Author Topic: The Future is Bright, The Future is Benitez  (Read 9746 times)

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
The Future is Bright, The Future is Benitez
« on: August 17, 2004, 11:22:35 am »
Well, it didn't take long: Benitez is rubbish, the new era is worse than the last one. You read it here first. Oh no, actually you read it in the Daily Mirror first. If you ever needed a reminder of the distasteful nature of football fans' stupidity, then it was provided this week by Derek McGovern, purportedly a lifelong Liverpool supporter. Here's his first paragraph:

"Come back Gerard we didn't mean it honest. Liverpool were a disgrace last season under Gerard Houllier but on this evidence this season they promise to be an even bigger embarassment under Benitez. Owen's gone, Heskey's gone, Murphy's gone and who have we got in their place? Cisse who looks nothing like a footballer and on Saturday played nothing like one. Ok he scored, but Diouf scored twice on his debut and look how he turned out."

It is almost too easy to rip an argument like his to threads as it is less substantial than a wet tissue (and a cheap tissue at that - not your superior well-bonded brand); almost too easy to laugh off some moronic tosh written purely to be "outrageous" to sell newspapers (and there was me thinking people would prefer to read honest and insightful views on their team). But it gives Liverpool fans a bad name, and for that reason alone deserves contesting. In fact, it gives football fans in general a bad name. It is the apotheosis of "606" culture, where people whose attention spans' last barely long enough for one ultra jump-cutting MTV video, feel it is time to damn the new regime after its first league outing.

That is not to say that I was happy with the second half on Saturday; far from it. It was almost a carbon copy of the failings of last season. However, it was the first league game, for crying out loud, and Rafa's job is to rid the team - only one of whom he'd purchased - of their bad old habits, and that will take several games, maybe several months. How can you base any kind of concrete judgment on one poor half? Players were tiring in the heat. As one RAWKite put it with such perspicacity: "If the first half saw a glimpse of life under Rafa, with the team playing on instinct, then the second half represented a team playing from memory."

The substitutions could be called disappointing, but Cisse and Baros weren't involved in the second half, and fresh legs in a sapping game is never a stupid consideration. I think Rafa needs to understand (he may well do already!) that defending leads in England is possibly different to Spain, where teams lose heart a lot easier. All foreign coaches comment on how English teams, even at 2-0 down, never give up. You also can't play tactical chess in England, as teams - even ones like Spurs - revert to humping it into the box, and it becomes a free-for-all; a lottery, no less. In time, once the team is on Rafa's wavelength, we will be able to keep the ball to wear the opposition down; no one scores against you while you're in possession. He will also get us defending the higher line he wants for a full ninety minutes.

One broadsheet journalist poured scorn on the idea of Cisse and others being tired (you know the kind of thing, poor pampered over-paid stars, yada yada...). But it was a hot summer's day, and we'd had a trip to Europe a few days earlier. Players cannot start the season at optimum fitness; if they did, you'd have to start pre-season training in May (and even then, only matches provide match fitness; it goes without saying: you can't, by its very definition, be match fit the first league game of the season, especially as friendlies have none of the intensity and pressure of real matches). Then players would get no time off, they'd burn out mentally and physically. I was slightly concerned that we started our pre-season a week after Chelsea, especially as our first game was five days before theirs. I was also worried that we played just four first-team friendlies, which meant that with players mostly only playing one half each, each player effectively only played a measly two games. Spurs played ten. Maybe that's why they looked better in the second half. But within a couple of weeks, we should be at full-fitness, and as the season wears on, players will be grateful for the longer rest over the summer. 

It may be next summer before Rafa's stamp is fully imposed on the team. For me, securing the Alonso deal this week is crucial. Really crucial. Not because I rate him particularly highly - to be honest, I can't remember ever seeing him play, so I'm in no position to judge him on first-hand experience. (That hasn't stopped people judging Nunez, makeweight in the Owen deal, without having seen him; the fact that Rafa wanted him irrespective of the Owen deal tells you something, and even if it's only as a decent reserve and provide a little competition for places, who are we to grumble when we are light on right-sided players? I maintain that reserves at Real Madrid must have some talent - especially if they played a dozen first team games last season - unlike reserves at other less-impressive clubs, for example).

The Alonso deal is crucial because far better judges of a player than me - Rafa Benitez, Alex Ferguson (is it illegal to omit the "Sir"?), and the Real Madrid Sporting Directors - rate him highly, and most crucial on that list is the name of our manager. Alonso seems a must-have player to me, having heard what others "in the know" think about him. In Spain he is seen as a top all-round midfielder, with great passing ability. Believe me, a great passer in the superior - technically-speaking - La Liga is a genius passer in England. He seems fairly robust, and if he can prove to be more Vieira than Cheyrou, he will succeed in style. Alex Ferguson (I've omitted the "Sir" again, is that treason?) rated him as the best young midfielder in Europe a year ago (possibly along with Steven Gerrard, given his admiration of our captain). Pair the two of them together - Gerrard and Alonso that is, not Gerrard and Ferguson - and you have possibly the best central pairing in world football. I don't think it is a case of hyperbole to suggest as much. It's a mouth-watering prospect, and it will also evolve the team into something closer to what Rafa desires.

For those still outraged by the fee for Owen, I found it interesting to read that Manchester United were apparently quoted £25m for Alonso last summer. Hmmm, a £25m player going for £10m? Sound familiar? The thing with football transfers is that it's a case of swings and roundabouts. We lost McManaman for free, and within a year procured Gary Mac - who was instrumental in more trophy wins for Liverpool than the earlier "Macca" - on a Bosman. We paid £11m for Heskey, and yet £3.2m got us Baros, the Golden Boot winner at Euro 2004. We paid £14m for Cisse - top scorer in France in recent seasons - while Chelsea paid £24m for Drogba, scorer of seven less goals in the French league last time out, and with only one season in top flight football behind him despite being four years older at 26. Josemi cost one-fifth of Chelsea's new right back. It's not the money you pay for players, or the money you receive for them. It's the quality of your team. That is the only thing that matters.

In 2001, Harry Kewell was being courted by Roma, and Leeds were quoting £30m. We got him for £3m-5m. On the evidence of Saturday's game, where he did especially well considering he had three men marking him whenever he got the ball, Harry - looking fit, sharp and quick - will prove to be a snip. Once he - like Cisse, Gerrard and Baros - gets full match-fitness, then we could see an amazingly exciting attacking side to our game this season. If he stays fit, unlike last year, Kewell will prove all doubters wrong.

Benitez can spot a player. We've seen that with Josemi, his first purchase - not one to whet the appetite at first mention of his name (Josemi who?), until Reds saw him play, and then understood that he was on the verge of the Spanish squad. Much like Hyypia (Sami who?), the player GH bought for the exact same fee five years ago. The point of transfer fees can be illuminated by our current back four - Josemi, Carra, Hyypia and Riise - costing less than £10m, so therefore roughly the price of Rio Ferdinand's three remaining brain cells.

What the sale of Murphy and the purchase of Josemi tells me is that Benitez is going down the Arsene Wenger route. Every single Arsenal player - first team and reserve - appears to be good on the ball but, crucially, also extremely quick. Even Denis Bergkamp in his dotage can keep up with Henry and Reyes and Ljungberg and Pires and Vieira and Cole.

With regards the "Benitez Player", it was interesting to see the promising and talented - but slow - John Welsh left out of our European squad last week, while Warnock and Potter travelled. Warnock is also an example for those who demand the inclusion of any youth team graduate, even if they've never seen them play. Warnock is 22 now, and has approaching 100 first team games in the First Division under his belt. He has learned his trade under more pressure than Liverpool reserves, and shown his worth. If Welsh is to progress, he needs to prove himself and garner experience at another club first.

My admiration for Arsenal's football grows by the season; if we can get close to matching them, we will be a bloody good side. But Wenger has had eight years to get that club to that level. Benitez has had eight weeks - still, sack the bugger, he's a failure, eh? Unbeaten in two away games, the latter at a ground where a draw is an improvement on five of the last six seasons, and with safe passage to the CL group stage virtually secured - and the natives (of the asylum) are restless. Mr McGovern may be a very nice bloke - I've no idea. It's just a shame that he's been put up as a spokesman for our club by a national newspaper, when 99% of us wouldn't want such a mouthpiece.

The most amusing part of McGovern's piece was his comment about Cisse. Apparently he doesn't look like a footballer. How so? Because he's black with a funny beard? (Maybe he's thinking of Abel Xavier?). Personally, I'd like all Liverpool players to have Cisse's physical attributes: tall, quick and with the perfectly-honed physique that will protect him from a buffeting. Maybe McGovern thinks Neil "booze and pies" Ruddock looks like a footballer? I beg to differ. Cisse doesn't play like one either, apparently.

The comparison with Diouf is laughable. Not only did Diouf fail to score on his debut (at Villa, get your facts right), I'm not sure he scored a single league goal away from Anfield (well, there were only three in total!). In five years in France, Diouf scored 20 goals. Cisse scored 70 goals from 100-odd games in the same league. Plenty of other Reds scored on their debuts: Owen and Fowler leap instantly to mind. Oh, and both of their goals, like Cisse's, were in away games. Yes, it's too early to say for certain that Cisse will prove to be as good as we expect; however, it's far more ludicrous to say he didn't play like a footballer after a promising debut in which he scored.

Cisse's goal backed up what I've been saying about him all summer - that irrespective of his blinding pace outside the area, he is a penalty box poacher. His goal was as good as you will see in terms of split-second reaction, and that's about being quick "upstairs". The ball was headed at pace towards him, but slightly behind him. In an instant he hooked his foot around the ball - a difficult skill - and steered it with delicious precision into the corner. I cannot think Robbie Fowler in his extravagant pomp could have reacted any better. Once Cisse gets his match fitness, he will tear past defenders in a flash, so you won't see the over-running of the ball for much longer. Some of his lay-offs to teammates were top notch, and I honestly believe he can eclipse what Michael Owen did for the Reds, as he is as good a finisher, but a better all-round player (as I've said before, quicker, stronger, taller, with a better first touch). I just hope he can shine in the high-pressure games in the way Owen did, as that was always Owen's crowning glory. Then again, Cisse has already single-handedly won a cup final in France for Auxerre with two beautifully-taken goals. The signs are good.

The second-most amusing part of McGovern's piece was his dismissal of Josemi - who looks an outstanding purchase (quick, strong, good on the ball) - as he is merely a right back. "Josemi did well but right backs don't win you trophies." An interesting statement. I've checked through all the record books going back to the mid-1800s, and I cannot find an example of a team who won anything without a right back. Presumably McGovern would rather a poor right back than a good one?

It was good to see Gerard Houllier - who spent two years trying to sign Cisse - present for the start of the new era, given that he bequeathed a handful of absolute top-notch players to Benitez (Rafa apparently told Rick Parry he couldn't believe how much talent he had at his disposal). It was also nice to see a big banner thanking Gerard in his native tongue. I feel proud to be a Liverpool fan when I see things like that. It's a touch of class. It was the time to say goodbye - we all know that - but for the most part Liverpool fans have showed humility and respect towards the man.

And then McGovern springs into mind: "And under Benitez the Reds are right back where they are started," and the shame returns.

I'd like to end with the enduring images of the first halves of Rafa's first two games - before we tired - when we controlled the games, passed and moved, created clear-cut chances with good football, and looked like a team reborn. Back where we started? To me, it was a sign that - in a few months' time - we could be back to close to our best.

© Paul Tomkins 2004
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 01:57:33 am by Rushian »

Offline Rozzer

• Anny Roader
  • There is a light, that never goes out
Re: The Future is Bright, The Future is Benitez
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2004, 11:43:41 am »
a inspiring article mate...In fact it`s bloody brilliant...
SOS Member

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2004, 12:03:43 pm »

Too right mate. Good read - The only problem I have is that journos like this joker don't deserve such eloquent critiques of their trash; as you pointed out, the whole thing was probably written in order to be controversial, or (as suggested on another thread) as a wind-up, which this guy apparently regularly does.

If that's the case, I would say this: IF you are a true Liverpool supporter (as this guy claims to be) you don't use the National press to slate your team even if it is a wind up, especially at such an early stage of the season. And todo it in such a childish way doesn't help your cause, as it makes you sound like a liability.

Sorry to focus on what a clown this guy has been, but let me repeat well done for a great response to the type of fan we can do without. Cheers Paul.

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2004, 12:09:34 pm »
Cheers.

I wouldn't normally waste time on people like that, but I just felt it deserved to be highlighted as something "true" fans don't want to see. Also, as the first league game of the new season under new management, we have reached the nadir in 606 idiocy with that piece. Sometimes it's better to ignore things; other times it doesn't hurt to act. People like McGovern have a bigger "platform" than someone such as myself, and I wanted to do my bit in riposte. If enough idiots believe the crap he wrote, then you get to a "Benitez Out" stage far earlier (after Man City?!!) than if people act responsibly and are patient.

Offline Rusty

• loser mate whose french is a little.....Rusty.....n'est-ce pas?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
Cheers.

If enough idiots believe the crap he wrote, then you get to a "Benitez Out" stage far earlier (after Man City?!!) than if people act responsibly and are patient.

That's part of the worry isn't it, that so-called fans don't have the brains to watch a match, think about it for themselves and come to a non-sensationalist outcome, instead preferring to go along with the hype and then take it upon themselves to shout their mouths off as if they are the only authority on footy.

One of the reasons I feel proud is that IMHO, our fans are by-and-large the best and most knowledgeable, and least kneejerk of any. Unfortunately Sky's transformation of the game into a superstar-driven cash cow (from it's origins as the beautiful game) have bred a new generation of fan who don't give a shit about the finer poitns of the game and also like to stick their oar in a lot.

Sorry, rant over.  ;D

He's made Kaizer wet himself with excitement then cry when he realises all in one post. Ban him? Knight him in the new year's honours!

Offline adamski

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2004, 12:20:18 pm »
top stuff

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2004, 12:27:18 pm »

One of the reasons I feel proud is that IMHO, our fans are by-and-large the best and most knowledgeable, and least kneejerk of any. Unfortunately Sky's transformation of the game into a superstar-driven cash cow (from it's origins as the beautiful game) have bred a new generation of fan who don't give a shit about the finer poitns of the game and also like to stick their oar in a lot.

Personally, I blame the internet...

;D

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2004, 12:29:36 pm »
Great article Paul.  :D I was taken aback by some of the over-the-top criticism of our performance on Saturday. Some of the articles were dismissing Benitez already, which is ridiculous: Some points about our draw at Tottenham:

1. We drew away! We didn't lose. A perfectly respectable opening day result.

2. It will take Rafa time to de-programme our players' tendancy to get nervous, play too deep and hit long balls when we go ahead.

3. We passed the ball and kept possession in the first half in a way that we rarely did under Ged. Promising.

4. Josemi looks a quality buy. He reminds me of players like Lauren and Dennis Irwin - good, tough, solid defenders. Not thrilling buys, but they are a crucial part of championship winning teams.

5. Rafa was right to sub Cisse. Djibril showed his huge potential with that instinctive finish for the goal, but he was understandably struggling to adapt to the pace of the Premiership (he will get there soon enough) and looked tired just before Rafa substituted him.

6. Kewell and Riise are short on confidence after last year under Houllier but there were signs on Saturday that they are starting to get it together. Give them time and I think they will really shine under Rafa.

7. Xabi Alonso, provided he signs, should help StevieG run the game from midfield. Didi is reliable, but he's one-paced and not dynamic enough.

8. Rafa will soon have a natural right-sided midfielder in the team rather than Finnan, who gave it his best shot against Spurs but is a stop-gap solution.

9. The goal was disappointing but Carragher-Hyypia looks like it could develop into a strong central defensive partnership.

10. Rafa sounded after the game like a man who is under no illusions about the task ahead and has firm ideas about how to transform the team. He has already made a promising start.

Bring on Man City!

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2004, 12:38:45 pm »
Once again Paul  :wellin
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 12:42:52 pm »
9. The goal was disappointing but Carragher-Hyypia looks like it could develop into a strong central defensive partnership.

Cheers, guys.

As for Carra, I forgot to mention how well he used the ball - I don't think he gave it away, and looks a decent passer in the centre of the pitch where he's not expected to bomb forward. Still worry about the lack of pace of those two as a pairing, but more than prepared to see Rafa give them a go.

Offline Yasar

• Phantom Desk Shitter
  • Kopite
  • Doug Stanhope appreciation society
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 12:49:55 pm »
I love all your articles Paul. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone with more insightfullness into our mighty Red Machine.

I'd like to ask however what you think of Baros? For me, he runs into far many blind alleys, yes he bagged the golden boot at the European Championships, but he looks so much less confident here on British shores. He appears to be missing a spark. Is he just tired?
They proved that if you quit smoking, it will prolong your life. What they haven't proved is that a prolonged life is a good thing. I haven't seen the stats on that yet.
-Bill Hicks

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2004, 12:56:35 pm »
I love all your articles Paul. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone with more insightfullness into our mighty Red Machine.

I'd like to ask however what you think of Baros? For me, he runs into far many blind alleys, yes he bagged the golden boot at the European Championships, but he looks so much less confident here on British shores. He appears to be missing a spark. Is he just tired?

Cheers. But you've clearly never read Mr McGovern. He writes for the Mirror, check him out...  ;)

Baros is an enigma, but stick with him. He needs to find his feet in this league. He has yet to have a consistent run for us, and strikers thrive on being "trusted" by their managers. He did well in 2002/03, getting 12 from 25 starts, but was often dropped after scoring. He is less "head down" for the Czechs, but for all his faults, he's proved a quality player for them time and time again. 21 goals in 29 games for his country tells you that.

Offline Red Lozza

• Legacy Fan
  • Miracle worker
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:49 pm »
Still worry about the lack of pace of those two as a pairing, but more than prepared to see Rafa give them a go.

Yeah, I know what you mean. At times, Defoe's pace did leave Sami and Carra a bit stretched. I sometimes wonder whether we'd be better off with a pacy defender like Gallas alongside Sami. But I don't mind seeing Sami and Carra try to develop their partnership.

I am undecided on whether a central defensive partnership needs at least one pacy player. I remember Alan Hansen once saying that neither he nor Lawro had much pace, but they read the game so well that it didn't matter.

If Rafa does decided that we need a pacy centre-back, will he look at what we already have? Is Zak Whitbread pacy? I've not really seen him play. And there's always Djimi Traore: a player who, once fit again, could thrive under Rafa but is equally likely to be on his way before the end of September.

Offline Wombat

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2004, 02:07:20 pm »
Enjoyed the read Paul,quality stuff from a true supporter.Agree about Milan,he needs 10 or 12 games on the bounce to prove his worth,as would any striker.Not entirely convinced with Carra at CB,and expect Rafa to sign another Centre Half soon.

Offline Bossmann

• Anny Roader
  • Fans favourite
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2004, 02:54:03 pm »
A pleasure as always, Paul.

As for Carra, I can se him being the "understudy" of Hyypia for a few seasons time. With Hyypias often silent lead-by-example style and Carras more ferocius leadership I think Carra will develop very well alongside Hyypia and when the time comes for Hyypia to step back we will have a relativly young die-hard red leader with very sound defensive qualities to ensure the stability of our back-four.

Perhaps it´s wishful thinking, but IMO Carra might very well step up and really become our defensive guarantee if he is given the time and trust.

Offline Drobs

• dnegeL
  • Legacy Fan
  • Someday, everything is gonna be different...
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2004, 02:54:37 pm »
I often read your posts Paul but never felt the need to comment directly. This one however i think deserves a special nod. A great read indeed.

I think after reading through countless offerings of yours the best way to sum you up is to say - you say everything that so many try to, and what so many think or believe - all in one place.

I know you didnt want to give the guy recognition but you wouldnt be far short of a smashing answer if you sent that in as a direct reply. The real fans view.

Brilliant stuff mate keep doing what your doing.
**After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music **

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2004, 03:05:55 pm »
Cheers, lads. Appreciate the, um, appreciation!  :)

And yes, I tend to say it all in one place! - often leading to comments about the length of the articles (some in jest, some critical). I try not to have too much waffle, and get to the heart of the issues, so hopefully it's in-depth rather than overly long.

As for Carra, he'll learn well from Sami, who is a master at reading the game. A quicker centre back alongside either of them - such as Gallas (not that he's available) - could be interesting, but this is a season in which Rafa will be identifying strengths and weaknesses. He won't be able to tell for sure until the real games begin, as they have this week.

Offline KJR71

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a red and white Kop...
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2004, 03:23:40 pm »
 :wellin

Excellent post.  Having just decided to give up completely on the official forum where some "fans" are slating Rafael for wearing a blue tie or for buying a player they've never even seen play, it's nice to see an intelligent article which hopefully gives me back the belief that Liverpool fans are the most knowledgable in the game.

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
  • ALWAYS A RED ALWAYS AN ANTI-RACIST
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2004, 03:33:04 pm »
Cheers, lads. Appreciate the, um, appreciation!  :)

And yes, I tend to say it all in one place! - often leading to comments about the length of the articles (some in jest, some critical). I try not to have too much waffle, and get to the heart of the issues, so hopefully it's in-depth rather than overly long.

As for Carra, he'll learn well from Sami, who is a master at reading the game. A quicker centre back alongside either of them - such as Gallas (not that he's available) - could be interesting, but this is a season in which Rafa will be identifying strengths and weaknesses. He won't be able to tell for sure until the real games begin, as they have this week.
[/quote

Nice article. Relatively new to the site myself. Good to hear balanced and mature views. The Mirror article is a bit of a straw man though. I'm surprised so many fans have taken the time to rubbish it. Not really worthy even of our disgust.
I think Carra could be a real success at c.b. We all know his qualities at r.b but also his limitations there. He can use the ball more effectively for the team from c.b. and I can see him being a danger at set plays. Don't think he's particularly slow either although Henry embarrased him a while ago. Also think he's a leader and a winner and therefore will have a greater influence in the middle of things. In any case, I love the guys attitude and commitment. He'll do for me. :)

Offline Woodbury

• Where's my toque eh?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2004, 03:59:40 pm »
So refreshing to read your articles.   :wave

Blame Canada!

Offline kemlyn1974

• Anny Roader
  • ALWAYS A RED ALWAYS AN ANTI-RACIST
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2004, 04:12:22 pm »
As new don't know how I managed to run my reply in with quote.
Anywqy as many are saying - nice article :wave

Offline Fanxxxxtastic

• Will be very sadly missed on RAWK and elsewhere.
  • RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm a proud cyber terrorist!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2004, 04:26:47 pm »
Superbly written piece Paul.  A piece written in almost a calming manner, if you get what I mean.  It's not been written in a kneejerk way.  Unlike McGovern's.  BTW, always loved reading your articles before your enforced absence, and it's now great to see you back :)

You've taken the time to sit and rightfully assess what you've seen over the past two games, and drawn on the positives from them, and I must say, the game against Graz, along with the first half at WHL have given me far more reasons for optimism than pesimism.

We've got a whole new partnership up front, that will take time to get to know each other.  We're introducing new players to the team in the next few days.  These will have to be shown some kind of respect from fans, and hacks, as they too need time to get to know each other, and how they play.

As fans, we'd all love to see things running well, and obtain immediate success, but every revolution requires good planning and preparation.  Rafa's only been with us a short time, and is just about to get his revolution on the move.  I've got every faith in him, and I'm made up that we've got him as our new boss.  I feel he will do the right thing by the club, and for the fans.  He just needs a little time.
http://twitter.com/Fanxxxxtastic

"A big heart has space for everyone" - Rafa Benitez

Smash the cull!  Smash the BNP!

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2004, 05:11:09 pm »
With reference, Paul, to the English tradition of the losing side humping the ball in the opponent's box towards the end of the game,  I wonder whether Rafa can hone the players into the quality sides we see on the continent where the defensive players, simply control the ball, say thank you very much, look up to find their mates, pass it out, and launch another attack (or play possession).  Do you reckon we could do that?  I guess controlling the ball in the box might be a bit iffy, but, maybe a 'controlled' or 'guided' clearance to a teammate is possible?

Cheers. (and PS, what is the point in reading tabloids lads? England is known for its better quality papers)

Offline SJL

• Kopite
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2004, 05:17:28 pm »
Another fantastic read  :wave

Offline SeanPenn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2004, 05:23:50 pm »
Thanks Paul for a  classy piece of read! You deserve to be read by a far larger audience than our humble souls.
-"Matthias, Son of Deuteronomy of Gath"
-"Should I say yes?"
-"Yes"
-"Yes"

Offline janmolbyslovechild

• Anny Roader
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2004, 06:42:13 pm »
With reference, Paul, to the English tradition of the losing side humping the ball in the opponent's box towards the end of the game,  I wonder whether Rafa can hone the players into the quality sides we see on the continent where the defensive players, simply control the ball, say thank you very much, look up to find their mates, pass it out, and launch another attack (or play possession).  Do you reckon we could do that?  I guess controlling the ball in the box might be a bit iffy, but, maybe a 'controlled' or 'guided' clearance to a teammate is possible?

i think you might have a point already. was i the only one who noticed how many times dudek found our players from clearances after pass backs. it happened enough times for me to predict it, mostly finding kewell
Great days have gone, more will come!!!

Joe Traynor

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2004, 08:20:56 pm »
Well said Paul,
But just to mention that the Mirrag recently appointed a new editor, and I'm wondering did he put pressure on McGovern to stir up mischief. That rag has a pro Glam agenda. Still,if that was the case, McGovern should have told him to p**s off,as I'm sure Readey would have done. Viva Rafa's Reds.YNWA 

LFC Gan

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2004, 08:44:35 pm »
Dear Paul,

I agree with the large number of post commenting on the quality of your read, however, I do think that there were some oversights in relating an objective view of our first Premier League game.

Firstly I do not hold that tiredness due to lack of pre-season games was a factor. I am prepared to concede that the earlier start time can lend it some lathergic legs but not to the extent that it should impair a Liverpool FC performance. These players are paid to play and once they put on the Liverpool FC shirt, they are expected to pour sweat simply if only in defending the decision this club has made in letting them grace that shirt.

The only players I feel were prepared to play for their pay in that second half were Josemi and Carragher and Baros, even Steven was below par and Hamman was anonymous for the latter of the game.

Secondly you decline to comment on the quality of the Spurs team and the fact that they had 6 premiership debutants, this was the ideal opportunity to test their metal and force home a result through sheer desire but I was saddened at the lack of committment made by the Liverpool contingent clearly still reeling form the exit of Michael Owen. There was not a single player on that spurs team that would have made into the Liverpool side, not even Defoe, yet they bullied us into retreating into our own half and conceding one of the worst goals we will concede this season and I am sorry but, re-analyse it in slow motion and you will understand what I mean. I am never one to begrudge a quality goal (such as the EFC goal against Arsenal) but the goal we conceded had me sleepless all night. It is imperative that we make teams show quality moves and skillful prowess if they are to score against us.

Also I would like to point out that as a new manager arriving to Liverpool I would have appreciated Rafa putting his foot down and giving Owen the pay he demanded. For in my heart I am of the opinion that had Owen been available for the game against the Spurs then we would have had more clear cut opportunities and hopefully a deserved three points. The major facet of Michael Owen which is often overlooked is his intelligence, point in case being the numerous times in midfield when our attacks petered out because there were no runs forthcoming from the front two. There is no use in having a passing genius in midfield if there is no forward making the runs. (Though on this point I feel there will be improvement from the front two). Steven was left floundering having to pass wide for build up play because the forward runs were rare and often telegraphed.

Regardless of the musings above I will reiterate the message of you email - The Future is Bright, The Future is Benetiz but not necessarily the Short Term Future - which to me looks deciedly Grey.  I only hope that the intelligent quality of our fans will show itself when we go through some dark patches this season, I am afraid that a fourth place is the best we can hope for this season.

I think that the arrival of alonso will pave the way for exits for Gerrard and Hamman - you may think that I am mad, but more football is crazier then I ever will be. Another trophyless season for Hamman and Gerrard will mean both will find pastures new. Gerrard will move either to Madrid or the Arsenal, if Viera shidt to the bernabau and Hamman will return to his native Deutschland, with a January move to Munoch still not ruled out. Alonso will not be able to carry the weight in midfield especially in the premieship if either of these two go, look to transfer raids on Valencia, who will falter under Claudio, if Gerrard and Hamman leave. Though I would not mind the opurchase of Nedved and Rosicky myself.

In Nunez arriving as the make-weight in the Owen deal, you should know he was scouted by Benetiz when he was youth coach at Real Madrid and is a very exciting acquistion and will be pleasant surprise this season. Many people at Real Madrid though him to be the natural successor to Figo at Madrid, but Figo's evergreen nature has meant his opportunities have been restricted. Also with the arrival of the 22yr old Juan Fran on the right wing he is no longer the new bright thing and surplus to requirements. I hope Nunez finds his feet here at anfield and will be a major signing.

If Liverpool really want to make themselves a name and a force in Europe then I suggest the following that by whatever means necessary the finance the purchase of Wayne Rooney for 25 million with the carrot of loaning him out to EFC for the first season, it is the only way we could secure his signature. Hope that gets you talking.....................

Offline Joe C

• Kopite
  • use your head hicks
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2004, 09:37:45 pm »
A beautiful retort. Your dead on about this 6-0-6 inspired culture of complacency, laziness and general misplaced fucking arrogance. I would hesitate to call anybody writing that kind of sneering, self important article a fan
RTK

Bruce

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2004, 10:10:35 pm »
Agreed!!!! Well said!!!

woof

« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2004, 01:07:28 am »
The game is changing. And so are the coaches, players, team culture and attitude of the masses of supporters. I'm in my early 30's and was privileged to catch the great Liverpool teams of the late 70's and 80's on TV (you can tell I'm an Aussie red, can't you?). Then, we had the best British players. The comment that Danny Murphy made about losing the camaraderie in the team stung me quite a lot. I have played in team sports all my life and I know the value of camaraderie. It's that extra 10% that could take the team across the line. If you looked at the Liverpool teams of the 70's and 80's, we had that and it showed when the guys are on-field. They understood each other well or what others may term as 'telepathic understanding'. That's no coincidence. The same way SG has that understanding with MO. You look at the Mancs and they had a good core of players which stuck together. The same goes for Arsenal.

What I'm getting at is that without MO, it is highly unlikely we'll achieve any short term success, i.e., winning trophies. The game has also changed where the best UK players are now looking to ply their trade abroad and receive recognition there as well. Is this good or bad for the game, I don't know. Arsenal changed that when they brought in a number of French players. I guess I don't mind where the players come from as long as they achieve success and stay in the club for a length of time so that supporters like us will feel that the tradition is still intact.

Offline 1974 red

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2004, 01:40:37 am »
Just on the basis of the ONE match played so far, I would say that 2nd place is within our reach this season. Not particularly impressed with what I saw in the Chelsea-Mancs game. Chelsea has many big bame stars but they do not play well as a team (so far, tho this may get better over time but not necessarily so, read Real Madrid). As for the Mancs, I dare say they will not feature in next year's CL. Their team sheet, even when Ronaldo is back, does not invoke fear or respect in me any longer. In fact, those of Middlesbrough and Newcastle look more formidable!

Arsenal, on the other hand, is playing on a different planet. They seem to be able to step up their gear and score at will whenever they should need to. Their players are good, but more importantly, they gel ever so well, unlike Real Madrid last year who eventually lost La Liga to Valencia who, despite having practically no big name players, gelled much better as a team. Even a new young player like Fabregas could fit into the Arsenal machinery very comfortably and effectively. Very impressed by him. Why was ALT never able to do that for us?

Offline MightyReds

• Legacy Fan
  • You'll Never Walk Alone
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2004, 04:45:18 am »

I'd like to end with the enduring images of the first halves of Rafa's first two games - before we tired - when we controlled the games, passed and moved, created clear-cut chances with good football, and looked like a team reborn. Back where we started? To me, it was a sign that - in a few months' time - we could be back to close to our best.

© Paul Tomkins 2004

Cracking post. Always make it a point to read what you have put up.  Particular like the last paragraph, it strikes a chord in my heart string. Feel so proud to be a REDS.
"In my time at Anfield we always said we have the best two teams on Merseyside, Liverpool and Liverpool reserves" - Bill Shankly

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2004, 11:01:10 am »
Some much-appreciated comments there - cheers  :)

As for further comments about Spurs, there was much I've said on the site that I didn't want to put into the article, as it wasn't really a Spurs "review". As I said, there were worrying signs, and I did think that Spurs side were there for the taking, but it's the first game, and it would be wrong to read too much into it.

One thing Spurs had that we didn't was a strikeforce with a good understanding, going back to their West Ham days. Kanoute, at 6ft 5, won the flick on and Defoe knew exactly where to run.

Offline tony mccrorie

• Boys Pen
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2004, 01:33:18 pm »
Look, Tomkins - you are starting to upset me.  With an annoying regularity you express what I want to say, but in a better way.  And you've done it again, you b*st*rd.  It's a really good article.

Offline Paul Tomkins

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2004, 03:46:52 pm »
Look, Tomkins - you are starting to upset me.  With an annoying regularity you express what I want to say, but in a better way.  And you've done it again, you b*st*rd.  It's a really good article.

;D

Offline SkyBlueRed

• Binley Boot Boy
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sleeping giant awakens...
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2004, 10:40:13 pm »
A nice, positive spin on things that must be going through all our heads at the moment, I for one am encouraged greatly by Rafas start, think hes really got his head screwed on and from the looks of things (Josemi and the players he purhcased at Valencia) he has an eye for a good cheap buy. Decent result vs Spurs but more importantly at this moment in time is the fact that, we WERE better than them. First half showed some sublime stuff and I cant wait til thats what we'll be yielding both halves of every game and I have no doubt Rafa is the man to do it.
Im not arrogant, im just better than you.

Julian Dicks has been everywhere ... it's like West Ham have got eleven Dicks out there.
-- Anonymous (Metro city radio)

syd-red

« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2004, 10:08:45 pm »
"If Liverpool really want to make themselves a name and a force in Europe then I suggest the following that by whatever means necessary the finance the purchase of Wayne Rooney for 25 million with the carrot of loaning him out to EFC for the first season, it is the only way we could secure his signature. Hope that gets you talking....................."

McGovern.... is that you??? :puke