Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT  (Read 16915 times)

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: MATCH PREVIEW: Liverpool v Man Utd, Anfield Sun 17 Dec KO 4:30 pm GMT
« Reply #160 on: December 17, 2023, 04:47:15 am »
We rarely play well when there is a large gap between games and we struggle against teams that play a low block. This combined with the lack of form of most of our players makes concerned about tomorrow. I think/hope the deciding factor will be Anfield. My prediction is a narrow/nervy win but I hope I'm wrong and we start put in a performance/convincing win because we cannot sustain a title challenge with our current level of performance.

Spot on

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #161 on: December 17, 2023, 04:48:15 am »
Doesn’t matter how shit these are, this game just means something different.

I just want to pound some morning mimosas and watch us beat these idiots.
Mimosas? Are the games in your morning hours too? I'm in California and it's shit to watch games with coffee in hand, especially the 4:30am ones...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #162 on: December 17, 2023, 05:45:10 am »
Pressure game today. We know Abu City’s result but we’ll also know the Arsenal result before kick off.
There won’t be a 7-0 today (I would love to be wrong) it’ll be a testy affair and they’ll come guns blazing early doors. If we get a goal in the first 25 minutes Anfield will do the rest. A win of any kind will do me, a Maguire OG a shit deflection whatever way it comes I don’t care. We need this win.
Let’s hope we’re 3 or 4 points clear this evening.
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline Johnny Aldridge

• Kopite
  • Red & White Crown Paints Kop
« Reply #163 on: December 17, 2023, 05:50:37 am »
Mimosas? Are the games in your morning hours too? I'm in California and it's shit to watch games with coffee in hand, especially the 4:30am ones...

I just stay drinking from the night before for the 4:30am games. Tomorrow it’ll be coffee and an 8:30am kickoff. I think in ways we’re lucky when it comes to a game like todays. If I was back home you have the whole day waiting for the game the nerves the slagging from the Utd fans just waiting the whole day for the game to kick off. I’ll roll out of bed at 8am and deal with the nervy feeling for half an hour instead of 8 or 9!!
For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side.
Bill Shankly 1913-1981.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #164 on: December 17, 2023, 06:26:27 am »
I just stay drinking from the night before for the 4:30am games. Tomorrow it’ll be coffee and an 8:30am kickoff. I think in ways we’re lucky when it comes to a game like todays. If I was back home you have the whole day waiting for the game the nerves the slagging from the Utd fans just waiting the whole day for the game to kick off. I’ll roll out of bed at 8am and deal with the nervy feeling for half an hour instead of 8 or 9!!
That will certainly do my liver (whatever is left of it)... :)
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2023, 07:12:19 am »
they'll approach this like men possessed following their utter humiliation last season.......

Nah, I don’t think they’ve got it in them.

They’ve had the odd occasion this season where they’ve looked like a slick, coherent attacking unit but usually only against weaker opposition. They don’t even know who their best starting eleven is from one week to the next and they don’t have any kind of team identity.

By contrast, we’re not at our peak by any stretch of the imagination but we are always well organised and have players who can rotate seamlessly into the team. Plus there’s Klopp’s ability to always know exactly what he needs to do to change things up in the second half if necessary, who to bring on to make a difference.

Bournemouth sliced through them with ease last week and looked like scoring every time they went forward. I expect us to do much the same. It may not be another seven goal humiliation but I expect us to win by at least a two goal margin.

If they somehow manage to raise their game I’ll settle for a gritty 1-0, but I just don’t see them having the stomach for it.

Offline JRed

• After a 2L bottle of strongbow I’d do anything!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: December 17, 2023, 08:11:59 am »
This is still the PL’s biggest game of the season.
I don’t get why some in here are so worried. Yes it will be a battle, but we should be extremely confident. Imagine you were United fans, you’d have something to worry about then!
If we get the first goal then United will crumble, same as last season.

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: December 17, 2023, 08:14:46 am »

With the moaning twat suspended and Rashford well off it at the moment, their biggest goal threat is probably Mctominay..

We just need to treat this like another game.. play to our potential and pick up a win.. The importance or the 3 points today can't be overstated.. Just win..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #168 on: December 17, 2023, 08:20:10 am »
Players will be focused

Gomez at RB with Trent as 6

Honestly, I just don't get this clamour for Trent to move into midfield. I personally don't see him as a CM and don't particularly think he's looked good playing there. For example I thought he was poor when he was moved into midfield against Palace.

It's not going to happen but I just wish we would abandon the inverted system. I want Trent staying wide and giving us width. We look better when he does as I often think he stunts the midfield when he inverts.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 09:01:57 am by HardworkDedication »

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: December 17, 2023, 08:31:52 am »
I don’t get why some in here are so worried. Yes it will be a battle, but we should be extremely confident. Imagine you were United fans, you’d have something to worry about then!

I felt less nervous 20 years ago when they were clearly better than us and the game felt like a free hit. I imagine many of their fans feel the same today... fuck it, we lose, we get a new manager, we win, we help keep the dippers off their perch.

My nerves also aren't helped by the 3.30am kick off, it's much easier when actually watching the game and especially in the light of day. I just hope I can switch my brain off and stay asleep until at least 4.30, but the reality is I'll probably be wide awake at 2.45 for the team announcements.

Offline reddazforever

• Anny Roader
« Reply #170 on: December 17, 2023, 08:35:06 am »

We need to be careful today. Last year roles were reversed. I remember Utd going into the game on a roll and full of confidence. We were struggling and I fully expected us to get a draw at best but look what happened. Football’s a funny old game and there are no easy points and certainly not against our biggest foes
Proudest ever moment was in the Ataturk stadium - i'm sure the wife will understand!

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: December 17, 2023, 08:38:50 am »
Honestly, I just don't get this clamour for Trent to move into a midfield. I personally don't see him as a CM and don't particularly think he's looked good playing there. For example I thought he was poor when he was moved into midfield against Palace.

It's not going to happen but I just wish we would abandon the inverted system. I want Trent staying wide and giving us width. We look better when he does as I often think he stunts the midfield when he inverts.

Got to agree. He's usually racked up like ten assists by now and instead he's on two. I could see the argument if it meant he was outperforming his usually tally but the in terms of output for the team it's a net negative.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: December 17, 2023, 09:02:36 am »
I played a fortune telling game against them on PES. We won 5-2, they got 2 red cards, Darwin missed a sitter and scored a worldie.

Very realistic game. 😁

Offline ByrdmanLFC

• Anny Roader
« Reply #173 on: December 17, 2023, 09:08:06 am »
I am honestly worried, United are at their worst since i am alive and we are top of the league. Everyone expects us to smash them, i just hate this feeling. Just want us to win, no matter how, but we have not been great despite picking up a lot of points. Just win, no matter how. Maybe a 1-0 scrappy win would be better than anything else if it keeps that clueless bald tw*t in a job for them.

Saying that, everything is possible, from 0-0 to 10-0 (honestly), never seen a team that folds so fast when things go against them like this United squad. Can remember us being atrocious for years and still fighting in these kind of games, while United get twatted regularly these last few years.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 09:11:28 am by ByrdmanLFC »

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #174 on: December 17, 2023, 09:18:44 am »
They'll be despereate to do well I think which means they will try to attack, should help us loads

Offline wah00ey

• Gappy Gumbo, especially at the back.....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Stay away from Twitter, it's no good for anyone.
« Reply #175 on: December 17, 2023, 09:30:57 am »
I am honestly worried, United are at their worst since i am alive and we are top of the league. Everyone expects us to smash them, i just hate this feeling. Just want us to win, no matter how, but we have not been great despite picking up a lot of points. Just win, no matter how. Maybe a 1-0 scrappy win would be better than anything else if it keeps that clueless bald tw*t in a job for them.

Saying that, everything is possible, from 0-0 to 10-0 (honestly), never seen a team that folds so fast when things go against them like this United squad. Can remember us being atrocious for years and still fighting in these kind of games, while United get twatted regularly these last few years.
Proper banana skin today isn't it?  I'm very edgy.
Look up "Odious" in the dictionary and Martin Samuel is the given definition.  Call me Klopphooey please.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #176 on: December 17, 2023, 09:31:00 am »
They'll be despereate to do well I think which means they will try to attack, should help us loads

They won’t attack.

They will sit in with 10 behind ball and hope to break.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #177 on: December 17, 2023, 09:34:27 am »
Not worried about them, but not taking it for granted either (as it’s them).

Into these Liverpool. Nothing to fear. Just get the job done.

2-0 to the Redmen.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #178 on: December 17, 2023, 09:35:02 am »
Honestly, I just don't get this clamour for Trent to move into midfield. I personally don't see him as a CM and don't particularly think he's looked good playing there. For example I thought he was poor when he was moved into midfield against Palace.

This! Trent is not good in midfield and is in fact stifling play in that area, he needs to get out of the way and revert to right back
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #180 on: December 17, 2023, 09:44:05 am »
Just win. I don't care how.

A 1-0 where it takes twelve deflections before creeping in off a post will do just fine. Three points please.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: December 17, 2023, 10:16:09 am »
This! Trent is not good in midfield and is in fact stifling play in that area, he needs to get out of the way and revert to right back
We have had a pretty major upturn in form since the move though, haven't we? Although we've scored winners in games after we've made changes so that could be skewed a little bit.

I kind of agree about the system, on the eye at least it doesn't look that great at the moment. Mo is suffering having to be the one offering the width and can't get in to games, and everyone's just in each others way in the middle. We only looked dangerous against Palace once we had a proper right back offering width.

It would be bold to change from it at this stage of the season, though. I disagree that Trent isn't good in midfield, I'd be tempted by what the original poster said there, give Gomez a run at right back and just play Trent in the middle.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #182 on: December 17, 2023, 10:34:11 am »
I think we’ll be fine. There’s an odd split through the fanbase online with this one, with many predicting a highly unlikely thrashing again and others being crazily, ominously pessimistic.

They’ll set up in a low block but I don’t think they’ve the discipline to hold it for the entire game without a single mistake when you account for the personnel. This is also a game I’d be encouraging Szoboszlai and Trent to be shooting from distance in the early exchanges because I wouldn’t trust Onana to even gather ingredients from his kitchen cupboard. He will spill and that will create scrambles and chances.

Maguire, Eriksen, Fernandes, Martial, Lindelof, Malacia, Mount, Martinez, Casemiro, Sancho and Diallo are either missing or highly likely to miss the game. On top of that, there’s a rumour going round that Rashford has norovirus and also will not make the trip.

We really should and really have to win this, however it’s done. I get worse nerves for this than any other game and I know when I’m driving to the game I’ll start to get more and more nerves. Looking forward to it though, when I finally got a season ticket after literal decades of waiting, this and the derby were the two fixtures I picked out first.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2023, 10:52:14 am »
Just twat them !
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2023, 10:53:00 am »
I'll never not be nervous before this fixture. No matter how shit they are, no matter how far they seem to have fallen, it doesn't matter. I guess it's a hangover from watching them in the 90s at the height of their pomp. But nah, this will always be a horrible fixture for me. I don't, for one second, expect to deliver another absolute battering like we did last time. Honestly, any win will do.

Also, anyone else think they might actually be better without Fernandes?

Offline Rob17

• Legacy Fan
  • The Ultimate Wingman
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2023, 10:54:40 am »
I'll never not be nervous before this fixture. No matter how shit they are, no matter how far they seem to have fallen, it doesn't matter. I guess it's a hangover from watching them in the 90s at the height of their pomp. But nah, this will always be a horrible fixture for me. I don't, for one second, expect to deliver another absolute battering like we did last time. Honestly, any win will do.

Also, anyone else think they might actually be better without Fernandes?

I’m happy Fernandes is out…he’s one of their only players that no matter how they are playing could pop up with a worldie out of nothing.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2023, 10:57:17 am »
Usually hate this fixture more than any other, looking forward to it today though, we've handed out some twattings to them recently, will happily take a 1-0 today though.

An early goal would be good to relax any jitters that I have!
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #187 on: December 17, 2023, 10:57:17 am »
Absolutely no way this will be easy. If we win it will be by a nervy narrow margin. This is the least I’ve looked forward to a United game since Ferguson.

Offline Elliemental

• Kopite
  • You Love Us
« Reply #188 on: December 17, 2023, 10:58:42 am »
I’m happy Fernandes is out…he’s one of their only players that no matter how they are playing could pop up with a worldie out of nothing.

While that's true, his histrionics also drag the team down. Without that, they might be sharper overall.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #189 on: December 17, 2023, 11:16:56 am »
first time onana will be playing against us. he is going to have a worldie isnt he?

but worldie or not. we are going to smash these inbreds!

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: December 17, 2023, 11:19:51 am »
Never underestimate a terrible side’s ability to raise their game against a bitter rival. Everton have been doing it for years. United have got the odd result against City in recent years.

I’m pretty nervous for this one. Particularly if Rashford and Fernandes are out, because you can count on those two to throw in the towel at the first sight of adversity.

Onana is garbage though. Need to take our chances, just get them on target.

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #191 on: December 17, 2023, 11:25:03 am »
Rashfords biggest issue lately seems to be he can't be arsed. Doubt that will be the case today and he will pose a threat.
We just need to avoid terrible luck and terrible refereeing and we'll be fine.
Would love three points and for a draw for the seagulls.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #192 on: December 17, 2023, 11:29:12 am »

While that's true, his histrionics also drag the team down. Without that, they might be sharper overall.

They have been without him before and still haven't managed to do that well.  :)
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #193 on: December 17, 2023, 11:37:06 am »
Tory Tory Man United

Expect these arseholes will bring out their usual Tory favourites this match

After their City welcomed the Tory Party Conference as well
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #194 on: December 17, 2023, 11:41:43 am »
I was out on the lash test yesterday and only just seen that City drew with Palace :lmao
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: December 17, 2023, 11:45:42 am »
Just fucking win, Reds.

And for those that are going, give them hell. Sing every song, shout for every throw in, whistle them every time they get the ball. Make it hell.

Up the top of the league Reds.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline smutchin

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: December 17, 2023, 11:47:31 am »
I think we’ll be fine. There’s an odd split through the fanbase online with this one, with many predicting a highly unlikely thrashing again and others being crazily, ominously pessimistic.

Always the same when we play these twats. The reality is always going to be somewhere between those extremes. I agree with you - we’ll be fine.

I can be complacent about it because I know the players won’t be.

That said, the nerves will kick in once the game starts and won’t settle until we’re at least two ahead.

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #197 on: December 17, 2023, 11:49:31 am »
Starting to shit myself over this one. On paper it should be a victory and probably a comfortable one. But it kind of reminds me of the Chelsea away game when we had just sold them Torres. No one expecting us to win and we pull off a 1-0.

Hoping that won't be the case but United really have fuck all to lose here. We need to be winning with City dropping points so hopefully we get the result. Please do not lose.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #198 on: December 17, 2023, 12:07:38 pm »
Starting to shit myself over this one. On paper it should be a victory and probably a comfortable one. But it kind of reminds me of the Chelsea away game when we had just sold them Torres. No one expecting us to win and we pull off a 1-0.

Hoping that won't be the case but United really have fuck all to lose here. We need to be winning with City dropping points so hopefully we get the result. Please do not lose.

Every time I think we'll twat them - we don't.

Just. Fucking. Win.

I'd rip your arm off for 1-0 right now
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #199 on: December 17, 2023, 12:12:54 pm »
Just fucking win, Reds.

And for those that are going, give them hell. Sing every song, shout for every throw in, whistle them every time they get the ball. Make it hell.

Up the top of the league Reds.
This is important, that in the ground it’s rocking. The section I sit in can be a bit quiet but I’ll be doing my bit today. What will help is that the new Annie road stand will be full for the first time properly. Can’t wait.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2023, 12:15:46 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez