Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 522225 times)

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #6880 on: March 29, 2024, 10:28:14 pm »
Did Klopp just drop a hint that De Zerbi wouldnt suit us?

What did he say?

Offline kvarmeismydad

• Might regale ya with tales of footballing genitalia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6881 on: March 29, 2024, 10:29:40 pm »
He was cavorting with a local sports journalist and there was deemed to be a breach of trust with the players at the club.

For the data people, statistically, what's the chances he does that again in England?
@paulair

Offline 1918

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6882 on: March 29, 2024, 10:32:51 pm »
Unfortunate. Oh well. Disappointed, but Amorim is also an excellent prospect. Xabi and Amorim were the two choices I thought made the most sense. If Amorim also doesn’t work out I will be a little concerned. Not like it is a disaster, just that I think those are the two young managers that stand out the most.

The other options bandied about don’t really do it for me. I just don’t want a situation like where Klopp said no the first time, couldn’t get our guy, and ended up running in place until Klopp did come.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6883 on: March 29, 2024, 10:33:47 pm »
For the data people, statistically, what's the chances he does that again in England?

Depends how many female sports journos there are on the patch. Or he could switch sides and get into a relationship with James Pearce, that way we can find out for sure who we are going to buy.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6884 on: March 29, 2024, 10:35:02 pm »
What did he say?

He said De Zerbi’s football doesnt suit his personality. Praised him though and said its exciting. Feel like he didnt need to say that though and the fact that he has, could be something in that.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6885 on: March 29, 2024, 10:36:06 pm »
He praised the tax dodger too.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6886 on: March 29, 2024, 10:36:55 pm »
He praised the tax dodger too.

Yep and that could have been his hint that he should be the one we get.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #6887 on: March 29, 2024, 10:37:57 pm »
I think Alonso is being very smart here. Taking over from a manager of long tenure and success is invariably a fraught succession see United and Arsenal for examples. Alonso is also very early into his managerial career. I haven't a notion as to who should succeed Klopp. I don't want Mourinho and would be amazed if he was considered. Ange is showing potential but we need a proven winner at the highest level. Klopp had great pedigree when we hired him. I don't envy the owners in picking Klopp's successor.

Offline Haggis36

• purveyor of better gifs than trendisnotdestiny
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6888 on: March 29, 2024, 10:38:44 pm »
Watched the second half of the Sporting game - they pressed aggressively and created lots of chances, but their forwards were profligate and kept taking the wrong option. They also dive a lot which I'm hoping wouldn't be something he'd bring over here with him (Nunez managed to massively tone down that element of his game when he moved here from Portugal).

Wonder if Diaz would make a good LWB/LM in Amorim's system.

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6889 on: March 29, 2024, 10:39:32 pm »

As in he was aked a question and he answered it. There's nothing more to it.

Offline redbyrdz

• No to sub-optimal passing! Not content with one century, this girl does two together. Oh, and FUCK THE TORIES deh-deh-deh-deh!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6890 on: March 29, 2024, 10:41:51 pm »

It's not Klopp's decision. He's probably quite happy to praise everybody, because he'll be gone and it's nothing to do with him.
"I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us." - Bill Shankly

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6891 on: March 29, 2024, 10:42:58 pm »
As in he was aked a question and he answered it. There's nothing more to it.

Sometimes, but sometimes there is. Its more likely that it was just an honest acknowledgement of Alonso’s success rather than suggesting he signs for us. But with De Zerbi i feel the quotes will be more pointed as i have no idea why mention it.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6892 on: March 29, 2024, 10:43:29 pm »
It's not Klopp's decision. He's probably quite happy to praise everybody, because he'll be gone and it's nothing to do with him.

Probably. Think the De Zerbi quotes are more pointed though.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6893 on: March 29, 2024, 10:48:28 pm »
Sporting win 2-1 after being 1-0 down.   ;D

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6894 on: March 29, 2024, 10:49:31 pm »

Estrela-nbul

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6895 on: March 29, 2024, 10:49:54 pm »
Probably. Think the De Zerbi quotes are more pointed though.

They're not. Look up the Xabi praise from klopp a few weeks back.  You're just seeing things.  ;D

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #6896 on: March 29, 2024, 10:55:03 pm »

Mentality Monsters?
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6897 on: March 29, 2024, 10:55:17 pm »
They're not. Look up the Xabi praise from klopp a few weeks back.  You're just seeing things.  ;D

I get the praise and i get the praise of De Zerbi as well. Dont see why he had to throw in the line about not suiting his personality. The team is also moulded in Klopp’s personality as well.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6898 on: March 29, 2024, 10:56:54 pm »
Mentality Monsters?

Yes mate. Amorim has faced adversity unlike the tax dodger.

Offline Bread

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6899 on: March 29, 2024, 10:58:02 pm »
Klopp literally praises every manager right before he's about to face them. He literally called Thomas Frank "incredible" before we battered Brentford last month, called Eddie Howe "exceptional" before we battered Newcastle on NYD and called the owl "one of the greatest I've ever met".

Klopp is too polite to do anything other than heap praise on a fellow manager whenever the question comes up. And he's going to be asked this question a lot about different people between now and May. And he'll praise every single one of them. Looking for clues from a Klopp press conference will be like drawing blood from a stone.

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6900 on: March 29, 2024, 10:59:03 pm »
 ;D

Fernando Torres to shadow Jurgen Klopp during Liverpool’s build-up vs. Brighton.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6901 on: March 29, 2024, 11:02:20 pm »
;D ;D

Some big names on there. And the biggest club of all have a rumour that Shaun Goater is leaving them

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6902 on: March 29, 2024, 11:03:26 pm »
Sometimes, but sometimes there is. Its more likely that it was just an honest acknowledgement of Alonso’s success rather than suggesting he signs for us. But with De Zerbi i feel the quotes will be more pointed as i have no idea why mention it.

Think he’s just being honest. RDZ is cut from a similar type of cloth to Guardiola philosophically. That attention to detail, highly structured, technically-obsessed way of playing/coaching is very different to Klopp. Klopp could never coach like that. I’d love for us to continue playing as we do under our next manager but I’ve kind of resigned myself to a change no matter who comes in.

Offline Red1976

• Main Stander
« Reply #6903 on: March 29, 2024, 11:04:11 pm »
To be fair, I don't think it'd be particularly difficult to piss off the Bayern Munich players.

Aside from his alleged abrasive personality, is there anything in regards to Nagelsmann's footballing philosophy that'd be considered a red flag? If I remember correctly, his sacking from Bayern came as a huge shock at the time. Only 1 point behind Dortmund in the league, still competitive in the Champions League and the DFB-Pokal.

There were several mentioned reasons why Nagelsmann was sacked by Bayern Munich. One was that the XG stats showed that Bayern Munich were getting worse  in terms of team performance as the season continued; then there was stats that showed Bayern had the third worst record for close games in the league (defined as  by a one goal difference), which resembled a team performing as if they were fighting against relegation; the failure to develop young players; the falling-out with Manuel Neuer; and that Bayern wanted Tuchel, who they wanted before he joined PSG.  There must have been one or more of these reasons because Nagelsmann record at BM was quite good (about 71% win rate).  He also has some of the same footballing beliefs as Klopp, such as the Gegenpressing.

I am not convinced about Nagelsmann though as LFC manager. But then again none of the other options are stand-out candidates either.  I did read that Richard Hughes is an admirer of  De Zerbi's footballing philosophy? Read into that what you can.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 11:06:33 pm by Red1976 »

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6904 on: March 29, 2024, 11:11:17 pm »
Not that I'd have him as our manager, but is there a reason Sérgio Conceição is basically never linked to any big jobs? Feels like he's been at Porto forever and pretty much always has them in the Champions League, despite often losing his best players.

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #6905 on: March 29, 2024, 11:20:15 pm »
Got to have the turnaround like Alonso in the EL, otherwise it's not showing character, right?
And they did... Commence the praise!
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #6906 on: March 29, 2024, 11:25:33 pm »
Imagine if he turned up to Anfield via skateboard though, he’d be called a goth in about 30 seconds I reckon  ;D
A Goth managing Liverpool. I'd love it.  ;D
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Garlic Red

• Kopite
  • Pop n crisp
« Reply #6907 on: March 29, 2024, 11:25:43 pm »
Ben Jacobs saying Richard Hughes is leading the manager recruitment process. Howe does that make everyone feel?

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6908 on: March 29, 2024, 11:37:19 pm »
Ben Jacobs saying Richard Hughes is leading the manager recruitment process. Howe does that make everyone feel?

He isnt even in place to work for us. Also Liverpool will always be FSG’s main football asset so Edwards will be in charge.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #6909 on: March 29, 2024, 11:37:20 pm »
Still reckon we’ll get Xabi
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6910 on: March 29, 2024, 11:46:53 pm »
I think Alonso is being very smart here. Taking over from a manager of long tenure and success is invariably a fraught succession see United and Arsenal for examples. Alonso is also very early into his managerial career. I haven't a notion as to who should succeed Klopp. I don't want Mourinho and would be amazed if he was considered. Ange is showing potential but we need a proven winner at the highest level. Klopp had great pedigree when we hired him. I don't envy the owners in picking Klopp's successor.

Arsenal and United were very different situations. Both were run in a more old school way, with the manager controlling everything for many years. Wenger/Ferguson both left gaping holes in their clubs when they left, and both clubs responded by trying to hire a manager to fill that gap instead of setting up a structure to aid the new manager in advance. Both also left not particularly great squads behind; Arsenal were a mess and United won the title but were pretty old and largely won it due to a lack of competition and opponents often conceding defeat before kick off.

Klopp has had more control in recent seasons but the recruitment team never left, and now we have both Edwards and Hughes in place to ensure standards remain high and the manager just needs to focus on coaching. We also probably have the strongest squad we've ever had under Klopp, largely full of young players.

It's funny, people keep repeating this line that following a manager like Klopp is incredibly difficult, but if this is such a commonly held opinion then surely that means that expectations will be lower as a result, thus actually making Klopp relatively easy to follow on from?

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6911 on: March 29, 2024, 11:50:51 pm »
Still reckon we’ll get Xabi

Me too. Can see him building our team around Bellingham.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6912 on: March 29, 2024, 11:53:30 pm »
It's funny, people keep repeating this line that following a manager like Klopp is incredibly difficult, but if this is such a commonly held opinion then surely that means that expectations will be lower as a result, thus actually making Klopp relatively easy to follow on from?

Expectations are lowered really as a coping mechanism before the fact. But in the eyes of a manager or an individual, they cannot believe that they can come in and do a worse job and get away with it.

I actually dont think its the managerial change thats the issue, its more than the next manager will have to replace Klopp and his influence, whilst at the same time having probably to look at a life post elite versions of Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk etc. I know we have a good squad but bar Trent, our best players are over 30. Thats not the case at City (in the most part) and Arsenal.

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6913 on: March 30, 2024, 12:01:18 am »
Expectations are lowered really as a coping mechanism before the fact. But in the eyes of a manager or an individual, they cannot believe that they can come in and do a worse job and get away with it.

I actually dont think its the managerial change thats the issue, its more than the next manager will have to replace Klopp and his influence, whilst at the same time having probably to look at a life post elite versions of Salah, Robertson, Van Dijk etc. I know we have a good squad but bar Trent, our best players are over 30. Thats not the case at City (in the most part) and Arsenal.

That’s not true on City KDB is over 30 and clearly one of their best as is Walker in their system.

We have VVD/Salah over 30 that is normal for most sides and they’ll need to be replaced at some point.

I know Alisson is 30 but as a keeper he could have at least 5 years at the top if he stays healthy.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #6914 on: March 30, 2024, 12:02:32 am »
Me too. Can see him building our team around Bellingham.

Big step up from Sunderland.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6915 on: March 30, 2024, 12:04:20 am »
That’s not true on City KDB is over 30 and clearly one of their best as is Walker in their system.

We have VVD/Salah over 30 that is normal for most sides and they’ll need to be replaced at some point.

I know Alisson is 30 but as a keeper he could have at least 5 years at the top if he stays healthy.

Indeed but you go through their team and consider Walker, Dias, Rodri, Silva, Foden, Haaland and De Bruyne and 2 are 30 or older (albeit Dias is overrated).

Ours you would say Van Dijk, Konate, Trent, Robbo, Salah possibly Mac Allister. But in our case Salah and Van Dijk are literally our best two outfield players.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2024, 12:06:18 am by killer-heels »

Offline Legs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6916 on: March 30, 2024, 12:06:01 am »
Indeed but you go through their team and consider Walker, Dias, Rodri, Silva, Foden, Haaland and De Bruyne and 2 are 30 or older (albeit Dias is overrated).

Who is over 30 for us then? Same amount of players.

Robbo is 30 but he is likely to now be phased out more.

I’m not including Matip/Thiago who not be here.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #6917 on: March 30, 2024, 12:07:24 am »
Who is over 30 for us then? Same amount of players.

Robbo is 30 but he is likely to now be phased out more.

I’m not including Matip/Thiago who not be here.

Salah and Van Dijk are literally our two best outfield players. You also cant just disregard Robertson, he is still our best player on that side.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6918 on: March 30, 2024, 12:13:48 am »
The fact that Joyce has done a piece on Amorim makes me think it’s going to be him and it’s almost a formality.

Offline Egyptian36

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6919 on: March 30, 2024, 12:14:34 am »

Would be happy with Inzaghi. He is the only manager I can think of who is likely to win the 7th for us.