Poll

The incoming Tory Tax Cuts..

Brilliant! With everyone struggling at the moment, a few hundred quid would be most welcome
Maybe a small one, but money should be spent on failing public services
I am an egg and I like cheese and fluffy squirrels called Bob. Bob the Fluffy squirrel is my fave babes.
There shouldn't be a tax cut when public services are already so broken. Keep spending what we are
Far more investment is needed in this country. Spend the money where it's needed now and fuck this stupid Austerity shite.

Author Topic: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES  (Read 1317796 times)

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
Re: Never mind 'Stop the Boats' - STOP THE TORIES
« Reply #30800 on: March 26, 2024, 07:46:35 pm »
Prize dunce Jonathan Gullis taking over the Anderson gig as deputy chairman. Something to pad the CV with before he gets landslid out of the House.

I know a lot of the current lot are off, but are there odds currently on who'll be the highest profile electoral scalp? The Portillo-du-jour, so to speak?

"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30801 on: March 26, 2024, 09:22:35 pm »
Prize dunce Jonathan Gullis taking over the Anderson gig as deputy chairman. Something to pad the CV with before he gets landslid out of the House.

I know a lot of the current lot are off, but are there odds currently on who'll be the highest profile electoral scalp? The Portillo-du-jour, so to speak?

Hard to tell, as it depends on the polls; and as we've seen there's some variation on them. Portillo was totally unexpected - the swing that unseated him was way over the average. According to Wiki, the average swing was 8.8%, I thought it was closer to 12%.

Most polling puts the Tories most likely result at around 120-150 seats. I'm sure there are plenty of high profile MPs who might be vulnerable when you're looking at potentially 200 losses, but it's just impossible to tell.

if the calculator I looked like is anything to go by, Labour will need a lot more than 9% just to win office. The parties were a lot closer together in terms of seats back in 1997.   

https://www.electionpolling.co.uk/swingometer/uk-parliament
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 09:27:13 pm by Red Beret »
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30802 on: March 27, 2024, 09:39:38 am »

This is absolutely wonderful reading on that topic:

https://archive.ph/XULLu

Best case scenario is they replace Sunak with Morduant and then both the Prime Minister and Chancellor lose their seats at the same time ;D

Online Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30803 on: March 27, 2024, 09:49:09 am »
This is absolutely wonderful reading on that topic:

https://archive.ph/XULLu

Best case scenario is they replace Sunak with Morduant and then both the Prime Minister and Chancellor lose their seats at the same time ;D

I would very much enjoy watching that scumbag IDS loose his seat. And Redwood as well. And of course, Anderson has already gone, technically.

Mind you, that article is from late January. Hopefully the situation has improved since then, although I'd be happy to see Labour romp home with a 120 seat majority. :thumbup

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #30804 on: March 27, 2024, 12:32:28 pm »
I would very much enjoy watching that scumbag IDS loose his seat. And Redwood as well. And of course, Anderson has already gone, technically.

Mind you, that article is from late January. Hopefully the situation has improved since then, although I'd be happy to see Labour romp home with a 120 seat majority. :thumbup

IDS is a nailed on goner, barely needs any swing and even ignoring their desperate national polling, demographics here drift against the Tories all the time.

Good to see the Tories learning from past mistakes and making Jonathan Gullis Deputy Chair, oh hold on a minute that is the exact opposite of learning from past mistakes.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #30805 on: March 27, 2024, 01:31:04 pm »
What are the functions of the chair of a political party?
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #30806 on: March 27, 2024, 02:12:38 pm »

Redwood and IDS are certs to go. a few Tory MPs like Andrea Jenkins also know they are going to be given the boot as well, she's desperate. on twitter all the time posting all sorts of shite, going to be a brilliant night watching them awhen the results are called.
Maybe we should have a little comp in the days leading up to the election. pick the Torys who will loose their seats. not the Torys with a minority, that's too easy. ;D
Pick 5 or 10 Tory MPs with a majority of over 10.000 who are shown the door.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 02:16:06 pm by oldfordie »
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30807 on: March 27, 2024, 02:30:26 pm »

Seagullis.. HAha what a twat.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 02:33:59 pm by Draex »

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #30808 on: March 27, 2024, 02:34:07 pm »
What are the functions of the chair of a political party?

For the Tories they run CCHQ, and as they also sit as a non-departmental member of cabinet (or Shadow version thereof), they are in effect the primary link between the Government/Opposition and the party's campaign 'machinery'.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30809 on: March 27, 2024, 03:12:48 pm »
Redwood and IDS are certs to go. a few Tory MPs like Andrea Jenkins also know they are going to be given the boot as well, she's desperate. on twitter all the time posting all sorts of shite, going to be a brilliant night watching them awhen the results are called.
Maybe we should have a little comp in the days leading up to the election. pick the Torys who will loose their seats. not the Torys with a minority, that's too easy. ;D

I reckon Redwood will switch to Reform at some point. Surprised he hasn't already to be honest.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30810 on: March 27, 2024, 03:29:15 pm »
Sounds like the perfect idea for a draft ;D

The sad thing is I bet they all end up in the HoL.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30811 on: March 27, 2024, 03:47:13 pm »

I hope Starmer upends Sunak's honours' list and fights to repeal as many titles dished out as possible. Frankly, I hope he does it for Truss as well.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30812 on: March 27, 2024, 03:56:55 pm »
I reckon Redwood will switch to Reform at some point. Surprised he hasn't already to be honest.
I think Redwoods history shows he has zero respect for the average Tory voters intelligence, that applies to all the ERG nutters. he knows many of the public know this but he couldn't care less. what I can't figure out is whether he feels the ERG should take the blame for what's happened to the Tory partys reputation since they managed to con the country into voting for Brexit.  we can trace all this damage back to 2016.

I think he feels he has power and influence being a member of the ERG, he  certainty played a big part in the direction this country took back in 2016, he was never off the tv telling lies. I hadn't really thought much about him possibly moving to Reform. I can't see it happening, he will be 73 at the next election. 34 yrs as a Tory MP so nice little Pension. lots of connections in and outside the Tory party, breaking away to Reforms not worth it,  it would upset a lot of his Tory m8s and connections.  I think his arrogance makes him think a lot of people are in awe of him. that would all go if the switched to the enemy, Reform. nah I think he will be fine when he loses his seat. no money problems and nice social life.
It might take our producers five minutes to find 60 economists who feared Brexit and five hours to find a sole voice who espoused it.
“But by the time we went on air we simply had one of each; we presented this unequal effort to our audience as balance. It wasn’t.”
               Emily Maitlis

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30813 on: March 27, 2024, 04:04:06 pm »

I don't want to hear any hard luck stories either, they are boring.
How someone was sweating on Theresa Coffey for 10 fold accumulator but she nicked it by 10 votes  :)
               Emily Maitlis

Offline stewy17

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30814 on: March 27, 2024, 04:11:03 pm »
I'm in IDS's constituency, unfortunately. Praying he'll lose, the last election was pretty close, but it's very much a tory stronghold and is an amalgamation of Churchill and fucking Norman Tebbit's seats. There's a statue of Churchill and everything.

Would be delighted if it went to Labour particularly as I live in Walthamstow which is very Labour, but the ol' constituency lines take a strange detour around my area.

Planning some fun if Labour take it.

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30815 on: March 27, 2024, 04:22:02 pm »
I'm in IDS's constituency, unfortunately. Praying he'll lose, the last election was pretty close, but it's very much a tory stronghold and is an amalgamation of Churchill and fucking Norman Tebbit's seats. There's a statue of Churchill and everything.

Would be delighted if it went to Labour particularly as I live in Walthamstow which is very Labour, but the ol' constituency lines take a strange detour around my area.

Planning some fun if Labour take it.

A fellow CWGer!

Chingford itself is pretty hardcore Tory, but Highams Park and Woodford a bit more Labour friendly

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30816 on: March 27, 2024, 04:45:09 pm »
I think Redwoods history shows he has zero respect for the average Tory voters intelligence, that applies to all the ERG nutters. he knows many of the public know this but he couldn't care less. what I can't figure out is whether he feels the ERG should take the blame for what's happened to the Tory partys reputation since they managed to con the country into voting for Brexit.  we can trace all this damage back to 2016.

I think he feels he has power and influence being a member of the ERG, he  certainty played a big part in the direction this country took back in 2016, he was never off the tv telling lies. I hadn't really thought much about him possibly moving to Reform. I can't see it happening, he will be 73 at the next election. 34 yrs as a Tory MP so nice little Pension. lots of connections in and outside the Tory party, breaking away to Reforms not worth it,  it would upset a lot of his Tory m8s and connections.  I think his arrogance makes him think a lot of people are in awe of him. that would all go if the switched to the enemy, Reform. nah I think he will be fine when he loses his seat. no money problems and nice social life.

At 73 he's got nothing to lose, really. Once he's lost his seat and the Tories are reduced to a trump, becoming an "elder statesman" of Reform allows him to continue to influence Tory policy without having to worry about the fallout. It would give Reform a veneer of legitimacy and keep the Tories pegged to the hard right.

Popcorn's Art

Online oldfordie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30817 on: March 27, 2024, 05:10:50 pm »
At 73 he's got nothing to lose, really. Once he's lost his seat and the Tories are reduced to a trump, becoming an "elder statesman" of Reform allows him to continue to influence Tory policy without having to worry about the fallout. It would give Reform a veneer of legitimacy and keep the Tories pegged to the hard right.
You may well be right but surely he knows Frottage can't be relied on. UKIP, Brexit party and now Reform. in a way I hope he does jump ship as it won't improve his chances of keeping the seat. I suppose other Tory MPs have that dilemma, he has a 7K majority which would be usually mean he would be big favourite to keep the seat, I wouldn't call that safe though, I class anything under 10k as being in serious jeopardy especially in seats like Redwoods were tactical voting would put his seat up for grabs even if he kept a lot of the people who voted for him at the last election, that's not going to happen, he will loose votes, he will be a big target for the tactical voting campaigners, I will be very surprised if he keeps his seat, we shall see.
               Emily Maitlis

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30818 on: March 27, 2024, 05:19:36 pm »
You may well be right but surely he knows Frottage can't be relied on. UKIP, Brexit party and now Reform. in a way I hope he does jump ship as it won't improve his chances of keeping the seat. I suppose other Tory MPs have that dilemma, he has a 7K majority which would be usually mean he would be big favourite to keep the seat, I wouldn't call that safe though, I class anything under 10k as being in serious jeopardy especially in seats like Redwoods were tactical voting would put his seat up for grabs even if he kept a lot of the people who voted for him at the last election, that's not going to happen, he will loose votes, he will be a big target for the tactical voting campaigners, I will be very surprised if he keeps his seat, we shall see.

He'll wait until after the election before he decides on flipping. If he retains his seat, he will likely stick with the ERG, where he can wield most influence. If he loses though, there's no real point in him sticking around. Helping to legitimize Reform and maintain pressure on the Tories from the outside seems a logical path for him, as he can blame Tory failings on them not being right wing enough.

There'll be enough loons left on the Tory benches. Like Braverman, that they can bounce off that to dictate Tory policy.

I'd certainly see it as a possibility anyway.  Reform is essentially cordyceps for the Tories right now.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #30820 on: March 27, 2024, 07:24:48 pm »
Apparently the idiot Gullis has just appeared on sky news, whinging about Labour blocking the Rwanda bill, it was pointed out the Tories have a majority, so Labour can't block anything, & Gullis himself abstained from voting on the bill.
#Sausages

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30821 on: March 27, 2024, 07:47:11 pm »
Looks like Thames Water is due to collapse. Good news.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #30822 on: March 27, 2024, 08:03:25 pm »
Presumably the tories privatised water?
Just the notion of privatising water is insane.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30823 on: March 27, 2024, 08:04:47 pm »
Presumably the tories privatised water?
Just the notion of privatising water is insane.

A Thatcher special that. Even Tories now admit that was a stupid decision, or at least the way it was done was.

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30824 on: March 27, 2024, 08:20:01 pm »

Excellent news. The doom mongering from Thames Water's senior officials about costs to renationalise it have made me physically ill. There is absolutely nothing any government might do that is any worse that what the monkeys running that place have already done.

All this on top of the news of record sewage discharge by water companies should make it a priority for Labour to bring the whole network back under public control.

Popcorn's Art

Offline filopastry

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30825 on: March 27, 2024, 08:25:23 pm »
The water companies are a nightmare as they have all merrily loaded up with massive debt while continuing to dump dividends out the door.

I think for Thames is it about £19bn of debt?

Online Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30826 on: March 27, 2024, 09:12:54 pm »
The water companies are a nightmare as they have all merrily loaded up with massive debt while continuing to dump dividends out the door.

And this is why taxes are so high and services are through the floor.

Popcorn's Art

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30827 on: March 27, 2024, 09:14:16 pm »

Yep. Wanted to hike bills 40% as well the c*nts. Today as the report for sewage in our waterways came out the organisation representing the water firms said they want to solve this problem thats why they are asking the regulator to accept their proposals (40% hike in bills, reduction in liabilities). They paid out over £30m in dividends last Autumn.

Honestly its such a con job this. Good to see they are bailing and its just shite that they are doing so under a Tory government who no doubt will sort a deal out before Labour get in. If its still nationalised when Labour get in, then I will be expecting Starmer to show he has some backbone and keep a hold of it.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:16:55 pm by killer-heels »

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #30828 on: March 27, 2024, 11:55:51 pm »
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30829 on: March 28, 2024, 12:01:35 am »
They've told the rowers to stay out of the Thames due to high levels of E. coli.

Fucking Tories, profit at the expense of every bastard thing.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30830 on: March 28, 2024, 12:02:40 am »

Force them all to pay their debts and upgrade the infrastructure, if they cannot, it's taken and nationalised.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #30831 on: March 28, 2024, 08:58:28 am »
All the Cities in the North should get the shit into trucks and dump it into the Thames.

If there are acres of shite floating about then that's about the only time the Tories would do anything about it once it's on their patch.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30832 on: March 28, 2024, 09:15:27 am »
All the Cities in the North should get the shit into trucks and dump it into the Thames.

If there are acres of shite floating about then that's about the only time the Tories would do anything about it once it's on their patch.

Think its safe to say the Thames is the worst there is in the country.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30833 on: March 28, 2024, 09:17:26 am »
Deluded twat of a Chancellor layers on the spin

Revised figures confirm UK ended 2023 in recession

Chancellor Jeremy C*nt has been speaking about the latest GDP figures.

He says: "These numbers confirm I think what we already knew, which is despite the Bank of England predicting the longest recession in 100 years, in fact GDP grew albeit marginally last year."

He then goes on to talk about childcare policies and says they are designed to get people back into work.

On the PM's pledges, he highlights the promise to halve inflation, saying that has been achieved. He then moves on to the promise of economic growth.

"I don't think any of us were expecting the economy to actually grow last year. The Bank of England wasn't, the Office for Budget Responsibility wasn't.

"In fact it did, albeit at a very slow rate. And that is a testament to the resilience of the economy but also the fact the government took some very difficult decisions early on to make sure we got the economy back on track."
0.1% growth across the year, even that meagre growth being driven by the first six months of the year as for the last six months we were in recession.  The BoE and OBR not predicting growth is damning of him and his policies, he's hardly delivered a knock out blow with 0.1% growth.

More Hunt spin on falling but still high inflation:
Inflation has fallen decisively from over 11% to 3.4%, the economy grew in January and real wages have increased for eight months in a row. Our cuts to National Insurance will boost growth by rewarding work and putting over £900 a year back into the average earner’s pocket

I wish the opposition and our political commentators would shred that claim but he always seems to get a free pass with it.  The 3.4% is higher than the EU as a whole (2.8%) and higher than every major European country (Germany 2.5%, France 3%, Italy 0.75%, Spain 3.2%, Netherlands 2.8%, Switzerland 1.2%, Poland 2.8%).  Throughout the past two years we've constantly lagged behind similar nations despite the BoE setting the central bank interest rate higher than the European Central Bank (5.25% compared to 4.5%).

The only consolation is that I don't think Hunt gets a free pass with most of the electorate.  His constant gloating and gaslighting about the economy will confirm to people that he's out of touch and out of ideas.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #30835 on: March 28, 2024, 10:41:13 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68682198

Thames Water in race to find cash as problems get worse

Thames Water is in a race to find extra cash after its investors said they would not give the struggling water giant extra cash unless bills rise.

The UK's largest water firm has been pushing for the regulator Ofwat to agree to a substantial increase in water bills over the next five years.

Sources close to Ofwat say it plans to "stick to its guns" and won't raise bills to address shareholder problems.

Fears emerged last year that Thames could collapse due to its huge debts.

Regardless of what happens, water supplies will continue as normal.

Thames Water drew up a turnaround plan last summer which asked for a 40% rise in bills over the next five years. But it is now understood shareholders want to see even higher bill rises as a condition of injecting more money.

Investors were due to pump in almost £4bn into the business over the next two years, but have withheld the first payment - due at the end of March - saying its turnaround plan is "uninvestible".

The government has previously said it is ready to take over Thames Water, which is the UK's largest water company, in the event that it collapses. It serves 15 million households, mostly across London and parts of southern England.

The regulator insists that even without the additional capital, the Thames Water operating company will not need to be nationalised immediately as it is still generating enough money to keep it going day-to-day for up to 18 months.

However, at some point Thames will need to raise new money to finance the huge programme of investment that is needed and if the current shareholders - which include domestic and foreign pension funds as well as wealth funds from China and Abu Dhabi - won't inject cash, then Thames will need to find new ones.

Sources close to the current owners say that unless Thames can pay a return - few people will find it an attractive investment.

Chris Weston, chief executive of Thames Water, told the BBC he wanted to "reassure our customers that the business continue to operate as usual".

He said the company was "a long way" from nationalisation "at the moment".

Mr Weston later said that Thames Water was planning to come up with a plan that is acceptable to investors - who want higher returns - and Ofwat - which said it had to be "fair to bill payers".

Chancellor Jeremy C*nt said the shareholder move "should not have an impact on the services received by customers" and that the company was still solvent.

But he added that "there are parts of the country where the service has not been up to scratch, including in my own constituency".

Thames map
Thames Water is heavily indebted, with a large proportion of its £14.7bn debt pile having been run up when it was owned by Macquarie, an Australian infrastructure bank.

Interest payments on its debt have also sharply increased.

Macquarie has said that it invested billions of pounds in upgrading Thames's water and sewage infrastructure while it owned the company.

But critics argue that it took billions of pounds out of the company in loans and dividends - which is a share of a business's profits that is paid to shareholders.

Along with many UK water firms, Thames Water has been in the spotlight for pumping sewage into rivers.

Between 2020 and the end of last year, it discharged at least 72 billion litres of sewage into the Thames.

Ofwat said safeguards were in place to ensure that services to customers were protected "regardless of issues faced by shareholders of Thames Water".

"The company must now pursue all options to seek further equity for the business to turn around the performance of the company for customers. "We also need to see companies deliver the performance that customers expect and that they are run in a way that meets customers' expectations," it added.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30836 on: March 28, 2024, 10:46:44 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68682198

Thames Water in race to find cash as problems get worse

Water privatisation has been the biggest disaster of them all.  Why would you want to privatise your critical infrastructure?  It's nuts!

The case for renationalisation across the board, has neevr been stronger.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30837 on: March 28, 2024, 10:47:13 am »
Think its safe to say the Thames is the worst there is in the country.

Yep, fuck swimming in that and we should be able to swim in our rivers for all but the worst of situations.

c*nts have been taking the piss for years.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #30838 on: March 28, 2024, 10:55:51 am »
Water privatisation has been the biggest disaster of them all.  Why would you want to privatise your critical infrastructure?  It's nuts!

This one case is just a microcosm of Toryism, the whole rotten ideology. Once Thames Water comes crashing down investor confidence will be lost in the other water companies and the entire industry will end up in public hands by default I suspect.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30839 on: March 28, 2024, 10:58:16 am »

Biggest no brainer of all time.  It pays for itself and it's popular with pretty much every demographic, even Tory voters and Brexiters.  It's rare that something makes practical, economic and political sense all at the same time.

Mad that none of the parties seem to want to touch it.