison.

Offline plura

• Bear with me
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2017, 12:22:02 pm »

Yep that's where technology is taking the debate. Overall the experience of using Uber is very easy and useful in terms of its features. Add to that a very cheap price and the question is this a sacrifice we be without. Similarly to what we hear now and have always heard about Ryanair and their treatment of staff. And on which their so nice CEO had to say: O’Leary said that travellers vowing never to fly Ryanair again will almost certainly return to the airline because its prices are lower. “Our booking engine is full of passengers who have sworn they will never fly with us again,” he said.

And will this be the same for Uber. Obviously if they will keep their licence but at a higher price will they be able to keep their cheaper prices still?

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2017, 12:25:05 pm »
Never used them, quite happy with buses, tube and my own two feet. Can see how younger folk out partying would find them handy though.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2017, 12:46:38 pm »
Good.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online PhilV

• Has difficulty in getting it up, apparently.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Epic Swindler
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2017, 12:56:20 pm »
I've only ever had incredible service with Uber.  Easy booking, easy pickup, easy journey, easy payment... all for a reasonable price.

Also my experience, in London and when in America

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2017, 12:57:23 pm »
Also my experience, in London and when in America

Yeah it is boss

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2017, 01:04:15 pm »
Use the tube.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2017, 01:08:04 pm »
Use the tube.

It doesn't cover huge swathes of London. And most of it doesn't run after midnight. So no.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2017, 01:09:54 pm »
It doesn't cover huge swathes of London. And most of it doesn't run after midnight. So no.

Use a black cab then.

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 01:11:46 pm »
Use a black cab then.

Why would I pay three times as much for my journey? Or risk being refused service by the numerous racist cabbies that refused to pick me and two black friends up one night in Shoreditch?

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 01:13:54 pm »
Who cares about poor working conditions, non-existent CRB checks and failure to report crime aslong as I can get from Croydon to Hammersmith for a flim.

::)
cyas

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 01:14:59 pm »
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline J_Kopite

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 01:15:20 pm »

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2017, 01:15:33 pm »
Why would I pay three times as much for my journey? Or risk being refused service by the numerous racist cabbies that refused to pick me and two black friends up one night in Shoreditch?

Fair enough. Ill avoid using Uber and those individuals hired who partook in sexual assaults.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2017, 01:19:58 pm »
Use a black cab then.

Ridiculously overpriced, nowhere to be seen outside of zone 1 and driven by Brexit voting c*nts. No thanks.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2017, 01:22:05 pm »
I understand the arguments against uber. But there is another side to this too. I have family members that drive an uber full time and it pays the mortgage. This is highly depressing news for them.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2017, 01:39:53 pm »
I understand the arguments against uber. But there is another side to this too. I have family members that drive an uber full time and it pays the mortgage. This is highly depressing news for them.

It feels like one of those issues where TfL have to make a stand, or just cave in totally and not bother regulating. The regulations are clear, Uber have flouted them, they need to face the consequences. If the regulator does not apply the rules, what is the point of the regulator. If a dodgy backstreet minicab firm had the same attitude to the rules, they would have the book thrown at them, so why should a multinational with billions of dollars get any more lenient treatment?

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:31 pm »

But then then minicab drivers who do follow the rules, who have been price gauged by Uber, also probably have mortgages. There is no victimless course of action here.

Offline gamble

• andproctor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2017, 01:49:47 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it, Uber aren't going anywhere. They have very powerful and influential individuals behind them. Uber are here for the long term.

I too know people who work for Uber in one way or another. One of my good friends is a part-time musician and drives for Uber - he's one of the smartest guys I know with a background in programming. Together we worked through some of the background algorithms used by Uber, and Peabee is right in calling their current stage data collecting. Whether you like them or not, they are a very clever company.

Offline vagabond

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 22, 2017, 01:50:54 pm »
But then then minicab drivers who do follow the rules, who have been price gauged by Uber, also probably have mortgages. There is no victimless course of action here.

Of course. It's important to bear in mind that many uber drivers today gave up being minicab drivers and transitioned to uber out of necessity because the tfl gave them a license in the first place. Everyone could see that uber would drive other businesses out of the market and it only made sense to transition. I suppose if the tfl is genuinely serious here then they all may just have to transition back.
Sometimes a man stands up during supper
and walks outdoors, and keeps on walking,
because of a church that stands somewhere in the East.
---Rilke

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 01:56:00 pm »

There's got to be some middle ground between that and being completely ripped off by a regular London taxi while receiving a service that ranges from clunky to downright awful in comparison.

They haven't been asked to improve their service.  It's based on corporate practices and issues around Greyball.  A great service doesn't mean these problems shouldn't be overlooked. 

Online Peabee

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 01:58:10 pm »

Tell them to put pressure on Uber to comply with TfL.  If they adhere to their regulations then they will be allowed to operate.  SP summed it up well.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2017, 02:00:55 pm »
I've used Uber only three times. On each occasion the driver has been unsettlingly weird.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2017, 02:40:24 pm »
Only had one bad experience with an Uber. Use it weekly to get work due to having shit shifts.

My understanding of this surely is that if they lose the London license, all the drivers will just buy cars from other towns with non-London registered license plates, and carry on working? I went to Stoke recently (Alton Towers) and the driver was telling me that Uber isn't available in Stoke, but it is in Liverpool/Manchester etc, so he just bought a car with a Liverpool reg license and was able to operate in Stoke as long as anyone was using the app.

Offline carling

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 22, 2017, 02:42:35 pm »
They haven't been asked to improve their service.  It's based on corporate practices and issues around Greyball.  A great service doesn't mean these problems shouldn't be overlooked. 

The problems shouldn't be overlooked, but neither should the service be binned.

Like I said, middle ground. I'm sure that's what will happen anyway.  Uber charge a bit more and start complying with the rules.

It's the taxi firms who have no intention of changing that make me laugh.  They can only fight against innovation for so long...