Author Topic: Memory Lane-------Manchester United  (Read 9344 times)

Offline 4pool

• Mr. ( last name) Minister Of Truth - 1984 to 1984. The first to do a Moyesed. A pore grammarist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
Memory Lane-------Manchester United
« on: February 15, 2006, 01:47:32 am »
Right it worked for Arsenal and stopped our blip... ;D

So how about those memories for Man Utd...from Super Dan, to Fowler singlehandedly ruining Cantona's return....... to..

One of my memories was being in Thailand for the 1996 FA Cup final and watching on Thia TV with Thia commentary..only to lose 1-0 and then calling my Mum back in the USA, as the match wasn't on tv back then like it is now..and after saying hello Mum..she knew right away we'd lost.

As we haven't beat them since the 1920's apparently in the FA Cup , if I heard that stat right.. it's time to put that right and this thread just might get rid of that jinx. As I said it worked for Arsenal....

Again..only memories no stuff about the match for Saturday.
Either we are a club of supporters or become a club of customers.

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
Re: Memory Lane-------Manchester United
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 01:59:02 am »
Hmmm. Losing to them in the 1977 Cup Final? Whilst living in Manchester at the time?? Not one of my favourite memories. A bit of a 'mare to be honest. Even when we were good and they were shite they were always a pain in the arse. That's probably why we hate/respect them so much.

Mind you, 4 days after that Cup Final we went on to become Champions of Europe for the first time. So think positive, yeah.  :)
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline Terry de Niro

• Cellar dweller fella, ya know
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Are you talkin' to me or chewin' a brick?
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 02:09:18 am »
When Graeme Souness smashed one in The Annie road end, 81 I believe...  Happy days.. :D

We won  1-0..

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:22:51 am »
In the F.A. Cup, being 1-0 up for 85 minutes, courtesy of Mickey O, in 1999 at OT, singing our hearts out, I won't mention what happened in the last 5 minutes though.

At Anfield, the classic 3-3 coming from 3 down, was one of my most memorable games in the old kop.

Also the 3-1 win in 2002 (I think) when Riise scored THAT goal, and the emotional Houllier mosiac took place.

Offline davidlam

• Main Stander
  • This Is God and Rafa
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:24:49 am »
And the Danny Murphy "hat-tricks" at Old Tradford - Hope he can score another one at White Hart Lane on April 17.

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2006, 02:38:42 am »
Shit yeah, I forgot about the second 1-0 Murphy game, killer pass from Gerrard last minute, Spud chips Barthez beautifully.

Amazing celebrations afterwards, but obviously there was murder outside the ground as always and our coach got bricked. :no

Offline Manila Vanilla

• aka Spud Balls!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
    • Baile Family Website
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2006, 03:14:52 am »
The best memory was a game that had little at stake - the last game of the season in April 1992.
In the morning Leeds had clinched the title, I think, by winning away to Sheffield United.
Man Utd had been a close second but it made their last game at Anfield academic.
All the same.....
Rush broke his duck. He'd scored against every other First Divison team and chose now to get his first against United.
Perfectly timed run for a through ball at the Anfield Road End. Left foot. 1-0.
That in itself was cause for satisfaction.
"You'll never win the League..." rang out for most of the game.
A few minutes from time Ray Houghton shot against the bar in front of the Kop and Mark Walters put the rebound in.
The United fans were kept in for an eternity after the final whistle and had to endure the Liverpool team's lap of honour, plus a lot more singing.
Twenty-five years without a Championship! If only we'd known what was to follow..!

Offline alllan

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 05:27:24 am »
Loads of great memories beating man u, but sadly the one that always sicks out is the 96 fa cup final. Was about 12 or 13 and travelled down to london on my own.

My heart sank when they scored, just sat there gutted and wanted to get out of london and home as soon as possible. Ive always hated london since and never been back yet.
"Luis Garcia was on to it in a flash. The striker still had 40 yards to goal, but anyone who saw Liverpool beating Juventus last season knew what would happen next."

Offline Branno

• Legacy Fan
  • Melbourne Scouse!
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2006, 06:28:23 am »
Cant remember the exact year (mid 80's) and we played them at Anfield in the Milk Cup. United had taken an early lead and not much was going our way.

About 15mins into the 2nd half Jan Molby flattens Whiteside with a body check  ;D on the half way line, runs and hits a screamer from about 25 yards out past Gary Bailey into the corner of the net. The Kop is going ballistic.

I had just manged to get myself off the floor and the restart was underway. Liverpool regain possesion and within a miunute we get a penalty. Molby slams it home so we've got from 0-1 to 2-1 in about a minute  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lost the 'detachable' hood off my Berghaus jacket    ;D
"I know this is a sad occasion but I think that Dixie would be amazed to know that even in death he could draw a bigger crowd than Everton can on a Saturday afternoon"......Bill Shankly

Offline Seri

• Main Stander
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 06:57:59 am »
Liverpool regain possesion and within a miunute we get a penalty. Molby slams it home so we've got from 0-1 to 2-1 in about a minute

If I remember rightly whatever the offence for the penalty was, it was a yard or two outside the box - don't get refs like that any more. Still he evened it up later on; we should have had another one that he didn't give.

Offline jtswaniesaussie13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 06:58:27 am »
we better win!!!
we will...revenge for twat ferdinand.
MWOH

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 08:08:35 am »
26-12-78

fondest memory of a match has to be above.
3-0 win at the Theatre of Screams
Got so drunk after the game I proposed to my missus on the way home.
will try and find the story and link

Theres two stories of games against the mancs on
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=19220.0

one at the top, one at the bottom
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 08:33:18 am by WOOLTONIAN »
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Shauniboy

• Anny Roader
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 08:44:58 am »
Well in Wooltonian, Boxing Day 78, I had forgot about that, one of the best days of my life.Endless singing,total air of menace and all on the terracing. (Oh and no day trippers fucking up YNWA)

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 08:48:40 am »
Defeats:

-Them ending our league titles hopes at Anfield. We lost 3-1. They scored all headers, courtesy of David James blunders.

-Sami Hyppia sent off and then they put 4 at Old Trafford.

-Rio

Victories

-Australian Craig Johnston sealing the league at Old Trafford in 1982, Aston Villa overtook Manure for second place.

-April 24th, 2004. Murphy scoring from the penalty spot, after the inbred brought down Gerrard.

-League cup final 2003, dog died that week :(, and I needed some cheering up. :)
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline soleil rouge

• Main Stander
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 08:57:19 am »
My firts trip to anfield from Ireland. I think it was Cantonas frist return to Anfield. Fowler scores a second with a beautiful free kick into the top corner - we won two-nil. Was in a seat right on the edge of the pitch with my mate and Cantona was playing left wing and we gave him dogs abuse and hsubtly flashed his crack at us. Collymore an fFowler were superb that day and I had just fallen for a beauty called Ann - Ann Field. It was a ten hour ferry ride home on a cattle ship - little did I know it was all just preparation for Istanbul.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 09:05:08 am »
What about Beardsley's hat-trick in a 4-0 win, think it was September 1990 when we made that record breaking start to the season. We were 3 up at half time, I was only about 11 at the time and the bloke in the Kemlyn next to me was going absolutely crazy! My dad took me and a Welsh uncle to the game who wasn't really into football. He just sat there bemused whilst the whole place was going mental!

Been mentioned already but the 2-0 in 92 was a great memory as well: "You lost the league on Merseyside" etc

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 09:35:09 am »
Timeline
the mersey Tunnel, "Queensway" started

1925 Liverpool vs Manchester United
Music of the day (click the link)
http://vintage-recordings.com/realaudio/roar1a6.ram

Headline of the Day
"Manchester for Skill - Liverpool for Goals"

A Big gate was expected today as the Manchester United fans arrived in force.
Arriving at 1.30pm they had lots of time to enjoy an aperitif in The Arkles.

Liverpool line up

Scott

Lucas    MacKinlay

MacNabb   Cockburn   Bromilow

Rawlings  Walsh  Forshaw  Chambers  Hopkin

The filthy day prevented a huge crowd today and the Spion Kop has rarely looked so deserted.
Fortunately, when the game started the conditions did improve a little and with the Manchester crowd present, producing some enthusiasm for their side, there was plenty of promise of sparkle for a joyful game.
Frank Barson dominated the early portion of play, and, like Tommy Boyle in his prime days at Burnley, he showed that he could engineer a throw-in with success.
Every time he got a throw in he made use of the ball.
It was he, too, who brought a surprise packet to the home goalkeeper by making an up-the-middle pass that Bromilow caught and passed back quickly when only two yards away from Scott.
The wet ball eluded Scott at the first time of asking, but he then produced his customary “dummy” move and cleared.

Smith, in the Manchester forwards, was clever, but rather overworked the dribble.
There would have been a stoppage for a “windy” affair in which McKinlay was concerned, but he very decently waved referee Haworth, of Blackburn, to play on. Later, the same player came in for further applause by the cunning way he got his body in the way of Spence, and by the way he stabbed the ball back to prevent what was a possible goal.
Apart from Spence, who was quite close with a highish drive, the shooting was not so clever from the East Lancs team.
Hopkin sent one ball outside and after there had been rather too many fouls for hands to count, Walsh did well hitting the target from an oblique angle, from the resulting free kick.

Chambers did even better on the next Liverpool attack. Controlling the ball on his chest with his back to the goal, he turned an hit a scorcher that must have warmed Stewards hands.
On the next foray, Chambers ran a half of the length of the field, with Barson and two others snapping at his heels, without being able to catch the wiry man.
And when the ball the ball was pushed through to Rawlings, who had moved into the centre forwards position, a goal seemed the most certain outcome.
That is, until Steward dived at his feet and smothered the ball.
It was a lovely interlude.

Play became very lively from this point onwards, Manchester’s right winger Spence, being very useful and intertwining in position with Hilditch, in excellent manner.
They both made admirable responses to clever Barson’s passes with the outside of the foot.
Lockhead on a through pass from Mann, made a drive that Scott handled securely and well in his usual manner.
At the other end, Steward had no work to attend to for some time, until his captain passed back in no uncertain manner, more resembling a shot than a pass.
Steward calmly made the save as though they were used to doing this sort of thing as a defensive measure every week.
A Second shot from Lockhead was registered moments later, but in reverse, this looked more like a pass back to Scott, rather than a shot.

Suddenly a quick throw by Scott found Chambers on the right wing, with Walsh the most prominent player.
No one seemed to know the reason of Chambers appearance on the right, except that he had drifted over that way in the ordinary course of play. But it so happened that he stayed there long enough to see a goal scored, before he returned to his true position.
“Smiler” on receipt of the quick throw, played an immediate ball down the middle, which Forshaw controlled in a single movement. As the ball dropped Forshaw unleashed a ferocious right footed drive that fizzed low across the Anfield turf and into the right hand side of the net.
Steward was so caught unawares, he didn’t move.
It didn’t just surprise Steward, it surprised everyone and to be candid, it was not on the run of play.
A lead that Liverpool could only justify by saying “Manchester’s failings in front of goal are no concerns of ours”
The goal was scored in the 21st minute.

Manchester had certainly been the cleverer side so far, their methods were prompt, pretty and scooped up the ground in no uncertain manner, but all movements were void of a clinical finish.
In the second portion of the first half, United had not so much of the game. But there was an occasion when McPherson centred so well that it looked odds on a goal.
Lockhead however made a pigs ear of his drag shot and the ball simply drifted wide of the left hand post.

Nothing was better in the first half than the positional play of McKinlay, who sized up two moves ahead and was able to intercept balls to Spence time after time.
Also noteworthy was Lucas’s new style of defence, where he lay full length on the ball, which is all very well, so long as you don’t get a good kicking while your there.
Admitting that the ball was hard to time, because it was running badly and allowing for other circumstance. Liverpool had shown more decision in front of goal than their rivals.
For instance, Forshaw had a further snap chance, and had he caught the ball just a little more fully, he would have gained his second point.

Approaching the interval, Walsh delivered a shot which cannoned off Moore for a corner.
This corner led to an immediate other from the opposite side, when Steward saved from Walsh.
The third corner of the trot saw Walsh block attempted clearances four times, the last with his knees stretched apart, prevented Manchester defenders clearing, but at a personal cost. I don’t know about him, but it brought tears to my eyes and all those around me.
Never has the magic sponge been required to work miracles so much.

The half ended on a good note for the home fans. Chambers unleashed a monster drive, which was saved by the fists of Steward. No goalkeeper could have caught it, it was travelling so fast it would have passed a model ‘t’.
Manchester was proving to be a very solid defensive line, if only they had been as good in front of goal as at the back and in the middle, they would have been a very awkward side to hold.
But the half ended with Liverpool a goal to the good and opportunities galore to be further ahead.

Half Time :- Liverpool 1 Manchester United nil

No sooner had the second half started, United showed the same failings as in the first half.
McPherson was clear, but he delayed his shot long enough for McKinlay to slide in and cut off his drive.
Just after Spence, the most dangerous of the United forwards, went close, but again he was stopped by McKinlay.
Lucas blocked a Rennox shot minutes later that was heading goal bound.
For all the attacks United were throwing at Liverpool, Scott had seen no action due to his stalwart defensive line.

Then came a break, Forshaw controlled the ball in the centre and swept right. Rawlings reading the play moved inside. Forshaw feigned inside but overtook Silcock down the flank. Forshaw offered a nice centre to the middle of the goal, where Rawlings had anticipated the cross. His downward header caused Steward all sorts of problems, but somehow the keeper held on.
Steward had performed miracles last week at Maine Road, but today he was looking decidedly dodgy.
Rawlings went quite close again shortly after and in doing so gave a perfect impression of Steward, who at every save puffed out his cheeks.

He was puffing out quite a bit over the next few minutes having to make saves from a Chambers lob, A Forshaw bullet and a well placed effort from Walsh which saw the keeper diving full stretch to his right.
The ever increasing numbers on the Spion Kop, probably due to the half time gate, began to smell blood and the famous “Kop Roar” reached deafening proportions.
Spence conjured up a little piece of magic in the next play, when he tried to chip Scott from the wing, but a backward dive by Scott finger tipped the ball over the bar for a corner.
When Lockhead met the corner with a powerful header, all assembled thought it was destined to be the equaliser, but Scott, not only saved the incoming cannon-ball, he held it.
You had to laugh, even when United did beat the defenders, there was little hope of them beating the brick-wall goalkeeping, being shown by Scott. He was simply magnificent, not just this week, every week.

Yet another quick throw by Scott saw Forshaw racing forward, who having gathered three men on him, elected to shoot, but found the ball clogged in the treacle like surface that was now forming.
The ball came back to him of a defenders heel and he neatly slipped the ball to Chambers who had continued his run, with one momentary glance up, Chambers released a thunderbolt, which never rose above six inches from the turf.
Which Steward only fingered, without being able to do as much as the firm of Barkers. (make your own minds up on that one, it lost me)
Chambers goal was a highly popular one and was celebrated rather over zealously, by the now, near bursting kop.
Little did the half timers realise that Liverpool were still scoring against the balance of the whole game play.
In fact, the Liverpool half backs as a line were still being totally outplayed, and in truth they were far from impressive.

A peculiar incident followed next and this will take some following.
Liverpool attacked through Hopkin, his cross was hit on the volley by Chambers, who completely mis-timed his effort. His effort was met by Rawlings who headed on goal.
His header was punched away by the keeper, which fell at the feet of Cockburn.
Cockburn made a strong drive, which rebounded of a defender to Forshaw.
Forshaw appeared to head toward an empty goal, but up like a jack-in-the-box came Steward from an earlier dive. He palmed away the header to the feet of Chambers, whose first time shot was caught by Steward. Five minutes ? No the entire episode was complete in five seconds.
It was like watching a steely in a bagatelle board.

Liverpool were now growing in confidence and were in ascendancy, spurred on by United’s ineptness at the other end.
Ever pushing forward, Manchester had no option but to go in full retreat.
Liverpool were not content with a two goal margin and after fine individual skills by Chambers, Forshaw hit one of his heartiest and best which flew into the net from all of thirty yards. Eleven goal keepers would not have kept that one out, let alone Steward.
The whole ground stood, and applauded an effort which must be one of the best ever seen. As the players all shook hands returning to the half way line, a feeling was going around the ground, that this game was about to ignite.
The game changed totally.
Liverpool half backs seemed to find a new confidence, spurred on by McKinlay increasing their numbers.
Rawlings went close, but a one handed punch by Steward saved the blushes.
Bromilow fired a rocket, which came back off the upright.
McKinlay, always one who wants to get involved in attack, fired one that could have ended up at the Pier Head. At least the ball was never to be seen again.

The “Boys from the Village” on the Bullens-road side began their chant of “One, two, three, four, five” when after Hopkin and Rawlings supplied the fuel, Forshaw lit the taper of his latest rocket.
Whoosh, I swear it was harder than the last one. If the goal had been bricked-up it would still have hit the net.
Four nil to Liverpool and Forshaw had once again secured his hat-trick of the afternoons proceedings.
Surely it doesn’t get much better than this.
The Bullens Road side boys kicked the kop into gear.
One Two, One Two Three, One Two Three Four, One Two Three Four Five, Five-Nil
Prior to today, the song had found little occasion to be aired, as Liverpool had only scored four goals in four games. Today however they had equalled that and there was still twenty minutes to go.

The famous “Kop roar” that greeted the latest and lets hope not the final kick off of the game was just simply amazing.
If there had been any glass in the ground, I assure you it would have cracked.
The Manchester United line up for the kick off was a beaten side and what’s more, they knew it.
Wave after wave of Liverpool attacks battered against the shore of the Manchester defence.
The crowd of the Kop in unison were holding up a hand indicating the five, that not so much they wanted, they demanded.
A Chambers volley nearly met there demands, but Moore blocked it in his midriff and he doubled up like a closing book.
But this book had not reached it’s epilogue.

Rawlings collected the ball five yards into his own half, he turned and left Mann motionless, he pushed the ball forward, avoided the lunging tackle of Barson and fired one from outside the box.
The ball ended up in the net by where you would place a postage stamp.
Absolutely stunning, the Kop went wild, The Village Boys in the Bullens Road side were dancing and even the directors box stood up and clapped.
As Rawlings received his thanks from virtually ever player on the Liverpool team, the whole ground applauded.

As the Boys from the Bullens Road Side started chanting for SIX, the Referee decided to call a halt to proceedings, to the relief of the travelling fans and the disgust of the home fans.
There would be singing in the street tonight, even from those who didn’t take libation.

Liverpool’s finishing was truly awesome today, and I guess most people in time, will forget the early balance of play.
But as I said earlier “Manchester’s failings in front of goal are no concerns of Ours” !!
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 10:00:12 am »
Bit of class that Wooltonian.

Love the use of language in these pieces.

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 10:06:20 am »
Bit of class that Wooltonian.

Love the use of language in these pieces.

with a bit of luck, the bloody editor will take his finger out his arse and post the next installment soon ;D
and before any wag starts, they're my grandads memories not mine ;D

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2006, 11:14:58 am »
One that always sticks out in my mind is at Old Trafford I think 87/88 when we had that grey kit. Aldo scored a looping header at the scoreboard end and I think it ended up 1 -1. We all met outside Las Vegas in Town on the Sunday morning and jumped a train to Old Trafford staion. It was the days of the Green Barbour Jackets and all that!

Class!   
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline stonewall

• penalty
  • No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2006, 11:30:15 am »

One of my memories was a game at Anfield in '85(?) when we drew 1-1.. .Not the most exciting game, it was a Sunday kick-off live on telly. What makes it memorable is I remember a huge mob crowding the Manc bus as they arrived... The door opened... Bryan Robson was the first out - gave a clenched fist salute - not the wisest of moves. As he stepped off to a chorus of boos, the "My Old Man said to me... All the Mancs got VD" song he was greeted by a bottle and someone sprayed them with CS gas - welcome to Anfield mate!!

Offline Fat Tony

• Run Rosie Run!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2006, 11:34:31 am »
Theres two stories of games against the mancs on
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=19220.0

Thanks for sharing that Wooltonian, great read. :)

Offline Oddbod

• Kopite
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2006, 11:39:13 am »
The best memory was a game that had little at stake - the last game of the season in April 1992.
In the morning Leeds had clinched the title, I think, by winning away to Sheffield United.
Man Utd had been a close second but it made their last game at Anfield academic.
All the same.....
Rush broke his duck. He'd scored against every other First Divison team and chose now to get his first against United.
Perfectly timed run for a through ball at the Anfield Road End. Left foot. 1-0.
That in itself was cause for satisfaction.
"You'll never win the League..." rang out for most of the game.
A few minutes from time Ray Houghton shot against the bar in front of the Kop and Mark Walters put the rebound in.
The United fans were kept in for an eternity after the final whistle and had to endure the Liverpool team's lap of honour, plus a lot more singing.
Twenty-five years without a Championship! If only we'd known what was to follow..!

They needed to win that game to have any hope of staying in the running for the league. I remember the whole ground singing "You lost the league on Merseyside", and "Always look on the bright side of life" to wind the mancs up.

Also recall the mancs singing "Who the fuck do you support". We all responded "Leeds, Leeds, Leeds". They did not like that!!!!

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2006, 11:45:20 am »
One of my memories was a game at Anfield in '85(?) when we drew 1-1.. .Not the most exciting game, it was a Sunday kick-off live on telly. What makes it memorable is I remember a huge mob crowding the Manc bus as they arrived... The door opened... Bryan Robson was the first out - gave a clenched fist salute - not the wisest of moves. As he stepped off to a chorus of boos, the "My Old Man said to me... All the Mancs got VD" song he was greeted by a bottle and someone sprayed them with CS gas - welcome to Anfield mate!!

That was actually filmed when the cameras were at Anfield to film a documentary called Kenny!
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline Paul Ando

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Back Anfield Arnie.
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2006, 12:03:29 pm »
"Fuck off home, to Corwall you left cardiff with fuccck alll Steven Gerrard... Michael Owen sent you home, to Cornwall"

:D
***** BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA! BBA!*****

Offline redchiz

• No income tax, no VAT
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Reds are coming up the hill, boys...
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2006, 12:34:55 pm »
Well WOOLTONIAN can always be relied on to come up with the goods.

And as for "Keep your skirts on Mary-Ann" well I'm shocked.  :o Surely our grandparents didn't listen to filth like that?

Anyway, it's going straight on me moby!  ;D
"Rise like Lions after slumber
In unvanquishable number,
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many - they are few." Percy Bysshe Shelley

Offline bellinter

• Infamous author of 'The Joy of Hate'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2006, 06:17:28 pm »
My favorite would have to be the 1995/96 season and the return of Cantona..... Robbie gets 2 screamers. Then 2 months later they come to Anfield and he gets another 2. Forget about the cup!! Love it if he wasnt cuptied. LOVE IT!!
In ceremonies of the horsemen, even the pawn must hold a grudge.

Offline the red rebel

• Legacy Fan
  • our eyes hath seen the glory
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2006, 06:48:47 pm »
the souness goal was back in 78 terry btw, anyway  the 2-0 in 95 96 was about the best,  the 2-0 when jamie redknapp scored  wasnt far behind it. 

probs me fave was a 2-1 win at their place barnes got 2 .

Offline LpoolHope5*

• Kopite
  • been to all five big cup homecoming parades
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2006, 09:25:16 pm »
I lived in huyton till i was 12 then moved to knutsford cheshire which is a mixed town of posh and scots/mancs/scouse

my dad ran our football team and took all us 12 year old lads (including manc fans) to see lfc at OT.  We were on one of the sides looking through the fences, standing with them, which made it scary but double the fun for a young boy as i was then (im now 40!)

I dont know what year it was, perhaps I think it was 79/80, anyway reds beat em easy and my vivid memory is gordon mcqueen losing his temper, towards the end of the match cos he coundnt get near the reds to win the ball or even foul them.

The coach was quiet on the way home - except for me and my dad

Nicky Campbell: "How do you feel about all of the criticisms that are levelled at the city and at scousers?"

Phil Redmond: "You have to expect that sort of thing when you live at the centre of the universe"

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2006, 10:12:11 pm »
An old RAOTL post from archive:

Bit of a thread about Mancs v. Liverpool 1982

That for me was the nastiest, naughtiest most vicious game I'd ever been to ... ever. Midweek game and me and three mates took half a day and met up by Limey having a few in the Yankee the the central before we bought a few bottles and climbed on the ordinary at about three o'clock. Train was packed with hard core scals and we all knew other. No kids, no dads and lads, no women - we just had this feeling that it was just ordained to go off. Everyone knew each other from various away trips and a nasty mood became very prevalent and very real as we haded off to Manchester. What we didn't know until a bit later was that three of four trains had already departed Limey en-route, filled similarly. Train was chocker with bizzies and they looked nervous. Gets into Manchester and there seems to be thousands of scousers
everywhere. There's a mean atmosphere and once again it becomes very infectious. The Arndale gets hit, a few Manc dick heads came a wandering and had the shit kicked out of them and we knew, as did others, there was more tooled up Reds fans on those trains than probably any other journey. I'm not just talking about those slim pieces of red plastic - I mean ####in cleavers, meat knives and all that shit.
After the game which I think we lost we were kept in for half an hour - you could cut the atmosphere with any one of thne knives we were carrying. Then they let us out onto the forecourt where a few hundred "lads" were waiting. No one said anything, there was no plan ( we never had a plan ) but everyome immediately ran through the coppers who shit themselves and stood still then ran the Mancs all the way round to the Stretford End where people were still mingling around - cars, windows, every ####ing thing getting wrecked. Some "lads" tried to have a go - there were razors, knives - everything flying around. They got battered. It was in all the papers the next day, some Mancs got 140 odd stitches or something .... ouch.
Oh well, that's the way it was then.
A normal away game

Reply:
Yes, just a normal away game in those days Dug. Try telling that to today's scallies though. They just call you an owld arse. It's like going to ####in' church now compared to those days!

Peter.
Reply:
Don't mind admitting I think I hyper-ventillated a few times. A scarey era indeed. Woner what
happened to all the really bad lads. Probably all either all :-
a) Dead
b) Inside
c) Multi millionaire's.

Reply:
Still see a few of them round the southend. The ones I know have all retired now. Its too boring for them!, but I do know that they still love L.F.C. and to this day all came out of retirement the other year at ManU in the cup for a day out to remind them who's boss. Believe me these boys, now men, were not to be messsed with!

Offline Andyb

• Anny Roader
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2006, 10:12:32 pm »

At Anfield, the classic 3-3 coming from 3 down, was one of my most memorable games in the old kop.

as on  OOT i must admit to choosing the best games luckily, (Man U 3-3, Everton countless times,  Auxerre 3-0 Olympiacos, Juve and Chelsea '05)   

that 3-3 game sticks out as a classic   never say die, never walk alone etc.   Nigel cloughs face as he struck the second and seeing later on tv Razor's face as he headed the ball and someones head at the same time in the 84th min.

we no longer dream    we realise this is reality....we are this good!

Offline _Redman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2006, 10:16:02 pm »

That was actually filmed when the cameras were at Anfield to film a documentary called Kenny!

Anyone have that documentary?? maybe it's this:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00008T79H/qid=1140044077/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_2_3/026-0191967-6558849
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 10:55:45 pm by _Redman »

Online Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2006, 10:31:42 pm »
My favourite Man Utd game is the 2003 Worthington Cup Final. I was in the Anny Road for the game before when Dudek spilt the ball to Diego Forlan and I really felt for Jerzy that day not only because of the mistake but also because of all the shit the Mancs give him.

Anyway less 3 months later and Dudek put in a match winning performance between the sticks while messers Gerrard and Owen wrapped it up. The City Arms before the game was fantastic and we made far more noise than the Mancs in the Millennium Stadium.

Offline Red Floyd

• Main Stander
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2006, 11:11:31 pm »
The 85 FA Cup semi at woodison (2-2) was amazing ....... can't believe nobody has mentioned the events of that day (on and off the pitch)

.... needs a thread all of its own to be honest

Offline Shanty Bay Red

• Kemlynite
  • He shoots, he scores!
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 11:28:47 pm »
The first game at Anfield after Utd came back up from the 2nd Division.  They were allegedly hotstuff, managed by Tommy Docherty, with Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell etc.  Liverpool won 3-1 and the first goal was a real mix up between Stepney and ??.  Stepney went up for a cross and collided with one of his own players.  He promptly dropped th ball and Steve Heighway put it into an open goal  ;D

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2006, 05:30:13 am »
The first game at Anfield after Utd came back up from the 2nd Division.  They were allegedly hotstuff, managed by Tommy Docherty, with Gordon Hill, Steve Coppell etc.  Liverpool won 3-1 and the first goal was a real mix up between Stepney and ??.  Stepney went up for a cross and collided with one of his own players.  He promptly dropped th ball and Steve Heighway put it into an open goal  ;D

seem to remember it being paddy roache in goal for the mancs that day not stepney?

Offline kopkev

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2006, 05:35:56 am »
went to OT for the first time in 72 liverpool won 3-0 lawler,toshack? hughes, got battered at victoria station on way home even though i had a wooly accent

Offline Jim Price

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 10:19:36 am »
The 85 FA Cup semi at woodison (2-2) was amazing ....... can't believe nobody has mentioned the events of that day (on and off the pitch)

.... needs a thread all of its own to be honest

Yeah I remember that day well, I was only 9. Me Dad took us in The Clock on Walton Road, Mancs on one side us on the other, all was well until one of the Mancs got their arse slashed and hell broke loose. I got shoved in the ladies (I was a bit of a shithouse at that age), and every now and then the door would swing open and you'd see a bar stool flying through the air, I think just about every window was put through. Proper Wild West action. Started walking up to the ground every pub had been shut, can't remember seeing that since at Liverpool or Everton.

Anyway I wasn't allowed to the replay due to my shithouse act on the Saturday. That's gone down in legend as well I believe.

As for the match, two equalisers, was it Whelan and Walsh, two crackers anyway if my memory's right.

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2006, 06:25:36 pm »
I have 5 happy days

The Murphy 1-0 free kick
The Murphy Penalty win 1-0
The Charity Shield 2001 win
RIISE CORKER 3-1 WIN
Owen and Gerrard score for League cup #7
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Offline Ginge

• Kemlynite
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 09:57:34 pm »
it's got to be when we dun them at cardiff 2003 only good thing to come from that season. played them off the park outsang them inside and outside the ground
KEEP FANS SCOUSE!!!

NO MORE WOOLS!!!