Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Arsenal, Anfield Sat 23rd Dec KO 17:30 GMT  (Read 8410 times)

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated

Referee: Chris Kavanagh
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Dan Robathan
Fourth official: Craig Pawson
VAR: David Coote
Assistant VAR: Lee Betts

Given that we're not quite half way through the season and how close things are currently, the result here may not be all that important overall - however it's also fair to label this as the biggest game of the season so far.

Despite the fact we're a point off top, qualified a game early in the Europa and are in the semi's of the League Cup, it still felt like we were out of form to a degree. So Wednesday night was a real boost. West Ham were perhaps as poor as I can remember and they do have a terrible record at Anfield (one win in their history), but we were sharp, energetic, creative and clinical in a way thats been missing recently.

I think Saturday we find out where we really at.

I haven't followed Arsenal closely but it seems they're less adventurous than last season but have added a bit more control, become harder to beat and it's clearly been effective as they're through to the last 16 of the CL and sit a point ahead of us in the League.
They've got a few injuries, with Partey, Viera, Tomiyasu & Timber out and Elneny and Jorginho doubts, but that doesn't feel like it impacts them massively.

I don't think we've any players due back Saturday, so we're likely still without Jota & Mac Allister and the long term ones (Robbo, Thiago, Matip, Bajcetic, Doak). That still means we can field a strong line up with options on the bench.
I suspect Jones will keep his place with Endo & Szoboszlai in the middle, but Elliott somehow will probably be back on the bench with Salah back in. Not sure about the rest of the forward line.
Probably the only choice in defence is who partners Virgil, and you can make cases for all 3 of Gomez, Konate & Quansah. But I'll let you all discuss line ups, as I'm not really sure how we're going to go.

I think this has all the makings of an open attacking and exciting game, hopefully it ends up that way rather than us both perhaps being too nervy or cancelling each other out. They've put together a good team with the likes of Saka, Martinelli, Odegaard & Rice bringing real quality. They've shown they're dangerous and can win games late (not as often as us mind), but they concede late in games as well. Sometimes these are in games they're ahead in but it's something we may be able to take advantage of to win the game late.

I'm hopeful the cohesion and sharp, quick but controlled play that was evident on Wednesday can be re-produced here, if so we're the better team in my view and if we can show that we win. If we're below our best by any amount then this becomes a very tough game potentially. I like our chances at Anfield, we've got a good record against them at home. I believe we'll be top for Christmas.

Merry Christmas RAWKsters ;)

« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 02:37:01 pm by Twoturtleduvvas »
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Brain Potter

• Embarrassing. Likes to listen through the walls....Auralist Extrodinaire!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Arsenal, Anfield Sat 23rd Dec KO 17:30 GMT
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2023, 02:47:04 pm »
Alisson, TAA, VVD, Konate, Tsimikas, Endo, Jones, Szob, Salah, Nunez, Diaz.

Looks a good enough team to me to win a high scoring encounter.

4-2 LFC.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 02:54:49 pm »
nice post, duvva.

Offline SamLad

• Definitely not a numerologist! Definitely fodder for whimsical modding though... ;) Definitely not 72! Founding member of the Efes Animal Appreciation Society. Very mɪstʃɪvəs.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 03:02:41 pm »
biggest test of the season so far.

their midfield:
- Odegaard is slick as hell, and v fast
- Rice is a machine
- Havertz can play but goes missing more than he shows up

so do we start Endo or move Trent to 6 with Joe at RB?

Endo
- did very well vs West Ham, and vs MU imo (note the "imo" let's not rekindle a tedious debate ok?)
- but Arsenal are a very very different proposition
- Klopp may prefer a natural DM

Trent
- we know what he can do with the ball, without the ball is the issue
- if he's at 6 the Arse players will target the hell out of him
- vs West Ham we saw a glimpse of him at the 6 so you could read the tea leaves to death on that.  but again ... West Ham, in a game that was pretty comfortable at that point

my guess-expectation: I think Klopp will put his faith in Endo, and go with Jones and Dom to continue getting them into rhythm together. but if he does that, I'd like him to tell Trent to cool it with going inside otherwise Martinelli will run riot.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 03:07:57 pm »
This will be a really good test for both teams, should also be a really good football match.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline YNWA.A

• Main Stander
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 03:08:50 pm »
I'd have Gomez at RB to help deal with Martinelli and also going forward, his runs have been helpful down the right. I'd move Trent to midfield with Jones and Szobozslai, Id keep Nunez on the left, Mo central and Harvey on the right. Youd get midfield numbers with him there too.

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 03:11:18 pm »
biggest test of the season so far.

their midfield:
- Odegaard is slick as hell, and v fast
- Rice is a machine
- Havertz can play but goes missing more than he shows up

so do we start Endo or move Trent to 6 with Joe at RB?

Endo
- did very well vs West Ham, and vs MU imo (note the "imo" let's not rekindle a tedious debate ok?)
- but Arsenal are a very very different proposition
- Klopp may prefer a natural DM

Trent
- we know what he can do with the ball, without the ball is the issue
- if he's at 6 the Arse players will target the hell out of him
- vs West Ham we saw a glimpse of him at the 6 so you could read the tea leaves to death on that.  but again ... West Ham, in a game that was pretty comfortable at that point

my guess-expectation: I think Klopp will put his faith in Endo, and go with Jones and Dom to continue getting them into rhythm together. but if he does that, I'd like him to tell Trent to cool it with going inside otherwise Martinelli will run riot.

Trent + Joe at RB:
Get the advantage of TAA in DM but not sacrifice defensive solidity at RB
TAA is faster than Endo
If TAA is in MF, Joe still gives us an attacking threat on the right.
Plus I like the idea of Gakpo dropping deep, TAA + 1 as the centre 3.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online The_Nomad

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 03:14:21 pm »
Will l be forced to watch that jumping gimp Arteta pitch side or is he banished to the stands? So tiresome to watch his side’s time wasting. They seem to have improved their dark arts routines especially in getting opposition players riled up.

Endo has played quite a bit of football and Nunez played the full 90. Tough call for Klopp. We’ll need to pace ourselves for this one. I sincerely hope we only show them as much respect as is required and not an ounce more.
Good Judgement Comes From Experience, Unfortunately Experience Comes From Bad Judgement.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2023, 03:21:55 pm »
This will be a really good test for both teams, should also be a really good football match.
A slugfest but with butterflies. A dogfight but with greyhounds. A stalemate with absolutely nothing stale about it. Hopefully. Pretty much guaranteed a 0-0/1-0/1-1 scoreline though.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2023, 03:28:07 pm »
These are always pretty poor away to anyone half decent so hopefully that continues tomorrow and we are back at the top.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2023, 03:48:44 pm »
if Jones and gakpo start we win
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2023, 04:36:14 pm »
Heard a bloke on the radio saying both sides would take a draw if offered now. Not sure I agree with that, up until the the Mancs game we were 100%.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2023, 04:39:13 pm »
Alisson
Trent   Konate   VVD   Tsimikas
Endo   Szoboszlai   Jones
Salah   Nunez   Gakpo

Hoping the weather is nice and fucking vile, these are fucking fairies when push comes to shove. Reckon we'll be right at them from the off, the old heavy metal football making a comeback for this one would be nice, remember the 5-1 after boxing day? Yeah, something like that would be nice. Arsenal are quite strong around the pitch but I think they have clear deficiencies in goal (hopefully Raya playing but I've got a feeling he'll shit himself and put Ramsdale in) and on both sides at full-back. Endo and Gomez on later to see it out, ta.

A lot has been made of the crowd over the past week. I think the occasion is different than Sunday and can feel something has been building this week. We'll get a reaction on and off the field.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2023, 04:39:28 pm »
Heard a bloke on the radio saying both sides would take a draw if offered now. Not sure I agree with that, up until the the Mancs game we were 100%.

Were at home , I’m hoping for a win

Offline DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2023, 04:41:23 pm »

Yeah dropped points in 2 home games in a week would be shit regardless of the opponents, these have already lost at Villa and Newcastle and fluked an undeserved point at Chelsea after getting dominated all game, got to be beating them at home.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2023, 04:43:05 pm »
Cheers for the OP.

Everything is set up for this to be a fantastic clash. Even if it's low scoring I'm still expecting some good football and some drama. I feel it's not very often we have boring games against Arsenal (although I'm sure I'll be corrected on that one ;D). Buzzing for it personally.

As good as Arsenal are, at home and with their record at Anfield, I would never opt for a draw.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2023, 04:46:07 pm »
I think his name R. Tetta?

Offline MD1990

• Makes your eyes bleed and your brain hurt.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2023, 04:47:14 pm »
Trent hasnt started a game for Liverpool in midield or as a 6.
I cant see him starting this as a 6.
Szobo will have to so alot of running. They'll target Martenelli v Trent 1v1

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2023, 05:30:40 pm »
Saliba out for them…

Who do they have to replace him?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2023, 05:32:19 pm »
The 2-2 last year at Anfield we should've easily won. Their first goal had a big element of luck. Andy's mistake and then Virgil's unlucky flick then Andy's missed clearance.

Mo's missed penalty, two further penalty awards we should have had. Endless goal line clearances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNbHksi9iZs
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2023, 05:33:03 pm »
Saliba out for them…

Can't see that anywhere?

Offline StL-Dono

• Kopite
  • thank you Ian Rush
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2023, 05:33:08 pm »
Wish we had Bobby for this.  He was usually always good for a brace against them. 

I deputize Gakpo to take on that role Saturday. 

I don't think we lose, but can't say I'm confident of a win either.  We should win, but wouldn't be shocked or too upset about a 2-2 scoreline. 

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2023, 05:35:05 pm »
Saliba out for them…
where are you seeing that Tepid?

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2023, 05:35:05 pm »
Saliba out for them…

No one has reported that you clown.  :D

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2023, 05:37:11 pm »
Still think they're overhyped. They've been lucky to get some wins recently. Who would you take from their team other than Saka and maybe Rice?

I'd love to bring them back down to earth and it would be a big statement with City not playing.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2023, 05:51:08 pm »
Just win. Get the 3 points. Happy Days.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #26 on: December 22, 2023, 05:56:56 pm »
No one has reported that you clown.  :D
Spoof ornstein account
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2023, 05:59:16 pm »
Still think they're overhyped. They've been lucky to get some wins recently. Who would you take from their team other than Saka and maybe Rice?

I'd love to bring them back down to earth and it would be a big statement with City not playing.
Martinelli, Odegaard. great bench options, at minimum.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2023, 06:05:34 pm »
looks like jota and macca back for the newcastle game

team v arsenal

ali
trent virg ibou kostas

dom endo jones

mo cody diaz

Offline Angelius

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2023, 06:07:50 pm »
This will be a big test.

We don't do this much anymore - however, West Ham was an exception - but we must start this game well. And try to get a goal in the first half, if we can.

If I had to guess the side based on Wednesday, it would be:

Ali

Trent   Konate   VVD   Tsimi

Szobo  Endo   Curtis

Salah      Gakpo     Diaz

With Elliot, Nunez, Gomez, and Grav on the bench and definitely coming on at some point.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 22, 2023, 06:08:20 pm »
looks like jota and macca might be back for the newcastle game

you missed a key bit ....

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
« Reply #31 on: December 22, 2023, 06:18:47 pm »
you missed a key bit ....

after the burnley game we dont play for 6 days so they should be ready by then

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2023, 06:24:36 pm »
after the burnley game we dont play for 6 days so they should be ready by then
you included a key bit!  :)

BTW it doesn't matter if it's 6 days after Tuesday's game - either they're available on 1/1 or they aren't.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2023, 06:44:09 pm »
Endo would get slaughtered against them in the six IMO. They would massively target him. I'd rather see Trent or even Gomez in there.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2023, 06:46:20 pm »
Endo would get slaughtered against them in the six IMO. They would massively target him. I'd rather see Trent or even Gomez in there.

Why would he get slaughtered?
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2023, 06:52:50 pm »

Not with Jones helping he wouldn’t.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2023, 07:14:45 pm »
Why would he get slaughtered?
He couldn't cope against Palace and their press a couple of weeks back. He's too slow on the turn and when put under pressure he is an obvious weakness to exploit.

I like him and he has a part to play but in a big game against a team like Arsenal he just isn't at the level and nothing he has shown suggests otherwise. To me he actually looks better when he comes forward, his passing is good and he can shoot, but in the six he's been exposed plenty times enough to be worried about how he'd fare against arguably the best team in the league.

Offline SamLad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2023, 07:21:55 pm »
is the Annie Rd fully open tomorrow?

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2023, 07:30:08 pm »
He couldn't cope against Palace and their press a couple of weeks back. He's too slow on the turn and when put under pressure he is an obvious weakness to exploit.

I like him and he has a part to play but in a big game against a team like Arsenal he just isn't at the level and nothing he has shown suggests otherwise. To me he actually looks better when he comes forward, his passing is good and he can shoot, but in the six he's been exposed plenty times enough to be worried about how he'd fare against arguably the best team in the league.

When did this happen?

I see what you mean about Endo but I think there's a big difference between home and away games. How many times do we ever look 2nd best at home? And I'm not talking about the opposition could have nicked it type games, I'm talking about really bested. The only game I have in mind is Real Madrid last season and I'm thinking back a while.

They started well at Anfield last season and in general have been consistently winning games since the start of last season but they just don't win big away games. Not to say it can't happen and nothing will ever really surprise me in football but I fancy the midfield to rise to the occasion tomorrow and see us through. Rice is usually on it even when his team isn't as a whole and Odegaard can be tricky but physically it's the type of game he's liable to go missing in, and I don't think you can play lightweights like Havertz in midfield at Anfield, seen it a thousand times before. On it in front of goal, test Raya, get the win.

Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2023, 07:38:25 pm »
is the Annie Rd fully open tomorrow?
Don’t think it’s fully open until Man City. 57K again
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp