Author Topic: PL: Liverpool v Man United  (Read 26510 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
PL: Liverpool v Man United
« on: December 17, 2023, 03:08:38 pm »

Referee: Michael Oliver
Assistants: Stuart Burt, Dan Cook
Fourth official: Anthony Taylor
VAR: John Brooks
Assistant VAR: Simon Long

There's not a lot to say about this fixture that hasn't been written previously. However I'm not sure there's been a point in the last 30-35 years where we've had this much of an advantage in terms of squad strength and overall standing of the clubs. That doesn't mean we can expect an easy game, despite some of our recent results against them and our clearly superior playing squad, you always have to be ready to battle to win this one.

That's what we've done recently against them though, we've won the battle early, we've scored early and taken away any spirit they may have had. If we can repeat that this Sunday we've got a very good chance of another enjoyable scoreline. If we allow them to get into their gameplan though and don't win that battle this could turn into the type of game we saw against Fulham.

Something that is slightly new - this will be our biggest attendance since a game with Leicester City in 1973 with around 57,000 expected as the new Anfield Upper stand opens for the first time. Looking forward to seeing the extra noise we can generate.

The teams are hard to predict due to injuries on both sides. However at the moment they seem in worse shape than us, due to our strength in depth. Matip's out for the season it seems which is a massive shame, Mac Allister sounds unlikely for this with a strange injury involving the stud slicing through to the knee bone!? We've other long term issues leaving us without Robertson, Thiago, Bajcetic & Jota (although it sounds like he may not be far off). That still leaves us with the ability to field a strong team.

I'm not sure what a strong team is for them. Bruno Fernandes their captain is suspended, didn't fancy it it seems. Their injury list possibly includes Rashford, Martial, Shaw & Maguire. Lindelof, Mount & Eriksen are other possibles. Casemiro & Martinez are definitely out. There may be others, as I've seen headlines about up to 13 missing.

I don't know how much the fact we have 3 games in 6 days will play in the line up. Two big games follow quickly afterwards, we'll need to be strong in all of them. Though you would expect if any of the line ups were to be slightly weaker it would be vs West Ham.

One thing that we will have to improve is our overall level across 90 mins. It's hard to complain about much given we're top, but we've gained a lot of points from losing positions and it's hard to keep up that kind of resilience.
We are going to need to start playing better to win the games we have ahead of us, in ways that don't expend as much energy or can be managed if we build a lead early.
We definitely have the potential to play much better, we've already shown that at times. But we are still in our infancy as a team, meaning we're also vulnerable and inconsistent at times, and we don't look as tight and defensively sound as we should.

Strange results can happen when a team is still learning. So, although on paper I certainly fancy us for 3 wins - thats a lot easier said than done.

But for now we focus on United, and while a strange result is possible if we don’t apply ourselves correctly, I think we play our strongest available team and we’ll prove too good for them by 2-0 or 3-0.

"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: PL: Liverpool v Man United
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 03:32:42 pm »

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 04:30:32 pm »
0 Liverpool kick off and will attack the Spion Kop inthe first half.

On pills for me nerves!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2023, 04:31:50 pm »
1 corner to the reds

Cleared by them and Grav wins a free kick wide right.

That caused chaos!  How the hell did it stay out!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 04:33:32 pm »
They were very fortunate there, the goalie was nowhere.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2023, 04:33:33 pm »
3 Endo trying to weave through their defence.  Eventually snuffed out.  What an atmosphere!
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2023, 04:35:08 pm »
4 another corner after a god run by TAA.  Taken short and behind again.

Too long, but Mo has it on the far side, loops it in and Nunez can only toe end it wide.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2023, 04:35:29 pm »
If ever a game called for us to get an early goal it's this one. Just to up the noise even more.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2023, 04:36:28 pm »
5 United take the goal kick short and they just can’t get beyond 20 yards

Lucky to get another goal kick.

We’re like a pack of wolves on their goalie.

A shot form Antony os blocked on the edge of the area.
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2023, 04:38:48 pm »
8 pass back to Onana who shits himself, slips and just recovers
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2023, 04:40:26 pm »
10 not of decent passing by them but Garnacho shoots very high over form 20 yards

Tsimikas robs them and the reds break.  Szoboszlai shoots over form just outside the area.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 04:43:47 pm »
Just feel like we are trying too hard at the moment. Feels a bit disjointed.

Gotta settle down a bit and start playing flowing football.

We have rarely got early goals, and we really could have done with one today.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 04:44:45 pm »
14 we need to build properly now.  We’ve had a heater skelter start, that’s ok.  Now stick to the game plan and work them
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2023, 04:45:04 pm »
Has Nunez touched the ball yet?
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2023, 04:45:15 pm »
15 over to Jill
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2023, 04:45:44 pm »

He was involved in the action in the opening corner I think. I was surprised we didn't start with Gakpo today.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2023, 04:45:48 pm »
He has now.
W

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #17 on: December 17, 2023, 04:46:42 pm »

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2023, 04:46:45 pm »
15 We had another promising corner there which United are doing their best to help us with, but the whistle goes in the end.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: December 17, 2023, 04:48:17 pm »
16 Another corner on the left, it goes in its initially cleared it comes back out to Trent but his cross in is disappointing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2023, 04:49:18 pm »
Much better football now.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2023, 04:50:19 pm »
19 We continue to get the majority of the possession United are just back in their half defending. But some of our balls in haven't been sharp enough, like the one from Dom which goes out.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2023, 04:51:34 pm »
20 Nunez being lectured by the assistant for knocking over some United statue there.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2023, 04:52:17 pm »
Bit naughty that from  Darwin

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2023, 04:53:06 pm »
22 Tsimikas did well there defending the ball over the line. A little flash by the United player, comes to nothing.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2023, 04:53:31 pm »
Bit naughty that from  Darwin
A foul.  But it’s football.
W

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2023, 04:54:09 pm »
We need to capitalise on our good start, not let them get into it
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2023, 04:54:57 pm »
24 That was a better move with Diaz and Salah but I think Dom hesitated and the ball trickled over the line.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2023, 04:55:10 pm »
We need to capitalise on our good start, not let them get into it
No synergy in the final third.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2023, 04:55:58 pm »
Nunez is going to talk himself off the pitch if he's not careful.

Good pressure from us in the first 20min, but still feels a bit forced and a touch off the crispness we usually play with. Maybe too much emotion in the game right now from us.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2023, 04:57:05 pm »
26 Mainoo left his foot in there on Endo, Neville trying to soften it as usual.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2023, 04:58:09 pm »
27 We are getting into promising position but it then breaks down, Mo and Dom have been a bit sloppy at times.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2023, 04:58:51 pm »
Pity that was straight at Onana

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2023, 04:59:20 pm »
28 We get a corner and this time Van Dijk gets good contact and the goalie pushes it over the bar. The next corner is hit over.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2023, 05:00:15 pm »
No synergy in the final third.
It’s beginning to become a pattern
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2023, 05:00:51 pm »
Much happier with this 15 than the first.

Yes, we’ve bit got the final ball right in the final third, but we’ve kept it inthe right areas and at the right times.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2023, 05:01:03 pm »
30 We are in another promising position but Nunez's ball goes too far across, throw in to United.

Over to Sir Bob.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2023, 05:01:15 pm »
It’s beginning to become a pattern
We’ve been spoilt by our previous front 3 but these lads are on completely different wavelengths.

Offline BobPaisley3

• Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2023, 05:03:22 pm »
33 Scrappy period in the game with a series of throw ins

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2023, 05:04:07 pm »
We’ve been spoilt by our previous front 3 but these lads are on completely different wavelengths.

I think we are missing Jota to a certain extent, he just brings something a bit different. The left in particular is a bit limp at the moment.