Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW - Atalanta v Liverpool - Europa League, Thurs 18 April @ 8pm  (Read 15709 times)

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
3-0 up from the away leg against a team that is better than you probably isn't the easiest position to be in. Its almost too good, play the same way again and we'll create plenty and only takes an early goal to have some shitting it a little bit. Could easily see us doing this, we've come back from worse against far better.

Offline Kloppage Time

• Anny Roader
  • ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯
Turn this around and it could turn our season around, so go for it!
Those saying play the kids or to not go strong are deluded
Anyone can have a good day, but you have to be able to perform on a bad day.

Jurgen Klopp

Offline DonkeyWan

• ker. Football Genius, Generously gives Young Jürgen pointers to help him improve.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I never met a man who wasn't...
Honestly, the team feels like a right bunch of windy fuckers at the minute. Mentality midgets. Go for everything with a snarl, I say.
Beatings will continue until morale improves...

Offline MH41

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
On another day, we could have beaten Palace 6-3 on Sunday, despite being poor.

Lots of opportunities (Endo crossbar, saves without knowing from Diaz and Nuñez,,) the jones, Salah, Jota miss.

One match this will all come together.

The one thing we absolutely do not want is to go out after Extra time or pens.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
We can do it, but I'm not sure if we will do it.

Start Jota, Gakpo, Elliot and Trent.

Blitz them in the first 20 minutes and see what happens.

When’s the last time we Blitz a team?

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
There's nothing to lose!! Fuck playing the second string, resting players in the European game!!

Why don't we just go for it, win this game. Go for the throat straight from the off and let's show to the world who have a bigger penis.

We can do this, lads... We still can do this. :champ :champ
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Saus76

• Complete and utter embarrassment
  • Anny Roader
Turn this around and it could turn our season around, so go for it!
Those saying play the kids or to not go strong are deluded

Spot on. Playing the kids reeks of Rodger’s meek surrender against Madrid. Turn this around and it will galvanise the lads. As strong as possible please.

Online amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
We wouldn't play a weakened team if we were 3-0 up, let alone losing 3-0.

If we somehow overturn this it will be one those memorable European nights, except it's not at Anfield. Jurgen doesn't deserve his last European night at home to be that awful game last week so really hope we can do it. And as well as Atlanta played, they aren't actually a great side. They just caught us completely off guard and we inexplicably couldn't work it out. There should be no surprises this time and it's on the players to make things right after the last two results.

Just fucking go for it.

Offline Bobsackamano

• Legacy Fan
Go full steam. What kind of fucking lemon gives up just because you're 3-0 down and you've still got a full game to play.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
Pretty unstressed now.

Really wanted it to be a special one for Klopp as his last season, but the crowd can't be arsed and the players are knackered.

We've done really well to get to where we are even now with all the injuries and stuff going on. Wasn't really enjoying the season with the crap from PGMOL and the 115s ruining football.

If we even get a 1-0 tonight, that would be great. Progressing would be amazing, but unlikely.

Hoping that the end of the season is just a bit of a kick around now and next season we're comfortably mid table so I don't need to stress about stuff. Be nice if the season after we can have a bit of a crack at challenging for something, but I'm feeling pretty relaxed at the moment :)
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online cissesbeard

• Kopite
can't wait for this now, think we can do it! (based on nothing whatsoever apart from the fact i want that trophy for klopp)

Offline Sinyoro

• Give the ball to Bobby and he will scyoro
  • Legacy Fan
There has to be a starting position for Cody, I like the fire in him right now.

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

If we even get a 1-0 tonight, that would be great.

It really would as we'd have an entire game tomorrow and only need 2 goals then.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline bird_lfc

• Would much rather have a good wank than get behind the team. Champion of Luke Shaw’s reputation.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
The 5-0 back in 2000 is giving me hope. You never know hey

Just want to see the lads put up a fight at least

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
I want to see Salah laying the ball off to a rampaging Sobozlai.

x3 goals that way.

Forza forza forza
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Score the first and see what happens.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Tokyoite

• Kopite
  • Biggest Endo fan
I'm really numb to the EL at the moment. Just hope Mac and Endo get a break, they have been overplayed lately.

A win, in whatever form, and no injuries please. Need anything we can get to increase confidence atm.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
It really would as we'd have an entire game tomorrow and only need 2 goals then.

Hurrah!

:D
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
I really hope Danns starts.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
Klopp used to talk about ‘playing angry’. I hope that message has been conveyed to the team

Offline lfc_col

• Legacy Fan
  • And Could He Play!
A couple of early goals for us who knows what might happen we still have an outside chance
We Won It Six Times

JFT 97

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Lets get stuck into these Cornetto eating, Peroni drinking, pizza making, Vespa riding, Gondola sailing, passionate speaking, tenor crooning, wonky tower building Italians and show them that we are Liverpool!!  ;D

UP JURGENS RED ARMY!
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Online Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
Is it maybe almost a blessing in disguise this game?

There really isn't much pressure - whilst we all hope (and some believe) we could turn it around there's no real expectation that we will, and it feels like both fans and players are less torn up about that prospect than if it were a CL knock out game. Kind of a free hit, nothing to lose game really (provided we don't take another 3-0 battering). Maybe means the players can shake this nervous energy and play with a bit more freedom, and hopefully, get back in the groove a bit. An opportunity for a mini reset with no real pressure on the outcome, if you will. Also maybe an opportunity to give Jota, Trent and Jones some minutes to regain sharpness.

Think it's incredibly difficult to see us score four unanswered goals (and I'd rather we didn't have to play ET which would make getting a result on Sunday 10x more difficult), but I'd like to see us give it a go and restore a bit of form/confidence if nothing else.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 03:19:18 pm by Haggis36 »

Offline stjohns

• ambliance or precinct we're not sure......
  • Legacy Fan
Lets get stuck into these Cornetto eating, Peroni drinking, pizza making, Vespa riding, Gondola sailing, passionate speaking, tenor crooning, wonky tower building Italians and show them that we are Liverpool!!  ;D

UP JURGENS RED ARMY!

Ahem, you don’t sail a Gondola, you row it. 😉

Offline daindan

• lyin clock......
  • Legacy Fan
We havnt kept a clean sheet away from home in the Europa league this season. I think we will win on the night, whether that’s enough to see us through depends on if we keep a clean sheet and how we respond to a small hostile crowd. When we beat them 5-0 it was an empty stadium so we have no experience of that. I’m going 3-1 to us as I can’t see us keeping a clean sheet.

Offline Lisan Al Gaib

• Main Stander
  • Lead them to Paradise
I really hope Danns starts.

Can absolutely guarantee he won't start this game, if he's even on the bench for the game he won't come on.

Offline Cafe De Paris

• Kopite
  • Up the Red Men
No one expected PSG to go to Barca and score 4. Hope we play the strongest team possible and the lads are told go and show them who you really are.
LFC a bastion of invincibility.

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
Ahem, you don’t sail a Gondola, you row it. 😉

:D true
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
When’s the last time we Blitz a team?

United. We just didn't score.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Offline Dubred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
We've gotten into a bit of a rut lately and lost momentum.

Winning this game, and convincingly is exactly what we need for the rest of the season. 

This is a huge game not just for this competition, but the rest of the season too.

Offline Dougle

• and the bleu cat!
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Believe it or not, I’m actually sat in Linate airport waiting to come home and have been down the road from Bergamo all day where I’ve been chatting to some (very decent) Atalanta fans.

Their take is that through all the shit (and I was up there watching it) we still created enough chances to put them away and despite being present for that, they were talking pretty sound sense insomuch as that was their cup final and to come out of it like they did was way beyond their expectations. We of course got talking about Crystal Palace and they (not me!) were saying again, we created enough chances to kill that game three times over.

Now I am not for one minute saying that we are going to go through as it’s not just the one game that we’ve been that rank in our finishing, but the fact does remain, that we are still totally and utterly dominating games and creating enough chances to sink a battleship. If we were not doing that, it would be a case of “well done Atalanta - fill yer boots in the semis” but something causes me to pause here and say “not so fast”

Slim as it is, we have a chance. Confidence is at an all-time low all around us, but all it takes is for one spark. One moment and we’re back off again. Whether this comes after Sunday is another matter, but all hope is never lost with this side, so all we can do is hope and pray to Fowler that Thursday will be the night it happens this season.

Back to their fans - they are more than aware that we’re capable of coming back and they were not being false when they were talking of how we’re by far their better team (even though we are not showing it right now) Atalanta have their weaknesses and when I was listening to them, the chances we created exposed them, but we of course, didn’t take them. Bear in mind that we now have Jota back properly and a viable option to start whereas last Thursday was his first foray back. Same with Trent. Same with Ali. Midfield will be key, because they outmuscled us and our movement was non-existent of course which didn’t help, but here we are: 3-0 down at half time and everything stacked against us. The old adage of “get one early and see what happens” is - as always - still very prevalent and must be our mantra. We’re more than capable of starting fast (see what we done against Sparta Prague) and we have to very much be in that frame of mind. We know we have the goals in us despite our best efforts lately and more than enough to outscore anyone on the day. Just got to hope that it happens again.

One small fact that I think has been massively underplayed - Arsenal losing has given us that lifeline again. Faint and tenuous as it is, but it;s not as bleak as it could be after the final whistle. Are we a better side than Atalanta? Most definitely. Like Dua Lipa says “one kiss is all it takes” Well, I don’t want a kiss, but I do want a goal and I’ll make the bold prediction that if we do score first we’ll go through. Concede again, and sayonara of course.

Those lads I was talking to today in Vermacate has possibly given me false hope, but they were genuine enough and they are seriously fearful that if we do get our tails up then we could turn them over big time. All that said, I’ll take us winning and not conceding for once. Just need something to cling on after the past week, but if any of the lads are on here, they do expect a backlash and if (and that’s a fucking big if) you can get into ‘em early doors, that would be exceptionally nice, thank you very much.

Minimum expectation: Just fucking go for it and see what happens. The last thing any of us want to see is a capitulation. Make their fears and our wishes come true, but just for the love of GOD don’t be utterly wank again.

Thanks for that post, good interesting one too.
My only (big, real) fear is giving up a bad goal first. Conversely if we score first then (see above post) it could be on. We haven't been able to stem leaking idiotic goals for what feels like a long time now so tomorrow would be a good time to start.
So, plan is, don't concede and score first.
I would keep some explosiveness on the bench i.e I wouldn't start our usual front 3. Take your pick.

Thanks Stockdam for the OP.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Pretty unstressed now.

Really wanted it to be a special one for Klopp as his last season, but the crowd can't be arsed and the players are knackered.

We've done really well to get to where we are even now with all the injuries and stuff going on. Wasn't really enjoying the season with the crap from PGMOL and the 115s ruining football.

If we even get a 1-0 tonight, that would be great. Progressing would be amazing, but unlikely.

Hoping that the end of the season is just a bit of a kick around now and next season we're comfortably mid table so I don't need to stress about stuff. Be nice if the season after we can have a bit of a crack at challenging for something, but I'm feeling pretty relaxed at the moment :)

The fans are as worn out as the players. You can't keep going behind every bloody game and it not have an effect. If any of the open goals we missed on Sunday went in the ground would have massively lifted.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
The fans are as worn out as the players. You can't keep going behind every bloody game and it not have an effect. If any of the open goals we missed on Sunday went in the ground would have massively lifted.
That Jones open goal is still haunting me. Hahaha!! Fucking hell.  ;D
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Online Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Hardly open goal, he had the keeper still to beat.

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97

Which would be understandable, if it was an open goal.
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Oldmanmick

• Legacy Fan
Us scoring first for a change would be nice, & it might put the shits up the Italians knowing that we're more than capable of overturning a 3-0 lead.

Offline Dave D

• Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich
  • Legacy Fan
There’s only one thing that needs to be said to the players.

Don’t let the Atalanta game last week be Jürgen’s last European game at Anfield. Just fucking go for it.

Offline kop306

• Anny Roader
looking forward to the game tomorrow

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
A liberating 4-0 win please.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline RedG13

• Legacy Fan
Great OP StockDam.
Excited for this game, I believe they can come back and win this