Author Topic: Raheem Sterling  (Read 347152 times)

Offline RichardM

• should be revising rather than whining on here
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Raheem Sterling
« Reply #3200 on: February 16, 2013, 09:07:09 am »
Christ, this thread is an embarrassment.

Offline itsgunnabebarnes!

• Neghead. hard and gagging. Will never be Barnes
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3201 on: February 16, 2013, 09:08:14 am »
Leave it then, try the back button, save yourself the embarrassment
'Tramps like us, baby we were born to run!'

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
  • Is that Joe Pasquale? In the garden?
« Reply #3202 on: February 16, 2013, 09:11:04 am »
Ha, since I've seen him play. I just don't see him getting any better than he is now. I know people will say he is young and will improve, which he may do, but I doubt that will be to a high level.

I may be wrong, just how I see him.

What do you think we should do with him then?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3203 on: February 16, 2013, 09:13:44 am »
What do you think we should do with him then?

Keep him, great at the minute from off the bench when the game is stretch. I hope he does improve but can really see where the improvement can come from

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3204 on: February 16, 2013, 09:20:22 am »
Keep him, great at the minute from off the bench when the game is stretch. I hope he does improve but can really see where the improvement can come from

If you're saying he has no end product, then surely that's something he can work on/improve?

Also, if he has no end product, can't shoot and gets easily muscled off the ball, why is he great off the bench?

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3205 on: February 16, 2013, 09:22:49 am »
Because he can stretch play with his pace. He can work on stuff and can improve I just don't think that end level will ever be that good. Just my view. We will see.

Offline Bincey

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3206 on: February 16, 2013, 09:42:23 am »
Because he can stretch play with his pace. He can work on stuff and can improve I just don't think that end level will ever be that good. Just my view. We will see.

Such a shame he's managed to change your mind in only his first full professional season.

« Reply #636 on: March 13, 2011, 01:31:18 PM »
...sterling is like lennon wih significantly more product at the end.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3207 on: February 16, 2013, 09:49:43 am »
Ha, too bad it's changed for the worse hey.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3208 on: February 16, 2013, 09:51:11 am »
Ha, too bad it's changed for the worse hey.

Or maybe he just ran into a bit of bad form, like most 18-year-old wide-players who have had the expectations of a fanbase heaped upon their shoulders.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3209 on: February 16, 2013, 09:53:59 am »
Or maybe he just ran into a bit of bad form, like most 18-year-old wide-players who have had the expectations of a fanbase heaped upon their shoulders.

Maybe or he ain't good enough. There is no answer just opinions. You think you're right I suspect I am. Discussion on a website will never change that

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #3210 on: February 16, 2013, 10:10:48 am »
I think it definitely depends on how he develops physically over the next few years (DUH!). At the moment he just looks too small.

As for his pace, I don't see the speed merchant others seem to see. I think his acceleration is the real problem causer, but over any real substantial area of field, he's not all that quick. More a cheetah, than gazelle.

Ultimately, it's a waiting game.

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3211 on: February 16, 2013, 10:14:25 am »
Maybe or he ain't good enough. There is no answer just opinions. You think you're right I suspect I am. Discussion on a website will never change that

True enough.

I just think that you (and a handful of others) are being far too harsh on the lad though. Yes, he's lost that youthful, fearless approach he had in his first month-or-so of games here but that is no reason to suddenly put a cross through his name, especially when replacing it with 'Shaun Wright-Phillips'.

SWP was/is just a speed-merchant, Sterling is so much more than that.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3212 on: February 16, 2013, 10:15:51 am »
I certainly wouldn't complain, if he became a SWP of his earlier City days.

SWP was more than a speed merchant. Very unfair to say otherwise.

Offline L7S

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3213 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:27 am »
Always seems to be 2nd best most of the time now and not making runs when needed. Not sure what turned him into a passenger nowadays.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3214 on: February 16, 2013, 10:25:37 am »
But Sterling has twice as many goals as Shaun Wright-Phillips so far this season anyway. Six times the assists, too...

Offline El_Pistolero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3215 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:48 am »
SWP was more than a speed merchant. Very unfair to say otherwise.

Don't think it is at all, but I've never particularly rated him to be honest.

Sterling has more in his locker now than SWP ever had.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3216 on: February 16, 2013, 10:38:56 am »

This sort of exaggeration does nobody any favours.

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

Offline El_Pistolero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3217 on: February 16, 2013, 10:45:06 am »
This sort of exaggeration does nobody any favours.

Absolutely ridiculous statement.

Doesn't mean the execution is any better does it? There's 12/13 years between the two.

I stand by my comment though. Sterling's skill-set is wider than that of Wright-Phillip's, a so-so run of form and mass hysteria on the RAWK boards do not change that.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3218 on: February 16, 2013, 10:50:57 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHUKpaDCDw

Watch this, and then have a word with yourself

He could very well end up better than SWP but your comment is absolutely ridiculous

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3219 on: February 16, 2013, 10:52:58 am »
Doesn't mean the execution is any better is it? There's 12/13 years between the two.

I stand by my comment though.
I'm not talking about a 31 year old SWP.

I'm talking about a SWP in his pomp. If Sterling could 'only' reach that level, I wouldn't be complaining.

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3220 on: February 16, 2013, 11:04:09 am »
a so-so run of form and mass hysteria on the RAWK boards do not change that.
And a mass over-hyping after his first few games does not change the fact he might 'only' become a SWP level player.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3221 on: February 16, 2013, 11:07:15 am »
His through ball for joe coles goal against west ham shows theres more to his game than most give him credit for.
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3222 on: February 16, 2013, 11:48:44 am »
I'm not talking about a 31 year old SWP.

I'm talking about a SWP in his pomp. If Sterling could 'only' reach that level, I wouldn't be complaining.

Hmmm ... I would. I thought SWP was over-hyped and bombed badly at the top level.

Offline El_Pistolero

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3223 on: February 16, 2013, 12:15:44 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLHUKpaDCDw

Watch this, and then have a word with yourself

He could very well end up better than SWP but your comment is absolutely ridiculous

Only watched the first minute and a half and saw the same two goals about seven times. He has pace and a sweet shot, that's pretty much it for me.

Honestly do not see what's so ridiculous. Wright-Phillips at City was a decent player, effective but limited. Sterling obviously is not as good as he was yet, but his skill-set is wider.

This is a pretty pointless debate anyway. The lad's 18 and he will improve with time, if he ends up at Wright-Phillips' level though I'll be extremely disappointed as he can be so much more.

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3224 on: February 16, 2013, 12:30:29 pm »
This is a pretty pointless debate anyway. The lad's 18 and he will improve with time, if he ends up at Wright-Phillips' level though I'll be extremely disappointed as he can be so much more.
He'd be dissapointed in himself too, he's being compared to Barnes and ends up being SWP

Offline Armchair expert

• Almost makes you agree with Gove
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meet the new boss.....same as the old boss
« Reply #3225 on: February 16, 2013, 12:51:22 pm »
No you don't.

Hey a mind reader....mystic meg is alive and well.

Offline Gee, Stevie

• whinging aussie... why oh why oh why?....
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nummer neunzehn, bitte
« Reply #3226 on: February 16, 2013, 12:55:25 pm »
The most exciting moments of this season so far for me was when Suso came off the bench at Old Trafford and looked the most skillful & intelligent player on the pitch, and the couple of games (or parts of games) when Sterling was essentially playing as a striker with Suarez.

Clearly Sterling's current skill set make him a candidate to play on the wing; but his ability to pick the ball up with his back to goal, closely marked, turn, make space for himself, and THEN burn a defender for pace was very promising. Not necessarily for a future as a striker, but to show maturity, a close and controlled touch in traffic... He wasn't all about speed.

And what's this stuff about being a "merchant"? He sells pace? Doesn't even make sense

Offline -Willo-

• -the wisp-
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3227 on: February 16, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »
And a mass over-hyping after his first few games does not change the fact he might 'only' become a SWP level player.

Good point that mate, its only ever knee jerking when things are said negatively, I mean if Borini scores a double tomorrow and people start knee jerking positively I doubt you'll get a couple of posters on their back. You bring up a very good point about Sterling and I'd liken him to SWP too, that isn't a bad thing though as he was great during his first City stint, really, really good player.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #3228 on: February 16, 2013, 01:05:21 pm »
I've always found it odd that Brendan doesn't fancy him as a backup striker instead of Jonjo given his exceptional speed. The first person he reminded me of was Owen when I watched youth games of him (albeit playing out wide) because of those cheeky little goals getting in behind the defence.
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline The Infamous_LFC

• Doubting Thommo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3229 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:02 pm »
YOU make me sick. Mods please close this thread.

Online Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #3230 on: February 16, 2013, 04:57:00 pm »
The finality of some of the statements about Sterling. They're mind-boggling. These people who claim they know that Sterling won't be good enough. They're either unusually and fantastically perceptive followers of football or knee-jerking, self-pitying ignoramuses. I can't decide which.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Juan Loco

• down in Acapulco. LIkes 'em salty and succulent, the wee lambies!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We've got our valuation and we're sticking to it
« Reply #3231 on: February 16, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
... I'm sorry I have never been a fan...

But you gave it a good go though, eh?
"It's the football philosophy that counts, not the system."

A fully signed-up member of SPAS
The Stuart Pearce Apologist Society

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3232 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:59 pm »
Did people in here watch SWP at City? He was class.

Offline Gallardo

• Main Stander
« Reply #3233 on: February 16, 2013, 05:45:20 pm »
Sterling will turn out to be a great player for us. Not a "world beater" but still an important player. I think if we bring in a top wide player at the peak/towards the end of his career it could be hugely beneficial for Sterling's progress as a footballer.

Also the hype before Sterling's PL career didn't do him any good. Some people were expecting him to prove to be "World Class" and an immediate key part of our play. This level of expectation is too much for most young players

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3234 on: February 16, 2013, 06:36:00 pm »
Sterling will turn out to be a great player for us. Not a "world beater" but still an important player. I think if we bring in a top wide player at the peak/towards the end of his career it could be hugely beneficial for Sterling's progress as a footballer.

Also the hype before Sterling's PL career didn't do him any good. Some people were expecting him to prove to be "World Class" and an immediate key part of our play. This level of expectation is too much for most young players
Why are we thinking about 10-13 years down the line, there's still a lot the lad can do. It's not like his career has already been planned out to a tee, he still has his whole life ahead of him

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3235 on: February 17, 2013, 11:33:34 am »
The finality of some of the statements about Sterling. They're mind-boggling. These people who claim they know that Sterling won't be good enough. They're either unusually and fantastically perceptive followers of football or knee-jerking, self-pitying ignoramuses. I can't decide which.

I'm sure you have formed opinions on players before you hypocrite

Offline fatlip13

• Anny Roader
« Reply #3236 on: February 17, 2013, 11:57:39 am »
i hope he is hurt by his form lately and realises that he has a lot of developing to do. he can do very little about some "experts" who write him off. hopefully it inspires him because he will face a lot of it during his career.
next season he can develop without the pressure of being the next big thing. work hard in training and behave off the field and the rest will take care of itself.

Offline tomrob1989

• Main Stander
« Reply #3237 on: February 17, 2013, 12:04:05 pm »
i hope he is hurt by his form lately and realises that he has a lot of developing to do. he can do very little about some "experts" who write him off. hopefully it inspires him because he will face a lot of it during his career.
next season he can develop without the pressure of being the next big thing. work hard in training and behave off the field and the rest will take care of itself.

Good point. He's clearly talented but it's his attitude and off the field behaviour that concerns me. Hear some very dodgy stories about him and his multiple children, and with him hitting stardom before the age of twenty I'm incredibly concerned that he might end up going down the wrong path into distracted mediocrity. If he sorts himself out he will surely be some player though. Also worried about Rodgers ridiculous use of him...
THE WORD NEEDS SPREADING:
HE'S A HORRIBLE MAN, AND THE MEDIA MUST REALISE
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Alan-Pardew-is-a-Twat/538082336210344

Offline KirkVanHouten

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3238 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:38 pm »
He should retire, he's never going to make it. Crap player with average first touch. Not even a good dribbler. Only made it this far because of pace. If he's not world class by now he never will be. Players don't improve. He's only ever going to be as good as [insert former promising young winger, has to be black too].

My excessively pessimistic foresight makes me a 'realist' and if you think differently to me, well then you're living in dream land.

Offline Cpt_Reina

• Vibranium goalie gloves.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3239 on: February 17, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »
Good point. He's clearly talented but it's his attitude and off the field behaviour that concerns me. Hear some very dodgy stories about him and his multiple children, and with him hitting stardom before the age of twenty I'm incredibly concerned that he might end up going down the wrong path into distracted mediocrity. If he sorts himself out he will surely be some player though. Also worried about Rodgers ridiculous use of him...

He has one child. And seems to be quite a driven and grounded lad, to me anyway.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/raheem-sterling-interview-the-liverpool-starlet-1528167

Suggest you give that a read.