Author Topic: Steven Gerrard  (Read 220180 times)

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Steven Gerrard
« Reply #880 on: November 16, 2020, 01:40:32 pm »
Liverpool team doctor Andrew Massey after having to stitch Steven Gerrard's penis back together following an FA Cup tie against Bournemouth in January 2014:

“Stevie came over to me at the end of the match and said, ‘Doc, you are going to have to have a look at this’.

“I looked down and saw blood everywhere and thought, ‘Wow, that must be really sore’.

“I was trying to think back to my medical training and nowhere in my training does it teach you how to stitch a penis.

“I thought, ‘I don’t want the first penis I’ve stitched to be Steven Gerrard’s but it was’.”

I think Gerrard revealed this himself some years ago. I remember it because he said he turned to Massey at the end to ask the important question:
'Can I play against Everton next week?'

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #881 on: November 22, 2020, 02:51:36 pm »
11 points clear now, doing a really good job.

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #882 on: November 23, 2020, 02:52:45 am »
11 points clear now, doing a really good job.

Haven't conceded a goal at home in 8 matches. Have only conceded in 2 of 15 matches.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #883 on: November 24, 2020, 04:58:03 pm »
Fair play to Stevie G. He is doing a great job at Rangers. He faced an uphill battle coming into Ibrox. All the cards seemed stacked against hlm. He has recruited superbly which bodes well for him in management. It realistically takes three seasons to build a side. The Rangers board deserve credit for sticking with him after the collapse in form last season. They believe in him and are reaping the dividends now. I expect Rangers to go on and win the league this season. This will put him in the Ibrox hall of legends alongside Souness and Smith. Hats off to him.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #884 on: November 24, 2020, 05:01:10 pm »
Fair play to Stevie G. He is doing a great job at Rangers. He faced an uphill battle coming into Ibrox.

I think that's something people should massively take into account. He didn't walk into a winning side, or even one close to being so. They'd finished 3rd the two seasons prior and have continually had plenty of shit going on behind the scenes business wise.

He's done a cracking job so far.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #885 on: November 24, 2020, 05:46:45 pm »
Just checked the table and they've concede 3 goals in 15 games. That's an outrageous record.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #886 on: November 24, 2020, 06:16:02 pm »
It's clear which manager rubbed off him the most

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #887 on: November 24, 2020, 07:45:35 pm »
I would think the pressure Stevie G is under this season is horrendous. No Rangers manager wants to be the one who presided over Ibrox as Celtic won 10 in a row. He has shown admirable bravery to take up the job.
I think his appointment was with a view to stopping the 10 IAR for Celtic. He has spent 32m pounds since his appointment. Small beer by English standards huge by Scottish. The fact that Rangers directors have bankrolled such investment is testament to the importance put on stopping 10 IAR. As has been alluded to it looks like he has been influenced by Rafa when you see how miserly their defence is this season. Traditionally all great sides were built from the back.

In terms of what he was up against well Celtic had won 7 straight league titles. This gave them access to champions league qualification and cash. Also Celtic's model has been to sell a key player each season to balance the books. As an acknowledgment of the importance of this season Celtic have not sold a key player. Indeed they have spent nearly 20m pounds between permanent signings and loans. Rangers themselves were only back in the Premiership since 2016 due to SFA punishment for financial irregularities. As I said earlier Rangers have speculated in pursuance of stopping the 10 IAR. I guess they hope that a league win will give them access to Champions League money. As it happens I believe Scottish clubs will have two places in the Champions League qualifiers.

It will be interesting what happens if Rangers win the league next year. Will Stevie G stick around to try his hand at the Champions League. Either way he has made an excellent start to his managerial career.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #888 on: November 24, 2020, 09:09:23 pm »
He is doing well as flying this season but the standards up there cant be that great can they? You play the same 11 teams this year four times and at least half of those teams are fodder to the likes of Rangers and Celtic. Will be interesting to see how it pans out as in 2018 Rangers finished second with 78 points. This year they are on course for 100 so if that happens then SG will be proud of the improvement. It will still be a huge step to move to manage a club in the PL and he has to gain a few more years of experience surely before managing us. 
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #889 on: November 24, 2020, 10:38:04 pm »
He is doing well as flying this season but the standards up there cant be that great can they? You play the same 11 teams this year four times and at least half of those teams are fodder to the likes of Rangers and Celtic. Will be interesting to see how it pans out as in 2018 Rangers finished second with 78 points. This year they are on course for 100 so if that happens then SG will be proud of the improvement. It will still be a huge step to move to manage a club in the PL and he has to gain a few more years of experience surely before managing us. 

It's not just the Scottish league though. They were knocked out of the EL in the qualifying stages by a team from Luxembourg under the previous manager. Gerrard has got them into the group stages every season at the very least, with some impressive results along the way. Just like us, he's been turning Rangers into a European force whilst building it up for a domestic challenge should Celtic falter. Given their record at Ibrox, if Rangers should win the SPL, few would bet against them getting through the qualifiers into the CL group stage.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #890 on: November 24, 2020, 10:55:56 pm »
Just checked the table and they've concede 3 goals in 15 games. That's an outrageous record.
Blimey, didn’t realise that, impressive stat.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #891 on: November 25, 2020, 11:21:38 am »
It's Europe as others have said where the improvement has been astonishing - the league form given the spend was always likely to take them close to Celtic, even though the way they are currently running away with it has shocked me, in a good way.

As has been said, they went from losing in EL qualification to Luxembourgian part-timers, to last season where they beat Feyenoord, Porto (including getting a draw in Portugal) and Braga before coming a cropper against Leverkusen, a Champions League perennial. That was a seriously impressive run that raised a few eyebrows.

I'm surprised no one paid the money they wanted for Morelos, he got 29 goals in 47 appearances last season, fantastic numbers. I suppose his disciplinary record and lack of record in a bigger league put people off given Rangers want around £20m.

Stevie's doing a grand job so far to be fair.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #892 on: November 26, 2020, 04:57:37 am »
Doing an amazing job, hope he sees it out. At some point he is gonna have to throw away the Europa to concentrate on stopping Celtic. They will get into gear soon you have to imagine

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #893 on: November 26, 2020, 09:31:04 am »
Doing an amazing job, hope he sees it out. At some point he is gonna have to throw away the Europa to concentrate on stopping Celtic. They will get into gear soon you have to imagine

Rangers will likely lose when they come up against serious competition. Which is how it is. But they will be looking to polish up their European reputation.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #894 on: November 26, 2020, 08:55:03 pm »

Think they’ll go out before they get to the stage of having to throw it away. Plus I seriously doubt they’d make that call if they did get to that stage.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #895 on: November 27, 2020, 08:58:29 am »

Whilst a lot of people may think the same way as you do, Rangers aren't in a position to throw games away in Europe. They are in dire need of money and the tv revenue that comes with the longer they stay in Europe, the better for them.

If they are knocked out in Europe, it will be down to coming up against a decent team as opposed to chucking the towel in.
We'll visit the Folies Bergeres,
They like to see the Scousers there,
The women are lovely with skin like a peach,
But no one can move it like Kenny Dalglish.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #896 on: November 27, 2020, 01:03:54 pm »
Whilst a lot of people may think the same way as you do, Rangers aren't in a position to throw games away in Europe. They are in dire need of money and the tv revenue that comes with the longer they stay in Europe, the better for them.

If they are knocked out in Europe, it will be down to coming up against a decent team as opposed to chucking the towel in.

IIRC winning one game in the EL in the group stages earns them more than winning the Scottish Cup.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #897 on: November 27, 2020, 02:25:37 pm »
IIRC winning one game in the EL in the group stages earns them more than winning the Scottish Cup.

That may indeed be the case but for Gerrard and Rangers, they could soon build enough of a cushion in the league to allow them to go as far as they can in the Europa League. They will be able to rest players in the league once the Europa restarts, if their lead is in double figures. The longer Lennon stays at Celtic and their malaise continues, the easier a job Gerrard has. I don't see Lennon reigning this Rangers team in right now.

And lets not forget, the experience of the knockout stages for Rangers will be invaluable for both the players and manager.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #898 on: November 27, 2020, 02:53:38 pm »
Showed my ignorance to their financial plight with that throwaway comment, silly of me. It's easy to forget that Gerrard has spent alot (in Scottish terms) since being appointed and they need to recoup some money

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #899 on: November 27, 2020, 02:55:38 pm »

€570k for a win, €190k for a draw.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #900 on: November 27, 2020, 03:01:57 pm »
€570k for a win, €190k for a draw.

From last year's figures, and this year's won't be much higher if at all, the winner of the Scottish Cup gets around 500k for 6 or 7 matches minimum. EL success is big money in Scottish terms, especially if they can flog Morelos from the exposure he's getting.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #901 on: November 27, 2020, 03:52:20 pm »
From last year's figures, and this year's won't be much higher if at all, the winner of the Scottish Cup gets around 500k for 6 or 7 matches minimum. EL success is big money in Scottish terms, especially if they can flog Morelos from the exposure he's getting.

They have struggled to shift him (so far) because of the money they are asking for him. They didn't have any takers at £20m, such is the mistrust of some PL clubs of players plying their their trade in Scotland. Sheffield United chose to spend £23m on Brewster, when someone like Morelos could have suited them better.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #902 on: November 27, 2020, 03:56:40 pm »
They have struggled to shift him (so far) because of the money they are asking for him. They didn't have any takers at £20m, such is the mistrust of some PL clubs of players plying their their trade in Scotland. Sheffield United chose to spend £23m on Brewster, when someone like Morelos could have suited them better.

His discipline, or total lack of it, is probably just as much of an issue too.

Offline Sorted!!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bosso Ngenkani.
« Reply #903 on: November 27, 2020, 04:11:02 pm »
The tinder box nature of an Old Firm game will get to anyone, to be fair. I think Gerrard has sorted out his disciplinary issues. I still reckon there are teams in the PL that can benefit from his goals if they signed him in Jan, especially those in the relegation zone.

Offline Sangria

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #904 on: November 27, 2020, 05:13:59 pm »
The tinder box nature of an Old Firm game will get to anyone, to be fair. I think Gerrard has sorted out his disciplinary issues. I still reckon there are teams in the PL that can benefit from his goals if they signed him in Jan, especially those in the relegation zone.

Gerrard's retired now.
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #905 on: December 1, 2020, 06:46:25 pm »
Thought this was a pretty good look at Gerrard as a player during his prime - https://moesquare.medium.com/football-flashbacks-steven-gerrard-9bd5b99b481d

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #906 on: December 3, 2020, 06:09:45 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #907 on: December 4, 2020, 08:36:59 am »
Probably tops my list of ex players I wish we had at his peak right now in this team under Klopp. He’d absolutely take us to a complete other level.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #908 on: December 4, 2020, 10:43:10 am »
I'm just here for the Predator Manias.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #909 on: December 4, 2020, 01:22:30 pm »
Probably tops my list of ex players I wish we had at his peak right now in this team under Klopp. He’d absolutely take us to a complete other level.

It'd take a team from Mars to beat us...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Gods_Left_Boot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #910 on: December 5, 2020, 12:32:36 pm »

Peak Stevie as one of our 8s would be unfair, we'd be up there in terms of greatest club side of the last 50 years.
September 12, 2012:Truth today, justice tomorrow.

Oliver Kay ‏@OliverKayTimes
Those who've campaigned for the truth on Hillsborough were once a suppressed minority. Now the minority are those left clinging to the lies.

My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #911 on: December 7, 2020, 12:14:53 am »

Christ it’d be frightening and actually a bit obscene in parts

Wed win it all

At the current moment though I’d go for peak hyypia/Hansen 😂
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Online ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #912 on: December 19, 2020, 12:55:53 pm »
Not bad to be honest.

Rangers have played 17, won 15 and drawn 2. GF 47, GA 4. And on 47 points.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #913 on: December 26, 2020, 01:56:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/TheAthleticUK/status/1342753265142915073

"Would I love to be the coach of #LFC one day, is it a dream? Yes. But right now we have one of the best managers in the world if not the best. Just because I was a good player for LFC & had the career I had, it doesn't mean you're next in line to be manager."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #914 on: December 27, 2020, 04:20:07 am »
I can't say I care too much for Rangers, but it's good to see Gerrard doing well.

To be honest, I don't really envisage him as a future Liverpool manager, but who knows?

I don't think sentimentality works at big clubs, but maybe he'll prove himself to be a genuine future option rather than a sentimental option.

Time will tell...
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #915 on: December 28, 2020, 06:02:01 pm »
I can't say I care too much for Rangers, but it's good to see Gerrard doing well.

To be honest, I don't really envisage him as a future Liverpool manager, but who knows?

I don't think sentimentality works at big clubs, but maybe he'll prove himself to be a genuine future option rather than a sentimental option.

Time will tell...

We’ve seen ourselves how it can work. However that player also needs to prove they have the ability to take on that role.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #916 on: January 2, 2021, 11:12:26 am »
Win today and that’s a huge step towards the title.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #917 on: January 2, 2021, 11:15:10 am »
Win today and that’s a huge step towards the title.

I'm going to have to put aside my life-long obsession with Third Lanark and hope that Rangers win the title this year. Come on Stevie.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #918 on: January 2, 2021, 11:40:20 am »
I'm going to have to put aside my life-long obsession with Third Lanark and hope that Rangers win the title this year. Come on Stevie.
Ha ha, yeah me too. Don’t give two hoots about Scottish footbae but would love Stevie to win a title as a manager.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #919 on: January 2, 2021, 06:33:14 pm »
Brilliant result for him today. Their record is phenomenal this season, it's not even just about being top of the table- five goals conceded in the league all season, their run in Europe which has continued from last season as well. He's doing a tremendous job.

People say he'll need to prove it at a higher level before coming here, to be honest getting European success with Rangers and dominating the league there for a few years would be a massive step. I don't know what he could possibly gain towards getting the Liverpool job by managing a mid range Championship club or even a mid table Premier League club- it's a different game entirely to what he'd be facing at Liverpool. Taking one of the stronger teams in a league, improving them with your coaching and signings, get them dominating and regularly beating lesser teams, consistently showing up in Europe; that's the template for any Liverpool manager.

I'm not getting carried away, it's obviously miles off yet, but IMO at least he is doing absolutely everything right at the moment.