Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Wolves v Liverpool, Molineux 23rd Jan 20:00GMT BT Sport  (Read 30126 times)

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Wolves v Liverpool, Molineux 23rd Jan 20:00GMT BT Sport
« Reply #80 on: January 21, 2020, 12:25:48 pm »
Tough game, probably one of the trickiest left on paper. Wolves don't lose too many and got a really good result at the weekend, but they do struggle at times in games, take going 2 down to Southampton, conceding 2 against City who were playing with 10 men, and losing at Watford, who were also missing a man for a period. I'd like to go their and silence their fans, who seem like your typical midlands gobshites. Their cryarsing about VAR has done my head in all season, fucking tits.

Alisson
Trent   Gomez   VVD   Robertson
Fabinho
Hendo   Gini
Salah   Bobby   Mane

I'd bring Fabinho back in for tactical reasons. I thought he'd be playing the Shrewsbury game to ease him back in, but after coming on to see the United game out, he's probably fit enough to start this. Doesn't mean he has to do a full 90 I suppose. Other than that we can go with the strongest side we can, considering practically all will miss the cup game, which is a great chance to give squad players and returning injured players minutes, the likes of Matip, and possibly even Lovren if he's fit. Any sort of win here will do, to move us one step closer and hopefully win this title in record time.

COME ON THE FUCKIN CHAMPIONS OF EUROPE!!!!!!
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2020, 12:27:40 pm »
I think it has more to do with those other teams having midweek games as well. Our squad is probably the strongest or second-strongest in the whole league now and therefore we can rotate and keep our quality relatively the same - teams like Leicester can't. We tend to start big games rather slowly and grow into the game, which is what we did vs Man Utd, the game could and should have been finished around Minute 60 with a 3 or 4 goal lead.

We're almost twenty fucking points clear of our nearest rivals, of course our squad is the strongest.

Some of you need to do a lot more work on the absolute unbearable arrogance we need to be rubbing in the faces of all the other teams in the league that have the horrible misfortune of not being liverpool football club.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2020, 12:38:11 pm »
I didn't watch the highlights of their Southampton game but did they change anything fundamentally from being 2-0 down to winning 2-3 or was it just a case of "upping their game"?  They had a similar game against Norwich a few weeks ago where they should have been out of it at half-time but ended up coming back to win.

They started with Traore on the left, which was strange, then switched him back to the right at 1-0 down. This didn't change anything, so at half time they put him upfront with Jimenez and dropped Neto into a proper number 10. Southampton didn't know what to do as they had obviously planned to double up on Traore out wide. Left them with a lot of holes.

We started the Utd game very sluggishly and overall had some really sloppy periods of play followed by ridiculously intense periods which were unable to sustain - a bit like the Spurs game.

I don't think we started slugglishly against United at all. We just deliberately played it long because they were pressing us and because we didn't want to give them a chance to counter attack like they did to City.

And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline Fiasco

• Just add water to foam at the mouth. Can't spell San Francisco. Has promised to eat his own cock. Cannibal Self-Harm in that case.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96.
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2020, 12:43:24 pm »
Wolves wont sit and defend, especially not at home. We might concede but if it ends up being an open game we should have too much for them. They're a very good side though and out of any other side in the league it is worth catching their games. Nuno Espirito Santo has done a cracking job there.

I could see Origi starting here, maybe for Mane or Bobby. Fabinho should be good for an hour and might come in for Henderson or Gini as they both probably still haven't stopped running from Sunday.

I'll go for a 3-1 win to us.

Offline wige

• wiggy-woo!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2020, 12:49:43 pm »
Personally think we'll bring Fab in for Ox with rest of team remaining as is. Sunday to Thursday is fine.

FA Cup/Shrewsbury is the place to rotate:

Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren/Gomez, Larouci, Lallana, Ox, Minamino, Origi, Elliot, Shaqiri

Then back to the Wolves team for West Ham

Offline Petadroli

• Legacy Fan
  • Swiss Red
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2020, 12:51:38 pm »
We're almost twenty fucking points clear of our nearest rivals, of course our squad is the strongest.

Some of you need to do a lot more work on the absolute unbearable arrogance we need to be rubbing in the faces of all the other teams in the league that have the horrible misfortune of not being liverpool football club.

Hahaha ;D

While I do agree with you, our squad is still only valued as the second-highest worth in the world behind ManCity's. But on recent showings (last 12 months) there is no argument anymore. We have the strongest squad.
Last resort if you need tickets in Switzerland.

Offline MJD-L4

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Mellor, lovely cushioned header...For GERRAAARD!"
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2020, 12:52:21 pm »
Full strength for this, heavy rotation for Shrewsbury, full strength again for West Ham.

We'll smash Wolves no problem. going for 0-3, Minamino to grab his first goal from the bench.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2020, 12:56:10 pm »
Wolves have only beaten Watford, Aston Villa, West Ham and Man City at home this season. So three relegation candidates and a team with 10-men that they were 2-0 down against. They got battered by Chelsea and lost to Tottenham, drawing with Man United, Burnley, Sheffield United and Southampton.

We've got this.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline BigRedShove

• Kemlynite
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2020, 01:01:35 pm »
Great OP, a very nice dive into the past of these clubs with great history and tradition.

Offline redk84

• (and nothing else!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • why must we always do things the hard way?
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2020, 01:23:45 pm »
Just seen...thank fuck Michael Oliver is in charge of this
All Those Who Have A Red Heart Can Rejoice.
For They Have Seen GOD.

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2020, 02:49:59 pm »
Personally think we'll bring Fab in for Ox with rest of team remaining as is. Sunday to Thursday is fine.

FA Cup/Shrewsbury is the place to rotate:

Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren/Gomez, Larouci, Lallana, Ox, Minamino, Origi, Elliot, Shaqiri

Then back to the Wolves team for West Ham

I'd rather play Jones here. I'd also keep the Man United team for Wolves and bring Fabinho off the bench. That means I'd like Fabinho to start here.

Adrian, Williams, Matip, Lovren (or Gomez if he's not match-fit), Larouci, Fabinho, Lallana, Jones, Minamino, Elliot, Origi

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2020, 02:51:35 pm »
Just seen...thank fuck Michael Oliver is in charge of this

It's all mind-games. They play Oliver here, so they could select Atkinson for our games against Everton/City.

;)

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2020, 03:31:21 pm »
I don't think it's going to be anywhere near one of our toughest games of the season, but it will be a battle. Robbo needs to engage c*nt mode for this one, the same with our midfielders.

Their Portuguese players will be throwing themselves around from the slightest touch, Conor Coady will be crying his eyes out every time the ref gives a decision against them, and their upside down headed manager will be complaining that the whole world is against them for 90 minutes.

Just batter the c*nts, up and down the pitch. We'll need to fight them for the whole game.

Offline rawcusk8

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2020, 04:07:16 pm »
Their last 5 league games have certainly been a mixed bag of results. Lost to us and Watford, drew at home to Newcastle and beat City and Southampton, both matches they were 2-0 and could easily have lost. Traore is their main threat, he inspired the turnaround on Saturday with two assists, keep him quiet and we stifle them hugely. They've played plenty of games this season and it seems Nuno hasn't rotated as much as others have so I think we'll have too much for them. We're top of the table and unbeaten so we have that target on our backs, Wolves and their fans will be no different and besides they are still in with a shout for a top 4 finish. Will be a good game, same side that started against Utd and we should have too much for them.
“If you even dream of beating me you'd better wake up and apologize.” - muhammad ali

Offline Davidbowie

• Legacy Fan
  • The Thin White Duke
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2020, 04:25:30 pm »
As it's an away game, I'd like to see Fabinho come back into the team to really make the midfield solid. Henderson can then play a little more of an attacking role with Wijnaldum doing his usual job.

Wolves are solid at the back and strong in midfield, it'll be a tight game but one which a draw wouldn't be the end of the world. Having said that, I'd still expect us to win. 0-1.
FAME makes a man take things over

Offline MinnyRed

• Kopite
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2020, 08:21:31 pm »
Lots of Wolves fluffers in here. They’re a good side but didn’t trouble us last season. Among the sides that gave us more trouble this season (city aside) - chelsea, Southampton, Sheffield, Watford.  Expect a win.

Online Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2020, 09:19:23 pm »
My concern about this game isn't so much to do with the quality of the opposition. It is about whether our players can sustain the mental heights they were at for the Man Utd game. What we all saw in the last minute of the game was a collective "we've only fucking gone and done it". Even Klopp wasn't immune to a slight slip of the guard. He went as far as he could in his post match interviews without explicitly conceding it's as good as over.  I worry we'll all just be a tiny bit complacent as a result and against Wolves away we can't have that.

It's a curious state of affairs: we're steam rolling the league without steam rolling the games. I think only 8 of our league victories have been by more than one goal. What makes us successful is our commitment to exploit the fine margins between us and the opposition using the full 3 levels of football (covered in a different thread). So we need to go to Wolves as if they are the only team between us and the title and be total in our conviction to win Premiership at the Etihad. For this next little phase of our season we need to be total, not measured. Absolute not proportionate. Ruthless not tempered.

Therefore....

Same starting XI for me. They are in the zone. They all deserve it. Henderson and Gomez seem to be bringing us all those clean sheets in their current positions. Ox is the only other players you'd look at but he's doing brilliantly adding some thrust to our midfield. And we all love his recovery story. Start him again. Phase Fab in from Sunday.

If we're on it, we've got this.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2020, 09:26:34 pm »
My concern about this game isn't so much to do with the quality of the opposition. It is about whether our players can sustain the mental heights they were at for the Man Utd game.

Considering everything these players have shown and done, I'm surprised you're worried about their mental strength.

Mental fortitude isn't a problem for this side and hasn't been for over a year.

Offline jckliew

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: January 21, 2020, 09:33:12 pm »
C'MON YOU REDS!
Another 3 points!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 10:11:57 pm by jckliew »
My 12yr old son asked me: Is Blackburn a Racist name?

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2020, 09:48:52 pm »
Fab in for Ox.

Be really tough but play with no fear and increase the lead.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2020, 11:27:50 pm »
I say this every game but it always rings true: Just take our chances because we will undoubtedly create plenty yet again. Do that and then we could possibly go on and win without even breaking a sweat. However, we've been missing ridiculously easy chances and sitters the last few games. We could have wrapped up both the Spurs and United games before half time but didn't and then had to come through a few sticky situations in the second half before eventually going on to win the game. I know Mo scored against United, but during the 90 minutes before his goal both him and Mane looked like they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2020, 12:13:07 am »
I say this every game but it always rings true: Just take our chances because we will undoubtedly create plenty yet again. Do that and then we could possibly go on and win without even breaking a sweat. However, we've been missing ridiculously easy chances and sitters the last few games. We could have wrapped up both the Spurs and United games before half time but didn't and then had to come through a few sticky situations in the second half before eventually going on to win the game. I know Mo scored against United, but during the 90 minutes before his goal both him and Mane looked like they couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.
Agree completely

But on the plus side of that in years gone by you know aswell as me we would’ve rued those miss chances pts wise

Came away with 2 clean sheets and 6pts

Matter of time before they start going in again
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline RedForeverTT

• Legacy Fan
  • Did I hear you say you "No"?
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2020, 12:20:21 am »
I think this will be a perfect game for Minamino to debut.

Wolves play an open game with a lot of intensity. At least 20mins for him to get used to Premier League pace would serve him well.

Offline rushyman

• Not A Badgeman. Fuck him. Please. Someone. Anyone! But not Jonathan Pearce.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • On Halloween, parents send kids out lookin like me
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2020, 12:35:45 am »
I have a slight niggle in the back of my head about Fabs return

We’ve literally kept 9 clean sheets in the league without him (mind you he was part of Sunday)

Before that we were conceding every game for fun. I’d like to think it’s more Gomez return to form than anything though. It’s certainly a clockwork like coincidence mind
If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2020, 12:37:40 am »
It's Joe Gomez return to the centre with Big Virgil that's doing it. When Fabinho is fully back up to speed then he's our #6.

Offline Peabee

• SKPB! Is goin' down der Asd.....der Waitrose.....anyone wannany hummus?
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: January 22, 2020, 12:53:14 am »
It's Joe Gomez return to the centre with Big Virgil that's doing it. When Fabinho is fully back up to speed then he's our #6.

It’s Gomez plus Alisson returning to his best. He missed the first 10 league games, then conceded in each of his first 5. He’s catching everything again since then.
We aren't walking through the storm now - we are the storm.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: January 22, 2020, 04:47:48 am »
After their behaviour and cryarsing after our last game I hope we give them a proper twatting.
Exactly ... just like Leicester
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline hesbighesred

• Wallasey Wrecker. But you can call me quick fingers. After a threesome with Stevie and Alex
  • Legacy Fan
    • Collaborative thoughts on Euro 2012
« Reply #107 on: January 22, 2020, 06:24:03 am »
Really nice OP, thanks. I'd be surprised if we see much, if any, rotation. Oxlade-Chamberlain perhaps being the only one. There's been matches where we've seemed far more in need of fresh legs than this one where we've gone out with the same 11, so no chance when we've had less than a game a week for two weeks and a full three day's rest before this one. It's likely to be a tight game - they usually are, aren't they? And we're likely to win, as we almost always do.
He is the cat who walks by himself, and all roads are alike to him.

Offline CanuckYNWA

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: January 22, 2020, 08:25:58 am »
It’s Gomez plus Alisson returning to his best. He missed the first 10 league games, then conceded in each of his first 5. He’s catching everything again since then.

Blaming Alisson lol. When he returned and was conceding a certain someone was playing in front of him. Since Gomez replaced that certain someone we havent conceded a goal. The fact people cant see the drop-off to said person is mind boggling.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: January 22, 2020, 08:47:19 am »
Blaming Alisson lol. When he returned and was conceding a certain someone was playing in front of him. Since Gomez replaced that certain someone we havent conceded a goal. The fact people cant see the drop-off to said person is mind boggling.
Who is this Certain Someone that we signed? Is he any good? Pacey? An international? 😃
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #110 on: January 22, 2020, 08:56:51 am »
Who is this Certain Someone that we signed? Is he any good? Pacey? An international? 😃

He's Anew Striker's midfielder cousin.  :D

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #111 on: January 22, 2020, 09:48:14 am »

How was he blaming Alisson? He came back from an injury and of course any player would be rusty. He said he has been catching everything since. What are you on about?

There was no certain someone doing anything. We have improved as a team and played ourselves to better form (from an already high level), just like we improved during November and December last season.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: January 22, 2020, 09:54:41 am »

It's a curious state of affairs: we're steam rolling the league without steam rolling the games. I think only 8 of our league victories have been by more than one goal. What makes us successful is our commitment to exploit the fine margins between us and the opposition

It's been more than 8 games mate. In fact it's 11 out of 21 wins.
So over half our wins were by >one goal. When looking at the results of the 10 one goal wins though a few things jump out.
One is the profligacy in front of goal in some of those games. Spurs home and away, Sheffield Utd away, Leicester at home stand out for me. Also the games at Southampton and at home to Brighton were Adrian threw one in and Atkinson let that free kick go are others. Villa away, we had a good goal chalked off, so that's 7/10 1 goal wins that were perhaps a bit more convincing than the scoreline suggested.
Chelsea away, Palace away and Wolves at home were perhaps the only 3 that could be classed classic narrow wins.

I know there's an element of if my aunty had bollocks and the butterfly effect etc. but I'd be surprised if the Xg in the games highlighted didn't bear this out.

Nothing wrong with narrow wins by the way, it's just that taking things at face value - especially if inaccurate to start with - can lead to a distorted view of how those games were actually played out.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #113 on: January 22, 2020, 10:07:59 am »
For me I would be playing the same 11 as vs Spurs/United.

After this we have the Cup Game on Sunday - for that one I would be looking to ring the changes with a mostly Everton-style lineup but including the likes of Fabinho, Lallana, Lovren and Matip if at all possible. That's the game to be bringing these lads back in, not Wolves which is our second hardest remaining game this season (possibly even the hardest since in theory the league isn't won, and will be by the time we go to the Etihad, and also Wolves will be bang up for this).

Then we have West Ham next Wednesday - again I would be looking for the same 11 as Spurs/United although with 2 games between there is almost certainly something unexpected to come up.

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: January 22, 2020, 10:19:37 am »
We're looking at 4 in 14 days including Utd on the 19th, and assuming we make wholesale changes for Shrewsbury.
Sunday to Thursday, shouldn't be a problem, neither will Thursday to Weds. Only issue is Weds to Sat for Southampton, but that said, we have 14 days after that.
I think it'll be the odd change in midfield and the timing of subs.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: January 22, 2020, 10:21:05 am »

I don't think the recent clean sheets are anything more than the probabilities evening up. Until December we only had two clean sheets and that was largely down to teams taking the type of rare chance that they are now spurning. So you could say we were unlucky then and lucky now with the truth lying somewhere in between.

I do think Gomez is an upgrade on Lovren/Matip due to his pace but not to the extent some here are saying.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #116 on: January 22, 2020, 10:26:15 am »
Full strength keep our foot on the premier leagues throat and rest in the Fa Cup v Shrewsbury

Offline Lidmanen

• Main Stander
« Reply #117 on: January 22, 2020, 10:27:09 am »
Would probably go same again here, but wouldn't be against Fab coming in from the start. Tempted to start Lallana over Ox but I think AL might be a more suitable midfield partner for Jones on Sunday.

Wholesale changes for the Shrewsbury game, so no need for rotation here. Would be nice to see Minamino get off the bench this time though.

Offline spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #118 on: January 22, 2020, 10:39:52 am »
Get Fabinho back into the team, this will allow Gini and Henderson to give more protection to the fullbacks.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 10:45:27 am by spider-neil »

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: January 22, 2020, 10:44:20 am »
Think Jota is still out for them.
Although Neto is a good player.
Traore I hope has an off game. He'll cause any team huge problems. Keep him quiet & we will win