Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3473998 times)

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #41840 on: February 18, 2016, 03:23:40 pm »
Anyone seen The Bridge of Spies or The Lobster?
I might put one on later
Both were excellent. I particularly enjoyed The Lobster, the chat by the jacuzzi and rave in the forest the two stand out scenes.

TBoS was a grand flick, a very "Spielberg" film though so if you don't dig his brand probably swerve.

Very different films, one holds your hand throughout and the other pushes it away ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave
« Last Edit: February 18, 2016, 04:06:26 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #41841 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:48 pm »
i'll watch em both so

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41842 on: February 18, 2016, 03:24:53 pm »
It was excellent.

I might put one on later

Watched the Lobster a while ago. Decent enough watch once I manged to get over the strange pacing. Farrell did a very good job.

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41843 on: February 18, 2016, 04:35:54 pm »
The other two I need to see are 31 and The Green Room. Rob Zombie and clowns....I'm in.

Green Room got mostly great reviews at Cannes...I read in Variety iirc, and still hasn't been released. It's the latest film from the director of Blue Ruin, Jeremy Saulnier-it's now down for April 1st release date-so fuck knows when that'll be around.
Any further word of these two you auld codger? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41844 on: February 18, 2016, 05:10:32 pm »
Any further word of these two you auld codger? ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :wave
Green Room is down for a limited release on the 16th of April followed by a general on the 29th of April....it's over a year since Cannes 15 by then.

31...who knows....not I. ;D  I do know he finally got the R rating he was after, last month.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Red_Irishman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Absolutely Bobbins"
« Reply #41845 on: February 19, 2016, 12:26:03 am »
Won 2 tickets to see Bone Tomahawk at the weekend and I can't go. Disaster.
“If Everton were playing down the bottom of my garden, I'd draw the curtains.” - Bill Shankly 1913 - 1981

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #41846 on: February 19, 2016, 01:10:39 am »
Rewatched "The Road" last night, and still can't understand why it was so underrated on it's release.

Still found it an incredible powerful and absorbing film, with amazing performances from the leads and a great sensitive direction. The ending still makes me shed a tear.

The post apocalyptic word is masterfully constructed and some of the shots depicting it are as distressing as they're beautiful.

Most of the criticism I remember it receiving were that it was too bleak and not as good as the book, which I still found puzzling. It's certainly bleak, but there have been tons of more successful films way bleaker. It haves enough glimmers of hope so that it never becomes entirely disheartening, and it ends on a quite uplifting note, albeit bittersweet.

Having read the book, I still don't think they could have made a much better job at adapting it. They captured the heart of it perfectly for me. Yeah, the Charlize Theron flashbacks weren't the most inspired additions, but I still think they added to the story.

One of my favorites movies of the last decade, and while it's not that old, one I still keep going back to.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 01:22:40 am by Lastrador »

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
  • You wrote a bad song Petey!
« Reply #41847 on: February 19, 2016, 03:20:19 am »
The Lobster is without a doubt one of the best films of 2015. Just an incredibly fun film.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41848 on: February 19, 2016, 04:52:36 am »
Victor Frankenstein 2015 1080p WEBRip x264 AAC-m2g

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #41849 on: February 19, 2016, 10:11:30 am »
Rewatched "The Road" last night, and still can't understand why it was so underrated on it's release.

One of my favorites movies of the last decade, and while it's not that old, one I still keep going back to.

Agree completely - it's very underrated. It probably doesn't help that the novel is one of the greatest of this century (certainly my favourite by a long way) so expectations were sky high, but it's a pretty great adaptation.
Casting is excellent.  Robert Duvall and Michael K Williams in the minor roles are just amazing and completely heartbreaking.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #41850 on: February 19, 2016, 03:43:32 pm »
It was excellent.

I might put one on later

Watched the lobster about a month ago & really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch.
As for Bridge of Spies, I've been meaning to watch that for a while but keep putting it off.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41851 on: February 19, 2016, 08:02:47 pm »
Watched the lobster about a month ago & really enjoyed it, definitely worth a watch.

Want to see The Lobster, looks really interesting. Dogtooth was too although I can't say I'd ever be in the mood to watch that again. The Lobster looks more 'friendly' in that respect.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline CrasherKid79

• Crashedandburnedkid2017
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41852 on: February 19, 2016, 08:09:11 pm »
The Lobster is amazing if thats your thing. I would describe the humour as League of Gentlemen mixed with Father Ted .... played straight as hell

Very, very much my bag, loved it !!

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41853 on: February 19, 2016, 08:27:56 pm »
The Lobster is without a doubt one of the best films of 2015. Just an incredibly fun film.
of all the words to describe it, I wouldn't choose "fun"

I watched it with my dad and he took the piss out of it, wasn't interested in watching the whole thing. I finished it, but it's one of those things where I can respect it as what it is, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it. Pretty dark, but it was good. Wouldn't want to watch it again.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41854 on: February 19, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »
Want to see The Lobster, looks really interesting. Dogtooth was too although I can't say I'd ever be in the mood to watch that again. The Lobster looks more 'friendly' in that respect.

Dogtooth is a much weirder film. The Lobster is basically a quite straightforward film.

It's basically a quite dark (but not pitch black like some would describe it) comedy set in a dystopia with two or three simple premises.

of all the words to describe it, I wouldn't choose "fun"

I watched it with my dad and he took the piss out of it, wasn't interested in watching the whole thing. I finished it, but it's one of those things where I can respect it as what it is, but I'm not sure if I enjoyed it. Pretty dark, but it was good. Wouldn't want to watch it again.

mmm.. It's not a film to take the piss out of, to get maximum enjoyment, I don't think. You might have enjoyed it more if you watched it with the right company. Why not fun? It's dark, but it's also basically wall-to-wall jokes.

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #41855 on: February 19, 2016, 11:22:32 pm »
Just got round to watching Spotlight then, absolutely brilliant film with some decent performances, had me my full interest from start to finish. Its only the 3rd out of 8 oscar nominated films that i've seen but its the best one so far (the other 2 being The Martian & Mad Max, going to watch the others over the course of the next week before sunday).

Offline Stussy

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ...we had dreams and songs to sing...
« Reply #41856 on: February 20, 2016, 01:37:36 am »
Deadpool is so wonderful I chuckled and enjoyed it all the way through

This has singlehandedly revived superhero movies, smaller scale, witty, clever, filthy and fun

Bravo Ryan Reynolds
"My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in."

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41857 on: February 20, 2016, 02:45:40 am »
I saw Steve Jobs last night and was very entertained.

It's not Sorkin-bait quite as much as The Newsroom, but it's got all the classic Sorkin elements that fans will love. Like so many Sorkin stories, it's a portrait of a great, flawed man, and the people in his life professional and personal lives. The dialogue is, as always, a lot of fun, and there are plenty of zingers flying around. One departure from the rest of Sorkin's work is the structure of the film, which unfolds like a three act play, across three particular product launches over a 14 year period in his life. This is a bold and effective choice, because for me at least, biopics tend to get bogged down by the clutter of covering too much of the subject's life. The three-launch structure keeps Steve Jobs focused on the the man's larger-than-life strengths and flaws, which come across in his interactions with his colleagues and family. Fassbender, Winslet, Daniels and Rogen all give terrific, nuanced performances.

The performances, and the film overall, are very theatrical. I can see a quite good play coming out of this, if only Sorkin could work on polishing the final scenes of the last act just a little. Without spoiling anything (for those of us that know less about the life of Jobs), I felt a little let down that a film for 90 minutes relentlessly cross-examined the Steve Jobs' flaws, takes a marked step back in the last two or three scenes, softening on his portrayal a great deal - to put it kindly.

I'd be interested to hear how Sorkin's critics on his writing of female characters view this film. It certainly doesn't pass the Bechdel test, and I think the fact that all the female characters' lives, even Kate Winslet's character's, revolve around Jobs, may attract more criticism.

I give the film a solid 4/5, as solid entertainment that I think most people would enjoy. Sorkin should try and work with Danny Boyle a lot more. They're a match made in heaven.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41858 on: February 20, 2016, 06:19:50 am »
I saw Deadpool yesterday and thought it was boring as fuck and full of contrived humour. I'll freely admit that I skip most superhero films, so maybe I didn't get the references etc, but I was so bored by it all. My friends enjoyed it a great deal, though, so I'm in a clear minority here. The chick in the film was great. 
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41859 on: February 20, 2016, 10:12:36 am »
Triple 9. Quite a let down.
THOSE AREN'T FINGERS. THOSE ARE SCARF TASSELLS.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41860 on: February 20, 2016, 10:49:59 am »

Thought the trailer looked quite interesting. Shame the film didn't quite work quite as well. Massive Micky Ryan vibes though.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #41861 on: February 20, 2016, 12:17:35 pm »
The man from nowhere (2010)- Good stuff. Mixes well the action/crime element with sentiment and the whole child-leading actor interaction.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline AJ

• a.k.a. Billy Two-Threads. Property of RAWK – soon to be raffled - has as much chance of becoming a mod as David Moyes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41862 on: February 20, 2016, 01:34:52 pm »
Disappointed to hear that, I've got it scheduled in for my Wednesday night cinema trip next week. Hoping that you've just got bad/different taste!

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41863 on: February 21, 2016, 12:37:15 pm »
Didn't care much for 'Hail, Caesar' although I'm a big Coens-fan (think the one before HC, 'Inside Llewyn Davis', is one of their masterpieces). The film is basically a series of sketches, not much coherence to it. The characters are all caricatures, which would be fine, if we'd at least get to laugh at the jokes they'd written for them, but most of the humor feels either far fetched or for insiders. Still better than Intolerable Cruelty or The Ladykillers, because of Deakins' magic and the lovely sets, but only slightly so. Big let-down. 2/5.
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41864 on: February 21, 2016, 01:01:33 pm »
Disappointed to hear that, I've got it scheduled in for my Wednesday night cinema trip next week. Hoping that you've just got bad/different taste!

Interested to see what others think. Got a totally different film than I expected from the trailer though.

Offline Jules01

• Legacy Fan
  • Infamy,infamy,they've all got it in for me.
« Reply #41865 on: February 21, 2016, 05:39:17 pm »
'The boy' worth watching?see the BR version of it was upped a few days ago.Might well watch it in the next day or so.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41866 on: February 21, 2016, 06:24:53 pm »
'The boy' worth watching?see the BR version of it was upped a few days ago.Might well watch it in the next day or so.
There are two films of the sane name. It appears the uploader has used the wrong cover art.

It's the older version he/she/they have uploaded.

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41867 on: February 21, 2016, 06:32:42 pm »
Spotlight powerful and moving.
Hateful Eight long decent but nowt special. Panovision thing wasted given most of it shot indoors.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #41868 on: February 21, 2016, 06:34:28 pm »
There are two films of the sane name. It appears the uploader has used the wrong cover art.

It's the older version he/she/they have uploaded.
Got excited...didn't you. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41869 on: February 21, 2016, 07:38:55 pm »
Got excited...didn't you. ;D
I did a little dance ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41870 on: February 21, 2016, 10:09:08 pm »
Help. What am i watching?
Put "Gone girl "on through kodi and find my self watching a completely different film.
A guy has cancer.ross. goes on a road trip with a hooker carly aka Lamborghini andhis bro and fiance. Mostly seen through a third party camcorder. Tia
bollocks

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #41871 on: February 21, 2016, 10:14:31 pm »
Going to watch Man of Steel for the first time, not expecting much but should give me a bit of background knowledge for the upcoming Dawn of Justice. Superman is probably my least favourite superhero so going into this not knowing anything about him or his world apart from the obvious things.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41872 on: February 21, 2016, 10:37:55 pm »
Just watched The Intouchables. Brilliant film and funnier than 95% of comedies even though it was a biopic/drama.

Offline martinsquirtle

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41873 on: February 21, 2016, 11:44:21 pm »
Just watched Spotlight. Absolutely brilliant film, handled the sensitive and grim subject with respect, yet remained extremely engaging throughout. Highly recommended

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41874 on: February 22, 2016, 03:19:34 am »
Saw 45 Years yesterday.

Spoiler
As much as I wanted to love it, I didn't love it.

Before seeing the film, I liked the premise very much. As the film went on though, I found myself feeling like Kate was way overreacting to the whole business.

She could have been a lot more empathetic about Geoff's experience, and just let the sleeping dog lie, but instead chose to interpret it as somehow a denial of their 45 years of marriage. I found that difficult to swallow. In the end, it's clear that the husband was trying to move on from the experience, but she evidently was far from ready to do so. It annoyed me.
[close]

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #41875 on: February 22, 2016, 08:47:25 am »
Spotlight was really good indeed.

Watched Trumbo yesterday. Decent film, liked it more towards the end of it.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline JSteve

• Channelling Baldrick.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41876 on: February 22, 2016, 08:58:34 am »
Going to watch Man of Steel for the first time, not expecting much but should give me a bit of background knowledge for the upcoming Dawn of Justice. Superman is probably my least favourite superhero so going into this not knowing anything about him or his world apart from the obvious things.

You are a very brave man.

Offline Redcap

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41877 on: February 22, 2016, 09:53:09 am »
Saw Hail Caesar!

Probably one of my bottom 3 Coen Brothers films so far. I get the feeling they had a lot of fun making it, and a lot of people with a better knowledge of the golden age of Hollywood will enjoy the references as well, but it's nothing but a procession of references, one after another.

Offline Henry Chinaski

• Gay for Dirk, wants him naked.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41878 on: February 22, 2016, 10:15:41 am »
I get the feeling they had a lot of fun making it, and a lot of people with a better knowledge of the golden age of Hollywood will enjoy the references as well, but it's nothing but a procession of references, one after another.
I wholeheartedly agree!
"I look at life like a big book and sometimes you get half way through it and go 'Even though I've been enjoying it, I've had enough. Give us another book'"
~ Karl Pilkington

Offline 'Mondzz'

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #41879 on: February 22, 2016, 10:49:25 am »
Just watched The Intouchables. Brilliant film and funnier than 95% of comedies even though it was a biopic/drama.

Great film that, one of my favourites.