Author Topic: The UK Economy - Is it the 1970's again?  (Read 24701 times)

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
Re: The UK Economy - Is it the 1970's again?
« Reply #200 on: July 8, 2023, 12:55:55 pm »
I always thought it meant 'fucking bastard'.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #201 on: July 8, 2023, 01:00:05 pm »
I always thought it meant 'fucking bastard'.
You are not alone.

https://tswriting.medium.com/fucktard-the-adjective-of-our-age-648d40b696f6

Maybe it is more obvious to me because of my time living in the US. Over there, 'tard' is used as a suffix to a number of words. But 'fucktard' is by far the most common. And 'retard' is still used there quite widely too. What I am saying is that it might have been more obvious to me because of my time living over there.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2023, 08:50:07 pm »
Weirdly, and I'm effectively all UK, id assumed it was a portmanteau of fuck and retard. And despite having never used it is not have considered the connotations. Thanks for the education.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #203 on: July 19, 2023, 01:43:02 pm »
Government giving £half a billion bribe to company owned by foreign billionaires to build a factory, and the foreign company gets to keep all the profits.

Nice racket...

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: July 19, 2023, 01:48:16 pm »
I'm assuming this is the jlr battery factory?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #205 on: July 19, 2023, 01:53:25 pm »
Government giving £half a billion bribe to company owned by foreign billionaires to build a factory, and the foreign company gets to keep all the profits.

Nice racket...

I do not trust governments (of any shade) to put in place safeguards such that in 10 years time when the bribe has worn off, they close down and move to Italy or the like.

The Koreans used subsidies to establish their industry and force competitors (like the UK) out of the market, they are now using subsidies to fend off the Chinese. Industries with a high set up cost can use this 'protection' effectively'. Producing batteries is not high capital set up cost so they will flee when it suits them but this government will get a short term popularity boost in Somerset which is fully conservative but loseable.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 19, 2023, 01:55:17 pm »

I do not trust governments (of any shade) to put in place safeguards such that in 10 years time when the bribe has worn off, they close down and move to Italy or the like.

The Koreans used subsidies to establish their industry and force competitors (like the UK) out of the market, they are now using subsidies to fend off the Chinese. Industries with a high set up cost can use this 'protection' effectively'. Producing batteries is not high capital set up cost so they will flee when it suits them but this government will get a short term popularity boost in Somerset which is fully conservative but loseable.

I've no problem with subsidies from the taxpayer - but the taxpayer should receive a share of the business in return (set up a JV company)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #207 on: July 19, 2023, 02:34:54 pm »

I've no problem with subsidies from the taxpayer - but the taxpayer should receive a share of the business in return (set up a JV company)

I would agree but then the subsidies demanded would be higher, the private sector will want it's full share in order to give up it's cash, especially when they are setting up. I think its vital the due diligence is done to ensure such things as full payment of domestic taxation and minimising overseas sub-contracting are in place.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2023, 09:53:39 am »
Unilever’s 9.4% price rises helped sales to beat analyst forecasts and contributed to rising revenues. Operating profits for the first six months of 2023 rose to €5.5bn (£4.8bn), a 22% increase compared with the previous year.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/25/unilever-marmite-dove-maker-profits-price-rises#:~:text=Unilever%27s%209.4%25%20price%20rises%20helped,compared%20with%20the%20previous%20year.

As I've said - and backed up with articles that quote studies - there's wholesale price gouging happening, using the cover of the energy price spike and inflation generally. Of course their costs have increased - but they've added extra onto prices to scalp bigger profits.

Corporations are the c*nts driving inflation. For their own greed.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2023, 10:11:13 am »
Unilever’s 9.4% price rises helped sales to beat analyst forecasts and contributed to rising revenues. Operating profits for the first six months of 2023 rose to €5.5bn (£4.8bn), a 22% increase compared with the previous year.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/25/unilever-marmite-dove-maker-profits-price-rises#:~:text=Unilever%27s%209.4%25%20price%20rises%20helped,compared%20with%20the%20previous%20year.

As I've said - and backed up with articles that quote studies - there's wholesale price gouging happening, using the cover of the energy price spike and inflation generally. Of course their costs have increased - but they've added extra onto prices to scalp bigger profits.

Corporations are the c*nts driving inflation. For their own greed.

Agree, 100%. Supermarkets and food producers are some of the worst for it. Some items have increased by about 50% and got smaller. Where’s the justification for that? They’ve got the public held to ransom because they know if you want pasta or bread you’ll pay it regardless. Scum of the earth.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2023, 10:20:55 am »
Agree, 100%. Supermarkets and food producers are some of the worst for it. Some items have increased by about 50% and got smaller. Where’s the justification for that? They’ve got the public held to ransom because they know if you want pasta or bread you’ll pay it regardless. Scum of the earth.

I agree.  They've got everyone by the balls and are squeezing hard.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2023, 10:24:42 am »

A couple months ago, someone from the apple grower's trade association was explaining on the radio how apple prices in supermarkets have risen by up to 46%, but growers were only receiving single-figure rises in what they were being paid.

It's gouging, pure and simple.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #212 on: December 1, 2023, 05:58:23 pm »
Pontins down to just 4 sites now, with Prestatyn and Camber Sands closing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67589538

People who've visited Pontins in recent years say its just being run into the ground, which is sad but, when you realise who now owns it, is no surprise.

It's our 'friends', Britannia Hotels. The arseholes who have run - and are still running - the Adelphi into the ground.

Their MO is the same throughout all their hotels: buy on the cheap a struggling, once-very popular hotel that's ripe for refurbishment... but then don't refurbish and sweat the asset until it's falling apart, then sweat it some more. Watch the client-base shift downwards on the social scale until it's just young adults needing a place to crash whilst on a piss-up trip, plus people who live in Rotherham, Hartlepool, Stoke or Wigan (who all walk in a go "Ooooh! This is swanky!").

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: December 1, 2023, 06:04:28 pm »
Pontins down to just 4 sites now, with Prestatyn and Camber Sands closing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-67589538

People who've visited Pontins in recent years say its just being run into the ground, which is sad but, when you realise who now owns it, is no surprise.

It's our 'friends', Britannia Hotels. The arseholes who have run - and are still running - the Adelphi into the ground.

Their MO is the same throughout all their hotels: buy on the cheap a struggling, once-very popular hotel that's ripe for refurbishment... but then don't refurbish and sweat the asset until it's falling apart, then sweat it some more. Watch the client-base shift downwards on the social scale until it's just young adults needing a place to crash whilst on a piss-up trip, plus people who live in Rotherham, Hartlepool, Stoke or Wigan (who all walk in a go "Ooooh! This is swanky!").

The Ainsdale one is fucking gruesome according to the reviews you read/stories in the Mirror. My missus stayed there as a kid and also in her early 20's and said it used to be nice.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #214 on: December 1, 2023, 06:22:55 pm »
Not much sign of Supermarkets gouging in their profit margins anyway.

If you think food prices are bad here pop over to the US and have a laugh at what you are being charged.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: December 1, 2023, 06:26:16 pm »
Sorry, are you saying food costs More in USA, which is less reliant on countries affected by Russia?

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: December 1, 2023, 06:29:33 pm »
The Ainsdale one is fucking gruesome according to the reviews you read/stories in the Mirror. My missus stayed there as a kid and also in her early 20's and said it used to be nice.

We had a school day trip there in the early 80's and it was a decent place.

Britannia are horrible. They've been voted the UK's worst hotel chain by Which? for 11 years running, faced numerous prosecutions for food hygiene failures and health & safety breaches, and its hotels are plagued with damp, mould, stained and threadbare carpets and furnishings.

Here's an article about it in The Post. This is a sample:

If you want to know what “tight controls” “cutting labour costs” and “keeping competitive” look like, I invite you to spend the night in room 428. My room, when I eventually force my way in, is a smorgåsbord of entropy. In an effort to stop me trying to drown my head, the wash basin has been boarded up. The MFI fire sale that passes for furniture is scratched and flimsy, and plastered with more mahogany varnish than the cast of Hollyoaks. But it’s functional. Which is more than can be said of the bathroom.
The door to the ensuite has clearly been kicked through and polyfillered back together many times. It’s hard to say whether previous residents were trying to break into it, or escape from it. When I try to run a shower I’m fairly certain it’s the latter. Only, it’s not really a shower. It’s a length of escaped metal piping that rears up like a King Cobra, spitting scalding water at anyone foolish enough to pull back the blood-stained shower curtain.

I despise Britannia and their vermin owner (reported to be worth around £240m)

Offline Boston always unofficial

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: December 2, 2023, 05:02:41 pm »
Sorry, are you saying food costs More in USA, which is less reliant on countries affected by Russia?

It feels like food prices go up almost every week here in Ma.Along with  poor quality and the downsizing of what ya get,i dunno how things compare to the U.K,but it the corporate greed is strong.  8oz of Cheese was 3.99 yesterday. Coffee creamer 32 fl oz was 4.99,bread el cheapo own brand 20 oz 2.50. Lot of stuff i don't buy anymore.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: December 2, 2023, 06:15:19 pm »
Shrinkflation is more rife than any time I can remember. The supermarkets often still have the old sizes/weights stickered on the shelf. It’s not just dishonest but environmentally unsound. There should be regulation on it.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: December 3, 2023, 10:11:37 am »

Significantly so, when I was visiting last year, some crazy pricing, things like a tub of Philadelphia cheese nearly $6.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: December 5, 2023, 10:11:24 am »
Saw that olive oil in Tesco is over £7. Mad. Was £3.85 last year.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: December 5, 2023, 10:52:13 am »
Saw that olive oil in Tesco is over £7. Mad. Was £3.85 last year.

All cooking oil skyrocketed in price after the Ukraine invasion - Ukraine was one of the main producers of sunflower oil (and the biggest exporter) in the world. That had a knock-on impact on all cooking oils.

Supplies have returned to normal, globally, but we're not seeing prices fall...

There's price gouging going on everywhere as the supposed free market fails.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: December 5, 2023, 10:55:09 am »
For Olive oil I thought it was just bad harvests in the Mediterranean

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: December 5, 2023, 11:03:05 am »

Supplies have returned to normal, globally, but we're not seeing prices fall...

That's impresseive.  Do you know if it's mostly because supply routes from Ukraine are opened up , or if there are other growers?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #224 on: December 5, 2023, 11:14:28 am »

Popeye was furious
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #225 on: December 5, 2023, 11:27:02 am »

It is, yes. Ukraine was massive for the price of sunflower oil and vegetable oil. But olive oil is to do with bad harvests. Spain is the worlds largest producer of olive oil, and prices have spiked here as well. Of course, with climate change, harvests will only continue to get worse, as will the production (and price) of most foods.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: December 5, 2023, 11:45:48 am »
That's impresseive.  Do you know if it's mostly because supply routes from Ukraine are opened up , or if there are other growers?

Ukraine began exporting oil seeds again (the 'Black Sea deal' brokered by Turkey) but, more importantly, Russia ramped up its production in 2023

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: December 6, 2023, 10:11:06 am »

Right on cue!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67565503

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: December 6, 2023, 10:17:00 am »

Right on cue!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-67565503

Ha ha , I saw that.  Looks like we might need to stock up on olive oil before the cheaper stock disappears.
£7 a bottle though !  I thought the £2+ for sunflower was bad enough.

Feel for some countries though, Turkey have got something like 40% inflation and interest rates to match.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: December 6, 2023, 10:56:28 am »
Ha ha , I saw that.  Looks like we might need to stock up on olive oil before the cheaper stock disappears.
£7 a bottle though !  I thought the £2+ for sunflower was bad enough.

Feel for some countries though, Turkey have got something like 40% inflation and interest rates to match.

I picked up a bottle of a special buy olive oil from Aldi a couple months ago when they'd reduced it.

Then found a litre bottle of plain old extra-virgin in the store cupboard when I was having a tidy.

Morrisons also recently had a clearance of some cold-pressed rapeseed oil. I picked up [the last] 2 500ml bottles of their own brand for 90p each from the local, plus some branded for £1.20. Then a few days later was in a different Morrisons and they had their own brand at 60p, so got another couple of bottles.

I'll save the olive oil for dressings, etc and use the rapeseed for cooking.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: December 6, 2023, 12:20:38 pm »
The olive oil prices are killing me.... go through litres of the stuff.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: December 6, 2023, 12:58:50 pm »

Cold-pressed rapeseed oil (I don't mean bog-standard vegetable oil) is just as good for cooking, and is more than passable in dressings.

At present it's less than half the price (Aldi do a 500ml for about £2 IIRC)

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #232 on: December 6, 2023, 06:36:25 pm »
Where’s Don Corleone when you need him?
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #233 on: December 7, 2023, 09:09:07 am »

What Nobby said. 

Cold-pressed rapeseed oil is nutty in flavour and is better for cooking, than olive oil.  It's also grown in the UK too.  Cheaper, healthier (it has a higher heating point than olive oil, so reduced chance of trans fats - the real killers) and less food miles!

Aldi and Lidl's are dirt cheap: £2.50 a bottle (formerly £1.69-99, I think)!
« Last Edit: December 7, 2023, 09:18:36 am by Red-Soldier »

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: December 18, 2023, 10:55:40 am »
A variation on 'shrinkflation' is becoming more normalised.

I got a pack of Fosters lager and it tasted different. Put it down to having a persistent cold these past few weeks but then noticed they've watered it down to 3.7%. They seem to have tried to mask the weaker taste by increasing the hops, and it tastes bad. Like, Carling bad. Totally lost that pleasant slight sweetness (the sort that the milder-tasting Spanish/Mexican lagers like Estrella or Corona have).

It's been a tactic of Carlsberg for years (they re-launch at 4%, then a year or so later, begin to water it down and water it down until it gets to 3.4% pisswater... then they relaunch). But Fosters has always been 4%, since it launched here in the 80's.

And there's also now wine.

Hardy's have watered their reds down now. All Hardy's Stamp and Hardy's VR are watered down to 11% (both from 13%). McGuigan have similarly watered down the 'Bin-' series to 11%, and their Black Label to 12.5%. I've noticed some of Aldi's cheaper glugging wines (their 'Grapevine' brand) also dropping from 13% to 11%.

I'd rather smaller bottles, than ruining the taste of the wine into a watered-down mess.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2023, 07:32:59 am »
Jeez Nobby. Are we really saying fosters is ever nice!
Carlsberg special brew or tenants super all the way 😊.

Anyway came in to say it looks like inflation was a bit lower than predicted, a bit of hope for those whose mortgage fixed rate ends next year.

Online reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2023, 08:35:22 am »
Isn't the lowering of alcohol % to do with the amount of tax duty payable as well as shrinkflation.

Talking of shrinkflation I got my usual meat order from the wholesalers yesterday and we're now getting roughly half the amount of bacon and sausages for the same price we were paying when we first moved here.

Don't get me wrong, it's still 100% worth it compared to the shite in the supermarkets and I can't afford what butchers charge even if it is tastier, which I doubt.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2023, 06:46:51 pm »
The Bank of England are a gang of c*nts. Apparently it’s wage growth that is causing companies to hike their prices. Nothing about them greedy companies trying to maximise its profit.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: December 21, 2023, 09:48:54 am »
The Bank of England are a gang of c*nts. Apparently it’s wage growth that is causing companies to hike their prices. Nothing about them greedy companies trying to maximise its profit.

They're not going to start blaming their mates, are they?

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #239 on: December 21, 2023, 11:42:29 am »

I think the main issue is the economic badging of a "wage price spiral". This is a misleading term as it suggests that wage rises came first and caused all the price rises which, as we all know, is a load of shit.

A better term would be a "price wage spiral" as what has happened is people are demanding increased wages to maintain their purchasing power in the face of factors they had no control over.

The demonisation of this approach from workers and suggesting that we should all just suck it up and accept that we can't afford what we used to is a complete joke.