Author Topic: The Ultimate Movie Night Draft - Sign Up and Discussion Thread  (Read 84413 times)

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: The Ultimate Movie Night Draft - Sign Up and Discussion Thread
« Reply #160 on: September 22, 2017, 06:09:50 pm »
But then again I can't think of strong female lead movies where the male clearly becomes the focus of the movie.

I can think of a few that could be debated, that's for sure. I'll probably pick one them just so we can have the discussion  :D
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: September 22, 2017, 06:10:00 pm »
What constitutes a female lead? I don't think going by billing is helpful, as often that's simply the most well known actor or just the man! I can think of one in particular where the guy is top billed, but the woman narrates the film and is really an equal lead if not greater.

You could just pick a list made up primarily of Katherine Heigl rom-coms to avoid any confusion. That's what I'm going to do.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Internet Terrorist lvl VI
« Reply #162 on: September 22, 2017, 06:11:18 pm »
I can think of a few that could be debated, that's for sure. I'll probably pick one them just so we can have the discussion  :D

Well i'm planning on picking the one that I was thinking of in the above example. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Also what constitutes animated?

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: September 22, 2017, 06:12:32 pm »
But then again I can't think of strong female lead movies where the male clearly becomes the focus of the movie.

Three Men and a Little Lady?
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Betty Blue

• 37.2 deg @ 2am. Big Fat Scaredy Cat. "Tonight Matthew, I will be Lancelot Du Lac!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #164 on: September 22, 2017, 06:12:48 pm »
Well i'm planning on picking the one that I was thinking of in the above example. Guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

Also what constitutes animated?

Not 3 dimensional flesh and blood?
"Don’t let your heads drop. We’re Liverpool. You’re playing for Liverpool. Don’t forget that. You have to hold your heads high for the supporters. You have to do it for them." - Rafa Benitez, halftime, Istanbul, 2005.

Offline Chakan

• Chaka Chaka.....is in love with Aristotle but only for votes. The proud owner of some very private piles and an inflatable harem! Winner of RAWK's Carabao Cup captian contest.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: September 22, 2017, 06:13:36 pm »
Three Men and a Little Lady?

Well bugger, fine Hazell you can have that one then.

*stomps back to the drawing board.

Not 3 dimensional flesh and blood?

Sounds good to me :thumbup

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: September 22, 2017, 06:14:37 pm »
I was once "forced" to watch Pulp Fiction in black and white, couldn't get colour on the TV set  ???

It was just as good.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #167 on: September 22, 2017, 06:15:41 pm »
Another question I was wondering about was the black and white films that have occasional coloured elements. I can think of a couple of pretty well known modern ones. Would they count as monochrome for the purposes of this draft?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #168 on: September 22, 2017, 06:19:35 pm »
Another question I was wondering about was the black and white films that have occasional coloured elements. I can think of a couple of pretty well known modern ones. Would they count as monochrome for the purposes of this draft?

I would say not. The point of picking a B&W film is to give a bit of diversity to our picks and not as a gimmick as it sounds like it could be used here.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #169 on: September 22, 2017, 06:21:18 pm »
What constitutes a female lead? I don't think going by billing is helpful, as often that's simply the most well known actor or just the man! I can think of one in particular where the guy is top billed, but the woman narrates the film and is really an equal lead if not greater.
Just pick.....A la folie... pas du tout...or any one of the leads other films...she's invariably the lead in those films. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Klippity Klopp

• LFC. For life! Yes! Not just for Kloppmas.....nooo.....
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #170 on: September 22, 2017, 06:21:54 pm »
I would say not. The point of picking a B&W film is to give a bit of diversity to our picks and not as a gimmick as it sounds like it could be used here.

Oi Betty answer my question first!  ;D

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: September 22, 2017, 06:22:04 pm »
Ahhh Bloody Hell Lastrador I am ashamed to say I haven't seen 'There will be blood' yet but I've heard its fucking ace and been meaning to watch it for ages.

I have literally just grabbed the torrent and will 100% watch it before voting commences.

Glad I didn't watch the clip you posted as its the fucking end scene!!

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: September 22, 2017, 06:22:35 pm »

Are you saying it should be an older black and white film in that case, so Schindler's List, for example, wouldn't count? Not that I was thinking of picking that one but was considering another where they use infrequent coloured motifs in a similar way.

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #173 on: September 22, 2017, 06:23:26 pm »
Oi Betty answer my question first!  ;D

I'm actually not sure on that one. It seems a bit too sneaky to be honest. A way to swerve actually diversifying your picks.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: September 22, 2017, 06:24:17 pm »
I would say each pick should be assigned 1 category.

This is my female lead movie = x
This my black and white movie = y

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #175 on: September 22, 2017, 06:24:58 pm »
Are you saying it should be an older black and white film in that case, so Schindler's List, for example, wouldn't count? Not that I was thinking of picking that one but was considering another where they use infrequent coloured motifs in a similar way.

No, I just mean switching between B%W and colour is not a monochrome film. It's something else.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #176 on: September 22, 2017, 06:25:35 pm »
I'm actually not sure on that one. It seems a bit too sneaky to be honest. A way to swerve actually diversifying your picks.

I'd say keep them separate
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #177 on: September 22, 2017, 06:25:46 pm »
That would be down as a mix, B+W and colour.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #178 on: September 22, 2017, 06:26:28 pm »

Yeah I agree.

So each round you're trying to do one of the categories - no overlaps?

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #179 on: September 22, 2017, 06:27:56 pm »
Yeah I agree.

So each round you're trying to do one of the categories - no overlaps?

I think they can overlap, but you have to choose a category for each pick as Chakan suggested.

Offline KingLuis10

• Legacy Fan
  • He drinks sangria
« Reply #180 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:10 pm »
Hear ye, hear ye! Screw the categories and just let the masses pick some great films :D

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #181 on: September 22, 2017, 06:28:54 pm »
Hear ye, hear ye! Screw the categories and just let the masses pick some great films :D

They shouldn't be mutually exclusive ;)

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: September 22, 2017, 06:29:15 pm »
No, I just mean switching between B%W and colour is not a monochrome film. It's something else.

Sounds fair. But modern black and white films would count as being part of the black and white category as long as they were wholly monochromatic?

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #183 on: September 22, 2017, 06:30:13 pm »
I think they can overlap, but you have to choose a category for each pick as Chakan suggested.

Yeah that's what I meant.  Cool.  8)

Offline Betty Blue

• Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #184 on: September 22, 2017, 06:30:46 pm »

My original idea was to pick from different films genres. i.e. 1 x comedy, horror, sc-fi, world, action etc. That way it would be easier to compare cinemas too. But the other me thought that might get a bit messy with some films crossing numerous genre boundaries.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #185 on: September 22, 2017, 06:35:27 pm »
Half tempted to go for a 'what we used to watch at uni when we were drunk/high movie night' selection but not sure Leprechaun, Leprechaun 2, Flight to Hell, Beverley Hills Ninja, Freddy Got Fingered and Scary Movie would actually do that well
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #186 on: September 22, 2017, 06:35:34 pm »
My original idea was to pick from different films genres. i.e. 1 x comedy, horror, sc-fi, world, action etc. That way it would be easier to compare cinemas too. But the other me thought that might get a bit messy with some films crossing numerous genre boundaries.

Good job you didn't. There are very few horror films I like, or action films, although it's hard to define an action film, IMO.
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:13 pm »
Struggling with my female lead, delaying the decision ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #188 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:25 pm »
Good job you didn't. There are very few horror films I like, or action films, although it's hard to define an action film, IMO.

For shame. There's a ton of horrors and action movies.

Offline Lastrador

• Legacy Fan
  • Not Italian
« Reply #189 on: September 22, 2017, 06:36:39 pm »
Ahhh Bloody Hell Lastrador I am ashamed to say I haven't seen 'There will be blood' yet but I've heard its fucking ace and been meaning to watch it for ages.

I have literally just grabbed the torrent and will 100% watch it before voting commences.

Glad I didn't watch the clip you posted as its the fucking end scene!!
Haha yeah, good thing you didn't. Go watch it, you won't regret it.

It's a complete masterpiece in my opinion and probably the best movie of last decade. On a technical level it’s perfect: the soundtrack is as haunting and foreboding as it gets, the cinematography is just glorious with this kind of rugged film look that suits it perfectly. Then you have Daniel Day Lewis performance that’s just the work of a mad genius, he completely eats the screen.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #190 on: September 22, 2017, 06:40:11 pm »

You Weapon, taking Chinatown before I could.  :no
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2017, 06:40:15 pm »
Chinatown, perfect for a fun night in! I'm thinking of picking Requiem For a Dream six times. Just for the laughs.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Crimson_Tank

• Rhyming Slang. RAWK Virgil. Knows a proper spit-roast when he sees one.....something to do with the law of the bi.....Is truly a giant amongst the short staff.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Time is an illusion, Lunchtime, doubly so." F.P.
« Reply #192 on: September 22, 2017, 06:41:55 pm »
It is one of the timeless classics.
I watched a YouTube video and decided that Paul Konchesky looked like a player.
A dead animal is a dead animal. And a piece of meat is a piece of meat.

Offline Djozer

• Ujpest
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #193 on: September 22, 2017, 06:42:49 pm »
I'm thinking of picking Requiem For a Dream six times. Just for the laughs.

Well it does have a female lead. Sort of.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2017, 06:43:30 pm »
Nice the best Christmas movie gets picked!

Offline Klippity Klopp

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pEOVNmSR7_c" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pEOVNmSR7_c</a>

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2017, 06:44:31 pm »
Home Alone didn't get picked.

Offline Chakan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #197 on: September 22, 2017, 06:45:23 pm »
Home Alone didn't get picked.

Shows how your taste is...

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #198 on: September 22, 2017, 06:46:17 pm »

Great choice in the end, though - now put on some Sting and relax for a while  8)
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #199 on: September 22, 2017, 06:47:42 pm »
Great choice in the end, though - now put on some Sting and relax for a while  8)
:lmao