Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Fulham v Liverpool, 21st April 2024, 16:30  (Read 11128 times)

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
MATCH PREVIEW - Fulham v Liverpool, 21st April 2024, 16:30
« on: April 19, 2024, 09:48:33 am »
Fulham v Liverpool
21st April 2024, 16:30h
Craven Cottage

Referee: Craig Pawson
Assistants: Marc Perry, Wade Smith, Fourth official: Sam Allison
VAR: Tony Harrington, Assistant VAR: Richard West

Hope was the Atalanta game will deliver a response to the game against United.
Then the hope was the Palace game will bring that reply to the loss against Atalanta.
After that we hoped Atalanta game last night will be the reply to the loss against Palace.

It wasn't. None of them. Not in terms of results at least. Against Palace we played the best game - but were desperately unlucky not to score. Which seems to have further dented our confidence. There are some positives to pick from what looks like a desperate mess, but I think we can safely say now there will be no instant turnaround of form. Cavalry is back, but they rode for weeks and are in no state to fully join the charge just yet. The rest of the team looks appropriately tired and things are about to get harder. Lot harder.

We continue this week from hell with a trip to Craven Cottage. First in a quickfire series of three away PL games. Forget about United and Palace. This was always going to be the week to determine where we end up. If we were playing out of our skin and scoring for fun - this would still be the week where we could lose points, lot of them. The fact we aren't scoring at all makes it much harder, but really, it was always going to be hard. Weeks like these are all about building up steam. Find a way to win the first and you get that bit of confidence for the second, and so on. But it all starts with Fulham and it can all be over there too.

Safely in the middle of the table, Fulham are now mostly playing to impress the manager. They are very much in the 'on the beach' part of the season, only for us this beach will probably feel more like shores of Normandy in 1940's, than the soft sands of exotic islands. They are rested, unburdened by expectations or table pressure and will look to entertain the home crowd. Marco Silva has demonstrated this season that he is no mug. He will have a plan to both frustrate us and exploit our weaknesses. And yes, we have better players who should be able to match anything they do, but boy-oh-boy does that not count for much right now. Our biggest enemy at the moment is living in our heads. It's the burden of expectation not to let this slip, not to let Klopp's time fizzle out, not to lose it all in such ordinary way. We're playing all upcoming games at once every time we step out on to the pitch.

So for this game, if we could maybe just reduce the scope of our ambition, that would be nice. I don't want Liverpool to go out there and mount a rousing defence of Klopp's legacy, or look to right all the wrongs from previous games. Just play a simple game of football, play only for each other, look after your teammates, support them and try to have some fun. Leave the burden of expectation in the dressing room. It isn't going anywhere because you play for Liverpool. Yo might as well ignore it for now, take a rest from carrying it all the time.

It's just one game, against Fulham.
Play this game, minute by minute.
Be in it, not in it's aftermath. 

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: MATCH PREVIEW - Fulham v Liverpool, 21st April 2024, 16:30
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2024, 10:25:00 am »
Just put the ball in the onion bag in open play and I will take that as a small victory.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2024, 10:28:17 am »
They will try to adopt Atalanta tactics, worked for Palace, hopefully we will find an answer
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2024, 10:43:35 am »
If we win it'll be something along the lines of 1-0 or 2-1 where one or more of the goals is a penalty or a Fulham fuck up. I just can't see us rocking up there and putting in a great performance with lots of goals. It's going to be a real slog but hopefully we can somehow grind out a win.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2024, 10:46:52 am »
They are a good side at home as work hard.

Think there were shots of positivity last night so hopefully we turn up.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2024, 10:52:31 am »
If we win it'll be something along the lines of 1-0 or 2-1 where one or more of the goals is a penalty or a Fulham fuck up. I just can't see us rocking up there and putting in a great performance with lots of goals. It's going to be a real slog but hopefully we can somehow grind out a win.

Agree, and that is all we need to do.
We'll have to rebuild the form slowly, it's not just coming back.
Start by making each game better than the last.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2024, 11:27:51 am »
Last chance saloon, as is every game from now until the end of the season. There will be no more room for replies in the next game. Simply must win, however we do it.

Another early goal would settle the nerves for everyone, and might be crucial I feel.

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2024, 11:35:43 am »
Just put the ball in the onion bag in open play and I will take that as a small victory.
Preferably not after Fulham already have.

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2024, 12:24:40 pm »
Alisson
Trent   Quansah   VVD   Robertson
Endo   Mac Allister   Szoboszlai
Salah   Jota   Gakpo

Very possibly the day the title challenge/season comes to its end. I personally feel as if it was over last night sadly. The effort shown in the past week hasn't been fitting of Klopp's time here, hopefully we can make amends here and keep the last five somewhat interesting even though I see City dropping no points (again).
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2024, 12:25:36 pm »
Get in. Can’t wait.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2024, 12:39:49 pm »
Alisson
Trent   Quansah   VVD   Robertson
Endo   Mac Allister   Szoboszlai
Salah   Jota   Gakpo

Very possibly the day the title challenge/season comes to its end. I personally feel as if it was over last night sadly. The effort shown in the past week hasn't been fitting of Klopp's time here, hopefully we can make amends here and keep the last five somewhat interesting even though I see City dropping no points (again).

I reckon Gomez, Tsimikas and Quansah are all going to start.

Also think Mac is going to get a rest and be in the bench. That tackle by one of the Atalanta players on him towards the end of the game was horrible.

Up front, I defo think Gakpo, Jota and Nunez will start to bring some fresh legs. In summary, I see a lot of changes.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline skipper757

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2024, 02:13:47 pm »
Big test.  Craven Cottage is tricky and invokes memories of our title races in 08/09, 13/14, and 18/19 with late winners.  They challenged us immensely at Anfield.  Well-coached side.

If we can get all 3 points here, it bodes well for the run in.
King Kenny.

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2024, 04:32:32 pm »
Come on Redmen!!
Great op thanks Zlen. Not sure what to take from yesterday for this. They are in decent form. Our players are getting more rhythm. Hoping for a narrow win.
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2024, 06:28:25 pm »
this is the team i would pick

alison

trent virg quansah gomez

elliot endo sobo

diaz jota nunez

grav has to get game time as sub

macca needs a rest before the everton game

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2024, 06:32:53 pm »
Even PGMOL have give up on us. No Mancs.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Fruity

• Batty. Box clever. Can weather all lifts. May in fact be Robbie Rotten.
  • Legacy Fan
  • a fruit is not just for christmas...
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2024, 06:55:32 pm »
Like their left back. Only seen him when they play us but he seems pretty pacy/swift/fast. The sort of player we should be looking at as a back up to Robertson.

Regarding the game, hope we win. I think we will be fucked by the 60th minute though and they will be at it from the start. Same shit as before but we need to be clinical. Get a win and a boost of confidence.
alf a pound of braeburns!

Offline Wingman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2024, 07:09:51 pm »
We’ll win in the 88th minute when Nunez strikes a thunderbastard volley from a corner right into Joe Gomez’s arse which wrong foots the keeper. Everyone will laugh for days, the gloom will lift and we’ll win all our remaining games … and the league title

Offline ...

• Better than "Wall's Viennetta". Fact.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2024, 07:14:57 pm »
Like their left back. Only seen him when they play us but he seems pretty pacy/swift/fast. The sort of player we should be looking at as a back up to Robertson.

Regarding the game, hope we win. I think we will be fucked by the 60th minute though and they will be at it from the start. Same shit as before but we need to be clinical. Get a win and a boost of confidence.

?

Tsimikas isn't exactly slow.

Offline Oh Jimmy Jimmy

• Main Stander
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2024, 07:38:49 pm »
Big test.  Craven Cottage is tricky and invokes memories of our title races in 08/09, 13/14, and 18/19 with late winners.  They challenged us immensely at Anfield.  Well-coached side.

If we can get all 3 points here, it bodes well for the run in.

Loved that 09 game - Yossi’s winner and the moment when we really believed we would win the League. Not missed placed - United just won every game.

Also loved the October 04 2-4 game , the early days of Rafa and Xabi.  We were in the home end and my mate complained  it was like being at the Opera. He celebrated Alonso’s free kick and got a nuggy for his troubles. The disturbance lasted 30 seconds and we decided  that the culprit should leave. After the match, we went to that big pub at the end of the  park. .. Carra’s Dad was there and that was when “ Ring of Fire” first kicked off I believe.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2024, 09:05:47 pm by Oh Jimmy Jimmy »

Online UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2024, 07:54:57 pm »
Even PGMOL have give up on us. No Mancs.

But arguably one of the top 3 worst refs in the league.
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Offline CS111

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2024, 08:35:43 pm »
No Idea whats going to happen, could be anything. One thing we all know, a draw or loss and its over.

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2024, 11:05:15 pm »
The winning streak continues.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline G Richards

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2024, 11:09:39 pm »
It feels like must win to stay in the hunt for the title. Hopefully we see some sort of response, and a bit of tempo in how we pass it about, too.

You never say never, but if we win the next two, Man City will be playing catch up, albeit with games in hand, and it might add a little pressure.

First things first. Beat Fulham.

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2024, 11:23:36 pm »
Was at the cup game here. They had us on the rack for 10 in the second half and we were flying at the time. Early chances need to be put away or we will struggle.

Offline Asam

• has a mankini
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2024, 11:44:40 pm »

the leaders in this group have to show some personality, if we don’t win this game there is no chance of the title

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2024, 01:19:13 am »

It's something like 5hrs since we've scored a goal in open play.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2024, 01:39:30 am »
Think we win this and win this well.

High confidence of a victory.

3-1.

Offline latortuga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2024, 01:42:46 am »
They will try to adopt Atalanta tactics, worked for Palace, hopefully we will find an answer

They won't, why would they?

They are buzzing after their win away to West Ham, will see us as an opportunity to really go at us early given our poor run of form and that overconfidence will lead to open, free flowing football that will suit us down to the ground.  Nunez and Co to feast.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2024, 01:46:59 am by latortuga »

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2024, 03:35:05 am »

This would be a great start, our attack has failed to fire at the worst possible time.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2024, 07:59:23 am »
Cricket score

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2024, 08:19:11 am »
1-0 Fulham

Honestly can't wait for this season to fuck off now. Bring on the summer.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2024, 08:22:26 am »
Just fucking score a few goals. Don’t care if it’s penos and corners.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2024, 08:50:57 am »
Surely there is going to be a fair bit of rotation for this? Cant see Trent, Konate, Mac Allister starting this one.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2024, 08:56:21 am »
Konate can't play 4 games in 11 days and I think he is much more important for Everton and West Ham, so I would 100% rest him for this Fulham game and give Gomez a game at RCB. I'd be thinking of starting TAA and Robbo in all 3 games this week but for sure trying to get them off well before the 90. You could argue if we were going to rest Robbo at all, then Fulham is the best chance to do it.

In a similar vein, its difficult to imagine Macca (or anyone other than VVD to be honest) coping with 4 in 11, but actually I think the game against Everton is the one I'd rest him so for Fulham I would go Endo, Macca, Szoboslai. On Wed I'd go Endo, Szoboslai, Jones.

Up front is a mess but I'd probably go Salah, Gakpo, Nunez to change it up a bit. Maybe shifting Nunez out wide-left might give him a bit of a reset. Its not saying much but Gakpo has just about looked the best of our forwards in the last week so I think he deserves a chance centrally.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2024, 09:01:38 am »
Konate can't play 4 games in 11 days and I think he is much more important for Everton and West Ham, so I would 100% rest him for this Fulham game and give Gomez a game at RCB. I'd be thinking of starting TAA and Robbo in all 3 games this week but for sure trying to get them off well before the 90. You could argue if we were going to rest Robbo at all, then Fulham is the best chance to do it.

In a similar vein, its difficult to imagine Macca (or anyone other than VVD to be honest) coping with 4 in 11, but actually I think the game against Everton is the one I'd rest him so for Fulham I would go Endo, Macca, Szoboslai. On Wed I'd go Endo, Szoboslai, Jones.

Up front is a mess but I'd probably go Salah, Gakpo, Nunez to change it up a bit. Maybe shifting Nunez out wide-left might give him a bit of a reset. Its not saying much but Gakpo has just about looked the best of our forwards in the last week so I think he deserves a chance centrally.

I'd drop Salah and put the young lads in - we need a bit of youthful energy.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2024, 09:18:12 am »
Alisson

Trent Quansah Virg Robbo

Mac Endo Jones

Diaz Gakpo Darwin

1. The team doesn't really matter per say because confidence and momentum are even more important than availability. We eliminated the same Fulham team from the League cup semis with a weaker side.

2. Mo and Ibou can't play 3 games a week. For Mo, I think we managed his minutes better in tge first half of the season but in the business, he has to play more. Ibou is just too injury prone.

3. They are really physical in the middle of the park so I'd star Endo here.

4. We still have a chance of winning the league but the way we've been playing lately hasn't been good enough. The last game was a decent performance (European aways are very difficult and our record this season reflects that) and a clean sheet so we can take that into this one.

5. If we play well and win then it's on again. If we play crap again, for me it'd just be a case of securing CL qualification and playing the kids.

6. How does Szobo keep getting starts despite being in poor form? If a player isn't playing well then he should sit out a few and work his way back into the team. We were actually better when our star players were injured because team selections were at least based on merit.

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2024, 09:20:16 am »
I'd be shocked if Mac Allister starts after what Klopp said post match. Sounds like he needs a rest. Would guess it's Endo and 2 from Szoboszlai/Jones/Gravenberch to start

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2024, 09:23:17 am »
I'd be shocked if Mac Allister starts after what Klopp said post match. Sounds like he needs a rest. Would guess it's Endo and 2 from Szoboszlai/Jones/Gravenberch to start

Yep. Plus we have 3 away games this week, no chance he plays three.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2024, 09:26:40 am »
1-0 Fulham

Honestly can't wait for this season to fuck off now. Bring on the summer.

That’s the spirit.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2024, 09:28:23 am »
Missed that.

Cheers.