Author Topic: FT - L'pool 3 v S'hpton 0 - OG Hoedt 10', Matip 21', Mo 45+3'  (Read 38810 times)

Offline Greg86

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Self Amortizing
Re: FT - L'pool 3 v S'hpton 0 - OG Hoedt 10', Matip 21', Mo 45+3'
« Reply #440 on: September 23, 2018, 12:07:53 pm »
In which case I'm looking forward to Shaqiri's tweet. ;D

Think truly big, Alexander-Arnold's next year ;)

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #441 on: September 23, 2018, 12:21:49 pm »
Think truly big, Alexander-Arnold's next year ;)

;) ;D
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #442 on: September 23, 2018, 12:34:21 pm »
Great result, calm performance throughout, good tactical adjustment from Klopp, great to see Shaq & Matip coming in and immediately doing really well.
Good news that Virgil has just a bruised rib, and gave a chance to see Gomez play without him.
A fine win, no problems at all, onto the next matches against Chelsea with no reason at all not to expect and get performances of just a high if not higher standard.

Great work Redmen, let's keep going!!!!
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #443 on: September 23, 2018, 01:05:41 pm »
Fantastically helpful answer that.

Thanks, I try

When the answer is just a few scrolls upwards, or on the latest page of the VVD thread, I probably put in more effort that the guy asking did

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #444 on: September 23, 2018, 01:59:52 pm »
Well managed game did enough in the first to claim the points, saved some legs for the next game and Shaqiri what a brilliant free kick , he  greatly adds to the squad potential.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #445 on: September 23, 2018, 02:22:40 pm »
I thought Shaqiri was outstanding in the 1st half making 2 goals. Hopefully he gets the full 90 on Wednesday, also Gomez played with composure beyond his years when he came on during the 2nd half.

Offline Purple Red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red, Green and White Army
« Reply #446 on: September 23, 2018, 03:16:53 pm »
Good solid win. Glad to see Salah back in amongst the goals and enjoying his football. What was most pleasing was the demonstration of our squad depth which will be crucial if we want to keep this form up. Shiqiri did exceptionally well for it being his first start. Also glad to see Joel Matip back in the ranks. Hopefully his injury plagued days are behind him because he has considerable quality. Such a good feeling around the club at the moment. It's nice to go into games fully expectant of victory rather than just hoping for it. Long may it continue!

Offline Keita Success

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #447 on: September 23, 2018, 03:25:05 pm »
Not enough pace goals.

Offline sempi

• Sees Harry Styles Everywhere
  • Kopite
  • Gary, Gary Mac, he's got no hair but we don't care
« Reply #448 on: September 23, 2018, 03:40:25 pm »
Yes that was my feeling too mate. I am unaccustomed to it. I was almost bored with a routine 3-o win......what a time to be alive!

how do you explain this joy to the wife??? any advice guys? she thinks im crazy to be so pumped about it so many hours later. fair play to anyone who married a fellow red. well played.
Its amazing to think people are saying it's not God enough, we should have tried harder to score more!!😀

Offline keyop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Always eleven, acting as one.
« Reply #449 on: September 23, 2018, 04:09:01 pm »
As controlled a performance at home as we could wish for. Game over by half time, players rested, Salah gets the goal he needed, a clean sheet, and at times it looked like a practice match.

Shaqiri looks like just the player we needed - someone who can play anywhere across the front 3, or just behind the strikers in a roaming role - getting into those spaces between midfield and attack, getting wide, stretching the play, and finding a way through the parked buses. His substitution was nothing other than a case of 'job done', and we changed it up to control the game to the end.

The numbers get better each time you read them. 6 wins from 6 (or 7 from 7 in all competitions), 8 clean sheets on the bounce at Anfield, unbeaten at home since April 2017, 14 goals scored in the league and only 2 conceded. We have individuals having excellent games even though the team is still not fully firing yet, a bench that we could only have dreamed of a few years ago, a bit of rotation to keep the squad fresh, and no worrying injuries so far. We are also restricting the opposition to very few chances and its increasingly difficult to bypass our midfield and defence, with Alisson barely involved for large periods.

It really feels like each week we're witnessing the culmination of all of Klopp and his team's hard graft, coupled with intelligent use of transfer funds, and a highly motivated group of players with talent, determination and team spirit in abundance. Its not even October, yet already big teams have been controlled and beaten, smaller teams outplayed in every part of the pitch, games have been won without playing well, we've held onto leads and managed games, and scored late goals. Its like we've had every type of win so far this season already, and all of this without Fabinho, Lallana, the Ox, and several more quality players in reserve.

Now that Chelsea have dropped points we're top of the league and the early pacesetters, and for the first time in a very long time I have every confidence we can stay the distance this time around. We are no longer reliant on a Gerrard, a Torres, or a Suarez to dig us out of trouble or win a game single handed, nor do we need to score 3-4 goals to win each game. There is quality everywhere you look, no weak links, no passengers, and a strong bench ready and willing when called upon. My heart and fingernails have never been in better shape, and you just sense this time its the real deal - not a false dawn, not seeing things through rose tinted spectacles, and not desparation.

Bring on your Chelsea's, bring on your City's, and give us anyone you like in the cups. We are coming up the hill and this time we're not stopping for anyone.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 05:14:19 pm by keyop »
I've got OCD, but I prefer to call it CDO so it's in alphabetical order.

Offline Linudden

• Twpsyn gwirion. Definitely a Ron DeSantis fanboy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Linudden.
« Reply #450 on: September 23, 2018, 04:24:25 pm »
In which case I'm looking forward to Shaqiri's tweet. ;D

In case Trent's tweet arrives and we still haven't won the league we know it's a curse  ::)
Linudden.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #451 on: September 23, 2018, 06:46:49 pm »
The next 14 days will settle the start of our season as being either good, very good or outstanding.

The Chelsea and City league games are two games that will push us to the limit.

I don’t expect to win both... I can’t help but think that maybe city are due the rub of the green a little... but football doesnt quite work like that does it..?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #452 on: September 23, 2018, 06:53:21 pm »
The next 14 days will settle the start of our season as being either good, very good or outstanding.

The Chelsea and City league games are two games that will push us to the limit.

I don’t expect to win both... I can’t help but think that maybe city are due the rub of the green a little... but football doesnt quite work like that does it..?

The next two games in the league could propel us even more if we can get wins out of both. City havent won at Anfield in a while, so perhaps they're due to get a bit lucky, and they'll be motivated from last season, but as you say football doesn't work like that. The motivation will be there from us as well.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #453 on: September 23, 2018, 07:19:18 pm »
Next 2 league games are the test. Win both and we will be 5 points clear after 8 games. I feel that this season it wont be easy to take points off us, but if any two teams might be able to do it, these two are among the most likely. We have game winners all over the field from the back to the front, from Virgil who will stop everything thrown at us to the point that one goal might be enough, to midfield where our midfielders will make sure that any opposing player who enters our half will never be left in peace to up front where this time if we need goals, we have more than enough quality players to create and get them. 

Offline JURGENKLOPP

• Thou shalt not steal. (books, from St. Thomas More Catholic High School)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #454 on: September 23, 2018, 09:36:38 pm »
We're a great team. What if we actually do it? Oh my goodness!

Offline Miltonred

• Does the "M" in Mod stand for morons?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Does the M in Milton stand for Moron?
« Reply #455 on: September 23, 2018, 09:47:30 pm »
The context of this performance is how it compared to league games after CL matches last year, in which we struggled mightily. Not yesterday. Yesterday we came out of the blocks hungry and got on the score sheet early. Three before the half did not flatter us.

Second half performance was a bit meh, but again needs to be compared with last year and nothing else. So versus LY, when our squad was skinny and changes were makeshift, we brought on high quality replacement players and managed to rest some legs too.

That Salah backheel deserved a goal though. Imagine that goal being played around the world for the rest of the season and years to come.  Inches.

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #456 on: September 23, 2018, 09:50:04 pm »
The context of this performance is how it compared to league games after CL matches last year, in which we struggled mightily. Not yesterday. Yesterday we came out of the blocks hungry and got on the score sheet early. Three before the half did not flatter us.

Second half performance was a bit meh, but again needs to be compared with last year and nothing else. So versus LY, when our squad was skinny and changes were makeshift, we brought on high quality replacement players and managed to rest some legs too.

That Salah backheel deserved a goal though. Imagine that goal being played around the world for the rest of the season and years to come.  Inches.

Reminded me of Henry's backheel against Charlton.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #457 on: September 23, 2018, 10:05:26 pm »
The Shaqiri freekick deserved a goal too. If that had gone in, it would have made the top 10 list of Shaqiri goals. Now its just Mo Salah poking home a goal from inches out.  >:(

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #458 on: September 23, 2018, 10:55:03 pm »
The Shaqiri freekick deserved a goal too. If that had gone in, it would have made the top 10 list of Shaqiri goals. Now its just Mo Salah poking home a goal from inches out.  >:(

Not only was it a poke, it was a pace poke.

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #459 on: September 23, 2018, 11:07:43 pm »
😂😂😂

Offline GucciMane

• Anny Roader
« Reply #460 on: September 23, 2018, 11:22:18 pm »
Don’t know if I even posted after this match but Shaqiri was the most excellent outlet, like Oxlade was in midseason. Imagine Shaqiri and Keita what a headache for the negative teams of the league. I don’t really remember but I’m sure Firmino and Salahs g/a was boosted by someone like Ox as he allowed them to drop deep. 

Good to see Joel Matip forgot about him completely thought he got loaned. All of the lads were excellent in the first half. Second was controlled and boring. Sadio should shoot more. He tees up passes in dangerous positions. His goal against City was excellent he can do it more. What a pass for the own goal love that reverse pass. All in all good performance. What do you guys think will be the starting 11 in the Carbao Cup?

Offline LondonLFCFan

• No new LFC topics
  • Main Stander
« Reply #461 on: September 24, 2018, 12:00:09 am »
I would argue that the tactical bit was starting Shaqiri in the first place.

It was a wildly imbalanced starting line up that encouraged Southampton to come out of their shell. Sit back and allow the likes of Shaqiri, Mane, Bobby and Mo to run riot or meet fire with fire. Hughes went with the meet fire with fire option and ended up fighting heat seeking missiles with pea shooters.

The best bit was Jurgen's 'we didn't have time to work on the defensive shape because of the weather line'

The truth is that parking the bus is now a gamble because we might overload the attacking positions, however we might play our normal game and look to dominate.

:wellin

Exactly how I see it. With the addition of Shaqiri and given the free roam and tearing away at the opposition like an eager Duracell bunny, we now have the machinery to bulldoze past buses park across the goal mouth.

Last season, when we were leading during half-time, we were letting in goals. Klopp is not falling for that again this season.
Hence, the change at half-time.

We don't have to keep on trying to score as many as possible in a game. 3-0 lead is good enough. Don't have to go all 'gung ho' and try to impress with 5 goals like some team does.  ::)

We now have a formation and a way of playing that we have been working on. To control and comfortably see out a game without committing too much in the attack that leave us vulnerable. And yet, our counter is lethal with the speed of our front 3 putting fear to the opponent. Tactical.  ;)

Domination.  8)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2018, 12:09:40 am by LondonLFCFan »
We are in good hands now under Klopp and FSG. Fantastic time as LFC supporter. Exciting times !

We will never forget you Mr Rafa Benitez for what you have done for us. Thank you.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=256378.msg6822596#msg6822596

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=293625.msg10340260#msg1034

Offline Geppvindh's

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #462 on: September 24, 2018, 07:33:39 am »
Have that difficulty also with my wife. Thank God my boy is 10 and really shows interest in Liverpool. So I have someone to share this excitement; although I had trouble consoling him after losing to Madrid and my wife scolded me for getting him into this.  :D

My wife went from watching no football to becoming Liverpool mad. Went and got herself every home and away kit the past two years. She's been watching the reds only since Klopp came in and has been spoilt rotten watching us play good football and yells at the TV these days with each misplaced pass. Had to educate her on the owl years and temper expectations!

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #463 on: September 24, 2018, 08:21:58 am »
Whilst I willed Shaq's free kick to go in, I was delighted for Salah getting on the score sheet and his smile was enough to make my weekend.

Onwards we go.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline vinothmct

• Kopite
« Reply #464 on: September 24, 2018, 08:34:20 am »
As controlled a performance at home as we could wish for. Game over by half time, players rested, Salah gets the goal he needed, a clean sheet, and at times it looked like a practice match.

Shaqiri looks like just the player we needed - someone who can play anywhere across the front 3, or just behind the strikers in a roaming role - getting into those spaces between midfield and attack, getting wide, stretching the play, and finding a way through the parked buses. His substitution was nothing other than a case of 'job done', and we changed it up to control the game to the end.

The numbers get better each time you read them. 6 wins from 6 (or 7 from 7 in all competitions), 8 clean sheets on the bounce at Anfield, unbeaten at home since April 2017, 14 goals scored in the league and only 2 conceded. We have individuals having excellent games even though the team is still not fully firing yet, a bench that we could only have dreamed of a few years ago, a bit of rotation to keep the squad fresh, and no worrying injuries so far. We are also restricting the opposition to very few chances and its increasingly difficult to bypass our midfield and defence, with Alisson barely involved for large periods.

It really feels like each week we're witnessing the culmination of all of Klopp and his team's hard graft, coupled with intelligent use of transfer funds, and a highly motivated group of players with talent, determination and team spirit in abundance. Its not even October, yet already big teams have been controlled and beaten, smaller teams outplayed in every part of the pitch, games have been won without playing well, we've held onto leads and managed games, and scored late goals. Its like we've had every type of win so far this season already, and all of this without Fabinho, Lallana, the Ox, and several more quality players in reserve.

Now that Chelsea have dropped points we're top of the league and the early pacesetters, and for the first time in a very long time I have every confidence we can stay the distance this time around. We are no longer reliant on a Gerrard, a Torres, or a Suarez to dig us out of trouble or win a game single handed, nor do we need to score 3-4 goals to win each game. There is quality everywhere you look, no weak links, no passengers, and a strong bench ready and willing when called upon. My heart and fingernails have never been in better shape, and you just sense this time its the real deal - not a false dawn, not seeing things through rose tinted spectacles, and not desparation.

Bring on your Chelsea's, bring on your City's, and give us anyone you like in the cups. We are coming up the hill and this time we're not stopping for anyone.

Nothing critical. We have to be cautiously optimistic.
You cannot be in the Race for Title before christmas but you can certainly drop out of Title Race before christmas. We just have it take it game by game. Dont put too much pressure on players.

2009. 2014, 2016,2018 - These are the years where we came so close but ended up with nothing. Even a couple of bad decisions can change a title race.

Lets see how it goes. We can't say in November we will win the league. Its good to be in the mix for sure. As klopp always say lets see where we are at the end of March and we take it from there

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #465 on: September 24, 2018, 08:40:04 am »
Keita has been surprisingly quiet and while has been adequate at his role, he has not really turned in a truly outstanding performance yet. Is he having adjustment difficulties?

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #466 on: September 24, 2018, 09:41:27 am »
Why ?

We have a young squad of hugely talented players. All we need to do is to improve year on year. Klopp improves players, Klopp is fantastic in terms of recruitment. Keep improving and the trophies will take care of themselves.

This time next year Klopp will have improved our players and Klopp will have recruited again. Stop reacting to arbitrary targets set by our enemies and enjoy the ride.

Absolutely 100% on the money this.

If for whatever reason we don't manage to win the league, or any trophy this year, the absolutey crucial thing to retain is the current unity between manager, players, fans. We're all in this together. With enough time, silverware will flow.

To move onto the game, it was an enjoyable first 45 to watch, occasionally nervy, and a brilliantly dull second half.

Could see exactly why Klopp changed it at halftime, though still thought it was harsh on Shaq. Could maybe have taken Mane off and pushed him forwards instead? I dunno. Seemed harsh on the lad. Like I said, you could see why. Robbo in particular was having a lot of threat to deal with in that first half. They got in time and time again down our left and a combo of Van Dijk being a collosus, poor delivery, and last ditch wide defending kept them out. Their best moment of the half came from a similar position down our right, the excellent Bertrand pulling a great ball back and a miskick.

Matip grew into the game. Ended it well, but I'm not a huge fan of his. Hope he's used fleetingly this season, personally think he can be bullied by a particular type of striker. Certainly wouldn't wanna see him up against a Mitrovic, Deeney, lukaku, Costa type. That said he adds a lot of value to the team when we have the ball, which was a lot, so yesterday was a perfect game for him. Special mentions as well to Van Dijk, who was supreme before going off, and Gomez, who was just as good in the time he had. No secret now, but we have a hell of a player there.

Great to see Shaq make a huge contribution on his first competitive start, the free kick was amazingly hit. Shame it didn't go in off the bar.

Summing up - a professional, controlled win. A big three points, and further signs that we're learning. No lack of desire today. No complacency. A lot of that stemming from the cooperation for places in my mind. No way Shaq takes his foot off the gas yesterday for example. Points secured after the high of PSG.

Bring on Chelsea, Napoli and City. Cannot wait.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #467 on: September 24, 2018, 09:43:15 am »
missed the first half of this game and was updated by a few mates saying we were 2-0, then 3-0 and cruising so decided not to bother too much about watching the rest of it by scrambling for a stream.

Happy with the lineup (couple players getting a rest and the ones stepping in doing well), happy with the fact we're still 100%.......and happy we are now deservedly top of the league.

Nothing wrong with being a liverpool fan right about now :)
Enjoying it as long as this run continues
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #468 on: September 24, 2018, 09:54:31 am »
Referee wasn't even noticeable for a change. Thought they made a few mistakes, but understandable ones.

Not a bad performance. Probably the first time I've said that about a Prem ref for a couple of years.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline christofu

• Anny Roader
« Reply #469 on: September 24, 2018, 10:20:39 am »
Keita has been surprisingly quiet and while has been adequate at his role, he has not really turned in a truly outstanding performance yet. Is he having adjustment difficulties?
adjusting - sure
adjustment difficulties - not so sure - Klopp's midfield role's are pretty complex and seem to take months for players to learn. Keita played under a similar system at Leipzig so would be further ahead than Fabinho for example (as Klopp mentioned) but its still going to take him some time. I think he's been good thus far, plus we have had some incredible performances in midfield providing some healthy competition so I don't think there is any rush to play him any more than needed. Looking forward to the next few weeks with the added games and getting to see more of the squad show what they can do!

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #470 on: September 24, 2018, 10:55:30 am »
My wife went from watching no football to becoming Liverpool mad. Went and got herself every home and away kit the past two years. She's been watching the reds only since Klopp came in and has been spoilt rotten watching us play good football and yells at the TV these days with each misplaced pass. Had to educate her on the owl years and temper expectations!

;D

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #471 on: September 24, 2018, 11:13:15 am »
A great result for us and its good to make a gap at the top going into the next 2 league games.

It was particularly satisfying to see us take them on and finish the game early on, with little or no dramas. Obviously got a bit of luck with the OG, but it was Shaq's good work and Mane's pass that made the goal. Shaq's free kick deserved a goal itself.

Lot's of speculation over Shaq's subbing at HT. I'm guessing there were certain aspects of his game that Klopp wants than purely an overall defensive issue. Yes, we may have been a little open but I don't think that was an issue for this game. This is something I really want to see a round table on to increase our understanding of our overall strategy.

A fairly poor 2nd half (as a spectacle) but may be that is a sign of our maturing as a team. We saw last year where we dropped from 90min pressing to more a more considered pressing hard in specific stages of a game. Now game management is the one to develop. In previous times we would've gone all out to destroy Soton in the 2nd half, now it's about keeping control and keeping something in the tank for later.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #472 on: September 24, 2018, 11:35:36 am »
Referee wasn't even noticeable for a change. Thought they made a few mistakes, but understandable ones.

Not a bad performance. Probably the first time I've said that about a Prem ref for a couple of years.
Agreed. Was noticeable that he tried to let the game flow.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #473 on: September 24, 2018, 11:37:41 am »
Jurgen Klopp has dismissed fears Xherdan Shaqiri will be affected by his surprise substitution – as he revealed how Liverpool's players are rallying around Mohamed Salah.

Shaqiri, making his first start for the club following his summer move from Stoke City, had a hand in two goals as the Reds maintained their 100% start to the season with a 3-0 Premier League win over Southampton at Anfield on Saturday.

Klopp tweaked his regular formation to accommodate the Switzerland international in an attacking midfield role, but then reverted to his usual approach by replacing the 26-year-old with James Milner for the second half.

But the Reds boss has no concerns Shaqiri's confidence could have taken a knock as a result.

“No, because I explained it (to him),” said Klopp. “Now it is done. It's not because of his performance, I made a decision that I wanted to bring him in to play between the lines.

“But how can you change a system in an intense period? Changing system and not having real time to do it in training doesn't feel comfortable.

“You saw it. Defensively we are used to jumping from midfield positions, and on Saturday that made it difficult. Offensively, really I liked it. Defensively, we need to work on it.

“I'm not worried it will cost his confidence. He is a naturally confident boy, and he will play again. It's all good.”

Shaqiri's shot deflected in off Southampton defender Wesley Hoedt for the opener, and it was after his 25-yard free-kick struck the crossbar that Salah scored on the stroke of half-time.

That was his third goal in seven appearances this season, only one fewer than his tally at this stage last term despite criticism in some quarters over his performances in recent weeks.

Salah had come close on several occasions on Saturday before scoring, and Klopp pointed to the obvious delight shown by his Liverpool team-mates when celebrating the goal.

“The boys are really smart, they know we need him in a good moment,” said the Reds boss. “That's clear.

“They don't celebrate a goal for Mo more than they do for Sadio or Joel Matip, in fact they were probably quite happy with Joel as well, it's been a while since he last scored. The group is a very good group. They want to support each other if they can.

“A lot of people after three games this season were asking 'wow, what changed?' (about Salah), but he still had good moments in the game on Saturday.

“The chance he missed with the backheel, that was one of the best situations he has had since he came here, and only missed the goal by an inch.

“That's unlucky. Last year, these balls were all going in. You have to work for that again.

“We need to all stay confident in these moments, not only him. If the players helped him with the celebration, then I wouldn't be surprised as they are a really good group.”
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-boss-jurgen-klopp-addresses-15190913.amp?__twitter_impression=true

Offline mkingdon

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #474 on: September 24, 2018, 01:01:58 pm »
There's something special happening at LFC.

When I was a kid in the 80s, wins like this, against "lesser" sides were routine, just like Saturday. We were (are) just too good for the likes of Southampton.

We have made an excellent start, and have hardly got going and we still have oodles of talent pretty much unused this season, such is our depth now (Fabinho, Sturridge, Shaqiri, Clyne, Matip, Lovren).

I am desperately trying not to get carried away after seven games and imagine what if....but feck me, what if??

We are very capable of winning the league and pretty much any competition we play in. We just need a gentle following wind, a touch of luck here and there.......Yep, keep repeating, it's only seven games!!!  ::)

:o

Offline Grand Chilli

• Main Stander
« Reply #475 on: September 24, 2018, 01:16:35 pm »
In all seriousness, I'm still surprised every time I watch a replay that he beats the defender to it...

Offline cross eyed redneck

• pound shop Owen Jones
  • Main Stander
« Reply #476 on: September 24, 2018, 01:56:38 pm »
As routine a win as I've ever seen. I'm glad Mario got a goal as I think he'll not get many other chances to play this season

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #477 on: September 24, 2018, 02:15:37 pm »
As routine a win as I've ever seen. I'm glad Mario got a goal as I think he'll not get many other chances to play this season

Mario?

Offline cross eyed redneck

• pound shop Owen Jones
  • Main Stander

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #479 on: September 24, 2018, 03:34:38 pm »
The individual performances of Joel Matip and Xherdan Shaqiri against Southampton gave Jürgen Klopp the proof Liverpool can make changes and win.

Matip came into the starting line-up at Anfield on Saturday for the first time since March and helped his side secure an eighth consecutive Premier League clean sheet at home as well as popping up with the second goal in the 3-0 victory.

Shaqiri, meanwhile, enjoyed a productive 45 minutes on his full Reds debut, playing a part in the first and third strikes before being withdrawn at half-time for tactical reasons.

Klopp already had faith that any alterations in personnel to his team would not negatively affect performance levels – but nevertheless took satisfaction from seeing the evidence for real.

“Shaq between the lines – I liked that. He was very influential and made two goals, very good. And Joel… not a bad header! It helped, that’s all good,” the manager told Liverpoolfc.com.

“And it’s good for us to know that we can make changes and still win football games. We knew it before but sometimes you have to prove it and that’s what we did.”

Liverpool’s victory over Saints extended their 100 per cent start to the season to seven games and set a new club record for successive wins in all competitions from the beginning of a campaign.

But with back-to-back fixtures against Chelsea this week to be followed by a Champions League trip to Napoli and the visit of Manchester City, the boss sees no reason to celebrate yet.

“We could have scored more, right, but they caused us real problems; I don’t think they had a lot of chances, maybe Austin at the end was the biggest one, but they played good football,” said Klopp.

“We gave a bit, but still you have to use it and that’s what they did. That was really good and brave of Southampton. We scored all three goals after set-pieces and had other chances, which is good, and didn’t use them.

“It’s really all OK but it’s not that I’m over the moon and struggle to get my arms down or whatever. I’m fine with that but I know we have to carry on.”

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/317729-jurgen-klopp-liverpool-southampton-reaction