Author Topic: Raheem Sterling  (Read 109736 times)

Offline Kopmeister

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #760 on: June 8, 2023, 12:53:18 am »
Met him once on a plane at the beginning of his Liverpool career.
A very polite and humble young man.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #761 on: June 8, 2023, 07:58:00 am »
I think Guardiola's style, helped disguise his weaknesses - he turned into a tap in merchant.

Before he wasn't putting up 20+G&A numbers, when he was with us and subsequently left, one of his biggest weaknesses was his shooting and how weak it was.

Whilst he could and did beat players 1 on 1, he wasn't an elite dribbler or had incredible skill... he had a low centre of gravity, quick drop of the shoulder and pace to burn.

In itself it’s not a bad quality. His greatest asset was his movement I think. Even as a young kid he had a good game intelligence which is why he got so many of those tap ins. He timed his runs well to get on the end of things.

Wonder if he’ll get much of a look in under Pochettino. He has so many options he’ll be needing to make some quick decisions.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #762 on: February 1, 2024, 08:28:20 am »
Still absolutely shits the bed at Anfield. A certain Northern Irish academy graduate had him in his pocket all game

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #763 on: February 1, 2024, 09:42:03 am »
Still absolutely shits the bed at Anfield. A certain Northern Irish academy graduate had him in his pocket all game
Wanted him to go against Gomez just so Joe smashed him.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: February 1, 2024, 12:04:22 pm »
He has gone to shit since going to Chelsea.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #765 on: February 1, 2024, 01:02:23 pm »
He has gone to shit since going to Chelsea.

I haven't watched him so can only go off this match. But has he had a single good game at Anfield since leaving us?

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #766 on: February 1, 2024, 01:22:50 pm »
Think this is the beginning of the end for Sterling now. Can see him being the kind of player who retires fairly early-ish, like 32 or 33.

Offline Antonio Chigurh

• Kemlynite
« Reply #767 on: February 1, 2024, 02:03:53 pm »
He's unplugged from Guardiola's robofootball and he doesn't know what to do anymore. Any creativity he once had has been coached out of him.

Online mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #768 on: February 1, 2024, 02:05:59 pm »
Just imagine if he stayed with us...

He'd have been warming the bench watching Mane, Firmino, Salah, Nunez, Jota, etc etc....

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #769 on: February 1, 2024, 07:27:23 pm »
Think this is the beginning of the end for Sterling now. Can see him being the kind of player who retires fairly early-ish, like 32 or 33.

He's played over 600 competitive games for City/Liverpool/Chelsea and England and is still only just 29. That's a lot of miles on the clock.

He'll point to the trophy count he's got at City (although City/Chelsea/Liverpool all won the CL when he wasn't there). He was never amazing for City though and just another cog in the robotic Pep machine, who isn't particularly remembered fondly there anyway. On a professional level he may always wonder how good he could have been if he'd stayed here through the Klopp reign.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: February 1, 2024, 08:04:24 pm »
Between him and the absolutely turgid Chilwell it was a particularly repugnant left side, wasn't it?

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: February 2, 2024, 11:20:18 am »
I think it depends when his pace starts to wane.  He's always had two outstanding attributes; pace and movement off the ball.  What's disappointing - although not for me personally as he did the dirty on us - is that the other parts of his game haven't really improved since he was a teenager.  His finishing is more miss than hit, his dribbling is basic but effective due to his pace, he hasn't developed any playmaking ability and he doesn't come across as a leader (Chelsea captains are James, Chilwell and Gallagher!!).

He mastered the far post overload under Guardiola and his goal and trophy record during that period are hugely impressive.  As others have said though, it's really just a footnote in the story of Guardiola, and Man City fans seem much more likely to speak fondly of David Silva or Aguero.

I think he was right to leave Man City as he said he wanted to prove himself and be in contention for the Ballon d'Or.  Without that strong all around game though and with the ensuing chaos at Chelsea he's pretty much a forgotten man now.  Even Southgate has moved on.

He doesn't striker me as a player that's going to want to drag his career on when he's no longer at his best (like Ashley Young, for example).

Offline masher

• Legacy Fan
  • hippie at heart
« Reply #772 on: February 3, 2024, 02:55:53 pm »
Just imagine if he stayed with us...

He'd have been warming the bench watching Mane, Firmino, Salah, Nunez, Jota, etc etc....

I think Klopp would have turned him into a world beater, he would have been awesome along side the front 3.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: February 3, 2024, 03:27:14 pm »
Didn't he complain that if he'd known Rodgers was going to be replaced by Klopp he'd have stuck around.

In the past we would have ended up sorely missing a player like him, but thanks to Jurgen we never felt the loss.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #774 on: February 4, 2024, 10:51:07 am »
He's unplugged from Guardiola's robofootball and he doesn't know what to do anymore. Any creativity he once had has been coached out of him.

This. He was the definition of wonderkid and then Guardiola made him a cog in the machine. He'd have been one of the best players in the league had he stayed under Klopp.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #775 on: February 4, 2024, 11:01:08 am »
This. He was the definition of wonderkid and then Guardiola made him a cog in the machine. He'd have been one of the best players in the league had he stayed under Klopp.

He'd stalled under Rodgers after Suarez left but the team had gone to shit. He missed the boat with Klopp in terms of his own potential. Look how Coutinho and Bobby kicked on.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #776 on: February 5, 2024, 08:47:45 pm »
He'd stalled under Rodgers after Suarez left but the team had gone to shit. He missed the boat with Klopp in terms of his own potential. Look how Coutinho and Bobby kicked on.

If memory serves, wasn't he our top scorer for his last season? Or thereabouts?

I think the issue in his last season was the entire team totally nosedived. We went from having the most feared attack in the league to a laughing stock, but didn't help that Sturridge was out for most of the season.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #777 on: February 5, 2024, 09:34:43 pm »
If memory serves, wasn't he our top scorer for his last season? Or thereabouts?

I think the issue in his last season was the entire team totally nosedived. We went from having the most feared attack in the league to a laughing stock, but didn't help that Sturridge was out for most of the season.

Him or Coutinho probably. Sturbridge injured for so much of it.

Edit - Gerrard (13), Sterling (11), Coutinho (8), all comps.
« Last Edit: February 5, 2024, 09:36:43 pm by Crosby Nick »

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
« Reply #778 on: February 6, 2024, 05:31:26 pm »

Edit - Gerrard (13), Sterling (11), Coutinho (8), all comps.

Good return for him back in that awful side, and at the age he was.

I do wonder though if he had stayed, if we'd have bought Mane.

Online GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #779 on: February 6, 2024, 10:34:23 pm »

Edit - Gerrard (13), Sterling (11), Coutinho (8 ), all comps.

That's a grim top scorers list :) I guess I must be a generous soul because when I think of Rodgers I think of 13/14 and not the dire situation Jurgen had to rescue us from.

And if memory serves, something like 12 of those Gerrard goals were penalties!

Offline Circa1892

• Real Madrid 0 - 1 Liverpool - Parc des Princes, 27th May 1981 Remember?... About as intimidating as Bambi.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: February 8, 2024, 01:59:05 pm »
That's a grim top scorers list :) I guess I must be a generous soul because when I think of Rodgers I think of 13/14 and not the dire situation Jurgen had to rescue us from.

And if memory serves, something like 12 of those Gerrard goals were penalties!

Yeah all penalties except one against Leicester(?) where he scored from open play - but from the penalty spot.

Sterling was really good that season but his finishign was dire. I remember when we played against United with a new formation and he missed at least three 1:1s, including one where he'd rounded De Gea.

Offline Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #781 on: February 8, 2024, 02:05:11 pm »
Yeah all penalties except one against Leicester(?) where he scored from open play - but from the penalty spot.

Sterling was really good that season but his finishign was dire. I remember when we played against United with a new formation and he missed at least three 1:1s, including one where he'd rounded De Gea.

And then down the other end Brad Jones dived the wrong way!

Think Sterling’s youth and versatility counted against him slightly when Rodgers was looking for solutions. Didn’t he end up having to play right wing back for a bit as well. Don’t think it happened too often but recall his slimy agent using that against the club as a factor in why he wanted out.

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #782 on: February 27, 2024, 07:34:53 pm »
Sterling looks to have gone off the boil in a big way since joining Chel$ea. Perhaps he has too many miles in his legs, maybe the never ending arrival and departure of players and managers has unsettled him. Whatever it is, he does not show much leadership for considering he’s 29 and has won nearly everything.
Justice for the 96!

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: February 27, 2024, 08:41:25 pm »
Do the majority of players who have played under Guardiola display many leadership traits?  They play for a manager who quite literally micro manages them as they play, and gives them very little freedom.

He's not a leader at all.

Although he won lots at City, I personally think he would have developed into a better player had he stayed at Liverpool/ gone to a different team.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: February 27, 2024, 09:49:40 pm »
Sterling looks to have gone off the boil in a big way since joining Chel$ea. Perhaps he has too many miles in his legs, maybe the never ending arrival and departure of players and managers has unsettled him. Whatever it is, he does not show much leadership for considering he’s 29 and has won nearly everything.

To be fair, just about every player who has joined Chelsea recently has gone off the boil in a big way.

Popcorn's Art

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: February 27, 2024, 10:41:01 pm »
To be fair, just about every player who has joined Chelsea recently has gone off the boil in a big way.

True
Justice for the 96!

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: February 28, 2024, 10:32:24 am »
He has always been a back post tap in merchant. Not much else to his game really.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: February 28, 2024, 11:47:09 pm »
A boyhood Man Utd fan (apparently) who left us for city before joining Chelsea. All he has left is to finish his career at Everton. Will the Championship be too physical for him?

Offline Henry Gale

• Margot Robbie Stalker
  • Legacy Fan
  • My name is Henry Gale. I'm from Minnesota.
« Reply #788 on: February 29, 2024, 04:42:58 pm »
A boyhood Man Utd fan (apparently) who left us for city before joining Chelsea. All he has left is to finish his career at Everton. Will the Championship be too physical for him?

He will never play in the Championship  ;D

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #789 on: March 1, 2024, 02:34:06 am »
 He must be gutted he left Liverpool. Was the big swinging dick for England when he went for Gomez and now can’t get in the squad.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: March 1, 2024, 07:55:33 pm »
He has always been a back post tap in merchant. Not much else to his game really.

I seem to recall Suarez teeing him up for a lot of tap in goals. At the time we thought it was great that Luis was giving Raheem confidence to play his game. Didn't he say something along the lines that if he knew LFC were planning to bring Jurgen in, he would never have agitated for his move to City?

He can't really complain, though. He won plenty at Abu Dhabi. Oh yeah - they might lose all that...

Popcorn's Art

Offline ValiantInstance

• Main Stander
« Reply #791 on: March 2, 2024, 08:20:59 am »
I've always maintained he was a much more complete player when he was here. He was a playmaker for us playing in the diamond, not afraid to take on his man, a constant menace. I even recall a few great long passes.

Pep did to him what Mourinho did to Joe Cole.
« Last Edit: March 2, 2024, 08:22:33 am by ValiantInstance »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: March 2, 2024, 10:16:48 am »
Was an excellent player for us, elevated his goalscoring at City but now looks a bit washed at Chelsea. Looks a shoe-in for an Everton type of club in the coming seasons, would be a lock for Sunderland back in the day

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #793 on: March 2, 2024, 12:29:46 pm »
I think he had about three or four great months for Liverpool, the run in to that 2013/14 season's end. Some big contributions like the brace against Arsenal, the goal against City, the brace the week after at Norwich. Before that and the season after I don't think he was anywhere near that level for us. No shame in it considering he was only young but I felt as if our own fans overrated him quite a bit. A lot of people thought he was quite good in that tough 2014/15 season but I never really saw it.

The goals were always going to come but take away the tap ins with a dominant City side and he'd have looked so much more average. His general play never really improved and take him out of City's side it obviously shows. I think naturally he'd have struggled going into his 30s anyway given his size. He's probably got a stint at Juventus or Milan in him if they can get him on loan. I don't even think United would take him at this stage.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #794 on: March 17, 2024, 02:44:10 pm »
Looks like he's now hated more by Chelsea fans than he is with us. :P

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #795 on: March 21, 2024, 03:53:08 pm »
Looks like he's now hated more by Chelsea fans than he is with us. :P
I read that they were booing him.  Other than that he's a senior player and not performing particularly well is there anything more to it?

Offline keano7

• Legacy Fan
  • Alonso follows it in!
« Reply #796 on: March 21, 2024, 04:11:12 pm »
I read that they were booing him.  Other than that he's a senior player and not performing particularly well is there anything more to it?
Nope. Just that he missed a pen and skied a free kick on the edge of the box into row Z. Hasn’t had a good season by any means but he’s still contributed a fair bit in comparison to some of the other duffs they’ve bought.
"Can't wait for this one me mates picking me up in a van"

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: March 21, 2024, 04:27:55 pm »
That sounds like the kind of thing that a player might like some support from the stands over - assuming he didn't deliberately miss the penalty and free-kick.  What do we know though, eh?

I remember their supporters being supportive of Torres when he was there even though he barely mustered a handful of good performances in his first season.  I guess it's easier to be supportive of an underachieving player when the team is doing well despite them.  Or maybe it's because a section of their fans never warmed to Sterling for some reason  :-X

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: March 21, 2024, 04:29:43 pm »
You're all forgetting the most important thing "Once  Scouse bastard, always a Scouse bastard"
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
« Reply #799 on: March 21, 2024, 04:30:31 pm »
I mean its also Chelsea so you know...racist and that