Author Topic: Diabetes  (Read 16973 times)

Offline MackemLad

• A village called Sunderland is missing its idiot - "Purple Macki"
  • Anny Roader
Diabetes
« on: November 20, 2008, 03:15:55 pm »
I am so sure i have this due to symptons.  However i had a blood test which showed blood glucose levels were high so had another test which was a fasting blood test and they say the results have come back normal.

However i am needing to piss all the fucking time, get dry mouth and lips all the time, im very tired all of the time, im now getting regular headaches, i get hungry easily and im now getting a very bad pain at the top of my stomach - it absolutely fucking knacks.

Been to the docs and he is useless, just sent for basic tests and then that was it.

Any advice?
Sunderland 'till i die.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 04:42:49 pm »
Yes. Accept what your doctor tells you but if you still think there's something wrong, see if you have any of these symptoms.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:44:17 pm »
Could be many number of things, you have stomach pain, I have never had stomach pain not from my diabetes anyway nor headaches as such.

Thyriod cant remember if its under or over active has many of the same symptons as diabetes, maybe get a check for that.

The blood tests would have been enough to show if you were a diabetic or not.

Offline montysmum

• Was brought up in an entirely queg-free area.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 04:56:28 pm »
I am so sure i have this due to symptons.  However i had a blood test which showed blood glucose levels were high so had another test which was a fasting blood test and they say the results have come back normal.

However i am needing to piss all the fucking time, get dry mouth and lips all the time, im very tired all of the time, im now getting regular headaches, i get hungry easily and im now getting a very bad pain at the top of my stomach - it absolutely fucking knacks.

Been to the docs and he is useless, just sent for basic tests and then that was it.

Any advice?

OK, so the fasting blood sugar came back as normal, but a random one showed a high glucose?

A couple of things might be worth considering.  Firstly are you on any other medication (prescription or herbal) that could be giving you any other symptoms?

What is your diet like?  Do you eat regularly?  Is your diet healthy (not mainly junk/fast food), but includes decent veg, meat/fish etc?

What is your fluid intake daily and what sort of fluids do you drink daily?

Sorry for all the questions but they might be relevant when looking for a cause of your problems.

The other thing is that although your fasting blood sugar was normal, a high random blood sugar can sometimes be indivative of something called 'pre diabetes'  In other words you are not a diabetic, but your pancreas isn't quite working at full throttle.

This can be controlled by diet, so it is woth having a thing about the things mentioned above.  If the symptoms carry on though you need to go back to the doctors and ask for a referral to a Consultant for investigations of the stomach pain etc.
"If the supporters love me, then it's only half as much as I love them." - Kenny Dalglish. Liverpool Manager

Offline Bronx Red

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:12 pm »
I would say as I have said to the wife many a time stop self diagnosing and believing all you read on internet . Fuck me I started to feel all those symptoms just by reading them :P

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 05:03:34 pm »
Does any one in the family have it ??

My dad has it and ive been advised i could get it at some point in my life!

Offline lauz

• Looking for a talented pastie smasher. Apply within.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:30:40 pm »
Could be many number of things, you have stomach pain, I have never had stomach pain not from my diabetes anyway nor headaches as such.

Thyriod cant remember if its under or over active has many of the same symptons as diabetes, maybe get a check for that.

The blood tests would have been enough to show if you were a diabetic or not.

Under active thyroid gland has many of the symptons...tiredness, dry lips and mouths, headaches really, over active is when your a bit more active.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 05:50:29 pm »
Under active thyroid gland has many of the symptons...tiredness, dry lips and mouths, headaches really, over active is when your a bit more active.

I knew it was one of them and didnt have time to look :D

Offline bradigor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Henrik Zetterpig
    • Pucks Across The Pond
  • Super Title: Loves Ron Dennis
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 05:58:18 pm »
You will lose weight amazingly quickly.

Offline clarke9

• Boys Pen
  • Nando & his little white hat :)
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:29:59 pm »
hey, does anyone else on here have diabetes? i've been diabetic for 12 and a half years (and im only 15) :P
It's Torres Amy, FERNANDO TORRES!! Get your camera out you clampet! ;)

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 09:52:48 pm »
hey, does anyone else on here have diabetes? i've been diabetic for 12 and a half years (and im only 15) :P

:wave

Offline Degs

• sy's midnight runners.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 09:54:20 pm »

Any advice?

You have the classic signs of teen-itis.

Remedy - go shagging, forget troubles.

Offline clarke9

• Boys Pen
  • Nando & his little white hat :)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 09:59:58 pm »
It's Torres Amy, FERNANDO TORRES!! Get your camera out you clampet! ;)

Offline Sarge

• Fine with being a Fucker. He's a lovable rouge
  • Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:59 pm »
My dad lost his right leg from below the knee three years ago from it. Be careful.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 10:06:12 pm »
My dad lost his right leg from below the knee three years ago from it. Be careful.

Nasty that, I had my toenails removed a couple months back, had to be really careful when they were healing

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2009, 10:08:33 pm »
Nasty that, I had my toenails removed a couple months back, had to be really careful when they were healing

Yes you have got to keep on top of it. Tough on my mother taking care of him.
Y.N.W.A.

Offline lachesis

• RAWK Scribe
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • МАРКСИСТ
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2009, 10:25:50 pm »
what is it with diabetes and feet. My mate used to know someone who suffered with it, and always had to be very careful with their feet??

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2009, 10:31:52 pm »
what is it with diabetes and feet. My mate used to know someone who suffered with it, and always had to be very careful with their feet??

It is much more prone to infection than anywhere else. Our kid had a cut on his toe and had to go to hospital - can easily fall off if not treated properly.

Offline Sarge

• Legacy Fan
  • Boom!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2009, 10:51:12 pm »
It is much more prone to infection than anywhere else. Our kid had a cut on his toe and had to go to hospital - can easily fall off if not treated properly.

With my dad it started in his feet and i think its where 90% of it starts.
Y.N.W.A.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2009, 10:53:28 pm »
My Dad has it and both his parents did too so there's a decent chance I might be diagnosed some point down the line. Should probably lay off the Easter Eggs!

Offline Wait for it!!!

• Unimaginative pisshead!!! +!!
  • Kopite
  • hat, cap, scarf or your banner??
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2009, 11:02:01 pm »
Found out I had diabetes the friday before the semi at Spurs against Sarfampton IN 1986 - went to the docs who sent me to the ozzie and had to go straight in despite me telling him "I can't I'm off to the semi tomorrow" never mind Rush scored twice and we beat the bITTERS IN THE fINAL!!

Seriously though I was necking pint after pint of water and lost loads of weight (most women would be chuffed to be like that) so make sure you are all right and don't be scared it is avery managable and the docs know what they are doing - Allegedly!!!!
Keegan to Smith to Keegan and Newcastle were undressed!!!!!
Wembley Stadium May 1974 - as a 12 year old flared, stack shoed Alsop Comp LFC diehard. The joy!!

Offline Lo

• is Hamilton
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »

You can loose feeling so stand more chance of standing on something and not noticing, your eyes are also one to keep a check on.

Offline waittillmay

• Nicks sweets off kids.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:45 pm »
my boss in work lost 3 stone and only went he docs because of that.
had to get full body scan and everything, he's now on a load of tablets and stuff, which eh said caused pains in his stomach etc, but seems to have settled down now. he's gaining weight slowly now but is on quite a strict diet.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 01:09:38 am »

The high blood sugar will damage some of the nerves in the body, especially in the extremities such as your feet, and there'll be a reduced sensation in those parts so you may not feel a cut or blister on the sole of your foot. This can get infected, ulcerated etc. The high sugar also affects your blood vessels and ability for the foot to recover from these problems aswell. You can get similar problems in the eyes and kidneys (small blood vessels thickening, scarring, haemorrhaging, leaking etc). Those are the main areas where the small blood vessels in the body get affected and likewise uncontrolled diabetes can lead to problems with bigger vessels putting people at risk of heart problems etc. It's a relatively common thing to have but definitley one that needs to be controlled (and there's enough help for that to be achieved)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 01:13:23 am by Guz-kop »
It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline Seebab

• hit that post. We winced.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 01:53:48 am »

Damn Sarge. I thought you were joking at first. I never knew you could lose limbs from it.

My dad 'had' it and so started eating more healthily and doing more exercise and now it seems to be 'gone' as he's never had trouble with blood sugar levels since. It must have been very mild and so I never thought diabetes as serious disease. Now I know.

Sorry to hear about your dad losing his leg.
Some folks are born into a good life
Other folks get it anyway anyhow

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Drew Barrymore showed me her fondue set once...
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2010, 01:58:02 pm »
Sorry for bumping an old thread...thought it be better than doing a new one....

was feeling rough for a few weeks drinkng water non stop lost some weight the usual symptoms....thought it was a virus.....

went to the docs on wed night and she said i have classic symptoms of type 1 diabetes.

next morning was sent to the hospital for tests...was confirmed as type 1 and started insulin yesterday.

have to admit im abit shocked as this has come from nowhere and it seems im going to have to learn alot of things in the future.

sorry for the little rant just feels like its helping a little...and i look forward to RAWK replies of usual funny standard too.....
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2010, 02:13:48 pm »
Sorry for bumping an old thread...thought it be better than doing a new one....

was feeling rough for a few weeks drinkng water non stop lost some weight the usual symptoms....thought it was a virus.....

went to the docs on wed night and she said i have classic symptoms of type 1 diabetes.

next morning was sent to the hospital for tests...was confirmed as type 1 and started insulin yesterday.

have to admit im abit shocked as this has come from nowhere and it seems im going to have to learn alot of things in the future.

sorry for the little rant just feels like its helping a little...and i look forward to RAWK replies of usual funny standard too.....
Feel for you mate, I have type 2.  I had to inject insulin for the first 6 weeks after being diagnosed, as my glucose levels were sky high. After that I was taken off the insulin and put on tablets, which I have to take for the rest of my life. I was devastated when diagnosed, but after a while it becomes normal, injecting the insulin, I mean, and checking your glucose levels 4 times a day. I have been put on a high carbohydrate and low/no fat diet. Iīve lost loads of weight due to that. But the downside is, no more cake or biscuits, no choccie or sweets, no sugar in my cappuccino, just sweeteners, no white bread, just brown, loads of pasta potatos and rice. But you get used to it. Good luck with it mate.
'It'll whisper to them of Liverpools five glorious European Cup victories"

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• Water-based lubricants, friend or foe? You be the judge....has also dabbled with deep heat...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2010, 02:17:27 pm »
Feel for you mate, I have type 2.  I had to inject insulin for the first 6 weeks after being diagnosed, as my glucose levels were sky high. After that I was taken off the insulin and put on tablets, which I have to take for the rest of my life. I was devastated when diagnosed, but after a while it becomes normal, injecting the insulin, I mean, and checking your glucose levels 4 times a day. I have been put on a high carbohydrate and low/no fat diet. Iīve lost loads of weight due to that. But the downside is, no more cake or biscuits, no choccie or sweets, no sugar in my cappuccino, just sweeteners, no white bread, just brown, loads of pasta potatos and rice. But you get used to it. Good luck with it mate.

that for me at the min has been the hardest part...seems so wrong to do it also the speed of one night being ok and eating normally to next morning doing a test, injecting, then having my food....
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892
i know a lad that shagged twins, i asked him how he could tell the difference , he told me the lad had a mussy.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

Nothing funny from me mate. Mom has type 2. Fucker of a disease.

Check out the posts by flemingcool on the RAWK fitness thread in general football and sport. Check out his post history too, he gives some good info on the issue of diet, insulin control etc. It is possible to eat good meals that barely increase your blood sugar. Check paleo diet, also art de vany..

Take good care of yourself and invest in a good blood sugar monitor. Analyse your meals, check your blood sugar levels about 10 - 15 minutes after the meal, as well as two hours after to get an idea of the sugar / glycemic load of what you've just eaten. That way you'll know the meals that keep your sugar level under the recommended limit.

If you strictly follow what's listed on the Paleo and De Vany methods though, there is very little chance of your blood sugar spiking too high.

Take good care of yourself.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:31:45 pm by surfer »

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2010, 02:32:09 pm »
It will become second nature mate, the only awkward bit for me was injecting at work, had to hide and stick the needle in, but after a while I stopped doing that and just did it in front of anyone who was there. Itīs a piece of piss if you take heed of what the Doctors tell you.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2010, 02:35:17 pm »

Is the high carb diet really helping your blood sugar though? What's your blood sugar like say 10 -15 minutes after a full rice meal, and about two hours after.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2010, 02:39:18 pm »

thank you mate i will go and have alook

the diet thing i will be able to handle...perfect excuse to get more healthy anyway...always tried but failed at somepoint.

just confused still at the min...

oh i will be mate...this could be a great wake up call to the life ive had in the past...makes me wonder how long ive had it thought because ive not felt right if im honest for a while my mate at work has already told me i better not inject near him as he will be out cold  :)
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 02:44:57 pm »
Is the high carb diet really helping your blood sugar though? What's your blood sugar like say 10 -15 minutes after a full rice meal, and about two hours after.
I check my blood sugar 2 hours after every meal, at least twice a week. Two hours after a full rice meal the blood sugar is normal. Sometimes the level reaches 140, thatīs after a large meal where I havenīt paid too much attention to what I eat. But on the whole blood sugar levels are normal to low. I ate a lot of water melon some weeks ago, then checked my blood sugar about 20 minutes later and it was 340! Checked again 30 mins later and it was down to 250.

Offline 1892-WELLZ

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 02:47:59 pm »
then checked my blood sugar about 20 minutes later and it was 340! Checked again 30 mins later and it was down to 250.

just so im not confused.....because i am at the min  :D

250? 340? different scale??

mines around 10.4 just before i eat dinner....they did warn me it might be all over to start with....6.6 this morning...
Twitter - @CptChaos
PSN - Wellz-1892

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 02:50:15 pm »
just so im not confused.....because i am at the min  :D

250? 340? different scale??

mines around 10.4 just before i eat dinner....they did warn me it might be all over to start with....6.6 this morning...
Probably a different scale mate, Iīm in Germany so theyīll have a different method. A normal level for me would be 90-120 ish.

Offline caspertheghost

• Legacy Fan
  • When I want your opinion, I'll give it to you
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 02:50:28 pm »
Not diabetic myself but treat a lot of hypos/hypers - the peripheral nerve damage is a real bastard; have come across folk who've had "silent MIs" ie heart attacks without feeling any pain.
What kind of work gets you the nickname Casper the ghost?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »
I check my blood sugar 2 hours after every meal, at least twice a week. Two hours after a full rice meal the blood sugar is normal. Sometimes the level reaches 140, thatīs after a large meal where I havenīt paid too much attention to what I eat. But on the whole blood sugar levels are normal to low. I ate a lot of water melon some weeks ago, then checked my blood sugar about 20 minutes later and it was 340! Checked again 30 mins later and it was down to 250.

Good to hear re the rice. Which tablets do you take (probably metformin to be one) and how many of them...are they the newer model slow-release types

Sorry if I sound a little too nosey!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 02:53:32 pm »
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/blood-sugar-converter.html

mMol / L used in the UK ie 5 - 8 normal.

mg/dl in the US.

Offline vicgill

• "do the simple things but do them well"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Football is the simplest game in the world son,
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 02:59:10 pm »
What is the blood sugar scale and what is a normal reading ?
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and making yourself available to receive a pass, it is really that simple"

"Friend, mourn not, though he premature departs, his wisdom marches on within our hearts"

RIP Ray Osbourne, comrade, epic swindler, and Internet Terrorist Extraordinaire.

Offline Monkey Red

• Jacques Cousteau
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Just add salty water
« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 03:01:36 pm »
Good to hear re the rice. Which tablets do you take (probably metformin to be one) and how many of them...are they the newer model slow-release types

Sorry if I sound a little too nosey!
I take two Metformin a day, one in the morning one in the evening. Reference the rice, I have to eat that black German bread aswell, which can get stuck in your throat, itīs so thick. But itīs full of carbs and is supposed to be good for me. In January Iīm attending a 10 week seminar, with our local diabetician, to go through the stuff you can and canīt eat, and the implications of eating the wrong stuff.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 03:06:00 pm by Monkey Red »