Author Topic: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?  (Read 8332 times)

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
Re: Has not being in Europe this season had any effect on the club?
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 10:26:08 pm »
Well we were in the EL last year with a shit manager and we now have less points compared to what we had at this point last year in comparative fixtures.....what do you think??
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:04 pm »
It's very bad for us not to be in Europe, i dont believe all that "concentrate on the league and we will get fourth" crap.

The fact is that we are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and if we want to continue to be we have to be participating in europe every year, we have a big enough squad to be in Europe too so having a very large squad can affect atmosphere in the dressing room.

And a big win in Europe by a large margin could have been an ice breaker for us and could have changed our domestic fortunes.

anyway lets hope it wont happen again...

Offline qesmithy

• Main Stander
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2012, 10:31:15 pm »
We miss Europe simply for the ability to try different things. I think we'd have seen a lot more youth if we had of been in the EL.

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2012, 11:28:39 pm »
Has it had any effect?

Well, inconsistent mid-table mediocrities don't have the "distraction" of Europe to contend with, and I'm afraid to say that's exactly the slippery slope we're at the top of and desperately digging our heels in against the slide.

Europe in either competitive form gives players a lift, a plaform outside of the weekly league drudge, that fatigue aside (which is what the concepts of squad and rotation are for) provides a very real motivational and aspirational benefit. It's a symbiotic relationship in my book, outside of the prestige of it all. Look at Stoke fucking City.

And firmly believing that, I shook my head at all those rose-tinted blerts who were stating categorically that no Europe would benefit our league form this campaign. Just as success breeds success, apathy has no goal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 11:33:55 pm by rossipersempre »
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2012, 11:32:23 pm »
If we were in the Champions League, we wouldn't of signed Charlie Adam, Stewart Downing, and Andy Carroll, not sure on Henderson.

Offline Billy The Kid

• Out of the closet with a whiet shirt on, but would pay a fiver not to be gay...Would prefer to give his manliness to someone rather than receive theirs especially Amir in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm Your Huckleberry
« Reply #45 on: January 23, 2012, 11:38:04 pm »
I'd fucking love the distraction of being in the European cup

I bet our players would too
When overtaken by defeat, as you may be many times, remember than mans faith in his own ability is tested many times before he is crowned with final victory. Defeats are nothing more than challenges to keep trying.” – Napoleon Hill.

Offline ALANM

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 23, 2012, 11:54:08 pm »
Positive - we don't have yellow and purple advertising hoardings, the Europa League music, and Thursday night football against teams from Eastern Europe that we've never heard of.

Negative - we don't have black and grey advertising hoardings, the Champions League music, and Tuesday/Wednesday night football against Barcelona, Real Madrid, Juventus, Inter, and London teams who've never won a European Cup between them.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 11:58:03 pm »
I'm giving us next season to get back into the Champions League. If we fail, I'm off to Bluemoon.

Offline tamadic

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 11:58:51 pm »
Sad to say that I think we and Spurs have swapped places now.
We are becoming the Spurs team couple seasons ago.

So, we will earn less if we couldn't make the top 4 once again.
But, if we invest wisely, we can turn around for sure.
I don't think ManC and Chelsea will stay in the top forever once the money is gone
Mancs will collapse once Fergie retires, the "luck" will eventually runs out for them.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #49 on: January 24, 2012, 12:01:54 am »
It's allowed us to play much stronger teams in the Carling Cup from the off.

It's probably limited the amount of opportunities for Kelly, Shelvey, Coates, Flanagan, Spearing et al have to start games at a decent level.
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2012, 12:08:17 am »
Jesus! People are happy with being in Europa League? Are they "happy" at this level? Sure Europa is probably the best we might get this season but some people here are making it out as if they'd be happy with Europa league every season! How standards have slipped. Do you know that theres a huge financial difference between the Champions League and Europa? Suarez was an exception but if we want to attach the best players we need to be in Champions League. Even if it's for the money, when financial fair play is enforced come this summer.

You can moan that it's not all about the money. I say stop living in the past. We ain't in the 80s anymore. We at a state where I'd be hard to break into Champions League football. You think we're the only ones that are gonna improve over the summer? Wait, I hear you say! We are in transition. So are Man Utd with their young squad, so is Chelsea with their new manager, so is Arsenal when they finally pull their fingers out and spend money, Spurs? Well people keep saying their wheels are gonna come off but that ain't happening. We keep getting Europa we gonna keep falling behind, unless we spend well and on the evidence so far. We haven't.

Seriously peed off with people accepting mediocrity ad accepting this as a standard from our team.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 12:11:25 am by Zelnaga »

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2012, 12:11:40 am »
Jesus! People are happy with being in Europa League? Are they "happy" at this level? Sure Europa is probably the best we might get this season but some people here are making it out as if they'd be happy with Europa league every season! How standards have slipped. Do you know that theres a huge financial difference between the Champions League and Europa? Suarez was an exception but if we want to attach the best players we need to be in Champions League. Even if it's for the money, when financial fair play is enforced come this summer.

You can moan that it's not all about the money. I say stop living in the past. We ain't in the 80s anymore. We at a state where I'd be hard to break into Champions League football. You think we're the only ones that are gonna improve over the summer? Wait, I hear you say! We are in transition. So are Man Utd with their young squad, so is Chelsea with their new manager, so is Arsenal when they finally pull their fingers out and spend money, Spurs? Well people keep saying their wheels are gonna come off but that ain't happening. We keep getting Europa we gonna keep falling behind, unless we spend well and on the evidence so far. We haven't.

Seriously peed off with people accepting mediocrity from our team.

Get a grip ffs, it would be a natural progression and demostrate the club his heading in the right direction. You'd don't go from 7th to 1st in a year.

So long as the club is showing we are taking steps forward year by year, that's all we can ask.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Zelnaga

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:40 am »
Get a grip ffs, it would be a natural progression and demostrate the club his heading in the right direction. You'd don't go from 7th to 1st in a year.

So long as the club is showing we are taking steps forward year by year, that's all we can ask.

Apart from the manager can you say the club has moved forward this year? In my opinion if we had its a tiny step forward considering the amount we spent. Some say we even regressing. It's not the end of the season yet, I'm not critising the team yet. I'll decidIe that at the end of the season. What I am critizing is the fans attitude towards the champions league.

Offline The Red artist.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • With hope in your heart.
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:48 am »
Not sure but i seem to remember some saying not being in the Europa would help our league form.

I hope that theory has now been put to bed , our young/fringe players are not getting games now , i reckon that has been a problem.

I agree mate, i think the extra games of the europa would'v given more game time to frnge players, who are simply not playing enough football. This could'v given said players form and confidence. Personally i've missed us palying in europe, the more we play the happier i am, and i'm sure thats how the players feel.
Y.N.W.A....J.F.T.96.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2012, 12:22:33 am »
Apart from the manager can you say the club has moved forward this year? In my opinion if we had its a tiny step forward considering the amount we spent. Some say we even regressing. It's not the end of the season yet, I'm not critising the team yet. I'll decidIe that at the end of the season. What I am critizing is the fans attitude towards the champions league.

I cannot comment on the progression until May, however our standard and quality of football has significantly improved under Kenny, we're doing well in both domestic cups and are yet to see out the domestic calender.

Why don't you wait until May and see where we are then eh?
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2012, 12:24:21 am »
I've saved loads of money
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2012, 12:26:03 am »
I don't think we'd be looking at Wembley (on two fronts) if we'd be in Europe this season. That's a possible positive.
What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 24, 2012, 12:38:41 am »

Natural progression going from 6th last season to 7th after halfway through the season, all that after spending shit loads and effectively having a handicap last season (With Hodgson in charge?), anything but progression thus far mate.

Offline Waka

• negative fucker
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2012, 01:17:28 am »
There was a big debate about this when a lot of people thought it will do us good for the coming season.

And to put it bluntly, it hasn't done us any favours. At least it would have given Kenny more options to try and experiment but who was to know about Suarez and Lucas this part of the season.
It's hard to point the finger but if we had pushed for a Europa league spot it may have kept some players on their toes and also given some others to prove themselves. Too many players have become
complacent with their positions and feel that putting on the red jersey is good enough to say that they have made it without any winning mentality.

Then again, Adam seems to be so drained, for him to be playing in Europe would probably leave him flatlined in hospital.

Offline theshirtmyfatherwore

• Main Stander
  • we had dreams and songs to sing.
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2012, 01:22:16 am »
LFC not being in europe full stop is never a good thing.

Saying that i dont think we'd settle for thursday nights , empty seats around the ground with C5 & ITV4s cameras gazing upon us every year.
To get UEFA cup next season and to have a good crack at it while giving some fringe/out of form players a shot along the way would be ok for next season.
Folloing that we need to get CL as soon as possible thats where we belong , thats how we become a dominating club again.

Although the UEFA cup shouldnt be viewed as tin pot in the way alot see it. granted its nothing like the CL but it still takes a strong team to win it and it still celebrated in style ala 2001.

saying that this is still middle case scenario , worse case there is no europe next seson.
BEST CASE SCENARION - WE GET BEHIND THE BOYS FOR THE REMAINING TIME AND GIVE EVERYTHING TO NICK 4th spot , the season isnt over Y.N.W.A

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2012, 06:25:54 am »
I fucking hate not seeing us in europe, it just doesn't feel right. It's a sign that we are no longer at the top table of football and Liverpool Football Club should be at the top table of football.

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2012, 06:51:14 am »
It's made getting back into the top four sooooooooo much easier. Foolish attitude of many last season not wanting to be in Europe. Liverpool should always be in Europe.

Not attutude per se just trying to see the positives.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Lenstar

• By Royal Appointment
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2012, 07:10:19 am »
I've saved loads of money

Me to, but I do miss the euro aways (and homes), few days away with the lads, beers, footy, sometimes decent warm weather.

Wifes happier now I'm home a bit more, but I'm sure the lads would have loved to have been in Europe. I am sure we would have seen the younger lads out too, which would have been of tremendous benefit

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #63 on: January 24, 2012, 06:19:26 pm »
The only 2 things its perhaps changed as yet is that its made it dificult to drop players who aren't performing. One week Kuyt's shit. Next week Carroll's shit. Ideally you want a lower-priority match to sort out whch one, or if both, should start the next match. The early stages would also have been an oppurtunity to perhaps get the likes of Flanagan, Wilson, Coates, Kelly, Doni, Maxi and even Coady some experience and game-time.

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #64 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »
At least its dispelled the myth about not being in Europe - we can concentrate on the League.

One thing about being in europe, some players were more suited to that 'style' of football and could put in good performances and then go missing in league matches. The last year without European football has shown some players are not up to the standards of contributing to Liverpool getting back into the Top 4, nevermind win the League.

Hopefully a win tomorrow, and a win at Wembley in Feb, means Kenny doesnt have to worry about qualifing for Europe via the League and we can start going into league matches with alot more attacking intent - going for a  win, not worrying about a loss, trying for that 4th spot. Also we need to start moulding the side if we do win the CC for next season.   

Offline gandalf50

• Kopite
  • Named "Most Naive poster on Rawk" by L666kop
« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2012, 06:43:12 pm »
Well, I was hoping the lack of European play would have our players ready to leave it on the pitch for every league match and get LFC over the issue with dropping points to the lower half of the league. That hasn't happened, at all so for me there has been no effect. We'll see how it effects the club's ability to lure and sign top players.
That may have more to do with the lack of any real rotation for the cup matches. We pretty much played the same 11 week in week out. Ended up with Lucas getting injured.
If the senior team had been kept fresh for the league who knows where we would be.
There really isn't.  I think a lot of us, even our own have started doubting it. It's time to rise up. And take what is rightfully ours. It's a big mountain, but what is the point in achieving something, which everyone can?

Fate has given us a mountain too big. We have to rise. We have to believe.

fowler9_god

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 24, 2012, 06:44:36 pm »
I fucking hate not seeing us in europe, it just doesn't feel right. It's a sign that we are no longer at the top table of football and Liverpool Football Club should be at the top table of football.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #67 on: January 24, 2012, 08:30:42 pm »
like it or not,  Europa League allowed youngsters to cut their teeth last season,  this season nothing,  moreover nothing about to break thru into the first team from the youth/reserve team

YES

Online StormyDog

• You know had only 4 shots on target
  • Legacy Fan
  • Give yourself the chance to be Heroes
« Reply #68 on: January 24, 2012, 08:58:49 pm »
Our UEFA coefficient will suffer and the long term consequences are not good,

On the pitch one could argue no Europe means players getting more rest but we've seen how that hasn't worked out for a multitude of reasons.

Hate to say it but competitively, given our current squad, we wouldn't have been able to compete much anyway.
We get a good run in the European B-league next year will get us a boost in the coefficient stakes, Earning more points than a lesser run in the CL.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #69 on: January 24, 2012, 09:05:31 pm »
We've taken the Carling Cup seriously and we can't blame Europe for our league form.

Offline Anthony

• Snot a Sailing Specialist. Has not signed for Manchester United. Misses Santa's knee!!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We don't need anyone to tell us this is golden...
« Reply #70 on: January 24, 2012, 09:12:08 pm »
We get a good run in the European B-league next year will get us a boost in the coefficient stakes, Earning more points than a lesser run in the CL.

And if we don't we'll have 2 bad years haunting us for the next 5 years!
"We will win the European Cup one day. Aim for the moon and end up among the stars" - Gérard Houllier 2001

Thankyou Rafa and Jürgen  for taking us to Heaven!

"Hicks could have purchased Dallas' MLS franchise but decided not to. 'In hindsight, I probably made the wrong decision' he said" - Sports Illustrated/AP 2007

Online StormyDog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2012, 12:04:31 am »
And if we don't we'll have 2 bad years haunting us for the next 5 years!
No, there is no reason why we wont finish high enough to qualify via the league, this is just our first chance.
Pep Guardiola: "We knew immediately when the draw was made - Anfield, they won it five times, the fans believe - it will be hard. We were beaten by an exceptional team."

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
No, there is no reason why we wont finish high enough to qualify via the league, this is just our first chance.
You may want to rethink this. If City goes through tomorrow, Cardiff will play in Europe (City in CL). And if a similar thing happens with the FA Cup, only the 5th placed team will play in Europa. Do you reckon 5th is guaranteed for us? Not with the current state of affairs, I'm afraid.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Online StormyDog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2012, 03:04:41 am »
Didn't say guaranteed, just that we have 3 chances for EL and even with your worse case we're still only 2 pts off 5th, 5pts off 4th.
1 pathetic game against Bolton does not destroy the progress we've made.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:24:15 am by StormyDog »

Offline lesknow

• Main Stander
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2012, 08:00:57 am »
You may want to rethink this. If City goes through tomorrow, Cardiff will play in Europe (City in CL). And if a similar thing happens with the FA Cup, only the 5th placed team will play in Europa. Do you reckon 5th is guaranteed for us? Not with the current state of affairs, I'm afraid.

That's the spirit, eh!

more of this please
I think this was 2001, in the Texas state legislature, they were trying to outlaw sodomy, while at the SAME time, trying to repeal the law against bestiality.
So potentially, you couldn't make love in the privacy of your own home, but you'd be able to go down to the local pound & have a good ol LEGAL Texas style dawg fuckin!
DO NOT MESS WITH TEXAS

Offline Jason_King

• Legacy Fan
  • Inspector of Wizard's sleeves and yawning donkeys
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2012, 09:40:21 am »
I think Europe would have hindered us to be honest.

We arent doing well in the league and playing more games gives us the chance of picking up more injuries.
A champion is someone who gets up when he can't

Offline WOOLTONIAN

• The Garston Gasworks XI.....aka "Beryl".....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Brodrick ; Vice Admiral of the Reds
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2012, 10:37:47 am »
If so, which positive or negative ramifications can we identify?

The positive of midweek games is more 'Practice' less Training.
It also gives the full squad more chance of games.
It is my opinion that it is more beneficial for both players and fans.
Living descendant of Sir Thomas Brodrick, Vice Admiral of the Red in the 18th Century

Offline Beerbelly

• Main Stander
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:12 am »
Has made no difference whatsoever. I just hope Andy Carrol can score ten goals before end of the season so they can get half decent price for him in the summer.

Offline Brentieke

• Vote King Hendo. Beaker's panic gif was modelled on his coupon. A seer & visionary - he saw how shite we are.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2012, 10:43:13 am »
The only negative is that some players aint getting enough game time.

The likes of Coates, Shelvey, Kelly et all should be playing alot more than they are now.

Apart from that, no bad effect. It doesnt restrict our signings. Not a single player worth his salt signs for a club because they're in the europa league.
My blog on Corruption in English Football and LFC Analysis.

http://diminbeirut.typepad.com/my-blog/

https://twitter.com/DimmyBad

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2012, 10:45:11 am »
The positive of midweek games is more 'Practice' less Training.
It also gives the full squad more chance of games.
It is my opinion that it is more beneficial for both players and fans.
100% agree

all those players that could be played into form especially the strikers carroll, kuyt. Kelly,maxi , coates, spearing etc would get more games (which in the group phases would possibly mean slightly less talented/important opposition)