Author Topic: Holiday Insurance Query  (Read 1288 times)

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Holiday Insurance Query
« on: July 4, 2023, 04:25:53 pm »
We were due to go to Toulouse and the outskirts on Sunday but decided to cancel due to the ongoing riots as not exactly relaxing. Easyjet were excellent and gave us a voucher and we could cancel our airport parking.

However, we had an apartment booked with Air B n B and it had strict cancellation policy so we reached out to Host. Due to the translation tool on their site, it looked as though they agreed to full refund but then reneged on offer despite it being in writing and offered refund on cleaning fee. Air B n B are doing their best to get out of paying us the remainder as said it is up to Host and not included in their Extenuating Policy. Their Customer Service is an utter joke as well.

I then spoke to Admiral and it is not covered as the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice for France was not changed to as a minimum ‘all but essential travel’.I am not sure if anyone has had similar or has any advice?

I think the email from the Host is legal binding so could always claim on our Credit Card. It is £280 in total so cute a bit to lose.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Holiday Insurance Query
« Reply #1 on: July 4, 2023, 04:44:22 pm »
We were due to go to Toulouse and the outskirts on Sunday but decided to cancel due to the ongoing riots as not exactly relaxing. Easyjet were excellent and gave us a voucher and we could cancel our airport parking.

However, we had an apartment booked with Air B n B and it had strict cancellation policy so we reached out to Host. Due to the translation tool on their site, it looked as though they agreed to full refund but then reneged on offer despite it being in writing and offered refund on cleaning fee. Air B n B are doing their best to get out of paying us the remainder as said it is up to Host and not included in their Extenuating Policy. Their Customer Service is an utter joke as well.

I then spoke to Admiral and it is not covered as the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO) advice for France was not changed to as a minimum ‘all but essential travel’.I am not sure if anyone has had similar or has any advice?

I think the email from the Host is legal binding so could always claim on our Credit Card. It is £280 in total so cute a bit to lose.

I was travelling to New Zealand for a holiday in March 2020 just as Covid was kicking off. The part in bold was what was relayed to me - you'll only get a refund if the FCDO travel advice changes. I ended up going and then flying back a week later as all the borders were shutting. If I would cancelled my flight before travelling, I'd have got nothing back from travel insurance.

Did you book on a credit card? The s.75 protection might help you if so.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #2 on: July 4, 2023, 04:50:58 pm »
I was travelling to New Zealand for a holiday in March 2020 just as Covid was kicking off. The part in bold was what was relayed to me - you'll only get a refund if the FCDO travel advice changes. I ended up going and then flying back a week later as all the borders were shutting. If I would cancelled my flight before travelling, I'd have got nothing back from travel insurance.

Did you book on a credit card? The s.75 protection might help you if so.

Yeah man -booked accommodation on two CC.

One is a John Lewis and one is a Tesco - both easy to dispute.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #3 on: July 8, 2023, 09:29:43 am »
A quick update on this.

The wording from Air B N B for their Extenuating Policy is as follows:

Military actions and other hostilities. Acts of war, hostilities, invasions, civil war, terrorism, explosions, bombings, rebellions, riots, insurrection, civil disorder, and civil unrest.

This means it should be covered.